Boardwalk Empire General

What would the show have been like if Jimmy didn't die?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10665251
youtu.be/UDAMzu5z9cU
youtube.com/watch?v=a0cM8EnKYKA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good

Season Rankings:
Season 2
Season 3
Season 1
Season 5
Season 4

jimmy was bad on her mum at the end that she forced him into incest when he was young?

also

dat grechen mol

dayummm

i've no problem with Jimmy's demise. my issue is with the actor Winter & Co. chose to portray Lucky Luciano. that guy was abysmal. such a pivotal character in the development of the series and they get a guy with no range, nada. baka. plenty of bad decision-making in the last few seasons, not to mention Bobby Cannavale's over the top performance and not depicting Rothstein's death and the underwhelming development of the Nelson Van Alden character.

S1
S2
S3
S4
S5

It's unfortunate, but it's the truth

Bobby made season 3 worthwhile.

But then they fucked it up again afterwards of course
>Eli spends all season 3 gaining back his brother's trust, becomes the only person he CAN trust
>Immediately betrays him again for the FBI a few eps into next season.

I doubt Gillian and Richard would be nearly as developed as they were. Margaret as well, probably

>tfw we could have had Christina Hendricks playing Gillian instead
>tfw those lovely jugs on the big screen

They really should have made a spin off series about Eli & Van Alden working for Capone.

Boardwalk Empire was a series of interesting set ups followed by the spoiling of those setups.

jimmy needed to die, but the show should have ended after that.

Did she actually audition?

I honestly do not remember much of that season other than the party in the first episode and Cannavale's over the top performance, which was too cartoon villain for my taste. especially in a show that attempts to portray the intricacies and nuances of organized crime life.

i always dug Eli, but, yeah, his yoyoing around was weak.

WHAT BOARDWALK EMPIRE NEEDED THAT IT DIDN'T GET

>Any type of coverage of what happened in the seven years between 4 & 5
Seriously, Eli and Van Alden not being in the St. Valentines Massacre was a huge sin. Hell, not showing the Massacre was such a missed opportunity. On top of that, it would be so easy to show Rothstein's death, considering how poetic it is. Any first year film major could have written it.

I agree. I liked Eli too which is why it was so irritating seeing him have interesting set ups only to be ruined by "Wah muh brother helped muh kid out of jail" and the whole retarded thing with him drunkenly cucking van alden for no reason in the last season.

I guess I was ok with Bobby because I felt let down by so much of everything else on season 3. They focused on Margaret's wanting to run off with Ben Hur 2.0 too much.

This.

5 is better than 4

>no rothstein at all in season 5
>rehashing old Nucky-Gillian shit because Winter completely gave up on this show after season 2

great job with Vinyl, Winter

>All the flashbacks in season 5 are things we already know with extra padding
Uhhhhhhh boardwalktards?

>great job with Vinyl, Winter
Vinyl should have been better than it ended up being, with all the money and talent behind it.

>rothsteins death not shown
>nucky for some fucking reason dies at the end
>random mickey death out of nowhere
>chaulky death was weird
>season 5 spent explaining how nucky gave women to big man, even though we already fucking knew it
season 5 just felt rushed and like they needed to get things done with

best individual acted show of all time though in my opinion, mostly everyone plays their role amazingly

>sets up rothstein to be margarets tea buddy
>he dies off screen

Get your head checked. The flashbacks were warranted but there were too many of them.

chucky's entire plot after season 3 was retarded

can someone explain to me why steve buscemi was making out with all these qts in this show? who wants to see that?

he worked great as a supporting role, but there just isn't enough interesting info to go off of. large chunks of seasons were spent wrapped around him and the priest guy and the girl.

the priest dude was somewhat interesting but just overall fucking dull compared the Guy.

best girl was the show girl

>mostly everyone plays their role amazingly
everyone but the guy they got to play Lucky Luciano, in my opinion. Winter did that character a great disservice hiring a one-not actor. that guy didn't convince me he would become the father of organized crime in the early seasons nor in the final one.

this holy shit.
>Rothstein, who has been set up to be the best gambler in the country loses a game
>refuses to pay because the game was rigged
>the guy he didnt pay comes and shoots him
That shit writes itself

funny you should say that, after i finished the series i kept reading about how everyone loved his portrayal. i think he did it well in the early seasons, i think in the last season distancing himself aware from Meyer a bit to develop more would have been better but thats just my view

>Rothstein's death
yeah, epic misfire there. they could at least have had an opening sequence in the first episode dealing with that, a montage or something, since it was seminal in mobster lore, poetic justice, too. Winter ever explain his reasoning behind not showing it?

