/CD/

/CD/

This thread is for the discussion of CDs, and CDs only. Please do not post about your Records or cassette tapes in this thread. Please keep memes, low-effort replies, and shitposting to a minimum. These threads are meant to be mature, in-depth discussions of the superior format, for true collectors and serious music fans. If somebody comes into this thread to slam CDs, or buying physical media, ignore them. Do not give them any (you)s, and try to keep the thread on topic instead of arguing. Here are a few questions to get the discussion started.

>what kind of CD player or drive do you have?
>do you mostly buy new or used CDs?
>what is your most valuable CD?
>what have you purchased recently?
>how do you store/protect your CDs?

Feel free to discuss reissues, post pictures of your sound system, links to your discogs profile, or whatever else.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F8AE84
discogs.com/Warda-Yalcin-Avec-La-Participation-D-Esther-Lamandier-Vie-De-Jésus-Chants-De-LEglise-DOrient-En-Ara/release/9887617
discogs.com/Idiot-Flesh-Fancy/master/626715
discogs.com/Eric-Friesen-Friesenberg-Concertos/release/4638821
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Typically I get new CDs unless there's a good reason to buy an older edition (eg. latest "remaster" is brickwalled)

>>how do you store/protect your CDs?
By year

I go by artist name (using last name for solo acts such Bowie, Miles Davis, and Frank Zappa), then by chronological release

bump

i just rip my CDs to my macbook using an external cd drive. i never directly listen to any of my CDs
i still buy a lot of both used and new CDs
most valuable at the moment might be original issue of The Glow Pt. 2
this week i got copies of Nurse With Wound - Soliloquy For Lilith + Homotopy to Marie + A Chance Meeting, Current 93 - The Inmost Light, Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
lol i protect my CDs from dust by placing the removed shrink wrap on top of a stack of CDs

I have a few box sets that are worth more than any single CD I have, but I think the most expensive single CD is probably Elil by Fall of Efrafa.

Or maybe Wrong by Nomeansno.

At least according to discogs.

Is there a way to tell for sure that a CD has Pre-Emphasis? I have 1984 and The Wall, and they both sound really bright.

Two of my favorties

Enjoy your disc rot

pic related, its you in 20 years when you have to dispose of your collection because it doesn't work anymore

>i never directly listen to any of my CDs
bro you are missing out. CDs have the coldest, crispest sound of any medium. The subtle whiirrr of the motor, the occasional clicking of a well-aged disc, makes me feel so cozy and relaxed.
You haven't really heard an album til you've listened to it on CD

I dunno about all of that shit but I love having CDs around that I can use during car rides. Especially when I'm driving trucks around at work and they don't have aux cords

>have CDs made in the 80s
>no disc rot
>play/rip fine

okay

Disc rot was an epidemic that only occured in specific pressings of specific albums from specific plants.
CD production is generally done with tight tolerances in clean environments, and the average CD lifespan is rated to approx. 1-200 years in good storage conditions.
So no, that won't be happening. I have countless CD's that have turned up with zero data errors in checking software, that were manufactured in the mid to late 80s.
Meanwhile, any time I buy a vinyl record there's a 60% chance it will have unfixable wear, noise, and distortion to the grooves, especially the inner ones.

>he doesn't separate the jewelcases from the digipaks
The hard plastic edges are gonna fray the cardboard, dude.

>he doesn't buy outer sleeves for his digipaks

>he doesn't store each cd in a separate, airtight safe
lol pleb

Exactly.

Though the mini LP, cardboard foldout, digipacks, etc are hard to store since they have such varied height and thickness. Or, I guess annoying to store, at any rate.

>He doesn't own his own pressing plant to make backup copies by the thousands for storage in a satellite facility orbiting mars

You're basically throwing your money down the drain

Typically I get used CDs because most remasters are brickwalled.
Just look at the DR rating on Hysteria 30th edition. All 6s and 7s, just like the Mastering Engineer who did that.

I have a really awesome Pioneer player from 1984, and my god, I love the crispness of proper digital hi fi over some half decent speakers.
Here's a pic, I have a different amp now though, a newish Harman/Kardon AVR series.

Remember these abominations?

>Rip CD with EAC
>One track keeps coming up as 99.9% accuracy
>Have reripped it multiple times, disc is pristine, give it a clean anyway, still isn't perfect

That's a pretty typical percentage. The Redbook standard and other agreed rules meant thst right out the gate pretty much all hardware and software to decode CD's is capable of really smart error correction. Some are better than others of course. My ancient pioneer somehow plays a copy of Invisible Touch (without audible errors) that is full of holes that EAC actual hangs on.
WTF is that shit?

