Does anyone else feel insulted by this movie?

Does anyone else feel insulted by this movie?

I remember at the time of its release it was heavily marketed, more so than your average independent flick, and you'd read that it was supposed to be literally the scariest film ever made, and how it didn't rely on jump scares... which is a lot of bullshit because this piece of shit movie does have many moments of jump scares.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QHdcP-WxSRE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it was ok with some visually interesting scenes, I don't get why people absolutely love it but i don't either get why Sup Forums hates it so much

It's fine

This movie was genuinely scary up until the exact moment I heard that fucking ridiculous Godzilla stock sound effect.
Lol It yanked me right out of my immersion.
>Shit, this is fucking spoopy.
*SKREEEONNK*
>Bruh, was that fucking Godzilla......

>I don't get why people absolutely love it
because it was by a woman

A WOMAN
BRAVA

Annoying Piece-a-shit Kid Screams For an Hour and then You're Suddenly Supposed to Root for Him in the Last Act: The Movie

Guest starring: Generic-ass Creepy Guy with a Hat/ Symbolism for Grief and Depression or Some Shit

DUDE
METAPHORS
LMAO

These is the kind of thing critics jizz their pants over, so you shouldn't be surprised by the high rating.

>shitty kid
>[woman problems]
>"Well, at least I have a cool monster to look forward to---"
>Resident Evil 1 sound effects
>Panic at the Disco appears and crawls on the ceiling
>WAS it real? DID it happen? IS it just a metaphor for a mom who hates her son or some other bullshit you heard in a review?
>people defend this movie
>mfw

Lights Out was much better

I've never seen it but it's clearly reddit: the horror movie. Just look at that 'scary monster' He looks like that noel fielding cunt acting out his old greg character from the mighty boosh.

It's fucking laughable, even my normie brother thought it was complete shit.

>Panic at the Disco appears and crawls on the ceiling

Movie would have been scarier if this literally happened. Mr. Babadook just looks like a ripoff of Lon Chaney's "London After Midnight" vampire.

Literally stole that shit from The League of Gentlemen.
youtube.com/watch?v=QHdcP-WxSRE

It was alright if you're not expecting a horror, it's a drama really, and I'm not too surprised people here aren't interested in something about feelings/maternity/grief to be honest.

I dont even think its a horror movie, its more an edgy drama about mental illness.

The mom makes me so horny. I want to save her from her demons. I want her to be my God.

>Does anyone else feel insulted by this movie?
No bitch lmao what is wrong with you and your fucked up expectations m8

Agreed

why is everything that's a bit dark now called edgy? her husband died and she started to hate her son, if it was any less edgy it would be a censorship of reality, horrible things do happen and we shouldn't shy away from it.

Too bad it was advertised and even paced and edited like a horror movie.

It was a lame metaphor. The "dark" quality of the film died with the first "stocksound.net" monster noise that plays.

>you're my wife now dave

yeah it is too bad it was advertised as such, but the pacing was necessary for the metaphor to work. and the shitty monster noise plays into that too, like it's self away that the monster is fictional.

Stop

the painting of grief as something anthropomorphic isn't new, you might recall a certain black dog, there's nothing disastrously wrong with the film.

It was a shitty metaphor and the monster looked like shit.
I don't care that it's hard to be a single mom, I don't care that it's hard to be a widow, I have no sympathy for fairly mundane situations driving people insane. "Oh it's so hard being 14," or "Oh it's so hard being gay," or whatever.

And again, the monster looked like they put mascara on a PA at the last minute because they forgot the movie was trading on the suspense of a boogieman.

>like it's self [aware] that the monster is fictional

Then they shouldn't have made it look cooler in a children's book than in some insane woman's imagination.

>there's nothing disastrously wrong with the film
The child's acting. The woman was unsympathetic. The monster looked and sounded cheap.

it's on my netflix que. Should I watch it?

>a shitty metaphor
how was it shitty?

>the monster looked like shit
in what way?

>I don't care that it's hard to be a single mom, I don't care that it's hard to be a widow
well if you don't feel empathy then it's not for you

>fairly mundane situations
it's clearly not a mundane situation

>The child's acting
they acted like an annoying child and they seemed to get that right in my opinion

>The monster looked and sounded cheap
like a clown or a fake plastic thing yeah, like I've said I think that works in context of the film. It's not meant to be a real monster it's meant to be an imagined almost fairy tale thing.

if you're not looking for a cheap scare then yes

>an imagined almost fairy tale thing
You mean like the amazing shit Guillermo del Toro does in his sleep with a budget of 100 bucks?

>it's clearly not a mundane situation
Do you want me to pull census numbers for single parents with deceased spouses?

>the monster looked like shit
Literally looks like the lead singer from My Chemical Romance.

>how was it shitty?
Hamfisted and trite, and again, the execution was trash.

THE GOOD
>the book scenes
THE BAD
>the filmmaking in general, very generic stock sounds, bad editing, especially for the babadook
>ludicrous characters that eventually you start to hate
>washed-out color palette
THE UGLY
>the child

>Guillermo del Toro
no, like plastic bats and fake blood, like a children's book monster, like fungus the bogeyman

>census numbers
everybody's a person but films about the nature of us aren't always mundane. you can have as many widows as you want it doesn't make it a boring subject matter.

>Hamfisted and trite
that describes children

>execution was trash
in what way

>asking the same questions over and over again

The monster looked like shit.
The purpose of the monster, the reason it was a monster and not a fucking idealized imaginary child or some hotter version of the mom or the dead husband, is to elicit terror or revulsion.

Your nonsense assertion that it was intentionally shitty looking is ridiculous. They spent like 40 minutes building it up as the most horrific thing imaginable, and then had a fucking chase sequence in a hallway. The movie is nowhere NEAR as intelligent as you fucking think it is, it's just a cheap creature feature masked as something "deeper" and because the main character is a doughy single mother and not a sexy college student idiots like you project this deeper meaning where there isn't one because you constantly feel the need to defend it against people who see it for what it is.

Get over yourself, the movie is mediocre at best.

if I've asked the same question it's to a different thing you've said each time.

>to elicit terror or revulsion
it's to elicit her terror and revulsion primarily, it's her monster.

>assertion that it was intentionally shitty looking
I never actually said that I thought it was intentional, I just don't think it matters to much and it would even fit thematically.

>The movie is nowhere NEAR as intelligent as you fucking think it is
you seem to be making assumption that I think it's a work or art or incredibly cerebral but actually I don't.

>masked as something "deeper"
surely it's the other way around, it's really about grief and depression, I don't think you could argue it any other way.

>because the main character is a doughy single mother and not a sexy college student idiots like you project this deeper meaning where there isn't one
what? it's clearly about more than a spooky monster, the ending alone proves that beyond a doubt.

>you constantly feel the need to defend it against people who see it for what it is.
>constantly
>feel the need
there's some projecting going on here but I don't think it's coming from me.