/prod/

Let's talk about anything related to audio production here.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/fjjec5mn
youtube.com/watch?v=ge3qXRnnuDA
youtube.com/watch?v=83aV_0tlJqw
youtube.com/watch?v=4fCyUTXvKR8
ultramsk.com/ultramsk_on_fedora_17/add_user_to_jackuser_group/
jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html
clyp.it/jrvxbuc4
clyp.it/a3glosdq
clyp.it/cxzumy5t
clyp.it/w4psggzh
clyp.it/ydnux5ly
clyp.it/0l45oqr5
clyp.it/cp1qlah4
clyp.it/xzjub02s
clyp.it/vwg1puha
youtube.com/watch?v=rYufQBdXQt8
clyp.it/sbb0xp5g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

help me lads how can i use fl studio or even ableton in linux (ubuntu)

bump, what are you guys working on?

just started making a new patch on my modular

clyp.it/fjjec5mn

Any advice on finding samples? I know of Vinyl Frontier and Ricardo Marana but so does everyone and their mom

bitwig works on ubuntu

If sampling is just a crate digging experience to you then why not just look for obscure hungarian albums from the 60's on discogs or something? Don't you want to create something for yourself? I'll never understand this mentality of sample hunters. It's not impressive that you found some catchy loop that no one knows about

Here, go nuts
youtube.com/watch?v=ge3qXRnnuDA

Go to the record store you faggot

You may want to try ardour instead.

If your heart is set on Fl or ableton, try winehq or crossover for windows emulation.

I've got something on paper. I know how to do it, I have everything to so it, so I just have to practice and do it. The only problem, I have to sing.

Any good, free drum/beat makers out there?

What's a good video tutorial for making drums?
Everything I find on YouTube is a variation of the simple "pitch-decaying sine + noise".
I'm looking for more complex and unique drums.
Anyone know of cool tutorials or techniques for that?

Any good tutorials on how to do trap drums just right?

I can make trap just fine but it ends up sounding more like EDM/Hudmo trap than real trap, and I can't quite figure out why. It's something about the drums. Maybe layered high hats?

R8?
youtube.com/watch?v=83aV_0tlJqw
Mastering is a little bit low. I don't understand why Ableton Live always lowers my audio volume at least 1/3rd of the original volume.

A tutorial won't really help you into making complex drums unless you fully understand the synthesis behind it.
You have to realize how the membrane of a drum works. Most tutorials tell you about "pitch-decaying sine + noise" because that's how they work. Imagine a real kick, for example. As soon as you play it, the sound is at maximum, so it has an instant attack. Then there's the sustain and decay, which get reduced quickly because of the properties of the membrane, so they're usually at 0. And then you want a quick release.
Pitch is what differenciates a kick from a tom, from a snare, etc. Toms usually go like "TI-UUUMM" for example, so it's high pitch in the attack which gets lower at the release.
And then there's the resonance and frequence, both will help you give some style to the drums.

Care to give an example? I'm not that much into trap so I don't really know how that "style" is made but with some reference I could try to understand what you're talking about.

This guy here btw it's lo-fi house so most of the effort towards the drums is spent in saturation, compression, reverb, although most of it if not all is synthesized by myself.

Thank you for your response, but I already know that.
I was just looking for tutorials to emulate to exercise different techniques one might use to make different sounds.
Of course there are the basic principles to make realistic drums, but I was morelooking for "weird" and unique drums that don't necessarily sound like real sounds.
There are multiple techniques, for example some might use FM for a more "metallic" hit, some might use reverb to thicken it up, some might use pitched foley samples, some might use effects like distortion, phasers, choruses, etc.
I was looking for that kind of tutorial.

That has much more to do with audio effect processing than actual synthesis, imo.
Try experimenting with compressors, saturators and specially frequency shifters. They really mold drums to new, interesting stuff.

Yeah, I experiment all the time, and some times I come up with weird new ways too, but I wanted to see how other people creatively came up with.