I just think he didn't get nearly enough time. Considering how important Luciano is to the plot of 4&5, Winter fucked up hard by giving him so little screen time. I think Meyer showed up more in 4 than Luciano did

never brought it up

i went into the show blind, and when they said in S5E1 that he died i thought it was a joke, until they mentioned it a few more times later on in the episode

really weird to have a main character die so weirdly, iirc the years of season 4 to 5 jumped by more than 1 so maybe there was just no real way to show it? fuck if i know

could be a personal thing/bias/preference. i just didn't find the actor convincing in the role, there was no gravitas there. another thing Winter missed was Lucky's disfigurement. that could have been an amazing sequence. i think it was only mentioned in passing. it just boggles my mind how an era with such storytelling potential was mishandled in the final season. that's just me, though.

It's a 7 year jump, we missed so much important shit in that time. Rothstein dying, St. Valentines Day Massacre, etc.

probably because the authors knew they only had one season? they needed to wrap up nucky in their own little way, cant have time jump in the middle of a season

This. 5 was by far the worst season.

>tfw based Owen dies

You ain't wrong, buddy.

am i the only one who started off hating owen then liking him? i thought he was a plant or something and would turn on nucky

poor guy

I just started watching the show and now I know Jimmy dies.

Fucking great. His character sucks and I look forward to watching him be a little bitch about his death.

Why did she and Michael Pitt have to fuck everything up?

man why are you in this thread if you just started watching, unless you already know the historical details

>my face when a jimmyfag is near me

>mfw Jimmybros won

>it's a "Paz shows up in Louis Theroux's documentary for no reason" episode

Basically the show nosedived after Jimmy's death. I wouldn't recommend watching anything past season 2. Also Gillian """"plot""""" dragged on way too long. She should have been killed off.

>we want the breaking bad audience
>want the dexter audience
>we want Sup Forums to watch our show

Years later Jimmyfags are still this fucking retarded.

I wanna see that scene

Do you guys think Jimmy Darmody was a police informer in this show?

strawpoll.me/10665251

Everyone knows Van Alden was the best character, I don't even think jimmyfags dispute it.

youtu.be/UDAMzu5z9cU

youtube.com/watch?v=a0cM8EnKYKA

>"Everything is gonna work out fine"
>proceeds to shoot himself

I don't get it. If everything was gonna work out fine then why shoot yourself?

kill yourselves jimmyfags

>tfw the guy from officespace took twelve(12) episodes to get Gillian to spill the beans
>tfw all the shit he did and time he wasted
what the fuck why. half of that shit was unnecessary

Why would anyone think that

i met her at a beach club in Miami about, damn, two years ago now. one of my friends pointed her out. i was shocked at how she let herself go. not tight at all. i remembered her from Boardwalk and she was hot in it. this lady was a mess. she wasn't wasted, but she was on her way there.

it was worth it because in the end junior had to hide inside a closet so he can emerge when she's done for.

>laser beams

tell that to the poll please

I quit it midway through S3, I was a bit of a jimmyfag but his character had potential, buscemi's character didn't. He's not a good enough actor to carry such a boring joyless character.

Show is massively overrated. Terence Winter is a dinosaur with dinosaur sensibilities. He is clearly a student of the Stern Strong Masculine main character community college. Their stories are boring and I think as a society we've kinda passed those characters. We've moved onto anti-heros and less masculine or much more broken leads. That simple stuff is almost cartoonish at this point.

IMAGINE being user

Hopefully this is bait.

Good series. Season five was rushed, but atleast we got an ending. Not all series gets one.

;_;

I'm a bit high but realize I come across as a total "nu-male" or whatever. No it's not bait.

