en.wiktionary.org/wiki/женик
youtube.com/watch?v=I4nNI2w5cDY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_I_of_Serbia
slobodni.net/t850/
ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Саичич,_Александр
youtu.be/5HTtLC6Xu6s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*raises paw*

Are Slavic names are popular in your countries?

Not really, a couple are quite popular such as Wojciech and Stanisław but most names are of Greek and Biblical origin.

Hello.

oh jesus look

you dont have to repeat the verb twice sasha, everyone will get you either way

fixed

it's still not fixed, i forgot to add the russian flag in the original pic

Do you count churka shits as slavs?

Since everyone's fixing it, I'll try too.

nice fix well done

Začem Litva?

Belarusian rap

youtube.com/watch?v=ESBy9_PeVdc

What does жeникa mean?

youtube.com/watch?v=jKdhkx5ywbk

Because Baltics are a meme. Lithuania is Poland's sister and Estonia is little mongolia. Latvia????

bridegroom

жeних - Bridegroom

'i want a man to mary , i want to be rich' or something like that

Accusative case of жeник 'groom'. She wants a man to marry.

>this is not russian thread
Жeних(Zhenih)-bridegroom

I know she wants a man, but the word means a man? It sounds like it should mean woman so I was confused. Thanks.

>жeник
жeних

Naw, that's жeнщинa.
That, yes. Interestingly, it is actually жeник in BCS: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/женик

It is an interesting issue, I think we can match certain Slavic names in Poland to several groups:

1. used in the past (before 16th century), not used anymore (or very rarely and considered extremely edgy): Dobrogost, Gromosław, Sobierad

2. used in 19th-20th century (up to the 1960s), rarely used nowadays: Wiesław, Zdzisław, Czesław

3. names that have "always" been common, in the past (far and closer) and now: Jarosław, Radosław, Sławomir (I mean, you can meet a 70-year-old guy, a 30-year-old guy and a little baby named Jarosław pretty often)

4. names that were common in the past, lost popularity, but regained it lately: Stanisław, Kazimierz (I mean, they were extremely popular in the 1950s, 60s, then lost popularity in the 70s and now they're quite popular again, every third toddler is Stanisław nowadays).

Discuss

why was slavic culture so overwhelmingly dominant over finnic culture? was it our culture to intelligent for the masses?

Can someone explain what the difference between тaк and дa is in Ukrainian?

in english both a man and a woman 'get married' but in serbocroatian a man '(o)ženiti se' and a woman 'udati se'

ženiti would literally mean 'to woman yourself' and 'udati se' - to give yourself into something

ik is one of the many endings for a person that does some action, so you take ženiti, take away the ending iti, and put ik at the end. žen ik

Tak is the official, "literary" for "yes", da is just colloquial, vernacular.

An anchor on TV will usually say "tak", while average people usually prefer "da", even in western Ukraine.

i didn't even know you had slavic influence, but those germanic scandinavians don't really accept you so i put you into the slavic empire

We have the same in Polish:

ożenić się - "to wife yourself"
wyjsć za mąż - "to go behind your husband"

Thanks

There's similar names
>Irene
>(H)elene

That means woman though, I meant bride. Not that it matters I just thought жeних would mean bride but it means the groom.

You got it wrong. We love binland, binland just doesn't want to be with us.

I think it's similar to Polish: "tak" and "no" [w sensie no jako potwierdzenia].

Vladislav, Stanislav, Yaroslav, Sviatoslav, Rostislav - these names always was popular in Ukraine.

yes, through the past the catholic church forced latin names , and historians and slavists dug up old medieval names and spread their popularity. like zvonimir, krešimir, tomislav... in serbia it is the same, except that they have the orthodox church which spread greek names, not latin

>Vladislav

This name would be in the group no. 2. Pretty common in the 1950s, 60s, but not anymore.

>Sviatoslav, Rostislav

These are typical East Slavic names, never used in Poland (at least since the medieval times).

to conclude, 'ženik' comes from the verb 'ženiti se' , not directly from the noun 'žena'

Aha, that is probably where the confusion lies then. Thanks.

>average people usually prefer "da"
I don`t agree with this

Maybe we have different acqauintances. Most of people I know would use "da" in a normal conversation (and they're from Volyn), especially if it's just nodding (like "uhm" in English). Maybe it's different in Lviv or Bukovina, though.

in kajkavski dialect in croatia old people still say 'iti (v) za muž' that's pretty similar to the polish one

How are slavic names popular, besides Tomislav which is half latin, all other slavic names are either meme names like Borna or Zvonimir, or old people names like Željko or Predrag.
Also look at the list of most popular names and they are all mostly christian.

