What's the best David Bowie album?

What's the best David Bowie album?

Other urls found in this thread:

5years.com/guide.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=pjkNXuhJElw
youtube.com/watch?v=EuMX4PcUEJg
mega.nz/#!TQgCSYST!j-vd7GO7-R6v-T2x3nhJenao_omwCxLkLNv9u8_nDCo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can find that out by listening to all of them and deciding for yourself.

do NOT do this

Why not?

Low followed by Station To Station.

Because who in their right mind listens to music?

My top choices:

Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Station to Station
Low
Heathen
Blackstar

I do.

Blackstar, but you have to listen to all of his important albums for you to get the most out of it.

(i do too. xoxo)

Station to Station

Heathen because fuck it

I've only listened to Ziggy Stardust and Blackstar.

So in my opinion, Blackstar.

This. Blackstar is an instant classic given its extremely unique context and in my opinion, given a few years' time, will probably go down as one of the 100 greatest albums ever made not only because it's a powerful exploration of legacy and mortality but that its songwriting and production are progressive, forward-thinking, and beautiful.

But you can't really appreciate Blackstar unless you're very familiar with at least every major David Bowie release

It really depends on what you define in regards to the quality of an album, the quality of the songs within? Or maybe the production value? If we're going by vocal performances and or the overall quality of the material, which is harder to establish with Bowie, here are my picks.

Best Vocal Performance: Station to Station
Best production value: Lets Dance/Blackstar respectively
Overall Quality IMO: Tied between Scary Monsters, The Next Day, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars (you gotta say the whole thing) and lastly Low. The reality of the situation is you gotta count the whole Berlin Trilogy as one though, even though I don't listen to Lodge except BKS

This kind of stuff is hard to note down with Bowie of all people, but one thing is for sure, The Laughing Gnome is his masterpiece and it is never to be forgotten throughout the annals of history.

Qui audet adipiscitur

"Who Dares Wins"

Goodbye Mr. Bowie, we will miss your memery.

This

I've only listened to Blackstar. My answer is Lodger.

"Heroes"

Fight me on this point. "Heroes" has more complete songs, a better sonic direction, and better ambient tracks in the second half. Plus it has the track Heroes, which is one of Bowie's best performances.

Fuck, I mean "Heroes" has more complete songs than Low.

>The Laughing Gnome is a masterpiece.
Truth has been spoken.

"Heroes"

the only correct answer

I really like Ziggy stardust

everyone likes Ziggy Stardust. It's a great album
5years.com/guide.htm

Same except vice reversa

It changes all the time for me, which is why I regard him as such an excellent artist.

Here's my arbitrary and mercurial list.

1. Heroes
2. Hunky Dory
3. Station to Station
4.Low
5.Young Americans
6. Blackstar
7. Diamond Dogs
8. Ziggy Stardust
9. The Buddha of Suburbia
10. Scary Monsters.

I don’t think about it that way now but it’s not unreasonable to think I will think that way, it’s like there’s Easter eggs in the album

Even if it’s just minutia like the harmonica on I Can’t Give Everything Away

>6. Blackstar
>9.The Buddha of Suburbia.

Mine looks like this : - )
1. Station To Station
2. Low
3. "Heroes"
4. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
5. Lodger
6. Diamond Dogs
7. Aladdin Sane
8. Hunky Dory
9. Young Americans
10. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)

But if you asked me a few months ago, Young Americans and Hunky Dory would've been way higher and Diamond Dogs would be at about number 10, that's the beauty of his catalogue

you should listen to his post 80's albums

Props.

People always say that when I post my Bowie rankings, but the thing is..... I have
Stuff like Blackstar and Outside are good but I don't rank them alongside the 70's output (well, Blackstar is a close 10)

well you did rank Diamond Dogs and Young Americans as your top 10. Both are great albums but I don't think they should be that high.
Ranking Bowie's albums is pointless.

Diamond Dogs contains the most unique and vivid lyricism of his entire career and one of his most striking syntheses of sound he'd ever created. Plus, Bowie always considered it his favourite.