That's not what I mean, every track is 100% except for that one and it's riling up my autism.

Lmao i get that. I always panic when I see the red squares light up in EACs error checker?

>>what kind of CD player or drive do you have?
I have a 10+ year old entry level Denon CD player. I'd like to upgrade it but I don't know what to buy.
>>do you mostly buy new or used CDs?
I only buy new, unless the album is out of print
>>what is your most valuable CD?
I really don't know. I own thousands of cds, something particularly valuable must be there.
>>what have you purchased recently?
Cherubs - Heroin Man
Nails - Abandon All Life
Gary Numan - Telekon
Bobby Conn - King for a Day
Terminal Cheesecake - Angels in Pigtails
Subarachnoid Space - Almost Invisible
>>how do you store/protect your CDs?
I store them alphabetically and I protect the ones with cardboard cases (digipacks or similiar) with wrapping sleeves.

Marantz amp and CD player. Aaron ATS3 speakers

I only really keep my prog, kraut and psych in any type of order. the rest are kinda in a chaotic state.

>what kind of CD player do you have
I have a nice optical drive in my PC, I forget the exact model
>do you buy new or used
Almost exclusively new, used CDs often have problems.
>What is your most valuable CD?
Sentimentally speaking, I own some punk album my Dad made that isn't very good but I like anyway. It's not even on Discogs.
I don't think any individual CD I own is really worth any significant amount, I don't really hunt for rare issues.
>What have you purchased recently?
Three CDs of Ukrainian folk, two of which you can't find on soulseek or private trackers as far as I know, and the other can only be found in a terrible 128 transcode.
>How do you store/protect
Alphabetically, I'm looking into getting some sleeves or something for things with cardboard packaging

D_Skins, they were all the rage.

>I'm looking into getting some sleeves or something for things with cardboard packaging
these are perfect for single digipaks
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F8AE84
jewel cases are slightly too big to fit without ripping the sleeve apart, but you usually don't use with them

I guess I should have remembered to answer the op questions:
>What kind of CD player do you have?
Pioneer P-D70
>Do you buy mostly new or used CDs?
Mainly used. I tend to look for the best release I can get for a sensible price. And they're usually not the newest. Despite that, I've never bought a bum copy used.
>What is your most valuable CD?
I own a rare Slovenian market copy of Laibach's self titled first album that has a number of sound errors. I paid 8 bucks for it at a local record store, it's worth between 30 to 100 USD.
My friend has a Computerworld target CD, valued at about 500. He paid 5.
>What have you purchased recently
Pet Shop Boys - Please
Peter Gabriel - Security
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
Aphex Twin - SAW Vol.1

Also I store my CDs in multiple places. Some in a wooden crate, some on a rack, and some in a drawer.

guys, can you recommend me a good european webstore that puts a lot of care in the packaging of cds?
many times digipak cds gets damaged during transit because stores usually ship them in a simple bubble mailer with no additional protection. Amazon is specially bad at this. They use envelopes made of thin cardboard with no padding at all.

Usually Discogs sellers are pretty caring. And many are in Europe.

I buy on Discogs a lot, but only used out-of-print albums. Sometimes the packaging in good, sometimes it's mediocre or just barely adequate.
Next time I should check it for new items too.

>most valuable
this fucker cost me $244 but it was the only one on discogs (i assumed it was going to be the only one ever but three months later someone sold it for $55 so i probably got kiked)

I would never spend more than 100 bucks on a single CD.
The most I've spent is probably a bit more than $50.

at the time i was thinking it might be my last chance (since the felice brothers took that album off their shop). If pic related ever appears for sale again I'll be on that real quick. (this image is from google and is the only visual evidence for a physical edition, the album is already hard to find)

same here

CDs are fun because i can't afford a record player and feel too hipster buying records just to look at them

I don't think I've really paid much for any of my CDs but I bought From Rotting Fantasylands for like $10 out of 5+ listings a couple years ago and now it's selling for $75 on discogs

Plus they actually sound better. Blind tests have near consistently proven it.

