Well Sup Forums, I'm 30 years old. I have no kids, no gf and no post-secondary education to speak of...

Well Sup Forums, I'm 30 years old. I have no kids, no gf and no post-secondary education to speak of. Working an unskilled job that pays okay.

Thinking of become a transport truck driver. Thoughts, advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SlzwMKcCoMI&list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuckin do it. lots of time to yourself and access to some of the best hookers and amphetamines our great nation has to offer

I have a bachelors in computer science and I make more driving truck.

You'll be fucked unless you keep exercising daily

Also you'd be better off getting into IT to be a sysadmin. Just get some certs, learn some shit online, setup a homelab eventually and then lie your ass off saying you were a solo tech for yourself and took care of your fucking family or some shit - companies love the last part since IT people are generally asocial idiots.

do it

build a nest egg go to a reputable "guaranteed" school during holiday season

I drive. Good way to make money an travel bad thing is I like drugs so I have to worry about fucking up daily

While you do it record a daily vlog and upload it to youtube. You'll eventually get a lot of subscribers who want to know what its like and that will make you a nice side income.

actually like right fucking now is probably good

do something refrigerated, hazardous, delivery if you're in it for just cash

Get the fuck out! Why didn't you become an App developer or something? I love science but I can't sit in a fucking classroom, you know?

Awesome, great info

have you ever driven trucks?

those things doesn´t start at your age

>Just get some certs, learn some shit online,
you make it sound easy. I would be competing against much smarter people with masters degrees.

Yeah, I drove a 5-ton for a while.

STEM isnt so much where it's at unless you're electric or mechanical inclined

The competition at those levels is fierce

Before I even begin to type out a reply. What country are you in and if it's an English speaking one, what is your skin colour and are you a native (as in with an understandable accent so nothing from Asia, etc) speaker of English?
Yes, racism does matter when it comes to job.

decent companies aren't employing the principal's nephew who knows how to turn it on and off, everything is on paper by now your entire life

Canada
English-speaking province
White European

26 and hate my job doing package delivery. Thinking about going into medical field, learning auto mechanics or driving trucks or another type of delivery service.
I dont really like the idea of driving something so big, but it pays well and its not that stressful once youre comfortable. I know a lot of truck drivers with cdl like cement mixers, roll offs, freight.

Get the Tesla Semi OP

I hope you aren't that 2 pup fedex driver stuck in the snow who doesn't know to engage the differential lock and just drive right out

They hire those guys too fast

Those fuckers are so ugly

Yes they are

best job

Reminds me of this Freightliner

there are two types of fedex drivers. The in house ones and the contracted ones.

you can tell because the contracted ones are ungoverned and pass you, while you do 75+

No I work for UPS and do the regular package cars or bulk vans, w/e you want to call them.
Its intense work and it compensates well, but I am more concerned with quality of life. Theres no time for anything and when I have time I feel drained.

Feeder drivers love their job, its so much easier for them. Sleepers work 3 days straight and get 4 days off

get a programming course and become code monkey. its as easy as it gets, and if you aint a complete fucking retard you can get deecent pay. in case you actually are just roll with C##

Which programming course? How soon will I be qualified to work in that industry? Who would hire me? Be specific if you're going to give an answer like this

Suicide?

Damn
yeah straight delivery is not what you want I knew one of those guys and he was a shaky fucker with a half cocked wife

I run pneumatic hauling bulk cement in the Midwest.

>great benifits
>great pay
>home often, was nightly before ELD.
>truck is good, wellmaintained, and ungoverned

You make no sense

Okay, depending on the area, yeah you might have to move to somewhere like the Greater Toronto Area (I don't know much about Canada, sorry).

Anyway let's go:
By IT, I mean things like Network Engineer, System Admin, IT Manager and not something like: web developer or programmer (those are design and development and are way different)
firstly, 99% of the companies who ask for computer science degrees or computer engineering degrees, electronic engineeering degrees etc are not companies you want to work for if you wanna be a system administrator (or really anything that's high level in IT).

