/AOTY/

AOTY thread. Post favorites, rate taste, argue, insult, recommend, share life stories, etc.

Poo poo pee pee

>another RYM drone
kys

>good album drone
+trumpeting ecstasy, forever(I liked King better tho), remo

I really liked pharmakon's last album but his one just felt a little inconsistent and unfocused

I'm really excited for ascending a mountain of heavy light in november. One day you will ache like I ache is easily one of my all time fave albums.
In a way I felt like the lack of focus on contact added to the desperate tone of the record but maybe I'm just giving it more credit than it deserves

For me, AOTY is Pyrrhon's What Passes For Survival because its approach to riffing is very different from the multitudes of tech death bands that also exist today due to 1. Their instrumentation being only one electric guitar with a bass instead of two which has them take a more creative approach towards creating a whole riff combining two different parts 2. They are able to get past the problem of lack of variety in the dynamics of the metal genre by using their creative yet intense approach to riffing to ensure there's still a visceral attack 3. The wide variety in track lengths which exist because of the band's ability to deliver riffs in various tempos and 4. They removed the weaker/more watered down/straightforward sections from their previous album, going in a direction similar to Captain Beefheart's first few albums where it only gets more esoteric on the next one. That being said, it has also lead for this album to feel very structurally complex or even random to first timers, but that's only because there's a lot going on for them to pick up. Not only this, but the vocalist also has further diversified his vocals to where he has his low guttural growls, mid ranged screams, high pitch frys, and the occasional layered effects scream all of which accommodate what the guitar and bass are doing at the given moment. Their new drummer whose first release is this album is the perfect fit as well, as he offers a jazz/math rock inspired take on death metal drumming. There's also a couple few neat tricks like free improvisations used to build tension and the occasional electronic effect (loops, background noise, the already mentioned vocals) to spice things up without being gimmicky.

Gorguts first really set a bar for highly technical and esoteric metal music with their album Obscura in 1998. That bar was raised by Deathspell Omega's Fas in 2007. I believe that this record is the one that has finally raised that bar since 2007, and probs'll get love years later

there's no way that won't be dope. I also really liked One Day You'll Ache. The vocals are so piercing and wretched. The album's that perfect kind of revolting that just punches you in the stomach but also has you banging your head, love it. I can see where you're coming from, just didn't work for me
still need to give that a listen, thanks for reminding me. Obscura is one of my all time fav metal albums so I'm sure I'll like it.

It's a fuck ton more chaotic than Obscura though, this requires multiple listens to really grasp it all.

DAMN. aoty

+milo, jonwayne, FJM

I just can't get into Big Fish Theory even though I loved Summertime, Is Black Ken seriously that good?
interesting, ya I'll check it out. Some of the sounds they get with their guitars on Obscura... I've never heard anything like it

this is so bland holy fug

post yours big baller

what are these two albums?

Don't know Eureka but bottom right is Eric Copeland- Goofballs

Can anyone rec me the best sad aoty

eureka the butcher and eric copeland yea

Bump

new wolf alice is really good too

I like your choices :)

this shit on page 11

You're the first other person I've seen put Priests in their AOTY chart! Good call. Saw them live and they're amazing, they remind me of Savages but with much more variation in their sound

Anyway these are the ones that I think have a shot at being my AOTY. There are a bunch that are still growing on me (Jay Som, Laurel Halo, LCD) and there are still a few that are probably gonna crack this chart before the end of the year (Bjork, Smut)
I also need to check out the Twin Peaks soundtrack since I fucking loved the new season and apparently it holds up on its own pretty well

2017 was a great year

Fuck the new Brand New album though that was my most anticipated AOTY coming into the year and it's like half amazing and half disappointment

no discussion

meh (minus peasant)
succumb is cool
Nice, Goofballs is one of my favorites this year. Glad to see it on someone else's chart.
good picks, I need to give a bunch of these a listen still
eh, a few good ones here
still need to listen to async

bump