This is probably my most expensive CD (if you can call $25 expensive). I bought it for the meme for $1 at a thrift store.

bump

Mostly get used online, but whenever I see one that I really like or is cheap enough I might buy it new at the store.
I don't think I have anything rare at all really.
Portishead - Third just arrived this week, before that I got Morphine - Yes, Mezzanine, Amputecture and timeless
Haven't got them in any order right now, but I do use sleeves on my digipaks

>using an external cd drive
applefags are pathetic cucks, i bet next time they’re gonna remove usb slots

A Sony I found used years ago. I usually listen to music on my computer though. It lets me do stuff while listening, and I prefer listening to music with headphones than speakers. I really like immersion

Almost always used. The only time I ever buy new is if it's all I can find, happens to be cheap (this happens on Amazon sometimes), or if it's a new release from an artist or band I actively follow and collect. Buying used is amazing. You can find stuff you've been looking for for deeply discounted prices (sometimes as low as a dollar), other times, you can find something you've never even heard of that ends up being a pleasant surprise to you. On top of that, you can often buy 5 or more used CDs for the price of one new CD. There's no drawbacks other than the possibility of it being in bad condition, which is why you always open the case to check the CD is in good shape

I have original CD issues of most of Swans' discography. I had my CD copy of Holy Money personally signed by Gira, so it's probably worth a little over 60 or 70 dollars now. I also had Sonic Youth's Sonic Nurse personally signed by Thurston and Steve. CD and vinyl (they'll be worth more when I eventually (and hopefully) get Kim and Lee to sign them)

I have a stack still sitting on my desk that I need to import to my computer. I'm not home right now so recalling everything wouldn't be easy. I know Sick Puppies - Tri-Polar and Santana - Shape Shifter are in the pile, along with some unknown artists I found in dollar bins, all for sampling

On my shelf, standing on the spines like books. Any expensive, rare or signed CDs, I place in an additional protective sleeve. I also keep some signed ones framed on my wall

My shelf, then I have some others placed elsewhere (smaller shelves, on my desk or in boxes)

>i bet next time they’re gonna remove usb slots
they already have

A Samsung USB drive just for ripping to ALAC

Try to buy new but a lot are used. Probably 50/50

I have a massive photobook of one album that cost about USD$400
Another album I have as a mini LP which cost about USD$300

QOTSA - Villains from Tower Records in Japan
XTC - Black Sea and XTC - Mummer mini LPs from Diskunion, also in Japan
>tfw Black Sea sleeve had extra sticky glue which stuck to the front and ended up pulling off a small bit of the paper cover

Resealable airtight plastic bags for digipaks/cardboard sleeves/mini LPs
I could go full autism and put my jewel cases in them too
Everything in a CD/DVD/Blu-ray cabinet

I do buy CDs once in a while, only if it's something I can't easily find anywhere else digitally. Also if it's Japanese, that shit is gold

the one that came preinstalled with my laptop. i intend to get a better one though.
50/50
Probably NIN - And all that could have been deluxe or the we're in this together singles
Lost Highway soundtrack, Further Down The Spiral, and 808s and heartbreak
i put them in a drawer

Bump

>tfw CD is already considered vintage

recent purchases:

Current 93 - Dogs Blood Rising; Thunder Perfect Mind
Neil Young - Original Release Series Discs 5-8 (Time Fades Away; On the Beach; Tonight's the Night; Zuma)

Why the fuck would you collect CDs? No seriously. They will be gone in 10-20 years while my 50s vinyl records will still be in perfect condition.

I own cds released in the 80s that look brand new and play perfectly.
Enjoy your hisses, crackles and pops

I got some cds

i just sold my entire cd collection for 190$ and spent it all on records

Hope your gone 10-20 years from now.

>Some shitty old drive idk it does the job
>Always new
>Vickeblanka - Fearless + DVD edition, or Kasper - Pehmeä aika (he made 50 of them to sell on tour, I contacted him on Facebook and he sent me one from Helsinki to the UK)
>Actress - AZD, Fatima Al Qadiri - Brute, Charlotte Dos Santos - Cleo, Sean Nicholas Savage - Magnificent Fist, NÍDIA - Nídia é Má, Nídia é Fudida, Perera Elsewhere - Everlast
>picture attatched

gonna invest in sleeves for my digipaks soon, although I treat them so carefully anyway

so I hooked up my Bluray player with an optical cable instead of using my old 5 disc technics with the L/R outputs, I need to put more time into it, but it should be better in the long run i think

It has been around for quite a while now, desu

sounds good man
now I just need a vinyl copy of Dream Loss for a reasonable price (already managed to track down Alien Observer)

They won't be gone in 10 to 20 years. They're made from stable materials. CD -Rs will decompose because they're made using dyes and not etched metals.
See

I want to get into collecting CDs
Is there anything I should watch out for?