I'd trade you Heath for Diamond Dogs, then add Young Americans and Lodger and looks good

>Bowie always considered it his favourite.
I don't really trust what Bowie says in interviews.
youtube.com/watch?v=pjkNXuhJElw
youtube.com/watch?v=EuMX4PcUEJg

The True Patricians Ranking

>Station to Staition
>Low
>Diamond Dogs
>The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
>Young Americans
>Aladdin Sane
>Lodger
>Hunky Dory
>Blackstar
>Scary Monsters

Second Tier
>The Man Who Sold the World
>Baal
>"Heroes"
>Space Oddity
>1. Outside
>Heathen
>The Next Day
>Santa Monica
>Ziggy Stardust Soundtrack
>Lets Dance
>David Bowie

Third Tier (not necessary, but solid albums that are worth checking if your a fan)
>Live in Berlin EP
>Nassau Coliseum
>David Live
>Labyrinth
>1966
>"Hours..."
>Bowie at the Beeb
>Stage
>Black Tie White Noise
>The Next Day Extra EP
>VH1 Storytellers
>A Reality Tour
>Buddah of Suburbia
>Cracked Actor
>Bowpromo
>No Plan

The Shit Tier (Only for a completest)
>Tonight
>Reality
>Never Let Me Down
>Pin Ups

Haven't heard LiveandWell.com or Serious Moonlight EP so can't rank them

>Third Tier
>Labryinth
>Shit Tier
>Reality
what?

Labryinth has some okay songs, and the score isn't half bad. Reality feels like it's a lesser Heathen.

What would you change?

I like your chart but why the hell would I rank Bowie's albums. Almost all of them have something special in them.

Also if you actually enjoyed 1. Outside and Black Tie White Noise, you are cool.

I was just curious if you'd move one around over the other?

I do enjoy outside, and I love songs on Black Tie but as a whole I don't love it all. But one every album there's at least a few goods songs.

1. Ziggy Stardust
2. Heroes
3. Station to Station
4. Hunky Dory
5. Blackstar
6. Low
7. Aladdin Sane
8. Diamond Dogs
9. Scary Monsters
10. Young Americans

Honorable mentions:
Heathen, The Next Day, Lodger

No. Almost every ranking that I've seen has a bit of a personal touch in it. Have you ever seen a ranking that everyone agrees on?

>but as a whole I don't love it all.
I don't think Black Tie White Noise is a strong album either, but as the start of 'another era of Bowie' it's interesting.

No I get it, he had a solid run from 93 to 02. I just wonder what would have come if he didn't have the heart attack and take the 10 year hiatus

I see you keep forgetting Earthling; have you listened to it. I think it's quite all right. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is my favorite on it.

>if he didn't have the heart attack and take the 10 year hiatus.
I remember Scott Walker talking about him during that period.
>"He usually isn't stuck for words. Well, he's stuck for words these days, I don't know where he is or what he's doing. It's odd, he was always around, there was always something cooking. I wish he'd make a record."

Fuck, I'd put Earthling probably below the Ziggy Soundtrack

Fixed it, thanks for pointing that out

Ayy, nice placement. Makes a complete chart now, too.

I still have to hear that Serious Moonlight EP and LiveAndWell.com live album but I can't find them anywhere. Like I've searched torrents and YouTube and no dice.

Dude that's kind awesome. I know he released a song or was on a feature on a song a year till 07 but from 08 till 13 there was no new material. I wonder if he just had nothing left to say and needed the hiatus

>LiveAndWell.com live album
mega.nz/#!TQgCSYST!j-vd7GO7-R6v-T2x3nhJenao_omwCxLkLNv9u8_nDCo

He probably did need the break.

>Liveandwell.com is a 1999 limited edition live album by David Bowie. It is not available commercially and could only be acquired by being subscribed to BowieNet at the time.
Huh.

Ziggy Stardust, The Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Also "Early David Bowie" which is a compilation of singles, and unreleased studio material from when he still went by David Jones.

>flac
Such a waste of storage space

Anyway, my personal top 10 from best to worst:
>Station to Station
>Blackstar
>Hunky Dory
>Outside
>"Heroes"
>Low
>Young Americans
>Earthling
>Lodger
>Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

Honorable Mentions:
>Stage
>Cracked Actor
>Black Tie White Noise
>The Gouster
>A Reality Tour

Aladdin Sane is simply a phenomenal album.

LETS DANCE

All of them are masterpieces.

I wouldn't say it's the best but I enjoy Hunky Dory the most. Oh! You Pretty Things is my jam.

Outside