Does Sup Forums likes Priest?

Does Sup Forums likes Priest?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0KaZ1VSdnYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No

Why not?

They've got some bangers

I like them up to the album you posted (sans Turbo).

I even like this one: lots of great tunes, and the Owens wasn't so bad desu

Quick reminder to everyone that British steel is overrated.

>Motherfucker beat me to it.

They better. Painkiller is a perfect song.

Sin After Sin - Let Us Pray

Painkiller is pleb-tier.

Sin After Sin is patrician. im partial to starbreaker and sinner

It's still good though. It's one of the best comeback albums in metal history.

I had a discussion with my friend regarding Judas Priest along time ago.
I really like them, but they also have some boring releases.
For some reason my friend was comparing Judas Priest to Iron Maiden, saying that Priest is better by far (regardless if it's true or not, he was obviously being a try-hard contrarian).
I said to him something that still stays with me, and proves itself as true.
As

Yes. Unleashed In The East is the best thing they ever released. I think Painkiller is hot garbage.

>Studio albums
1. Stained Class
2. Hell Bent For Leather
3. Sad Wings of Destiny
4. Sin After Sin
5. Defenders of the Faith

As a whole, Judas Priest's discography is not that spectacular, but their best albums, most prominently Painkiller, are amongst the best metal albums ever released.
Maiden had written better albums than British Steel or Screaming for Vengeance, but no metal band has ever made an album better than Painkiller.

>Judas Priest's discography is not that spectacular

u wot. have you heard the 70s albums?

The biggest difference is that Maiden has a better track record. Every album they have until Seventh Son is generally well received. With Priest you have landmark albums like British Steel and Painkiller, And a couple of their pre Steel albums are well liked by seasoned metalheads, but there is less consistency.

>comparing the two biggest NWOBH acts

yeah, no idea why anyone would do that

>not putting Unleashed... under studio albums

c'mon bro, you're right about it being the best, but it's too perfect to be live. It was a scam to rerecord and get rights and royalties back for early materials from their previous label

And why the fuck isn't Sad Wings higher?

I didnt say it was a live album, but it's certainly not a studio album. It's more of a re-recorded compilation.

Thats like 4 (5?) great albums followed to this day by shit.

Sure JP's discography is spotty but they also have at least 5 god tier albums and (eexcepting Point Of Entry for the sake of argument) and two multi album runs of overall quality

Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin,
and Stained Class are all fantastic, 9.25/10, 8.5/10 and 9/10 respectively.
But, the 80s and 90s had some meh albums. Also, the new halford stuff is great, but not too amazing for my taste.

Apples and oranges my dude.

I agree. I think that all Bruce records from Beast to Somewhere in Time are consistently great. But, I think that no single maiden album is better than Defenders, Painkillers, Stained Class, or Sad Wings.

Judas Priest

Meltdown [1970s]

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

They were better live in the 80s but their 70s albums were more interesting and varied musically.

If Iron Maiden and Judas Priest don't have enough in common to bear comparison, what does?

Jesus fuck, next to the Blur / Oasis feud, it's hard to find to more evenly matched and comparable bands.

It ain't apples and oranges, it's Granny Smith to Red Delicious

Uggh, the lyrics (which apparently were all written by Glenn Tipton) were so fucking bad. How the fuck did an almost 50 year old man write a song called Dead Meat or Burn in Hell?

of course

>Saying that Maiden even close to as good as Priest when Maiden hasn't released a listenable album since Seventh Son

Eh, you gotta give mealfags what they paid for.

Too over-the-top for my tastes, they're in no way bad though.

Too bad their early albums had such awful mixing--they sound like they were recorded on a portable cassette player.

7 great albums. That's why the last one in the chain is called Seventh Son. As for the rest, they had a rough time in the 90's but Brave New World is well received and I believe The Final Frontier was liked as well.
Defenders didn't stick with me at all. I liked Vengeance and British Steel a lot more. I've never listened to Priest's 70's albums.

