So I have an electric guitar sitting in the closet from when I was much younger when before I lost interest in trying...

So I have an electric guitar sitting in the closet from when I was much younger when before I lost interest in trying to learn how to play it. In order to better myself I thought for next year i'd like to try picking it up again and work on learning how to play throughout the year.

I expect it to be difficult, but how would one progress in the year trying to teach yourself. Are there any good online/free resources to learn how to play?

Any other advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6-8rqLzlid4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just play, there is no magic tricks. Hours of practice is the key. Pick fav song, Google for tabs and step by step improve your skills. That looks my way. Sry for English xD

I got frustrated learning chords, so I borrowed a bass for about 8 months and got decent. Guitar was much easier to learn afterwards.

First things first

Go get it setup from a local guitar shop and get a fresh pair of 9s on it.

Then go to Justin guitar and do the entire beginner and intermediate course. Between the beginner and intermediate course learn songs you can realistically learn.

After that’s it’s just scales and techniques and learning songs.

I'd still need to learn the basics before that I think

I've been playing for 11 years, there's not big secret, just practice, every day, you can play for half an hour you can play for 11 hours but play everyday, quite literally anything you can thing of as far as lessons and technique go is online

learn to read tabs + youtube tutorials

Music Theory can be self taught by books but theres classes too

Practice every single day and learn as much shit as possible. Spend real time practicing with purpose as well.

Youtube is your friend if you're autodidact enough

Buy a tuner right away though because it's awful to play out of tune and finding it manually is tedious in the beginning.

My first song was Black Sabbath Into the Void, it's quite long and difficult song for a beginner but after 2 months I was nailing it.

Another advice is to ONLY do the things you enjoy, that's most important.

It can help learning just 1 scale and learn how to improvise within it.

But yes, Effort x Time = Result.

Also I don't play with a pick as I really didn't like the feeling or pick-sound.

After 1 year or so I even fell back on my acoustic and went completely finger style. Its such a better tone that way IMO.

Never took a lesson btw OP, IMO waste of time and effort unless you want to go into an orchestra or something.

Tabs is super easy, notes are horrendous and outdated.

if you wanna get good quick, learn all the riffs from your favorite songs.
if you like hearing it right, you'll wanna play it right
also its more fun to learn fun stuff on guitar, and you get used to the patterns that show up

What are tabs?

youtube.com/watch?v=6-8rqLzlid4

if you really want to learn fast and easy just get rocksmith 2014 for console or pc with a real tone cable.
super easy and actually worth it

This.

Don't do this.

Worst advice In this thread, Rocksmith is such a shit gimmick to learn guitar.

>Any other advice?
start playing

Here is a website:
www.justinguitar.com

here's some advice - don't bother trying. if you lost interest the first time then you'll lose interest again

Found the suicidal user