Does anyone else think this movie could have been genuinely terrific if it wasn't for that god awful modern soundtrack?

Does anyone else think this movie could have been genuinely terrific if it wasn't for that god awful modern soundtrack?

Every time you settle into the story it slaps you in the face with that awful sound work.

That Jay Z song really brought the vapid, empty shallow zeitgeist of the 1920s into focus famalamadingdong

Or the party scenes in general, or Leo, or whatshername, or that they cut out the father, or the cgi comic aesthetics.
Come to think only Tobey was okay

They turned a boring book nobody wants to read in high school into Sin City lol

The best thing about Great Gatsby is Gatsby themed parties IRL.

Flapper dresses, gin drinks, cocaine and jazz....muh teeth are wiggling

Nothing made by Baz Luhrmann will EVER be terrific.

Do your damn research, OP. I'm not going to fucking hold your hand next time.

Reddit

the pop music of the time was just as shitty. the st was meant to reflect the overall plastic bullshit image the rich still cling to. jay z probably took his participation as a compliment. it's dance music for the drunk and stoned and empty.

>nobody ever invited him to a Gatsby party.

ha ha

Romeo + Juliet is a great film.

The soundtrack was awful but another key issue was the racial agenda. Blacks are 13% of the population and even less in the 20s but in TGG they're like 50% of the extras and they intermingle with the wealthy as if segregation was never a thing. So off putting.

This, exactly. It's hard to enjoy a film when there's an agenda being shoved down your throat.

Went into this film hoping to see a classy period piece. What I got was schlock with a sparkle filter, dancing nigger girls twerking to Beyonce, and le rich nigger gentleman driving a flash car literally throwing money about and surrounded by women like your stereotypical modern day 'gangsta;.

In an obvious attempt to appeal to young and hip audiences what could have been a fantastic film was turned into one more shallow, cgi laden piece of shit.

Fucking disgusting.

Well said.

The actor who played Tom did a stellar job. Otherwise this was a pretty shit movie.

The soundtrack was actually not entirely modern- it was a blend of 20's and modern hip hop. This was very intentional.

20's club and party music just sounds silly to most people now. It does not have the connotation that it did at the time. So they blended it with the modern equivalent and it worked.

Debicki was the only good thing in this movie

I honestly fucking loved it desu. Not as some deep film but just as the personification of glitz. The visuals and music were great. I love Baz though.

I'm probably not going to get a reply for this but whatever;

I think there's a really common trend with films these days where the core message of the source material is the excess is bad - but the director does there best to really nail down the excess to be genuinely desirable and in doing so, they completely fuck up and ruin the message of the story itself.

The Great Gatsby reminds me a lot of Wolf of Wall Street. The whole point of the story is that most of these characters are broken and worthless, but the directors go to such an extent in making the scenes of excess interesting that they end up entertaining the audience way too much and it's impossible to connect with that core thread.

Wes Anderson should've directed The Great Gatsby. The Royal Tenenbaums is proof of that.

I don't mean any disrespect when I say this but you sound like a real faggot.

I enjoyed a movie. You didn't.

Seems like I win this round.

directed by scorsese it could possibly turn out to be the best film adaption ever made of the novel. such wasted potential

did you seriously expect a classic period piece knowing that Baz Luhrmann directed it and seeing the promotional material? are you dense?

The first third is unbearable, with those extremely annoying jump guts, gurning and irritating sound effects.

>Blacks are 13% of the population
Of the country as a whole, but the black population is concentrated to certain regions. The movie is set in an area where the black population is much larger.

Yes. I had to shut it off.

This is exactly what I felt about The Wolf of Wall Street.

Didn't address the second half of that point because you're a silly cuck.

Some actual post worth reading on Sup Forums what is going on?

>dancing nigger girls twerking to Beyonce, and le rich nigger gentleman driving a flash car literally throwing money about and surrounded by women like your stereotypical modern day 'gangsta'

The whole point is that we have culturally ascribed some great merit to the early 20th century, when it was basically the same as you described