>clyp.it/fjjec5mn
killer sounds

Definitely try experimenting with a granulator. Melda has one that's dope. Also mess with bit crushers. These are easy ways to turn ordinary drum sounds into something epic. In my experience you yield more original sounds simply by experimenting with effects on top of different drum sounds or sampels

I'm an upcoming producer and would love some feedback on a piece I just put out. I wanted to make something where the music and visuals are essential to each other, where you cant fully understand one without the other. Here's the vid: youtube.com/watch?v=4fCyUTXvKR8

Cool, I've thought about using granulators to turn drums and other samples into weird sounds, but never about using it to make drums.
Thank you.

>tfw your years-long fight with JACK/QJACKCtl is finally over
>it only took two terminal lines to finish
>proceed to have jam of the year
ultramsk.com/ultramsk_on_fedora_17/add_user_to_jackuser_group/
jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html
linux audio, here i come

Just made this 5 seconds ago
clyp.it/jrvxbuc4

youtube.
don't listen to the purists who say vinyl.
good quality audio never made anyone a hit.

Yeah, but a hit song with a major budget production is still going to sound great regardless of the quality of the sample (for multiple reasons).
A song made by one of us will be the opposite and still sound bad with the best quality sample, so it's important to have an additional edge and have everything we can at the highest level possible, so at the end, the sum of all those parts will sound decent.
A shitty song with a good quality sample will be significantly better than the same song with the same sample, but compressed to 128kbps.

No. Here's my tips from what I've come to know so far
>Don't sidechain 808 to the kick
>Use the most basic kits that everyone uses with the sounds everyone uses
>Simpler chord progressions the better
>Use default nexus and other vst sounds
>use gross beat
>Rack Kick1, Bwheezy kit drums, luger kit slap clap and luger kit snare are a good start
>zaytoven kit is also useful

Don't feel too disheartened, I can do a lot of genres decently and TRAP as the 808 mafia guys do it has eluded me for a long time. There is a guy on reddit who talks about their mastering which cleared up a lot for me besides what I already knew. I was doing everything I could to sound like them (just to try) and I couldn't get it and he helped. Lex Luger didn't even really mix his shit in his FLPs. Metro Boomin and Southside, and Tm88 make their shit clip. They barely mix it. I'll try and find the guy I'm talking about though

Why not forego trap and do your own style

There's always merit in emulating other styles to learn what works and what doesn't.

To add, I think 99 percent of "Type beat" producers don't even get it, and they're pretty good producers at the high levels. They make their mixes extremely clean and they kind of forget the roughness and grit that actual trap producers have. Plus they seem to not really listen to the sounds of the artist to make beats (perfect example is a lil uzi type beat, almost no one gets it right)

clyp.it/a3glosdq
made a lead in serum, trying to do some kinda hardcore/speedcore stuff

Is there?

Yeah there is.

And on a practical level being able to do trendy hip-hop beats means being able to collaborate with people easier.

workflow is...something. I use a combination of programs: I use lmms for the musical typing feature and connecting vst to midis so I can save the midis as waves which I import to audacity. I use musescore to make the midis, but usually just one part midi, the other parts are usually from hydrogen drums for the percussion obviously, and sometimes I do this thing where I convert just random noise (that I autotune) to a midi from an online program and load it into musescore at a certain tempo, but you need the older musescore for that to work well because it scans the midi and offers to quantize it and then I adjust it, I'm just feeling blah though because I made this one drum beat and tried to give it out but everyone thought it was bait for subs so I was like "I'll just use it then" so I put a bass to it from lmms and I wanna freestyle with my cheap casio over it (because I finally got another usb to mic jack thing so I can record that) but I'm tired....

Is there a way to play media files through the piano role in Reaper?

I want to play the sample like an instrument.

*roll

I think it's whatever others think sounds good. generic can be bad if it's not individualistic. just let others listen and get feedback. you can tell what's missing even if they don't know production.

clyp.it/cxzumy5t

Thoughts on this? Friend did percussion, I did synths and arranged it. Sample used from Smile Guide videos. It's a WIP.

by the way, does someone know how to change fonts in Reaper? all I could find is a customization menu, which allows to change only a couple of secondary fonts
the default ones are way too unreadable for me

i'm not familiar with reaper, but you need to use a sampler to... well play a sample like an instrument.

piano rolls are just for inputting midi data.

if reaper doesn't include a sample check out kontakt as a vst.

