Guitar Improvement General

How do I reach the highest levels of guitar playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/gpq4seri
youtu.be/Rz3JhKXJDTM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You start by shitposting about Melonman for 2 days straight.

I have never heard of that. I come from Sup Forums

bump

Buy a Yamaha

I own a Taylor 110e and a Yamaha FG800. I keeo the Yamaha at my job so I can practice on lunch

Here is a clip of me playing. Please listen and critique

clyp.it/gpq4seri

Practice

Well, get on it then

buy as many efects as you can any link them all together in any order and turn all the dials all the way up

I practice like 2-3 hours each day. What should I be practicing?

>What should I be practicing?

Guitar lad

Not OP but how much practice would you say is enough to reach a high level of playing? I'm currently practicing four hours per day, two hours on a classical guitar and two hours on an electric one.

I only play acoustic. Electric is for hipsters

You are probably better than most people you know. I play 2 -3 hours minimum and i can whip all of my friends asses except for one, but I know I am still not as good as I could be or would like to be.

Acoustics are for beatniks, I bet you play bongos and wear a berret aswell

That's a hipster mindset. You should be playing acoustic because you like acoustic, not to stand out from electric players

practice..,.........................................................................................................

practice classical music and how to play piano concertos on guitar, jazz, funk, blues, many different styles before assuming you are a master.

you must master all forms of the craft before you can truly reach the highest levels.

also study guitar theory, you don't wanna sound retarded when you're talking about scales and shit.

no, I am from Sup Forums and I work in an office, so I look like Bill Lumburgh without the faggy haircut

true. honestly I own a really nice les paul, but I dont play it because I like the feel of acoustic much better.

I have a degree in composition from a conservatory, so I have a firm grasp on music theory and can play some guitar, but i stopped playing the guitar for a long time. now I am back on it and want to get good.

so study your scales, styles of play, different phrases, flesh out musical ideas into your own phrases, you know... PRACTICE!

ok, will do, thanks

I would recommend learning complex strumming patterns and practicing scales and picking technique if you already know everything about scales and shit like that it's only a matter of time until you get all of that transposed to guitar

I practice 6 a day its all I do besides shit post

I'd do that if I had the time but I work a full time job so this is not possible for me.
Four hours plus a few minutes before going to sleep (heard that this helps to memorize pieces, no idea if that's true or not but a few more minutes of practice can't hart) is the most I can play if I still want to get some sleep.

*can't hurt

what do you want to be good at? even the best guitar players are all good in different ways.

for instance, technique or improvisation? I'm bored of learning techniques, and all I do anymore is practice improvising to recordings of songs.

my technique is ok, but could use some improving. my improv pretty much sucks

Pretty good and the guitar sounds great, is that the Taylor?

yeah me too. here's my system so far: you know the two barre chord shapes, the "F" and the "A" shapes? The F is a barre chord with the root note on the lowest string, think the commonly-played "F" chord, and the "A" shape is the barre chord with the root on the second lowest string, like the common A chord (although that has the "barre" on the 0th fret) or the common B chord.

With those two shapes you can play most chord progression easily, just find your root on either the lowest or second lowest string and you can find your 4, and 5 chords very close to it. So for improvisation I find the chords and use the scale patterns that fit over those chords. That means for the scales I chose to learn (minor pentatonic / blues, major pentatonic, mixolydian) I know two shapes for each of them: the shape that goes over the "F" shaped chord and the shape that goes over the "A" shaped chord. Then I try to improvise to random songs using that, while following the chord changes. The basic method you want is to hit a chord tone on the downbeat (a 1, 3, 5, and a 7th although that can be more complicated) and you can play any note you want on the upbeat, although you should usually stay in the scale that fits over your chord.

Doing this has worked for me, I think it's pretty simple but there's a lot of possibility. You learn to gauge the "sound" of a song to figure out what scales to use where. It's not as simple as you'd think since most rock songs and jazz are kind of a mix of major and minor tonality. That's why the minor and major blues scales are both used over the same chords depending on the context.

Watch Michael angelo batio videos 5 hours a day no practice
youtu.be/Rz3JhKXJDTM

inversions desu

Depends on how good you want to be, if you want like a "I'm very good for a hobby" then practice and find guides on the internet.
But keeping in mind you have a degree in composition - I wouldn't listen to anyone here.
Go find a GOOOOOD guitar teacher, the guys that are in their way building a career for themselves and studied with professionals. Because they can hear and understand things you don't no matter how much time you practice and how often do you speak with professionals online.

good ear bro. yeah its the taylor. it was made in 2006 before they started building 110s in mexico.

i would like to be "extremely good for a hobby" at the very least. in my group of bros I am the 2nd best and the best has a phd in composition

shit, here I am with my 1 hour a day feeling cocky.

Do y'all only have one hobby?

>highest level of playing
Always always practice with a metronome at least 50% of the time

same goes to but your playing is very clean and i enjoyed it

depends, what kind of music are you trying to play?
Learning scales and chord structures is a good start, also circle of fifths
You'll start hearing which chords sound good together and then you play pretty much anything

Also learning songs you like that challenge you is a good way to improve

big bends desu

>i would like to be "extremely good for a hobby" at the very least
you need a social life that revolves around this to a large extent
are you in a group right now?