Ok Sup Forums I asked this on Sup Forums but the fagmins pulled it before I got any good answers soo I'll ask you...

Ok Sup Forums I asked this on Sup Forums but the fagmins pulled it before I got any good answers soo I'll ask you. I want to learn a second language. I am leaning heavily towards Japanese, and have already started to learn their alphabet. But I wanted to quickly ask before I become too involved. What are your recommendations Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

making.duolingo.com/which-countries-study-which-languages-and-what-can-we-learn-from-it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tl;dr

You sound gay

ruski

Javascript. You will even be able to put it to some use

Keep in mind that the best language to learn should have some practical use in real life too. Maybe you want to move to a country that speaks the language someday.

Pull down your pants boy. I suck a mean dick.

Japanese is way too hard and I don't think it's worth spending that time on the language unless you are planning on moving there or you're really passionate about the japanese culture. I would recommend Spanish.

Fucking weeb detected

Esperanto ftw, weeb.

If only Spanish didn't sound so fucking annoying

learn portuguese. it is a difficult language. and if you are fluent then you can understand a little bit of spanish and they can understand you. if I speak portuguese to a spanish speaker they understand me but they think I am drunk.

Mandarin, Russian, German, or Spanish.
Think of it as a business investment.

>Japanese
Either a weeb or an idiot

Well there are hundreds of Spanish accents but I suppose that you're used to hearing Mexicans so I have to agree that it is kinda annoying.

Bill, no one wants to speak Esperanto.

Depends on which languages are common in your country and which languages are common in your career.
If you're an Ausfag, statistically you should learn Mandarin or Arabic.

Second, learn the JavaScript mean stack

Mi volas

Now seriously, Esperanto is a pretty good one to start with. It comes handy when learning other languages because of its characteristics and its simplicity

But you'll never, ever use it for anything. Which means it's a complete waste of time.

It doesn't work that way tho

Except if your in a tv/movie and the screenwriter decides to be "clever".

Then how does it work and what situations do you use it?

German is easy to learn cause of its many similarities to English.

In order: English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
I don't even like France, Spain.. etc idk why even started learning languages

instead of wanting to learn a language for your shitty anime, learn a language that will actually prove useful for you in the future, look up the countries with the best living and salary and choose one based on that so you actually have something to do with your language.

Here in Portugal you learn Spanish, French, English and German if you choose to.
Never had an idea why they always made us learn all of that.
Do Americans really only learn 1?

Learning a language is never useless to begin with, because it is good exercise for the mind and it helps with all that shit

Second, learning Esperanto before any other language makes learning the following language(s) easier. You'll learn more French if you study 1 year of Esperanto and then 3 of French than if you study 4 years of French.

And well, there will also be people who speak Esperanto and do not share any other language with you (I admit that that would be pretty rare, but it's still possible)

To finish, there's also Pasporta Servo which is a free accomodation service in which you can crash at a lot of people's houses with the only requirement of speaking Esperanto with them,

Esperanto is hella easy to learn. In like 5 months you can be completely fluid at it, and without really making that big of an effort

If anything you should learn Mandarin instead of J*Panese

>Do Americans really only learn 1?
Schools try to force one on you in high school for credits but you dont have to.

Why would i need to learn another language? Everything i need is in my Country, i dont have to drive 3 hours to another country and have to begrudge my self in their language.

I guess moving to another state really is travel since your country is so big.
But any other language, independent of what language it is (unless its something stupid like Afrikaans) will prove to be useful in communicating since not all the world can speak English

Interesting you never reacted to me calling you Bill though.

The guy you called Bill wasn't me lol

Every country in the world teaches English in their schools.
Every country wants its denzines to interact with Americans.
Not the same the other way though
If your country has something i want, i pay someone to interact with you to get my goods.

I would not put French before Spanish

But not everyone in the world cares enough to memorize the English or even know it properly.

I agree, JS has served me well.

