OK Sup Forums I'm in a pinch here. The door to my bathroom is stuck closed and i can't open it...

OK Sup Forums I'm in a pinch here. The door to my bathroom is stuck closed and i can't open it. Luckily for me I'm on the outside and I can use tools but unfortunately I can't use the bathroom. The handle turns fine but the mechanism is broken and the lock won't open. Suggestions how to open it without breaking the door?

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-91/202585548
homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-in-End-Nipper-48060/203287749
homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1-16-in-Nail-Set-65782/300429137
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My front door gets shit jammed between the door and the wall at the hinge sometimes, maybe check there before removing the door.

No luck nothing seems off there

OK, Engineerfag here. I'm going to guess that the cast cam inside the lock mechanism is broken, so the handle turns but the cam does not withdraw the bolt.

First question. Which way does the door open? Does it open into the room (away from you) or out of the room (towards you)?

Second question. When you look into the gap between the jamb and the door, can you see the bolt (you may need a torch)?

I'm trying to help here, OP, but if I don't get a response soon I'm closing the tab and will leave you with the suggestion that you get an axe and imitate Jack Torrance from "The Shining"

>Which way does the door open? Does it open into the room (away from you) or out of the room (towards you)?
Away from me
>When you look into the gap between the jamb and the door, can you see the bolt (you may need a torch)?
No

Ignore this. I'll delete in a minute
OK. It may be difficult to fix this without some damage, but we can probably save the door.

Stupid question. Have you tried moving the handle both ways? When you turn the handle, what happens?

Can you unscrew the hinges? If not just boot it in and post pics

This is not Engineerfag. Of course you can't unscrew the hinges - I know this

Just turned the handle the other way, the door squeaked slightly but still didn't open, the portal to narnia came out of the closet and Santa is telling me some shit about Jesus's not actually being real.

Kick

OP. I'm guessing your door latch looks a bit like this

I am engineerqueer, the only person who can successfully remove a door!

How many internal doors do you know that don't have concealed hinges, you fuckwit?

Yes but the opposite
Yes i tried.

Pretty sure OP has shit himself at this point.

I cant see the hinges

OK. If you look at the picture I posted you'll see the white metal part with the square hole. This is the cam that has probably broken (these latches are often made in China with really poor metal)
I know you can't - ignore that idiot

You see the fact that the latch has a ramp on one side, so the door will latch when you close it? What you're going to have to do is use something like a pin or flat blade to push that ramp and make it slide back into the latch. To do this you'll need to be able to see the bolt. I'm going to do a quick drawing in Paint - bear with me

What if I cut the part around the door where the mechanism is and try introducing a screwdriver to push the mechanism inside?

But that's the thing. I can't have access to the door latch unless i cut from the side a bit

What if you literally just remove the doorknob?

you must push back the slanted bold with a small flat head screw driver or bank card

Best would be take a look at another open door to see what ur up against!

I did. Didn't help.
That's what i want to do but i cant reach the latch

Exactly, can you remove it by twisting the metal part close to the door?

I removed the doorknob.

I know this.
if you look at the attached picture, does this describe your situation?

Yes except I have to push it open.

OK. So you see the small green rectangle I drew? This represents the additional piece of wood that runs around the frame that the door shuts against.

Yea i see it. I have to remove that right?

You're going to have to create a small gap between this wood trim and the main frame so you can get at the bolt (the bolt has a spring that is keeping it engaged in the socket in the frame)

There's two ways you can do this. You could put a chisle into the gap and hammer it in to force the trim away from the frame where it's nailed on - this will do some damage to the wood and paint) or you can drill a small hole through which you can push a small rod. You need to do this in line with the bolt

*chisel - sorry

Then, when you have done this (and the hole or gap needs to be right against the frame), you need to slide something through the gap that will push the bolt back into the latch - the old "credit card" trick.

OK ill try with a sturdier knife and a hammer I'll post results. Thanks for the help.

Shit in the trashcan you degenerate fuck.