That's what happens when you don't have a lot of money to afford the best recording resources in the 70's.

>I've never listened to Priest's 70's albums

They sound more like you'd imagine typical 70s rock to be--more bluesy guitars, extended length prog-style songs, melodic bass lines.

Maiden weren't as good at composing songs, definitely. TNOTB just has the two singles and nothing else.

>im partial to starbreaker and sinner
Those songs are such terrible pieces of late 70s cheese, but that's why they're fun.

WE DON'T NEED NO PARENTAL GUIDANCE, NO
WE DON'T NEED NO, NO, NO PARENTAL GUIDANCE NO

>yfw this was a bunch of late 30s guys doing this song

priest! priest! priest! priest!

it's called context, you dipshit.

Priest were literally put on trial and denounced before Congress by 'parental guidance' groups.

This isn't a 30 year old man whining about being grounded - and you know what? Even if it was, kudos to him for still being able to connect with his audience

This was from the 86 tour. One of their best tours, but unfortunately Turbo was ass.

I never really did like Painkiller for some reason.

YOU GIVE ME PAIN
BUT YOU GIVE ME PLEASURE
DON'T KNOW WHAT I LIKE

Poor KK Downing became totally irrelevant after the first two albums aside from his epic 20 minute live versions of Sinner.

> totally irrelevant

Really? You can tell me with a straight face that if he wasn't playing there'd be no difference in their songs? The dual leads is a big part of what made Priest great.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just engaging in stupid levels of hyperbole, because otherwise you're trolling and or legitimately retarded

Maybe not totally but Glenn Tipton does play on three quarters of their songs post-SWOD including all the more commercial tracks.

Jugulator fucking sucks

>reaches in and rips your spine out

I mean, it's not as if Judas Priest were a hot commodity anymore by the 90s that anyone paid any attention to the Ripper albums, although some of the guitar work (like on Cathedral Spires) is ace.

Somebody show this fucking kid out, please.

Painkiller>Screaming>Defenders>the 4 late 70s studio albums>British Steel>Jugulator>the rest of the Halford albums>Demolition

shout out to whoever said Unleashed is their best overall, most of those versions are better than the originals

They got dropped by Columbia. Those albums were released by budget label CMC Records which was a dumping ground for hair metal/dadrock bands.

Really enjoying Screaming for Vengeance atm

>tfw Twin Turbos didn't happen

it would've been amazing too

It's god-tier for sure. Possibly their single best album and definitely better than any Maiden albums.

I get the impression that Glenn was mostly responsible for the cheesy metal cliche songs. Rob Halford could write some good lyrics--the two Fight albums show a lot of maturity and quality songwriting compared to the horrible cheese on Jugulator/Demolition.

Turbo/RID were very much like Load/Reload in that the two albums were recorded at the same time but the material released separately and the latter album containing the less commercial stuff. RID didn't impress me much though, it feels lazy and the production is not very good (for example, Halford's vocals are buried way back in the mix).

Did anyone really need metal Chuck Berry covers anyway?

According to Rob Halford, "[Columbia] were always asking us to do covers. We recorded a lot of them; most we ended up not using because we didn't like how the song came out or we felt it didn't 'fit' us. Some of them like 'The Green Manalishi' or the cover of that old Spooky Tooth song 'Better By You, Better Than Me' came out really well."

He apparently wasn't nuts about that cover of Johnny B. Goode.

It was a fad for a while for metal bands to do covers of a non-metal song, often some pop hit from the 60s. Christgau alludes to this in one of his Aerosmith reviews.

>It was a fad for a while for metal bands to do covers of a non-metal song, often some pop hit from the 60s
Either because it was edgy/funny or because the band members grew up in the 60s era and that stuff gave them a nostalgia boner.

By the late 80s definitely the old guard from the NWOBM era were running out of gas and being replaced by thrash metal.

The title track, Hard as Iron, and Blood Red Skies are amazing though.

