Just watched TFA for the first time. Been busy with life and work and just never got around to it until now

Just watched TFA for the first time. Been busy with life and work and just never got around to it until now.

For me, TFA was more "Sci-Fi Action Popcorn Movie" than "Star Wars movie."

Even with the prequels, Star Wars had a certain "feel" with its cinematography. I never went to film school so I can't say what it all is, but the angle shots, the dialogue, how the characters interacted with each other, etc., didn't feel like Star Wars.

Also, for a movie that emphasizes how much it was gonna cater to 70's and 80's kids with its practical effects and NO CGI, there was a lot of CGI in this movie. Not that I give a fuck in the least, but I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned this.

So many people desperate to love this movie, 90% of them think its the greatest thing ever but I don't see it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HgzxrwXHCoU
boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Just watched TFA for the first time

no you didn't

please blogpost in the 500 other existing star wars threads

Thanks for your review. It takes me back to 2015 when I was actually interested in reading reviews of the movie.

Isnt star wars a sci-fi action popcorn movie?

its not even scifi. but it is pure shit

No its a samurai western fantasy comedy space opera

The only way you would use the term scifi ajd star wars is saying star was has scifi elements

>didn't feel like Star Wars.

Is it, dare I say...

What the hell do you think cinematography means?

They never said they wouldn't use ANY CGI. The original star wars has fucking CGI. The practical effects were great. A lot of the new stuff has that distinct "star wars" look, don't know what you're going on about how it didn't feel like star wars.

Literally nobody has said this is the greatest thing ever made, you sensationalist dipshit. It is, however, better than the horrible prequel films.

Many people have in fact said its the greatest thing ever. The effects look like shit btw, the cgi is abysmal. As is the directing and acting. This shit was praised up the asshole

>It is, however, better than the horrible prequel films.
nope
The prequels aren't ADHD.

The review version of "First post, best post." First glance it seems a bit obnoxious in it's wording, but it really captures it perfectly. Based Roger.

this. there are zero kino moments in tfa. if you are one of those daisyfags who thinks the fucking panning third shot in the final battle is kino you are a pleb. there is nothing kino about this shit. even attack of the clones has some kino like the cantina scene.

ootah gunga alone btfo tfa

AOTC is pure kino

its underrated for sure, it was always my favorite of the prequels, looked great in IMAX and goat soundtrack

>fascimile

it's facsimile you retard

there's something odd about this image.. like it's trying to show something, i can't quite put my finger on it.. any ideas guys?

>dat shot

Its just trying to do look fuggin intense XD without using Rembrandt Lighting.

yeah that thing she's holding it reminds me off something.. im not sure what they were trying to put in our minds.. heh nah it's probably nothing just me overthinking things.

Its literally you thinking about BBC. Theres nothing to put in your mind when the flick does it for you

>shot in shitty digital at 2K
>looked great in IMAX
sure thing pleb

>pleb
>pleb
>pleb
literally commit suicide

it looked great in IMAX in 2002

>not knowing about IMAX's proprietary uprezzing format

Also, RAW 2K looks great at any size.

>Also, for a movie that emphasizes how much it was gonna cater to 70's and 80's kids with its practical effects and NO CGI, there was a lot of CGI in this movie.
This. I honestly have no problems with what kind of effects they use because it's Star Wars and everything looks unnatural to begin with. I also liked most of it anyway.
What I don't like is how they kept bragging about using practical effects for the majority of the film when the result was that they used more CGI than all the previous 6 films combined. I remember them saying that they used the real Falcon and X-wing ship they built for the shots in the trailer but this video below proves that it was a load of crap.
I remember them posting set photos of that lightsaber fight and boasting how they were using light up coloured lightsabers which was literally pointless since they CGI'd them in post production anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=HgzxrwXHCoU

>I remember them posting set photos of that lightsaber fight and boasting how they were using light up coloured lightsabers which was literally pointless since they CGI'd them in post production anyway.
yep

The prequels felt like Star Wars, TFA did not.

b-but but we put so much effort in making a dull remake!

Lol you have to be fucking crazy

/thread

It feels like a Marvel action flick with Star Wars costumes

Because thats exactly what it is

No, you just have to see the things for what they truly are.

I think it was to immerse the actors

>For me, TFA was more "Sci-Fi Action Popcorn Movie" than "Star Wars movie."

This is literally what Star Wars was until the prequels came along.

>Even with the prequels, Star Wars had a certain "feel" with its cinematography. I never went to film school so I can't say what it all is, but the angle shots, the dialogue, how the characters interacted with each other, etc., didn't feel like Star Wars

This I sort of agree with. I noticec the cinematography changes but it didn't really bother me all that much.

>Also, for a movie that emphasizes how much it was gonna cater to 70's and 80's kids with its practical effects and NO CGI, there was a lot of CGI in this movie. Not that I give a fuck in the least, but I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned this

They never said they weren't going to use CGI. They just said they wanted to use more practical effects than the prequels did. Which was true. There are plenty of times during the movie where they use puppets where the prequels or another modern sci fi movie would have just used cgi.

>They just said they wanted to use more practical effects than the prequels did.
>Which was true.

Not true.

The Phantom Menace alone had more practical work than the OT combined.

Sauce? I believe you, I just can't find anything that actually breaks the films down and compares their effects. But I only looked for a second.
I still think the TFA crew went out of their way to use practical effects more than the typical modern action movie does, and that's commendable.

>sauce
I swear i'm not making it up, but I don't have sauce on hand.
I know it's a quote from one of the SFX guys who did the prequels though.

Not the same guy but look here and
boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/
I don't think TFA used that much to be honest. They even used CGI for the faces of some of the puppets they used and there was even a droid that was literally a microphone from the 80s.

Not gonna lie. Lucas had some impressive shots in the Prequel Trilogy. Too bad about the writing and acting.

Good thing then that film is a primarily visual medium.

The First Order and the cartoon villainy feel of those characters ruined the movie desu