Never buy a used CD if you can't get a look at both sides, most people have no idea how to grade a CD or just don't care about how to do it properly.

What's your holy grail CD?

I'm interested in rather new CDs for some reason.
Are there any special shops or tricks to get them cheaper or should you get everything used with the thing you mentioned?

fuck now you've gone and reminded me about all the perfect FLAC CDs of chants on what that were lost forever

Not really a holy grail, but I really want a copy of the Southern Lord CD of Akuma no Uta by Boris, but its been out of print for ages and I don't like the idea of paying some schmuck way too much money for it on discogs or the like.

Nobody really gives a damn about CDs generally, you can find tons of good shit for cheap at record stores. Everyone wants vinyl and cassettes now. I wouldn't use Discogs to buy CDs because people there know the value of what they're selling, only use it if you can't find the stuff you want elsewhere.
I also recommend trying to find CDs from the late 80s/early 90s over modern issues, generally new remasters are brickwalled to hell.

there's one on sale for $20 on discogs
discogs.com/Warda-Yalcin-Avec-La-Participation-D-Esther-Lamandier-Vie-De-Jésus-Chants-De-LEglise-DOrient-En-Ara/release/9887617

That's funny, there wasn't one there yesterday.

if you do buy it please rip and upload it, love me some chants

I might very well, it's an especially interesting release because it's rare Chaldean music.

1) its my stereo system (from 2000), Phillips 560C

2) I do a mix of both, but I don't feel like spending above 10 bucks most of the time

3) probably my Sturgill Simpson-Sailor's Guide

4) Sturgill one

5)Just keep them in their digipaks

gatefold, vinyl like digipaks are the best thing that's happened to CD's.

Well I hope you got it because it's gone now. It says last sold: never though so I don't know.

That was me, yes.

Nice, I'll keep an eye out for that zip

>Cherubs - Heroin Man
Just found this in a 99 cent bin at a used record store in town and bought it on a whim. What a great album. Apparently got a hell of a deal on it too by looking on discogs.

Where did you get those shelves? I need something like that for my stuff.

Been working on my Boris collection for a while.

Recent pickups

They were on Target's website. I don't remember the exact name of them unfortunately. They were each a little over 100

CD is true mater race! Fucking shitty vinyls and there ear raping sound quality, and let's see where people's iTunes folder is when there pc or phone has shit the bed!

I ordered the new albums from Open Mike Eagle, CunninLynguists, billy woods and P.O.S. from UGHH.

Nice. Thanks man.

Patricians.

Bump

Bump

I regret that I spent a lot of money on iTunes a few years ago, I can't find that shit anymore, it's like I never owned them all along..

>CD player
Don't have a dedicated one, I rip them to flac which is quite comfy
>New or used
New most of the time, if I want cheap music I pirate, so no need for that
>Most valuable CD
A couple no name artists that you can't find anywhere on the internet, some of them even burned and signed them themselves
>recent purchase
No name german Rap pre order and some of my favorite metal albums I've always wanted as a CD
>Storing
Shelves and cupboards, nothing unusual

A great reason to collect CDs is for alternative masterings like the pre remastered versions of This Heat's albums.
If you have never heard the older version of Deceit you're really missing out...
It's hard as balls to find digitally in a lossless format too.

Also many artists seem to upload very low quality versions of their songs to streaming services and such. Especially with lesser known artists your best bet is CD

I want to burn my own CDs in professional CD quality with tags intact.
Does anyone have experiences with this?
Normally, when I burn CDs to play in CD players, the tags are no longer intact.

if Idiot Flesh doesn't re-release Fancy at some point I may end up doing something like that in order to have a copy

either one of these, probably, just due to their disgusting rarity

discogs.com/Idiot-Flesh-Fancy/master/626715

discogs.com/Eric-Friesen-Friesenberg-Concertos/release/4638821

I actually got one dude to sell me his other Eric Friesen CD but not the one there, unfortunately.

I'm so mad my copy of Feedbacker doesn't have the OBI. I got it used for like 6 bucks so I can't complain, but still.

OBIs are my fucking fetish.

I'm only missing a few Boris CDs at this point, and mostly the Japanese only live stuff. I'm kinda upset the CD version of Vein is so heavily edited down.

OBI strips are pretty. I always love seeing them on CDs