Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums

Documentary and commercial director producer here. Anyone have any industry questions, or need advice? How's that pitch coming, tv?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/187281621
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Made anything of note?

how complete is the shift in good writers from movies to television? I listen to the Nerdist Writer's Panel a lot and it feels like anyone who writes screenplays in Hollywood is being told to abandon film and go to television.

How the FUCK do I get my foot in any sort of door living in fucking Indianapolis?

How have you not put a bullet to your head and continue to work in the industry?

When I was a vfx artist, I couldn't stand the culture. I'm glad I got out when I did, I was seriously contemplating ending it.

what sort of docos?

A lot of popular discovery and animal planet programming. Also some all state insurance commercials.

Are most VFX shops populated with the kind of retards who get a new tattoo every month and skateboard to work?

TV is seen as a writers haven as the head writers are often the showrunners in tv. Not the case in film.

But let's be clear, everyone wants to make MOVIES.

im trging to find sound engineering jobs on Craigslist but nothing ever pans out. i own all my own gear except for lapel mics, ill work for little to no pay to bud experience. what do?

Sorry m8, you'll have to move to LA (or to a lesser extent NY). I moved out here with zero experience and started as a post production PA (the lowest of the low). I am now a showrunner/EP.

Just move to LA and take whatever shit job you can get in the industry, and then claw your way up.

I took the last two years off for similar reasons. Just starting to run a new show. I feel you.

Luckily my new show films in Oregon until 2018, so I get to move back to my home state. Been in LA 9 years and it's been enough.

>But let's be clear, everyone wants to make MOVIES.

why? MOVIES have been shit lately.

Because of childhood fantasies, man. Everyone grew up going to the cinema and it tends to fuel the ambitions of most people out here.

You're correct that current commercial cinema is in terrible shape.

Ever couch any starlets?

No. I'm not Ratner. I have had some relationships with actresses, but nothing like what you're talking about.

Would have been cooler if you had, senpai.

stupid weeb question, but here we go:

does anyone in hollywood watch anime? Why the fuck is it so hard for people to understand that animation is a medium, not a genre, and that you can write adult drama and make an animated series from it?

vimeo.com/187281621

Sorry to disappoint you m8

Hey dude, no need to feel like it's a stupid question. Extremely uncommon as far as I've seen. I haven't watched any since middle school. No hate on my part, just not something that is widely viewed.

I do still own a copy of Akira that I got in early high school though.

Where are you based? What's your goal? You will need lav for anything doc/unscripted.

What gear you have, a boom and a mixer?

Is film school worth going through?

Also, how do you get people to fund your movies?

I did not go to film school. I think it's a valid pursuit if you have the money, but it's incredibly expensive. If you have some talent you're probably better off investing in producing a short film and submitting to festivals.

I'm represented by ICM and my shows are funded by networks. I have a lot of friends in independent film but that's not my niche. It's very hard to get a film funded these days.

Is hollywood really full of pedos?

Yes. Not any I know personally, but you hear stories. Singer is a gay pedo, I know that one.

the same kinds of guys that want to make video games are the same kind of guys who populate the vfx industry.

However it's pretty mixed. You'll find a mashup of nerds, hipsters, sjw's, hippy artists, and dbags. Had some of the best, and worst experiences in all my life working in a studio. This was more than 8 years ago, and I'm happy to have gotten out. Current job pays 3 times what I could ever make in that industry and none of the stresses in my current work have ever remotely come close to the shit i had to put up there.

Congrats. What's the new biz/salary?

I got into linux administration which eventually got me to current job as a lead security analyst/engineer.

Salary averages out about 115k a year.

Sounds rad! I think tech is cool but definitely not my field of expertise.

What's the salary like for that position?

Excellent. Location?

West coast is getting really expensive.

Central Texas, cost of living is fantastic.

A most interesting subject.
How would one go about making a documentary about documentary making?

Hmm... I suppose all you'd have to do is find a documentary film maker who would be ok with you following them around with a camera as they document their subject.

Is there a way I can answer this question better?

Thanks that sounds great when are you available to let me follow you and what is the subject?

I'm making a tv show about people who build tiny houses. I don't think it would be the most compelling subject for you.

Do you have gear? Shoot and edit yourself? Where are you based?

Everywhere I have been people pretty much said I was based, but all that other stuff about shooting up with the gear to edit yourself sounds like heroin talk and I think your heroin addiction and how it makes things seem so tiny would be a much better documentary to document.

8/8 m8. I'm turning in for the night, but good luck with whatever you film next!

You can't leave you are the star.