Last year I built a JS application that sold for $2 million (and will likely get more sales). I only get my shitty salary though.

Good luck with writing it

>Why would i need to learn another language? Everything i need is in my Country
"I only need potatoes to survive"

English is the most taught language in the world
making.duolingo.com/which-countries-study-which-languages-and-what-can-we-learn-from-it

I've got corn, potatoes, wheat, soybeans. Thats the basic building blocks right there. The rest are grown in the USA.Why would i need anything else?

Portuguese is pretty cool, it’s got some secret jobs that you’d never think that’d actually be a thing

Spanish. A strong competitor to English given the numbers. An exercise now, a base to learn other languages with some focus when you will need them. Its roots (ancient and recent) make it akin to English, but it differs enough (it differs plentifully) to give you the idea of the range of variation.

Japanese: are you sure that the trends favour that language in the future?

Spanish has a few cards in its sleeve that may (may) make it boost in the future.

Other languages should be met only later - the investment is big if the language is too different, completely new. See how difficult it is for the Chinese to speak a good English - the opposite is probably valid. Japanese has nothing to do with your native language.

>I've got corn, potatoes, wheat, soybeans. Thats the basic building blocks right there. The rest are grown in the USA.Why would i need anything else?
No, I mean: "I am content with what is nearby, I do without cake with is foreign, pudding which is foreign, tuna which is foreign etc."
The "food" thing is just to give the idea.

And yet we have industry that catches all of that off our coasts.

>cake
>pudding
All of that is created in the hearthland
Milk
Wheat
>tuna
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_industry_in_the_United_States

Why wouldn't you learn a different language? Why not?

I have no reason to learn another language
>Why not
Its not needed in my work place,I have better things to spend my time on and everywhere i go in the USA people can talk to me, via English

No, really, the matter is not with food.
"Why should I visit other websites? On Sup Forums I have everything I need."

If you want to be a polyglot, start with latin.
If you are moving somewhere, learn the native tongue.
If you are in business, learn mandarin.
If you are in tech or a weeb, learn japanese.
If you are in physics, learn french.
If you are in humanities and social sciences, learn spanish.
If you just want to learn something for fun with no use, go for esperanto or klingon.
If you want to work in intelligence, learn russian.

Tight af.

Basically this. Since I live in the US, spanish is probably the best language for me to learn. But for Britain, probably Arabic since that's what most of you will be speaking in a few years.

You’re a moron

>klingon
As a matter of fact, the left grey area of "other" is huge...

well it depends on your reasons for learning a language.

if you just want to learn a language just so you can say you speak multiple languages learn dutch
if you want to learn a language to speak to lots of people learn spanish
if you want to be a fag and get "culturally enriched" idk probably german
if you want to talk to lolis learn russian
if you want study somewhere abroad, don't just study in an english speaking country
if you want to learn a language because your a weeb, stop being a weeb and don't learn a language

>If you want to be a polyglot, start with latin
I am afraid that latin per se has (comparatively) little use. I would focus on the vocabulary, not on the grammar.

And the problem is that most of the languages of that chart are not related to latin (or only marginally, as "imported terms").

>if you just want to learn a language just so you can say you speak multiple languages learn dutch

Ok, why dutch?

>if you want to be a fag and get "culturally enriched" idk probably german

French. It has become very, very, very underrated.

Not true, the grammar works tremendously similarly to other romance languages and even some germanic languagesm

>Ok, why dutch?
its very similar to english making it relatively easy to learn
>French. It has become very, very, very underrated.
yeah, French is a good choice too. i chose germany because many areas with different cultures speak german

Yes, it is similar, but not identical so you just learn a set of rules that are precisely applied only in the specific language.
To get the same idea, I would (personally) go for German, just because it is still a spoken official language.