>doesn't include a sampler*

I recently got a microbrute. What's the best way to use it with ableton?

>record the audio out into an audio track as i play
>capture the midi on a midi track, and record audio into an audio track
>just use an external synth rack

second. don't discard the midi data.

can someone help me out? im trying to find a way to run lights from ableton without emptying my bank account on DXM shit. i literally just want drums to trigger lights i.e. kick triggers one light snare triggers another. is there a way to do this?

also heres shit i started working on last night
>hopefully its bad enough i actually get replies for my problem
clyp.it/w4psggzh

Whats the production discord boyos?

Any advice on how to remove buzzing like this? I can't rerecord anything and am just going at it with the eq.

clyp.it/ydnux5ly

izotope's RX might help. eq would likely end up being too destructive.

I managed a good enough job that I'm moving on

fair enough

What's a good cheap USB sound card that I can use with an active xlr mic?
Bonus points if it has 5mm input, but it's absolutely not essential.

focusrite scarletts or steinberg's UR series.

It's a long shot, but has anyone ever used this thing to it's potential? Reading the manual only gives a brief outline, but not much specific.

Hey guys, first time posting something on this kind of threads, I want to know what do you think about this song I started today, I like it but I don't know if it sound very well, I have lo fi headphones so yeah the low end is shit... The song is like a lo fi synthy 80's thing.
clyp.it/0l45oqr5

clyp.it/cp1qlah4

Will be coming back later and giving out feedback. Down to listen to what ever you guys have

Would you recommend one over the other?
Which one do you have experience with?

clyp.it/xzjub02s

hey guys what do you think of this thing I'm doing

i have the ur22 and enjoy it i cant say anything about focusrite because ive never used one

yes, stopped using it about a year ago when I found dmg's limitless which is lighter on the cpu, better sounding and doesn't have the shittiest bloat malware plugin alliance shit around it slowing everything down

When you change the sounds like that sounds weird but I like the idea, sounds like that 2009 vaporwave kind of thing. What do you think of this:

thanks, the clyp is cool, reminds me of Omar S stuff

>clyp.it/cp1qlah4

New Link clyp.it/vwg1puha

Thank you! I don't know Omar S I'll check him out, bro.

>dmg's limitless

Oh wow, thanks for the info. I was recommended the DSM but just can't find a sweet spot for anything after 4 days of demoing. Limitless is already doing wonders.

Why does it looks like it's from os9

first or second. you may or may not care about midi.

also, fyi, the microbrute shines best when you use the orange patch cables with the mod matrix. you can get some crazy sounds out of it

What are some good drum synth and sequencer plugins like Microtonic?

>"Paul Frindle has 40 years' experience in the pro audio and music industries. He has worked as a studio engineer in Oxford and Paris, and was a design engineer at SSL with responsibilities for E and G-series analogue consoles, emerging assignable consoles and nascent digital audio products. As one of the original team that became Sony Oxford, he is responsible for many revolutionary aspects of the Sony OXF-R3 mixing console. More recently he was responsible for product design and quality assurance at Oxford Plugins. On leaving Sony Oxford, he co-founded Pro Audio DSP in order to make novel sound-processing applications to fulfill many issues he had identified in the audio production chain over his career."

It even looks like an Oxford plugin. Apparently the DSM is his own project, the first of the tools he wants(wanted) to create.

>On leaving Sony Oxford, he co-founded Pro Audio DSP in order to make novel sound-processing applications to fulfill many issues he had identified in the audio production chain over his career.

This is the only plugin from Pro-Audio DSP...

youtube.com/watch?v=rYufQBdXQt8
fug the dynamix actually looks really cool

I made a downtempo section of a breakcore thing I'm working on

clyp.it/sbb0xp5g