African-americans invented blues, jazz, rock, hip-hop and techno

>african-americans invented blues, jazz, rock, hip-hop and techno

why are black people so naturally gifted at music?

and techno?

sauce

???

google "the belleville three"

WE

music genres aren't "invented"

Detroit Techno

I can certainly agree with jazz and blues.
But, as for ambient, post-rock, drone, modern classical and avant-garde, they're not as dominant.

Thank you for posting something in Sup Forums that i can relate to.

pic related: one of the few good white jazz musicians.

African music was thousands of years removed from traditional European music.

they were though

Centuries of forced labour gets the creative juices flowing I guess.

I want to be black
Have natural rhythm
Shoot twenty feet of jism, too
And fuck up the Jews

I want to be black
I want to be a Panther
Have a girlfriend named Samantha
And have a stable of foxy whores
Oh I want to be black

[Chorus:]
I don't want to be a fucked up, middle class,
College student anymore
I just want to have a stable of foxy little whores
Yeah, yeah I want to be black

I want to be black
I want to be like Martin Luther King
And get myself shot in spring
And lead a whole generation too
And fuck up the Jews

I want to be black, I want to be like Malcolm X
And cast a hex over President Kennedy's tomb
And have a big prick, too

[Chorus]

Because the suffering that came from slavery, removal of ethnic identity, and institutionalized racism invoked feelings that inspired creativity the likes of which humanity has never before seen.

When your entire life is given to another person as property, god is the only thing you can really rely on. And whether or not you believe in such a thing, the feelings that come from it are inherently human and would exist even if the relationship between white and black were reversed.

I know that probably sounds like liberal cuckery, but I think the music that has stemmed from the black community has allowed people to better articulate a more human form of expression, and I think that transcends any kind of agenda

When was the idea of race first introduced in music? Did people view blues and jazz as being distinctly different from folk and waltz like 120 years ago or something?

rhythm is in their bones

lol

there was no music 120 years ago

yeah, ol' Jonathan Jazz just strolled into town one day and started playin' the piano in a funny way

Music started in 1910, it's not 120 years old

what is the instrument of africa? this gives you the answer of why they are masters of rhythm: the drum

>naturally gifted at music
There are not """"""""""""""""""""naturally gifted at music"""""""""""""""""""". Nobody actually is. They practiced and toiled really hard to get where they are.

no retard they're invented the same way anything else is invented. People took aspects of shit they experienced and developed something new out of it.
Jimmie Rogers took the two beat structure of African-American blues and combined traditional European instruments to literally make the country music we hear today.

That's bullshit.

nigga there aint no rhythm gene. it's simply the culture in the black community

black people are poor
poor people are more willing to try hard, plus are less likely to have higher education granting them access to easier careers

>poor people are more willing to try hard
is that what poor people tell themselves?

None of those genres were developed in a vacuum. They all came about as the result of two distinct musical cultures coming together.

Jazz came about due to the mixing of African, Latin, blues, and European music styles by negro and creole musicians in New Orleans at around the start of the 20th century.

Black music is more simplistic where white music has always strived for complexity.

>white music has always strived for complexity.

Not since the 19th century

it's true, it's why all the best white jazz players are from east bloc shitholes. all the best folk music is by poor people: gypsies, blacks, irishmen. when white suburbanites try to make folk music you get shit like talking heads or lawrence welk

Because they have a lot of time on their hands from being unemployed and deadbeat parents.

historically

white music has achieved greater complexity but composers like bach have been the exception, not the norm

yeah but black music tends to be far less complex, even their most complex music is not as complex as what whites have done. Infact Jazz, arguably the most complex form of black music, didn't get that complex until it began to borrow from classical and white music.

black pop music tends to be pretty complex desu, r&b is much more sophisticated than whatever that soft rock dreck that whites put on the radio is called. and jazz was revolutionary in terms of rhythms. complaining about borrowing from earlier white composers is a canard: every single white composer in history borrowed from previous white composers

20th century classical isn't complex?

>blues
partially, but their melodic aesthetic was influenced by irish and european settlers - the US was a melting pot and since traditional african music wasn't allowed, they heard and internalized the many many other musics around them.
>jazz
no - mostly European immigrants in the US.
>rock
no, white US guys
>hip-hop
sure why not
>techno
no, white European guys

user has no idea what he's talking about and has probably never heard Ferneyhough

as long as we're bullshitting, in all likelihood the first man to ever sing a note of music was black

>black pop music tends to be pretty complex desu
hip-hop -- by far the most popular genre of black music -- is basically the antithesis of complexity. r and b is sophisticated at times, I agree, but comparing it to "soft rock dreck" doesn't seem genuine.

>jazz was revolutionary in terms of rhythms
all the jazz rhythms already existed somewhere else. the revolutionary aspect of jazz lies in the improvisation within the band structure, something taken to limits never pushed before

pretty much, we all have african/middle eastern descent and music is not owned or invented by any one modern race.