Spanish sounds elegant and nice. It's only annoying when the fat Mexican kid with a spongebob shirt and monster snapback uses it

German might be a good way to go but Latin is more comprehensive and follows all of its own rules almost all of the time. That's why its good to start with. Take a year or two, don't shoot for fluency, then change to French or German. Also embrace the Roman Empire and the glory it once was

as an native german i will have to doub this...learn spanish and you have more places than just middle europe

Also heyo trips confirms the return of the Roman Empire long live the Emperor

Not just because "Deutsche sprache, schwere sprache"

One of the assets of Spanish is: it's simple, if compared to most in the set.

This kid is very very real i know exactly who you are talking about what is it with them

If OP is a kid, OK he could learn a bit of Latin - if he has plenty of time and interest in languages beyond the practical.
If he is an adult, then, Spanish before any Latin. Simplicity.

I learned Spanish and Japanese and even lived in Japan briefly (I've also traveled Europe and visited Central America)

I can with certainty say that I would not recommend learning Japanese. Not because "weeaboo faggot" or any other bullshit reasons, but because of the following:

>1. Japan, as a culture, is openly hostile to outsiders. They are the single most homogeneous country on Earth. 99.9% of the people living in Japan are native-born Japanese with Japanese great-grandparents. Even if you learn their language and move there, you'll never be allowed to own a business and you'll have trouble finding a wife. So the language is useless if you're looking to move to another nation to change your life

>2. Japan, as a nation, has the highest national debt to GDP of any country on Earth. Their government is on the brink of collapse. If you think learning Japanese will be helpful in business or in a career, think again. Most Japanese companies are going to fail in a big way.

>3. Most anime, manga, and games are translated the day they're published nowadays and many studios are actually in America (Funimation is in Texas)

As far as utility goes, Japanese isn't very useful as a language. You'll rarely have an opportunity to use it and it won't impact your life in a meaningful way.

Spanish is one of the most useful languages. It's spoken in more countries than any other language.

If despite my advice you still wish to pursue Japanese, here's some helpful words to keep you going when the nay-sayers tell you it's "too hard" of a language.

Japanese is very DIFFERENT from English. English is a mix of romantic and germanic languages. Unlike learning a romance language (a language which traces its roots to Latin, or the language of Rome, hence "romance") or a germanic language (I don't know the etymology of this one) -- learning an Asian language like Chinese or Japanese means you're starting at square one. You can't use your former knowledge of grammar, the alphabet, or even what qualifies as a noun or an adjective (we think of "rain" as a noun and all of the modifiers for rain like "heavy rain" or "light rain" as adjectives -- but in Japan they have different nouns for different types of rain)

It being different will at first make it feel hard, because you're not JUST learning the language. You're learning EVERYTHING. But once you've gotten started, it gets easier. After around 6 months I had learned the two alphabets and the language was a lot easier. Once you get into it, Japanese is a lot more logical. Fewer irregulars, fewer rules to memorize, etc.

And you never had the need to read Kanji?

I read many years ago that in some channels they would not use Kanji but only the Hiragana+Katakana transliterations. But in some places, in the critical places, often, almost everywhere?

Do it. If you want to become even more of a fucking weaboo

Studied Japanese for 5 years, AMA

Learn body language

There are 2000 kanji that are considered "core" in Japan that you are expected to learn by the time you graduate high school. These 2000 are used in books, magazines, newspapers, TV, and street signs. Although depending on the age-level of the target audience, they will replace some of the kanji with hiragana if you aren't expected to have learned them yet (for instance, a TV show for 7 year olds will only show 200-300 kanji, since they're only expected to know that many)

I learned somewhere around 500 kanji, so I was able to navigate the streets, read menus at restaurants, and mostly do well on my own -- although from time to time I'd encounter a word I didn't know and I'd have to either ask someone to read it for me or struggle to find it in a kanji dictionary (which is a bitch to search through, by the way)

I think it was worst when reading the newspaper. Restaurants and TV usually assume their audience will include teenagers who haven't learned all of their kanji, but newspapers are purely for businessmen so I'd encounter a lot of kanji I didn't know.