To those who don't feel like this is at least a 9/10, why? I'm finding it hard to justify underrating it

To those who don't feel like this is at least a 9/10, why? I'm finding it hard to justify underrating it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This album is only disliked by contrarian avant-teens desu (which this board is full of, unfortunately).

I dunno man, I just find it kind of sleepy. Not a fan of the band in general.

the first half is super strong and the second half is kinda shit its a 7/10 desu

Radiohead is fucking gaydiohead

Dad music for gen x

a 10/10 means all great songs not just no bad ones. Electioneering knocks it down to a 9 and Climbing Up The Walls, though good, is just a little lazy. I've heard people say the same about The Tourist. It's those three songs that keep it in the 8.5 to 9 territory really.

"karma police" grates after hearing it so much. the rest is pretty great desu

2nd half is the best part you pleb

I agree that Electioneering isn't a good song; it's simply annoying—the worst guitar tone in all of Radiohead's discography.

Climbing Up The Walls hasn't aged all that well but in actuality was a highly original and influential song particularly with its atonal string parts—I would argue that it hasn't aged all that well because its ideas were adopted by many other artists.

The Tourist is beautiful IMO so I just disagree with those people who think it's "lazy". Although it is fairly conventional it is a very well written song with a GREAT vocal performance by Thom Yorke.

Sorry, forgot to add: I would rate it a 9.1/10 I think. It's a modern classic.

>Electioneering
10/10 rock song
>Climbing Up The Walls, though good, is just a little lazy.
What's lazy about it? Surely not the arrangement and production...

>the worst guitar tone in all of Radiohead's discography.
>I would argue that it hasn't aged all that well because its ideas were adopted by many other artists.
please kys

>>I would argue that it hasn't aged all that well because its ideas were adopted by many other artists.
>please kys

You do realize I'm saying that the only reason Climbing Up The Walls sounds dated is because it was highly influential on other artists, right? That's in many ways a positive comment.

Then it's not dated, it's trend setting.

It's an 8. Consistently good but the songs are slightly samey and as a whole it's not as memorable or well put together as Kid A

>slightly samey
What songs sound the same?

Yes, I agree with you, I was responding to a person who said that the song sounded lazy and tried to explain to that person why I think people might think it's "lazy".

So you misspoke.

You misread.

>Climbing Up The Walls...in actuality was a highly original and influential song particularly with its atonal string parts

I have a minor problem in that the album desperately seeks to close itself out past Fitter Happier. None of the songs in it are bad, but in a way, I can see any close after it closing out the album. It's weird. Hell, if you take out Fitter Happier onwards, the whole thing might've fit as an EP.

I do quite like the songs, but the issue is that as a whole I'd kinda like the second half to flow a little better without constantly feeling like I'm going to run up against the album's ending anytime now.

Still, it's a 9/10 for me, but just barely.

Compared to their later albums it isnt as experimental or unique. Its good alt rock but not much more

>You misread.
Oh you didn't say
>Climbing Up The Walls hasn't aged all
>Climbing Up The Walls sounds dated

your gaydiohead

It's not that album's fault you have a poor attention span

don't say alt-rock. jesus christ.

polyethylene and palo alto were intended to be the closing tracks but were cut in favor of the tourist. a bad move considering it makes the airbag/how am i driving ep an even better album than ok computer itself.

>polyethylene and palo alto were intended to be the closing tracks
source?

Nah, it's not a poor attention span thing; it just suffers from a severe issue where the last few songs sound like they could be the album's ending. It's poor overall organization IMO.

Oh, definitely. OK Computer's still great, however.

Alt rock

>it just suffers from a severe issue where the last few songs sound like they could be the album's ending
How so?

I mean it's quite good but I wouldn't say it's THAT good
I feel like it's just a quality album top to bottom (minus fitter happier) but not much stands out to me as something amazing

I SAID NOT TO

Well it is Alt Rock so

But the tourist is the best song

That's not a thing.

>it isnt as experimental
So?

Not a requirement for being good.

>not unique
Show me more Radiohead albums that sound like it.

Coldplay

There is no sensation of continuosly driving forward to another song like Paranoid Android does for example - it sounds very open ended because it never finishes its cadence, which is one way of creating a sensation that there will be something after it; and on the other hand the songs don't sound like they pick up from where it all ended, despite relatively similar sonorities. It's almost odd to put it this way, but Lucky and The Tourist feel far more disconnected than Subterranean Homesick Alien and Exit Music. Lucky feels like it just straight up ends and The Tourist doesn't try to pick up from Lucky's end.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock

>There is no sensation of continuosly driving forward to another song
That's OK, because it doesn't need to. Every song has a dramatic climax, and you are continually rewarded. This is a sign of a series of great songs, not weak structure

Furthermore, isn't that what Radiohead is trying to tell us: this is how our modern life is? A series of individual events rather than a long interconnected continuity? It's actually brilliant.

It's just a nebulous buzzword used by corporations to sell as much shit as possible under the same umbrella back in the 90s. No one has ever taken it seriously as a an actual sub genre.

Eh, I reckon, but the first half doesn't feel quite as such; it feels like a series of different, unrelated events that all just sort of move and blend together into the mediocre flow of modern life, while the second half is more akin to chops of different moments, each a self-contained story rather than a blur of tales with no connection.

He's right honestly, alt rock is such a blanket term it can mean almost all of the popular bands from the 90s.