Sup Sup Forums I have so many stories to tell

Sup Sup Forums I have so many stories to tell.

>Be me
>6 months ago
>Get contract job to go to Antarctica
>Land at McMurdo Station
>ColdAsFuck.jpeg
>Get into my room
>Cool roommate
We'll call him Bob
>We start talking about what we're doing here
>Bob is cool, came from Australia, has contract as Plumber
>Not fixing toilets but actually laying and connecting pipes, ensuring everything works
>My contract was Firefighter
>Had quite a few spring up surprisingly
>We all had a role, none of us looked down on one another

AMA about my trip

what do you even do in penguinland?

Do you get satellite TV or just work out at an indoor gym and bask in artificial sunlight all day?

How many penguins and seals did you fuck? Did you warm your willy in bobbos furry plumber's crack? Did he lay down the pipe for you?

Did you boof anyone?

The past 2-3 months were actually nothing but sunlight since the sun doesn't actually set until the summer.

Outside of that there's quiet a bit to do there, there are gyms, game rooms or you can just chill with some of the scientists if you have a day off (which is only about one day a month)

No, no and no

No, I was always to busy to have time to myself or with anyone else. What little time I did have I enjoyed with the scientists studying the aquatic life.

How did you get a job down there? I’ve always wanted to go to Antarctica and I feel like working there would be an amazing experience

How often did you use your hose to fight the fire within the bobmans loins?

>Many stories to tell
>Doesn't tell any
Great thread op

This thread is cancer

A friend told me about it. They post contract jobs all the time on sites like Indeed. You don't even need qualifications sometimes. I met one kid fresh out of high school get a contact as a Carpenter. He made roughly $50,000 in 6 months, probably more if his Contactor gave him a gratuity bonus

Never did

Just ask me anything and I'll share

So are many other threads

I graduate this year (I started late) so I’ll look into it

Tell us about the time the power went out and you were forced to cuddle bobo for warmth/when you killed everyone one by one so you could wear them as a warm flesh suit until they reach ambient temperature and then you went on to the next flesh suit

Oh shit how is it there?

Underrated thread bump

Kek

If you go for it go with something your comfortable with or wouldn't mind dedicating time to. Chance are you won't get a Scientist contract but if you get a carpenter contract or something along those lines you'll be making good money and explore Antarctica.

Beautiful place but cold as fuck. -15 felt like a nice spring afternoon

Lmfao

Cold but beautiful, got to see penguins for the first time outside of a documentary. (Which they are tall btw)

Plus nice mountainous landscapes covered in snow. Almost like a Bob Ross painting. But the cons are is that it is cold as shit and snow storm happen every few weeks.

How did you get down there? Was travel paid for? I’m poor as fuck

Well since I cant imagine there were constant fires or emergencies to respond to, and there is only so much preventative work to be done, as a firefighter, what were your normal duties In a place like that?

What do the scientists do?

Cool fucking no stories in 30 minutes.

Yes, the flights were paid for by the contractor.

Went from DC to Atlanta, Atlanta to Austin, Austin to Austria, Australia to New Zealand, and New Zealand to McMurdo Station. Took about 30 hours of flight time overall with delays.

HOW TF YOU GET PASSED THE ICE WALL?! YOU LYING SACK OF SHIT THE EARTH IS FLAT AND YOUR A LYING UN GOVERNMENT DOUCHEBAG!

this.
> i get job on land that boring but you never went to
> what did you do there?
> nothing but o feel self important on a board a neets
i'd break your fucking jaw op in a single shot

There were actually quite a few fires that spring up. Outside of that we were also fitness coaches and mechanics to ensure everything was ready when the moment arose.

Damn, I really thinking about going through with this. I’m gonna have to get some experience in one of the main fields down there.

What dialect of English even is that?

I assume at least one of those scientists there were pretty cool.

Which cool scentist did you hang out the most with and what was their specialty?

Mostly examine samples of ice, study the ocean but my favorite part was their done observatory.

So close to the shore, the aquatic team has a facility that has constant scans of whatever is in the water. There is also a hatch in the bottom floor that has an 80ft ladder that leads down into an underwater observatory. Yes it's just as good as it sound. The size was that of a simple 2 person flat but even so the water was clear and it just seemed so peaceful and distant. It felt as if the world just stopped and I was lost in awe.

