How do I into classical music?

How do I into classical music?

Other urls found in this thread:

wfmt.com/schedule/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't

listen to it..

just put on your local classical station for awhile and eventually delve deeper into the works of the composers you enjoy

fpbp

Start with this and also listen to some Philip Glass and other minimalist operas.

Start with some essential symphonies, like Symphony 9 by Beethoven, Symphony 9 by Schubert, Symphony 15 by Shostakovich, etc.

>>>/not-mu/

by listening bach

Read books on history of western art stuff.

>implying "being Sup Forums" is actually a good thing

this board would be better if everyone who doesn't appreciate classical music left. there is no disputing this

Arvo Pärt is accessible for people that don't know classical music

The classical general has a shit ton of stuff on mega. Go listen to that, links are in the OP

This planet would be better if everyone who thinks classical music is actually good was gassed. there is no disputing this

here, i'll give you an actual link this time:
or maybe you're feeling angsty:
have you masturbated today?
i don't care where you end up, but you can't stay here!

Terrible advice OP don't follow it.
When it comes to actual classical music, they play the same shit over and over again, then they'll do requests and for the nth fucking time some low brow pleb will phone in asking for Ludivico Einaudi, as if that fop's utterly sentimental tripe deserve to be held in even close the same regard as actual composers, and then the station's idea of "spicing it up" on the weekly is having a fucking slot for contemporary score music written for film and game soundtracks and sure, some of them are good, but you won't ever fucking DISCOVER music on a radio station because all they play is the same old shit that everyone already knows, instead of actually digging out lesser known artists and introducing their audience to some hidden gems.
My mum's collection of music is older than I am and yet I spent what, less than a month looking shit up and found two composers she hadn't even heard of before. It's just not fucking on. The only way to do it properly is by actually putting some fucking effort in, and digging deep. Read about classical music, read about baroque, classical and romantic music, go listen to a variety in each that comes up first in the searches, decide what you want to dive deeper into, and then do that. Find lists of composers by era or nationality or whatever you feel will help you laser in on what you like, by which time you should also have an idea of what specific forms of musical composition (symphonies, concerti, sonatas, operatic suites, symphonic poems, blah blah blah but don't necessarily limit yourself), just power down and go through as many compositions for any composer that you feel is necessary to get a stylistic ear in for them.

t-thanks guys

This is not true in general. The radio station I listen to doesn't do requests and I have rarely heard the same piece twice. The selection is pretty heterogeneous and I have discovered composers out of the usual top 20s of most famous classical composers

Just listen to Ravel

t. plebs who are too lazy and afraid to step out of their comfort zone to actually explore a new style of music
there's literally no reason why someone would dislike the entirety of classical music

so this is the power of rockists

This, except just listen to Petzold.

Nobody actually likes it, they just pretend to tbqh.

Yes, everyone is exactly like you. So very true. Upboated for teh narwahl gold.

just wait until you like it. Forcing yourself to listen to something to acquire taste will only make you depressed. There's a reason why it's nice to have good taste - because you develop it over years by listening to stuff you like, and not by an act of will. Don't be stupid

Eroica symphony

just turn on NPR after 6 PM

rude desu

I think it helps if you actually play it and not just listen.

It's not really hard at all to "get into" classical
Its very beautiful and not hard on the ears at all
Just listen to it I guess

The way I did it was by getting into romantic-era opera (Wagner, Verdi, Puccini). There's singing if you can't get into long instrumentals, it was popular with plenty of musically illiterate plebs back in its day, and its basically the basis of 20th century film scores, which is probably the form of classical music you're most familiar with already.

I used to listen to Bach or other mundane but necessary musics. Nowadays I get more attracted to modern and alternative classics variations like that of gaming musics (dark souls, bloodborne ost). Guess I'm slowly turning into normie.

chicago's classical radio station is quite good, actually. They mix in famous names with more obscure ones all the time, and they have weekly segments devoted to new works and understanding musical forms. A couple months back they aired a Penderecki interview and some of his music, so they address more modern works, as well.

forgot to mention it's streamed for free online

I should check that out

wfmt.com/schedule/
Here's what they're playing tonight.

One of the best parts is that the hosts still read out their commercials, so there's no super loud and jarring marketing. It's comfy.

>Puccini

shostakovich