Ask a mapmaker anything

Ask a mapmaker anything

Why can't you transcribe the globe onto a flat surface properly?

Do you make the non-wet bits green or brown? What about stuff that is wet, but not just water?

Are you on the back end or in the field?

How do you add shp layers to an osm instance via cartocss?

Didn't computers gut your profession?

What is a map

OP can you please check in my disks on the spreadsheet so that I know they arrived safely

You can, thats called a projection

Why did you censor antarctica?

Depends on the map, larger scale global maps have blue, some riverine charts have other colors. It can be for aesthetics too

A representation of a land or water area drawn to scale

Thank you

What do you mean?

any tips for drawing a fantasy map?
are there any good tools for this? Other than paint and photoshop

What do you think i mean you jew why is antarctica censored on maps and what are they paying you to hide

can you find on your map where Year of the Log commences?

Why the hell did you refer to yourself as a "mapmaker"?
We're not all braindead

Different countries have different claims, you should be talking about other areas of the world which are called disputed regions. You think that’s fun for me trying to figure that shit out?

Because I didn’t want to be too specific

Are you a cartographer who believes in the satellite gps conspiracy, or do you believe in triangulation?

Do you collect the map data yourself or do you work on the back end piecing it together?

Why do even sattelite maps censor antarctica?

>satellite gps conspiracy
Tell me more.
Unless it's some flat earth shit. Fuck off with that.

What skills and abilities make a good mapmaker? Also how much do you get paid?

Satellite collection is good, point collection based on digital elevation models is good for up to a meter at best (give or take) but an actual survey is best because that will get you accuracy to within millimeters

Both

Its just imagery bro

So more jew lies?

Computer skills, some programming automation is good too, an analytic mind. About 110k

Just look into satellite launching and try to piece together what little information is available to civilians. It's clearly not, what it seems.

Are you a white badge or a red badge friend?

You can get USGS DEM models and SRTM on the internet

What the fuck are those

Also worldview is free and digital earth, but you might have to pay for it

If you are OP and telling the truth, then you would know

K idk

Get the fuck out it’s not 1882 no more we don’t need mapmakers KEK

LOL ok

Fair enough, perhaps I was assuming wrong when I was trying to figure out if we worked together

Damn, that's pretty good money. What degree(s) does one need? I'm pretty analytical and detail-oriented. I'm not a big fan of coding but I could learn enough to specialize in something, like mapmaking.

>fantasy
Bumping for this.

4 year degree probably in geodesy, geography or math

>Just look into satellite launching and try to piece together what little information is available to civilians
There's plenty, you loon.

I didn't know they had degrees for geography but I like geography. What is geodesy?

Measurement and representation of the earth, like basically the different datums used based on different systems of measurement (for example the US uses different datums and coordinate systems than Europe) and understanding all the trig and algebra that goes into that. It can also be measurement of the earths gravitational field

May I borrow your monocle?

Interesting. It sounds pretty specialized, though. I'd guess most schools don't offer a bachelor's in that subject. Anyway, I may look deeper into this so thanks for the thread nigga.

We use computers now

Its fun, sometimes challenging when I have to learn new software but I enjoy it

How do you specifically define cartography?
Please don't give me a bullshit google searched definition.

I think of it in terms of hydrography, so basically everything that a mariner would want to know on his boat

>mapmaker

Not good enough to call yourself a cartographer, you fucking ponce?

Have you ever hidden any easter eggs into non-populated areas in your maps?

Give me answer. FUCKING BUMPZOR