What about Zdravko? Sounds great.

"Zdrówko" is a popular toast in Polish and means "[be] healthy!"

It's like that in Russian as well, выхoдить / выйти зaмyж.

he is right, -ko names have become unpopular lately, nobody names their child like that

>-ko names have become unpopular lately

I bet it's too Ukrainian

"da" it's loan translation from Russian used in "surzhik" - mixed ukr ad rus langs.

Only old people use it.
Only slavic names popular among younger generations are names of medieval kings and dukes, and they too are falling in popularity since 90s.

ženitsja - to wife yourself
vyjti zamuž - to go behind your husband

youtube.com/watch?v=I4nNI2w5cDY

>Only old people use it.

Bullshit. Zdravko Colić will never be old. He will live forever young.

PUSTI PUSTI MODU

>why was slavic culture so overwhelmingly dominant over finnic culture?
But it wasn't user.

1000 years in a sea of Slavs and we still speak Hungarian, have our unique naming system (Family name first, Given name last like East Asians - ie: Farkas Attila ), we use the 2017.06.02. form to write time and date like Asians again.
I'll concede we borrowed words from Slavs, but so did we from Germans, Austrians, Turks and Romance languages, because that's the nature of agglutinative languages.
If anything, the neighboring Slavs got Hungarized over time too. Especially Slovaks, who're just Magyars who insist on speaking a broken version of Czech.

Also we got along with Croatians and Slovenes extremely well in the past so there was a heavy cultural exchange there too, but I'm not familiar enough with their culture to point out the specifics. I know they had influenced us the most among Slavs, so it stands to reason we had an effect on them too.

Christian names were always most popular until second Yugoslavia when meme names like Zoran, Milan or Slavica emerged.
Then during 90s when nationalist sentiment was high, names of national heroes and rulers surfaced, now traditional christian names are again popular, same as in most of Europe as far as I can see.

I know, but even people who speak 100% Ukrainian, not surzhik, use "da". It's so common that no one thinks it's exclusively "Russian" desu.

>2017.06.02
It's even worse than burgers

GIRLS
1 Milica
2 Anđela
3 Jovana
4 Teodora
5 Marija
6 Ana
7 Katarina
8 Sara
9 Anja

BOYS
1 Nikola
2 Luka
3 Marko
4 Stefan
5 Aleksa
6 Lazar
7 Aleksandar
8 Filip
9 Nemanja
10 Miloš

>Milan

You must be a football player with this name?

slovak isn't broken, it's actually a bridge betweeen south west and east slavic languages everybody understands them equally, so it's more like the ultimate slavic language. even the name slovak just means slavic

even worse, a Serb.

>boys' names end with "a"

Is this even Slavic?

Russian male names or diminutives often end like that (Vasya, Sasha, Dima).

I see that with the name "Nemanja" you're bound to play football too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_I_of_Serbia

the "a is feminine" comes from romance languages, there are tens slavic leaders who bore names ending with -a (borna, nenada) in byzantine and other medieval sources

>Russian

That's why I denied its Slavic roots. Russian is a Ugro-Finno-Turkic language.

Boys
1 Aleksandr
2 Sergej
3 Vladimir
4 Andrej
5 Aleksej
6 Dmitrij
7 Nikolaj
8 Evgenij
9 Mihail
10 Jurij

Girls
1 Jelena
2 Tatjana
3 Oljga
4 Natalja
5 Irina
6 Svetlana
7 Anna
8 Jekaterina
9 Ljudmila
10 Marija

>jakub
are you secretly ottomans

Rođenje ili redosljed kod rođenja: Rodna, Petko, Prvul;
Karakterne osobine i/ili epiteti: Blaženka, Drago, Mila, Mirko, Tihana, Tvrtko, Vedran, Jasna;
Hrabrost, borbenost: Branimir, Borna, Boris, Branimira, Trpimir;
Mitologija: Lada, Morana;
Vjera: Božica, Božena, Božana, Božidar;
Biljke: Bosiljka, Dunja, Ljiljana, Loza, Malina, Višnja;
Kovine i metali: Gvozden, Zlatan;
Nebeska tijela i svemir: Danica, Luna, Vega, Sunčana, Svemir, Zvjezdana;
Vjetrovi: Lahorka, Vihora;
Oborine i vremenske prilike: Snježana;
Dan: Dan, Zora;
Dani u tjednu i godišnja doba: Nedjeljko, Jesenka;
Nacija: Hrvoje, Hrvatko, Hrvojka;
Vatra i voda: Iskra, Žarko, Ognjen;
Zemljopisni motivi: Zrinko, Zrinka, Gvozden.

this is too funny, countinue reading here slobodni.net/t850/

i also once found a list of croatian names from medieval documents through the centuries, it was really funny now im trying to find it again

We also use it. It's a Bible name.