The lead in Vinyl was so shit too.

Because, if you've seen the Sopranos, you know that Terrance Winter is a hack and he has this tendency to write scenes that follow this general flow

Set up Scene --> Have character act contrary to what the audience expected --> have them do it anyways

In this case it would be "Expect him to freak" --> "Oh look its going to be alright" ---> LMAO SO EDGY SUICIDE WHAT A TWEEST

tldr: Fuck Terrance Winter and his awful ideas.

Jesus man. I guess kill yourself.

I thought it was a reference to the stories about all those Wall Street brokers throwing themselves from the tops of skyscrapers on Black Tuesday at the start of the Great Depression

The poster is a cuck, but he does have a point. Nucky Thompson himself was probably the least interesting character on the show and his drama with Margaret was equally as boring. In the Sopranos it worked because Tony was a much more vibrant, interesting character. Buscemi's acting wasn't bad, but it couldn't carry the blandness.

Yeah, those kinds of things did happen. I'm not against the suicide itself, just the flow of the scene because it is lazy and manipulative.

I'm really not a cuck or whatever. If anything I'm much closer to alt-right than not.

tony soprano is a great character but he's also an antihero (chase was even saying, no one should be rooting for this guy), but the leads in the other shows sucked at being vulnerable and rarely lost the narrative's support.

You're even a bigger cuck than him.

Nucky is what drives the whole show. It's sad how plebs think the show sucked because of jimmy's death but the true reason is Nucky as a character became shit when he stopped being king of AC. The show could've been good even without Jimmy if they didn't fuck Nucky's character.

And this is why S1 is the best season. There's no point in arguing. Had this argument a million times over the years here and I won them all. I'm objectively 10000000% right.

Luciano needed waaaaaaaaaay more screen time in the last two seasons. Meyer and Bugsy as well.

>And this is why S1 is the best season. There's no point in arguing. Had this argument a million times over the years here and I won them all. I'm objectively 10000000% right.

You probably thought the Cuba plotline was the greatest thing in the world, too.

>Nucky Thompson himself was probably the least interesting character on the show and his drama with Margaret was equally as boring

This. He ended up getting outshone by almost every other major character (Jimmy, Capone, Van Alden, fuck even Eli etc)

>dayummm
shut the fuck up nigger

What? Why would you say that? I already said I think the show went to shit after S2 so obviously I'm not a fan of the majority of plots that came afterward.

>Capones ending
The one thing season 5 did right. Almost started crying

Yeah, it did nosedive in quality once the political angle died off, and Nucky become "City treasurer that moonlights as a bootlegger" to "Bootlegger that is inexplicably a major political figure"

>why am I not considered 10000000% right, you may ask.

Nucky went from*

i teared up, fuck it. even if they say gangsters have illusions where they think they're doing it for themselves and not their families, that scene is still one of the best

This episode was beautifully shot.

>Agent Knox getting BTFO by Eli

Think that was the high point of seasons 4/5 2bh

Reminds me of another Terrance Winter trope:

>>minor characters gets major development
>they die

Season 5, though depressing beyond belief, was excellent once you understand that the whole point was to make it in a Fatalistic style, a popular storytelling style in the 1930s. Think Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, etc. In sum, Fatalism is this highly pessimistic view where having attachments to other people or things is pointless, because you will eventually in some way lose them all.

Also, imo, Nucky as a boy not getting the underwater coin in the beginning of the season, and then flashing back showing him as a boy getting the coin right after being murdered was 10/10 genius.

I dropped it after season 3. Did I make the right move, lads? It just didn't feel that great anymore.

Yeah. S4 was cancer.

Jimmy's death was well done, and the only end that made sense for his storyline, saying this as a jimmyfag even. Problem is S3 felt weak as fuck, I don't know why the fuck they tried to introduce a "le quirky insane mob boss" that's also only killed at the end of the season, it went against everything the show was supposed to be.

Also, Harrow, I liked his character but he should have died way before he did, maybe at the end of S3. I think they realized this and brought him back to make up for their mistake.

I think we agree on all the same points of the show. The only difference with me was I felt that season 3 was fine, but I absolutely understand what you were saying about it.