Why is this the highest rated horror movie on Metacritic that came out after the years 2000...

Why is this the highest rated horror movie on Metacritic that came out after the years 2000? I've never seen a Raimi film aside from Spider-Man and the Oz movie, but his style of horror seemed instantly natural to me. Still, there's almost nothing in this movie that's particularly masterful or scary and it's like high-quality schlock. Is this really the best horror movies since 2000, or is Metacritic full of shit? Is it anywhere close to the best?

>metacritic

What year is it?

It's fantastic. It imprints in your mind.

You could still suggest why it's the highest rated. Is there a whole bunch of no-name critics that really love this kind of movie?

>the graveyard scene

I still got chills

At what age did you watch it?

I tried to watch this the other day, didn't even make it to 1 hour. It felt like a cheap comedy mixed with annoyingly loud jump scares.

If you change your expectations, you might find it enjoyable on some level, but it's like one of those Scary Movies with all the spoofs and jokes removed.

It came like a breathe of fresh air among all those slasher / found footage era.
It's made by Sam Raimi FYI the guy who created the Evil Dead saga.
It got a lot of people by surprise since I guess the majority was expecting another generic horror movie.
Also, it has the cute Alison Lohman

>It came like a breathe of fresh air among all those slasher / found footage era.
Okay, but I'm not watching it within this context. I expected something that was scary, which was perhaps my mistake, and it didn't deliver in this in any adequate way.

>It's made by Sam Raimi FYI the guy who created the Evil Dead saga.
I was aware of that. That might lead me to expect that it would have high quality, but this in itself adds nothing to the film. How do Francis Ford Coppola's stinkers that he's produced for decades become any better merely because of the prior movies he's directed?

>It got a lot of people by surprise since I guess the majority was expecting another generic horror movie.
Okay, but I didn't need this that comes across like a horror film shot like a comedy, but without any jokes.

>Also, it has the cute Alison Lohman
I guess.

It was definitely hamstrung by being PG-13, but it was great.

And it is a horror comedy, just like the Evil Dead films. If the scene where the gypsy throws up in her mouth or the scene where she gets her entire arm into the gypsy's mouth didn't clue you into that, you're a goddamn autist.

But it wasn't scary or funny, so what was it supposed to be?

Humor and horror are subjective.
It was "supposed to be" a girl getting dragged to hell, hence the title. Did you miss the ending?

You're right about the Coppola point.
The thing is that this movie signed the comeback of Raimi into the horror genre after the Spider-Man success and other critically acclaimed movies like A Simple Plan.
Overall I just wanted to say that maybe sometimes you should document yourself on a movie before watching it and also figure out by yourself why you didn't like it instead of asking Sup Forums who luckily aren't in your head to tell you what to think.
The only real thing we might be able to do is to give you horror films suggestions...

Peace, user

No, I got that. There were parts that were a little scary, but nothing that approached mastery. Also, what was supposed to be funny in the movie? I'm really am not sure? When she killed her cat, or when the Gypsy was removing her dentures?

>I didn't find it funny or scary so nobody else is allowed to either

>document yourself on a movie before watching it
Usually, I like to do that exact opposite, going in cold, which used to be how people watched movies. I don't see why I should have to be informed of movie's background before I watch them, unless it's a continuation of a previous story. Nothing you told me would have made this movie must more enjoyable.

The style was certainly unique, but a lot of that has to with how inappropriate the style is for horror.

I'm asking which parts of it were supposed to be funny. Do you just not remember? Something like Scream would a horror comedy, as that has jokes. This really doesn't. It's not a matter of it being funny or not, at least that's not what I'm asking, only what parts were attempting to be funny.

its not hard to think it was the best of the newer horror movies since they were all mediocre as fuck, name a single better one that came out recently. the only praise it gets is that its quirky and tries to be meta, i dont really care for it but it is better than most of the shit we see today.

>name a single better one that came out recently.
I'm not really familiar with horror. I felt more when watching something like Hush, even though I have no doubt it's a very derivative and unambitious movie.

No offense but, how old are you?
I don't know, you can go cold and still take note of the year of release.
Everyone has its habits and movie knowledge, I'm not judging on that but I always at least read a two-line text about what I was about to watch (on the TV / Movie Theatre program or now IMDB).
It usually doesn't spoil the surprise effect. Matter of fact, I was hooked and surprisingly pleased by Drag Me To Hell because it wasn't taking its subject seriously.

On the same level of goofyness and horror, you should give a try to Peter Jackson's Brain Dead.
Have you tried recent shit like Insidious, The Conjuring, The Babadook, The Witch? What did you think?

Older ones that could work for you: Possession (1981), The Exorcist (obviously), Poltergeist (1985), The Omen (1978)

I usually go cold because I don't want a film spoiled to me. No piece of information you told me would have made me like the film more, and I certainly shouldn't have to watch Rami's Evil Dead Series to like a movie like this, and if I should, it's a flaw.

>On the same level of goofyness and horror, you should give a try to Peter Jackson's Brain Dead.
I don't stupidly excessive gore.