So, regardless of your ability now, the first thing I'd recommend you do is look up the CompTIA A+ exam - it gives you an idea of the bare minimum you will need to know eventually. Keep in mind, stuff like: how many ports are on X type of connection or whatnot are fucking stupid and not relevant.
Things like: what's a BIOS/UEFI, what's an IP and how does a public/private IP differ, what's a switch, what's DCHP are what you want to focus on. Honestly, A+ is kinda bare minimum but it's good to get or at least, good to know enough to pass a test if you were to take it (outside of the rote learning like number of ports, type of connecting cables, etc).

After that is usually Network+ and then, if you want, Security+. Usually the basic three in the US and I believe Canada too - in fact, in the US, Security+ is needed to work for the government usually in those jobs but thtat's really the only place I know of it - it might different in Canada so research.

Ye ive only been there 4 years which is not too long to not quit. I want something that doesnt require me to rest so much. Like I have a really terrible day if i dont get 8 hours of sleep. + I work 10-12 hours everyday, about an hour i work for free to prepare my own trip. Even if I worked faster they give you more work.

2: There are two strict (3 but fuck Apple for the time being) paths: Linux or Windows - Linux is more on the business side of things and Windows is more... everywhere. For example, a Sysadmin or level 1/2/3 tech support on Windows would be dealing anything from Joan from accounting bitching her MS Word is slow to "hey the server is fucked, fix it", depending on the level of responsibility you get and the size of the company.
With that being said: smaller company = more to do = more to learn = more experience.
Larger companies have specific roles such as a network engineer or database engineer.
Linux is really useful to learn, even just as a sort of "yes I've used linux and won't be terrified to use the terminal to troubleshoot stuff".

3. There are other certs that matter depending on what you want to do. Linux certs, CISCO certs, MS certs for a heap of their tech, etc. HR tend to like the most updated ones. A lot of this stuff can be learned either from YT or else a book from your library - 9/10 times if the tech gets refershed every 3-5 years, the last iteration or two is fine. IE: MS Server 2003 is still used in a lot of places because it costs money to get a new edition - we're on MS Server 2017 now to give you an example.

One has to be blind if one thinks this is ugly

Tl;dr

tesla semis are a joke. The specs he compared it to are a bad example of a junk truck.

Oh and the masters thing is insanely stupid - people want experience and then certs and then college degrees. Dumbass HR departments want the opposite, if you see something like "needs six years with a masters or BSc in computer whatever", feel free to smile and ignore them.
Also you should try to volunteer at some charity like place or something to beef up your experience.

Oh and for the love of all that's good in the fucking world, please, please don't fall for these courses that are aimed at getting any certs - 99% of the time they're just a brain dump and you will be seen as equal to a fucking braind dead Indian (from Inidia) that just copy and pastes answers and has no clue on what to work at.

Anyway, for some videos to get an idea of the stuff you'd learn at a basic level:
youtube.com/watch?v=SlzwMKcCoMI&list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv

Kinda long, kinda boring but he's got a good reputaiton.

Different user to the trucker but: certs + experience > degree
Certs take anywhere betwene say a week (seriously) of near enough full time study to maybe a few months for the much, much more difficult ones with partime. Hint, you won't need the harder ones untill maybe several years into your career and they cost money to take usually so your company pays for them ideally

It looks pretty gay. I mean I'd buy one for the blast proof cab that will hopefully have a sleeper model, but not for driving

Imean I assume if you're putting that glass on there the cab will be lead lined, right?

That's a very lengthy response and I am disregarding it. I am not moving to Toronto you idiot. You might as well delete this post.

Uh-huh, and how many years before I get a job out of this?

The pic before was the sleeper model, this is the other variant

You're getting warmer, incrementally

Jesus Christ, autism much? I didn't come here to read a novel

IT user here, not the same user that gave you that recommendation but here's my two cents on it:
Programming is a bit like an apprenticeship for trades - you need experience and you need to show what you can do. That's why it's highly recommended, even if you did go to college, to maintain a github (ie, portfolio almost) of things you have done to show what you can do.

Depends on how well you'll lie, honestly. I'd say maybe a month or two if you put in effort
I'd look into building a computer or even looking online at how to troubleshoot and the steps they take.
The CompTIA A+ would take maybe... two weeks of study. Takes like two hours to sit the test.
It's kinda like the basic cert you'll need + lie and say you repair computer stuff for a few years as a solo person.