What was your main field?

Do they need paramedics? 8 years experience as a full time paramedic in a major metropolitan area looking for a change of scenery.

Don't want to say his real name so I'll just call him Dr. Seal, he was head of the geographical team. He would invite us to come along all the time. He had been working in Antarctica for years and went back and forth from home and work for 6 month intervals. He was probably the most passionate yet laid back individuals there. As for his look imagine Otakon from MGS but with a beard.

Yes actually they do, I think they're looking for some for the summer contracts which applications end in May and you'll be shipped off in June so be ready to leave at any moment once you apply.

I’m a senior in high school still and I’m honestly thinking about taking a couple years in Antarctica before college to help pay for it. I already have OSHA/safety training and I can still take some free college courses in my free time (There’s a program in my city) plus I’m taking IT courses and can operate CAD and 3D printers

Cool. Thanks, Ill peep it out

Maybe you'd be best suited for the mechanics and safety portion since you've already had OSHA training. But outside of that don't anticipate getting into a tech team without a degree. It's the sad truth but it's always worth a shot to apply.

Yeah I figured I wouldn’t make a lot without college but it could help me save up for school. How the fuck do taxes work down there? And I’m assuming you stay there free but correct me if I’m wrong

Are there positions for people that aren't skilled? Like I'm not a professional mechanic, but I know my way around cars and fixing things in emergency situations. I know my way around a fab shop, and can weld. I'm in school for supply chain management, but it's not going great and I could use the money.

So it depends where you're from, if you're from Australia or someplace they'll be taken out automatically. However for Americans they've played the system saying that they don't have to pay since they claimed the money in neutral land. So you can set it up to where you can pay the taxes or you can try to fight it. I took the safe way and set it up to be taken out automatically with my W-4's. My contact was for $85,000 but I got a gratuity bonus of $40,000 plus an additional 15% on top of that since I only took 5 out of my allowed 20 days off.

I ended up leaving Antarctica $130,000 richer so I'm going to reapply for a contract here soon but for now I'm catching up with family and possibly buy a house.

I actually just posted an example user, there jobs for just about anything so it's best to check daily if something springs up that you know you're good at

Holy shit thats probably enough money for a degree at a shitty college so I could go back and make even more. How was your relationship with the outside world before, during and after? I have a girlfriend and I’m really close with my family

I didn't have a girlfriend before, but with my family it felt about the same. McMurdo Station has WiFi so I was able to Skype them from time to time, but it's always being monitored otherwise I'd have posted on here daily of my adventures.

I saw that right after I posted my message. Thanks!

How different is it from regular life? Is it hard to readjust?

>OP actually giving real answers
Good job sir, may your next expedition go smoothly

Yes it is, I transitioned from fall to winter so for a solid 2 months it was pitch black outside and unless you had your phone or a watch you couldn't tell if it was 3am or 3pm. Then come around Halloween time the sun came up... And never went back down. So it could be midnight and it would be shinning like midday. Aside from that and snow it was nice. The rooms were fairly small but you felt like someone important there, because like I said in the beginning. Everyone has a role.

Thank you user

I’m gonna look more into this but thanks for all this help man. Good luck with your next expedition

I did that once shit went south real quick. Had to kill everybody.

>tfw your trade would more than likely be worthless there
What's the most fucked up thing that happened there?

One of the surveyors were raped on the job. That's about it. It's not just men there but women too.

Surveyors basically ensure everything is ready for airplanes to land and ships to dock

Was the perpetrator caught or punished?

Are electricians something in demand there? I'm in a somewhat related field as a lineman so I'm sure I can figure out indoor wiring.

Props to you for being a lineman. My Aunts husband died doin that shit. It seems like good work despite the danger though.

Yeah it definitely wasn't my first choice kek, more like 3rd. It's rewarding and pays well, I actually do enjoy it but I could have done pretty much anything else if I had the money for school or will to go deep into debt. Definitely dangerous I'm just saving up enough money to open up my own business or buy some land and build a house with enough left over to fuck off and ride out life at.