Good luck OP. You may have to fiddle about to get the bolt pushed back, butr that's the approach I would take. Once you get the door open, take the two screws out, take off the handles, pull the main square shaft out and remove the broken latch. Then go to a DIW store, buy an identical replacement and fit it.

Hammer the trim back into place, fill the damage with filler, repaint and you're done.

Also, if a sturdy knife won't work, try hammering a screwdriver into the gap

Kick the fucker until it opens then saw it in half

Just shit in the shower and stomp it down the drain

Judy is hot as fuk. She makes $40 million per half hour episode. Check wiki if you don't believe me. She is so rich she bought a Lear jet years ago, to go from NY and Fla and Montana, to LA.
A mega hot old jewess who is very frugal with her money. She married one old kike twice. She has dozens of kids and grandkids and never cooks anything.

kek

Bumping for OP progress

Bumble

Go to the hardware store and buy a flat pry bar. See link. It is pictured in the center.

homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-91/202585548

If you end up taking off the door stop pull the nails through instead of trying to pound them back. You will most likely end up chipping / blowing out the stop if you try to pound them back.

An end nipper works excellent for pulling the nails through.

homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-in-End-Nipper-48060/203287749

You also could use a nail set and drive the nails through.

homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1-16-in-Nail-Set-65782/300429137

OP, just jab a knife really hard into the latch ramp, some hijack type shit. you might break the wood on the door/wall from this though. pic related, i broke into my roomates room like this

Have you read the thread? No?

I thought not.

Fuck the thread, it's troll thread anyway.
Bathroom doors have split hinges for this reason. You can literally lift bathroom doors off their hinges.

>Bathroom doors have split hinges for this reason.
No. No they don't
>You can literally lift bathroom doors off their hinges.
You can only lift a door off a rising butt hinge if you can open the door.

You're either a troll or a fuckwit

began cringing about how technical the enginequeer was getting. I'm an engineering undergrad but this is fuckall Sup Forums. and you shut your nigger mouth

>I'm an engineering undergrad
>Butthurt because post was shown to be full of fail and retardation
Good luck never qualifying

>cringing about how technical the enginequeer was getting
You mean analysing the problem then providing a solution? Good luck with the real world

OP here i did it. In the end i used an axe to force the latch open and luckily I didn't do much damage(salvageable really)

Try it you idiot.
The reason the are like that is so kids can't trap themselves inside.
Fuck your shitty troll thread

Analysis was nice, but he failed the "i'm in a pinch" accommodation and he treats op like a fucking monkey. The real world is full of monkeys dumb nigger

>Try it you idiot.
I have a house.
My bathroom does not have rising butt hinges
My bathroom door cannot be lifted off
Now you go and lift off a locked door from your bathroom without opening it first.
Go on, I'll wait.
*tumbleweed*

>he failed the "i'm in a pinch" accommodation
How?
>he treats op like a fucking monkey.
Where?

Well done. I should have added to my picture that brute force and ignorance can also sometimes work.

But at least you're in. Now remove the broken latch before someone recloses it.

>How?
Don't know how long the threads been up to tell.
>Where?
Have you read the thread?

I thought not.

>Have you read the thread?
I'm the engineer fag with the drawing, so I think I have. I was inviting you to justify your assertions. As I suspected, you couldn't.

You're just stupid and, as OP has opened the door, I'm done with you and this thread. Life's too short to waste on fuckwits.

So mad fucking anal not enough for you ya fuckin knob gay

Either take the door knob off and open the fucking door or use a goddamn butter knife at the point of the bolt and a big fucking hammer. If you have no clue how to do either go upstairs and get your mom, she'll know what to do faggot

Obviously you can't if you don't have those hinges, but you should have those hinges.
Fuck your troll thread faggot

>Obviously you can't if you don't have those hinges, but you should have those hinges
Not him, but you said all bathrooms have those hinges, in your post here
Also, you claimed you can lift a locked door off its hinges. You can't. It'll be inside the door frame. Do you live in a tent?

Also a troll thread is one where OP is telling lies to get a reeaction. I don't think that's the case here. So as well as not knowing how doors work, you don't know how troll threads work.

Go get mommy to make you some warm, salty milk