Possibly - you're the third person today on Sup Forums to call me autistic

okay stop typing so much.

if its the third time, I think we know why.

Top zozzle

>I work for UPS

$30 an hour and anything over 8 is ot and your complaining? The drivers at my hub usually average around 40-55 hours a week, some get almost 70hours but thats because they want the hours. I've been busting my ass off on twilight for 4 years now and I cant wait till its my turn to become a package del driver.

Good idea but expect to be lonely.

I'm just giving the TC accurate information - they can copy and paste it into a document to read at their leisure.

I don't think I'm autitsic. I just tend to say a lot with words because it's the most direct manner of communicating - that is they can read, re-read and read again as needed. Most people when speaking only remember the first and last things so it's more annoying to do it when talking.

like you aren't already

>a lot of words
>most direct

a straight line between two points

Well next time just post a link and don't spam my thread with unrelated info kthnxbye

It is the most direct manner of communicating.
Words are words. They are easy to understand. However, vocally, accents can be a problem, as in generally speaking can be difficulty for people to say the words correctly due to mannerisms.
Also body language and tone of voice come into it.

With writing, even though I put in many words, there's very often little confusion on what's meant.

prolly a steering wheel holder

okay hippie

This thread is supposed to be about trucking! But you won't stop posting bullshit! Get out!!! And don't reply!!!

>upset

I’m from Ontario. I drive in the GTA. Tri-axle dump truck. It’s not a bad living. Lots of pro’s, GTA traffic is my only complaint. I was a licensed mechanic and gave up turning wrenches to run long-haul then gave long-haul up to be more local when I started having kids. It’s a good career.

ENRAGED

save up, buy your own truck, truckers clear 100k a year very easily. My grandpa did it for many years. Best part of being a single trucker is you can just buy a PO box and spend all your time on the road working shit tons of hours with no family to send money to or anything you can just collect that money. Save up for like 5-10 years and sell the truck and work part time as a Walmart greeter till you die.

Wow

life just flashed before my eyes

this is actually good

Don't do it unless you desperately need money.
Especially if you want long distance journeys. It's stressful and you won't have time for yourself.

>edgy

Ok then you'll make even more money. Drive the truck and save up money for 15-40 years. He did it well into his 60's.

Sounds like I should do it.

Deleted his post oh shit haha

by the time your 50 you will weigh 350 to 400 pounds from eating in truck stops and have hemorrhoids from sitting on your ass in a truck for 20+ years

I heard that truckers are most pedo. They have access to open networks at truckstops and gas stations.

same if you stay home

You aren't running around eating legumes

Bachelor, but too stupid to turn the picture the right way. Die!

gasoline and the under ground black market

no i think they would have noticed

Same if I become a computer programmer.

>not liking trucks

did i say that?

THIS
Sorry bro, but these things are ugly as fuck.

OP here, I'm gonna do it. RN i'm going over to my brother's house; he got his truck license after driving trucks for the Army plus he might possibly lend me a little money to help out. Wish me luck!

/thread.

Drive safe be prepared good luck

Do it. Truck driving pays well regardless of where you're at.
Drive for a few years and try to save as much as possible,
build contacts then start your own logistics company,
get another truck and hire driver - if all goes well, before you know it
you'll be swimming in cash and whatever else you want to swim in.
The way i see it, people buy shit and someone has to deliver it.

>not a truck driver personally but someone who deals with logistics companies a lot and there's plenty of wealth there.

that was the thread yeah good job

My brother and father took their CDL test when they were unemployed back in 2009/2010. They're making fucking 2k a week now. But the thing is, they are always on the road. No time to really enjoy the fruits of their labor. So there's that. But hey, at least they're making good money now.

I guess you could live in a tent

And most of that disappears into taxes and company fees. Plus they're ruining their bodies but at least I get my packages quickly :)

Go for the real deal and rake it in.
It's different in the UK when it comes to trucking, everyone typically works Mon-Fri and has the weekends to themselves (Known as "Tramping") If you can find the time for yourself to enjoy your money, I would say do it, I will be getting my license when I hit 21.
Don't let people put you off either, you can have all the comforts you would in a home.
I've seen trucks with better kit than my house.
Best of luck OP.