Painkiller was almost a desperation move in a way because their washed-up 40 year old asses looked outmoded compared with Megadeth et al.

Van Halen started it with their excellent cover of You Really Got Me. Suddenly everyone wanted to do heavy covers of old rock songs from the pre Zeppelin era.

I'm a diehard Priest fan and I didn't even know Better By You, Better Than Me was a cover. Really makes you think, how could they get sued over it? They didn't even write it!

KISS also covered the Rolling Stones' 2000 Man.

True but Priest covered Diamonds & Rust on SAS even before Van Halen came out (although Diamonds & Rust wasn't from the 60s and in fact was only a two year old song when they covered it).

Oh, and Megadeth getting sued for These Boots.

Don't forget Green Manalishi

Metal evolved from Heavy Blues, which obviously came from the Blues where cover songs are standard. Covering songs in metal wasn't an 80's fad that passed, it was a vestige of metal's origins

The cover of The Green Manalishi was on Hell Bent For Leather which came out almost a year after Van Halen's debut album. Also it was tacked onto the US release and not on the original UK one.

However, Better By You, Better Than Me was on Stained Class, which was recorded and released near-simultaneously with the first Van Halen album and the cover of D&R predated it by almost a year, so neither of those covers could have been influenced by Van Halen covering You Really Got Me.

Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, and Stained Class are all top tier albums

Also Aerosmith had two 60s pop covers on Night in the Ruts, but in that case it was more likely because they were fucked up from drugs and couldn't come up with new material (although they'd been playing the Yardbirds' "Think About It" live for years).

The studio version of Diamonds and Rust is really weak, also the roller disco sound hasn't aged too well. They had a lot of much better live versions.

>It was a scam to rerecord and get rights and royalties back for early materials from their previous label
Yeah they lost the publishing rights to the first two albums after switching to Columbia. Gull Records reissued them regularly for years afterwards to capitalize on Priest's popularity and the band never got paid a penny for them.

Hi Razorfist

Ram It Down also used a drum machine; Dave Holland had left the band but they didn't yet have a new drummer to replace him.

albums 2,3,4 are some of the best albums in music history

after that there are some great songs, like painkiller, hellrider, ram it down (the solos especially)

but they just became too non progressive and boring

Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train have some killer guitars, other than that Tipton and Downing phoned in those albums.

Rob Halford is daddy af

Oh, and Glenn Tipton also came out with a solo album in the late 90s and...he's not much of a singer. Let's just leave it at that.

There was one live version of Genocide I heard that absolutely stuffs the album version.

Yeahyeah I know all critics back then were all like mmmuh punk rawk.

Great band, they're who got me into metal. I just thought the name sounded cool and checked them out.

It's a pretty good album. Groove metal before it became a meme genre. But following Halford and Painkiller of all things, with a new style AND vocalist was very difficult. Demolition wasn't very good though.

They have a decent amount of filler and mediocre tracks, but I still consider them better than Iron Maiden. Priest's music is so varied and they weren't afraid to change their style from album to album, whereas it feels to me like Maiden have been releasing the same album for the last 30 years.

>But following Halford and Painkiller of all things, with a new style AND vocalist was very difficult
And you know, the fact that they didn't have major label promotion behind them by that point.

Ripper Owens was a good singer but very pedestrian as a live performer. Also he was so in awe of Tipton and Downing that he felt too shy to write any lyrics himself and let them do all the work which led to the horrific cheese I mentioned earlier.

I think maybe the worst Priest song was Take On The World, a terribly lame Queen imitation.

That is true, they've often talked about trying to do something different on every album. KK Downing had said something like "There are some bands like AC/DC who simply release the same album over and over and they've done very well for themselves, but we're not like that. If we did that, our fans would say 'Well that's very nice but I already bought that album.'"

I think Fever is a really underrated track by them. It's really well put together and has a lot of great segments.

youtube.com/watch?v=0KaZ1VSdnYI

Good ol' James Vance--the hero that metal needed.