>Have you tried recent shit like Insidious, The Conjuring, The Babadook, The Witch? What did you think?
I have not, but I think I would like those more. I will watch Babadook, right now actually because I gave up with the Decent because it was utterly mediocre.

>Possession (1981), The Exorcist (obviously), Poltergeist (1985), The Omen (1978)
I've only seen the Omen in that list and, while it attempted actual horror, did not like it because of how silly it was.

Ok. It's far from perfect but still enjoyable.
You might also want to try John Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness.
The Thing is one of Sup Forums favourite movies and yes, it's a good one. But I think it won't provide you what you are looking for.

It's a comedy, like braindead.

There was some gross-out humor with the gypsy...and that's about it.

That's fairly minor and I didn't find that funny.

>The Thing is one of Sup Forums favourite movies and yes, it's a good one.
I remember the Thing as being incredibly as a child, far more creative deserving of praise than so many horror movies today that get it.

Honestly, I didn't either.

I guess there was also some comic irony in the movie. The protagonist is basically a good person who acts selfishly for the first time in her life, but she crosses exactly the wrong person. Later, she has the opportunity to get rid of the curse by acting selfishly, but she decides to do the right thing, which ultimately damns her. But, again, you may or may not find that funny. It's certainly not going to get a belly laugh out of the audience, but it might get a few smirks. I dunno.

If you didn't find this movie funny, I don't understand you.

>that scene where she stabs the cat
>the whole dinner party scene
>the fucking seance with the goat
For all the shit people give Raimi, myself included, he knows how to do black comedy.

I thought I was supposed to find those creepy.

>It was "supposed to be" a girl getting dragged to hell, hence the title. Did you miss the ending?
Or she was mentally ill, former eating disordered who ended killing herself when the stress broke her mind.

Yeah, then you probably didn't enjoy the movie because you expected a straight horror movie, which this is very much not.

this was great

hating everything by default doesnt mean you have good taste

not everything has to be a fucking bergman critically acclaimed masterpiece you fucking pillocks

>a random gipsy woman can just curse anyone to Hell
>they don't even have to die
>God doesn't give a shit
It's a BEYOND shit premise.

Comedy mixed with jump scares is Raimis thing. This movie is following in the same vein as Evil Dead 2

Hot Fuzz is literally a better horror/slasher movie than most actual horror/slasher movies

It sounds like you're just annoyed that the movie didn't conform to your expectations of a horror film. This is why other people enjoy it. Learn to enjoy a movie on its own terms.

Even as a black comedy, I don't think it delivers. Much better would be Dr. Strangelove, Fargo, American Psycho, Shaun of the Dead, Pulp Fiction, etc.

>hating everything by default doesnt mean you have good taste
I didn't hate it by default, but my expectations were too high, (and wrong because I expected a horror movie), but I still don't think the movie worked on any level.

I'll never know why this piece of shit movie is regarded as a good one.
It's the worst """""horror"""" movie I've ever seen. Involuntary humor from the start. I even felt embarrassed for the very poor acting and shitty effects. I honestly thought it was some kind of scary movie-esque, mocking of horror movies.

Raimi makes his movies by balancing horror and comedy in a way where you don't know which will come next. Sometimes you get a lot of build up, and he reveals something really shocking (like the final shot in the movie), or he will build tension and break it with a slapstick comedic moment (the vomiting).

In this way, you are able to enjoy the film as almost a haunted house ride, where you are expecting to be spooked but also aware that this is just fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously. He's said himself that he's too easily frightened to watch most horror films, and instead takes huge influence from the three stooges in the way he sets up his scenes.

It's hard to describe why you like something in a way that another person would fully understand, but that's the gist of it. Raimis moveis, especially this one, are just a big bag of fun.

>Learn to enjoy a movie on its own terms.
I think I tried that, but none of its attempts at horror are effective because it's so campy, and the attempts at horror make its few attempts at comedy fall flat.

>I can only enjoy movies that are critically acclaimed

>Much better would be Dr. Strangelove, Fargo, American Psycho, Shaun of the Dead, Pulp Fiction, etc.

Cringe. You're critiquing the film for not being one of several other extremely popular films ? And you choose films that are only very vaguely connected through elements of dark comedy, at that.

It's like watching Black Mirror and saying. "Even as science fiction, I don't think it delivers. Much better would be Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, and Avatar"

You're not saying anything

>I honestly thought it was some kind of scary movie-esque, mocking of horror movies.

That's because it is, you dumb fuck. Go watch Evil Dead 2 for further lessons in horror comedy.

The point is that it is campy. You don't know when it is going to be silly or scary, so the tension is mixed with a really really fun kind of uncertainty as to what you are going to get. It's a spooky halloween adventure, not a grim horror film.

then why the fuck are paople saying it's good when it's literally a piece of shit?

...what? I just told you. People love it as a horror comedy, because that's what it is.

Go watch Evil Dead 2, as that is the best example of Raimis talents, and what Drag Me To Hell is trying to do.

That was the point
>inb4 "hurrr it's bad on purpose still means that it's a bad movie" argument

its not really a horror i laughed too many times watching it

>that was the point

I guess, but I didn't know it when I started watching and was really expecting something different. I even laughed at some points too and thought it was interesting, just not what I was looking for at the time