>all the jazz rhythms already existed somewhere else
african rhythms are fundamentally different from the western conception. african music views polyrhythm as a single gestalt. it's not 3 against 2, it's 3 AND 2. swing rhythms in general were much more primitive pre-jazz.
>comparing it to "soft rock dreck" doesn't seem genuine
e.g. Imagine Dragons. the comparison stems from what modern white pop audiences listen to vs black pop audiences
>hip-hop -- by far the most popular genre of black music -- is basically the antithesis of complexity.
hip-hop is quite sophisticated in terms of rhythm and lyrical meter.

that or he's doesn't have a working knowledge or theory.

I think you missed my point. Historically, white music has been more complex than black music. R&B doesn't hold it's salt when compared to serialism or other modern classical music. I wasn't insulting jazz in anyway, I'm just saying it wasn't as complex as it would get until it borrowed heavily form white music.

also I love jazz so I don't want you to think I'm hating. I was just pointing something out I've noticed

> those genres are all shit
Really tickles the dendrites

>african
Time to update your memes, libshit

>A) black music tends to be far less complex
>B) even their most complex music is not as complex as what whites have done
these are different statements. B does not imply A. I argued against A. You replied by reasserting B.

Yeah, I probably should have worded that differently. And the way I said it is incorrect, for point A. but the point I was trying to get across was B. My goof

it's cool
if white people and black people were to switch places in history, would black high society be retarded enough to come up with serialism? God only knows

The rhythms were already explored to exhaustion. The tresillo and backbeat (habanera) was very popular in Cuba throughout the 19th century and caught the attention of western composers who also used it in a traditional setting. Like I said, the inovation lies in the live performance and improvisation - that's where things like swing shone for jazz

>hip-hop is quite sophisticated in terms of rhythm and lyrical meter.
No, it isn't. Mainstream hip-hop is very simple and formulaic

I personally dig serialism if done right, but I can see why people think it's retarded. And yeah, it'd be interest to hear about Black Privilege too if out places were switched. Would there be white lives matter?

Africans used to communicate over long distances using drums, this was far easier and safer than travelling the dangerous fields of Africa. They have evolved to be a very rhythmic people. Rhythm is always called something else in different genres (swing, funk, beats, etc.) but the key focus of the music remains the same. You'll notice in European music that there is a far lesser focus of rhythm, specifically timpani, it's still there but doesn't take as much of a staring role as in black African music.

>afro-cuban music influenced western composers in the 19th century therefore jazz introduced no new rhythmic concepts
>no TRUE hip-hop
cool story bro
a lot of serialism is great music but the process is retarded. It has nothing to do with how people hear music. Even the process of inversion is completely unnatural to the ear.

I mean I get what your saying, but it gives that effect that is unnatural and uncomfortable to hear or off putting to most ears. I want to be a composer for film and just in general, but that's perfect to use for a scene or to evoke a reaction if done correctly. It can add tension or add to the confusion of something. But I get what your saying. Just like how avoiding parallels will give you a feel of the common practice period and so on.

>afro-cuban music influenced western composers in the 19th century therefore jazz introduced no new rhythmic concepts
I don't think I made myself clear. These rhythms were already explored both by Cuban music, americans (ragtime and others) AND western composers. You probably know about the influence the habanera has on proto-jazz and early jazz.

>no TRUE hip-hop
Popular hip-hop acts are, in their vast majority, not producing complex music at all. I don't know how you could deny this with a straight face

He's right, most hip hop on the radio is either mumble rap or triplets which may be hard to rap for some people, but regardless of difficult repeating the same thing over and over isn't complexity. It'd be complex to change up the flow.from like triplet to duple to like triple to (fuck I'm drawing a blank but what they used to do to elongate the numes) back to triplet or something.

he's not entirely wrong about jazz paul whiteman was labeled the king of jazz in the formative years of the genre, you had players like bix biederbecke, mugsy spainer, and Fletcher Henderson.

these men were contemporaries of Louis Armstrong, and pioneered the genre.

even going back jazz's rhythms only came from Africa, all the melody's have roots in Europe.

The flat 7 which jazz is based on came from europe, every single instrument except the banjo was a European instrument.

without the influence of white melodies jazz would never have been formed because it is a hybrid of the two.

thats why you dont see Africans playing jazz, or Europeans.

its an american genre, and could only have been formed in america

Actually that's untrue, Europeans and Africans' both play jazz since it's inception. They also have fused it with other genres. But look up European Jazz and Afrobeat.

fair enough. I suspect that the emotional effects of serialism can be achieved through other approaches though

Who is bill Evans. What about joe pass? Joe morello? Chet baker is cool but I hated his lyrics. They are all excessively cheesy love songs.

You are right though. All of the best jazz musicians are black: Grant green, Miles, Coltrane, Montgomery, Ella, Oscar Peterson, etc.

Deadbeat musicians have no jobs, a few make it and now everyone calls them geniuses because it was from the time where everything was in black and white, and it's 2017 you must admit that every black achievement was groundbreaking far beyond our comprehension

>*Blocks your path*

And white people invented all the tools they used to make that music.

HA

white people didn't invent the tools, the earth did

checkmate dumbass

>it’s another Sup Forums bait thread in Sup Forums

Shit like this is killing this board

because they all had to sing in choir or play in church bands. thats literally it, you fucking pasties

Jamaicans invented rap. It was a Jamaican, DJ Cool Herc, who introduced it to the U.S..

I lmao @ u stop talking