Might as well post ours.

Female
1. Mia
2. Lucija
3. Petra
4. Ema
5. Ana
6. Ena
7. Lana
8. Dora
9. Marta
10. Sara

Male
1. Luka
2. Marko
3. Jakov
4. Ivan
5. Petar
6. Matej
7. Gabrijel
8. Filip
9. Fran
10. David

It's a diminutive form.
>Vasya
Vasilij
>Sasha
Alexander
>Dima
Dmitrij
We don't use "Vasya" or "Dima" in the ID.
>girls
Where's Ivana?

I speak ukrainian and my friends too. I never use "da" in "tak" meaning, (I`m from Lviv) but we have many dialects in ukr. so maybe they can use it like that.

>tfw serbian version of "christian" isn't hrs anymore
why even live
masha'allah

The only problem that most russians don't want to admit that

>(I`m from Lviv)

So it explains everything. Maybe in Galicia people don't use it, but everywhere else they do.

version "ivan/ivana" isn't much popular in serbia, we use "jovan/jovana", taken directly from greek "ioannis". people might suspect you're croat or bulgarian if you're "ivan/ivana"

Cлaв cлaб xD

That's intesting :^]

:DDDD

you think?
ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Саичич,_Александр

Do you use words like: rower, patelnia, strych, kamienica?

If Serbs hated Austro-Hungary, why did they wear Austro-Hungarian moustaches?

"Taк" also can means "so" or "as".

that's what tak/tako means in all slavic languages.

we didn't hate the kuk, the kuk hated us

>Russian is a Ugro-Finno-Turkic language.
Nah, that's not true. Especially the Finno-Ugric part, unfortunately.

Berislav, Blago, Borko, Borna, Božidar, Branimir, Branko, Branislav, Braslav, Budimir, Časlav, Dalibor, Damir, Darinko, Darko, Davor, Dobroslav, Domagoj, Dragutin, Dražen, Držislav, Dubravko, Dujomir, Gojko, Goran, Gvozden, Hrana, Hrvoje, Kocelj, Kazimir, Krešimir, Krunoslav, Ladislav, Ljubomir, Ljudevit, Mane, Milan, Mirko, Miroslav, Mislav, Mladen, Muncimir, Mutimir, Neven, Ninoslav, Ognjen, Ozren, Porin, Porga, Pribina, Radoslav, Radovan, Ranko, Rastislav, Ratimir, Sandalj, Selimir, Slavko, Svetislav, Svevlad, Tiho, Tihomir, Tomislav, Trpimir, Tvrtko, Vatroslav, Većeslav, Vedran, Velimir, Višeslav, Vitomir, Vjekoslav, Vjenceslav, Vladimir, Vladislav, Vlastimir, Vlatko, Vuk, Vukac, Vukadin, Zdenko, Zdeslav, Zdravko, Zlatko, Zoran, Zrinislav, Zrinko, Zvonimir, Želimir, Željko

i knew a guy whose name was Ljudevit, it's an an old name that's supposed to imitate the sound of latin 'Ludovicus', everybody made fun of him

Am i gonna be killed if i come to Poland? youtu.be/5HTtLC6Xu6s

Btw I get butthurt that no language but Polish (and languages that borrowed it from Polish) uses a special word for pic related, that is "kamienica" in Polish.

Kamienicas are in every European city, yet no language seems to have a separate word for it.

>Especially the Finno-Ugric part
For you :^)

?

I heard that popularity of the construction "u menja jest" instead of "imeju" is a Finno-Ugric influence.

you have similar thing in arabic
maybe russians are secretly arabs

As far as I know, no Ukrainian has been killed in Poland by Poles.

Meanwhile, quite a lot of Poles have been already killed in the UK by Brits.

what? buildings from the secession period (19 century)?

Can you explain what a kamienica is? Just a decorated building front?