Thoughts on the TV channel made for kino?

Thoughts on the TV channel made for kino?

all things being equal, the most watchable basic cable channel

anyone got a livestream?

>tfw Robert Osborne will die in a few years at most

They're showing Lady Snowblood movies tonight

>Mankiewicz will take over
>starts a TYT segment and adds commercials
Just kill me now

Jaws is playing right now. I'm surprised I never hear about it on Sup Forums with all the patricians we have and all.

Sucks, man. I grew up with TCM and Robbie O was like the genial grandfather I never had. I'm going to miss the fuck out of that guy.

Mankiewicz is alright. I mean, he's deeply connected to the history of the business and has a decent understanding of it, but his demeanor leaves a lot to be desired after how great Robert was for so long.

Thank fuck for TCM, though. I'd probably be watching shit like "Dirty Grandpa" and loving it if I hadn't been raised on the classics.

I fell asleep during a movie that was supposed to be about a war and a loli. It started off in a little house and some soldiers were going to spend the night. ?

>Jaws is playing
>Will soon feature some of the Universal monster movies

Is there a better channel out there?

once again requesting livestream of TCM

get off you lazy asses faggits and entertain me

I always feel sad I discovered TCM so late, I missed out on so much. You must have incredible taste if you grew up with it.

Saturday and Sunday nights are the best

they've been showing a lot of japanese cult movies on Sundays this month... finally got to see House a couple weeks ago and then they showed Goke the Body Snatcher last week

I think there's another one tomorrow night after The Phantom Carriage

I'm really waiting for AT&T to decide it'd be much better off with commercials and showing "modern classics" (i.e. 5-15 year old movies) outside of Oscar season while phasing out all of the really old and niche movies.

i love it but i always miss the good movies.

Literally the only good cable channel.

>I think there's another one tomorrow night after The Phantom Carriage
it's korean not japanese i think.

Tonight is Lady Snowblood 1&2 so make sure you check those out. A Page of Madness was on before Goke and I thought it was incredible. Nothing else Japanese is coming out this month but there's The Housemaid like you said but it's Korean.

If all else fails I believe they'll at least stay loyal to Film Struck.

Man we really need a TCM General. It'll be like a 24/7 film club.

generals are cancer newfag

just put up a thread about specific items as needed. anything else degenerates into pure faggotry

is snowblood 2 any good?

Maybe if you watched good shit you wouldn't feel so left out

This isn't Sup Forums

I thought it was very middling but I'd say it's an essential watch if you're a fan of the first.

>it's an essential watch if you're a fan of the first.
alright i'll record it and watch it in the morning

Not better, but El Rey has some pretty cool movies and kino. The from dusk till dawn series is pretty cool as well,they also show old shows like miami vice

el rey has a ton of schlock though

>El Rey
>TCM levels of kino
Go to bed Robert

Its a big part of why I still subscribe to cable. Close to a third of the films I watch are from TCM. Its great.

>Its a big part of why I still subscribe to cable
is there any other reason?

Comcast are the worst for making this god tier channel ridiculously expensive. I'll probably never get TCM. At least filmstruck is coming soon, but I like watching commercial free live TV more. Choosing what to watch can get overwhelming

I'm a football fan, so I enjoy watching Green Bay Packer games. HBO is good too.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Filmstruck yet. TCM and Criterion are making their own streaming service with a ton of classic movies with curated lists and themes and special features, and all 1200 Criterion films also with special features.it comes out next month, my hype level could not be higher.

US only i guess?

Not sure, Google that shit. I think it's 6.99 or 7.99 usd for the regular service and 11.99 for the regular service plus criterion, but that's all criterion films. So a pretty fucking good deal imo. And it's supposed to have like special Friday night double features and be set up like a more curated experience overall.

>They're showing Lady Snowblood movies tonight

excellent, they've been shownig lots of jap movies this month

yeah except they won't have the TCM library which was the only reason I ever got excited, Filmstruck can go fuck itself

>Man we really need a TCM General. It'll be like a 24/7 film club.
I tried that once. Barely response. Feel free to try again.

The tcm library is pretty limited because it's just the stuff turner owns, so far it looks like the filmstruck library is more expansive, lot more classics and not so many obscure mediocre musicals nobody gives a shit about.

TCM is the only thing I ever end up watching on TV beyond cooking shows with my parents or sportsball related stuff. The fact that more people don't talk about the channel is an indictment of the tastes of the people who frequent this board.

Cary Grant comedies are some of the funniest stuff I've watched.

Hm? I heard it will just be a hundred or so rotating films and won't really be focusing on Hollywood classics which are my primary interest

If it turns out be like TCM but better then I I'll probably subscribe

I've already preordered this. Hyped that there's finally going to be a decent quality release.

Not that guy, but there are a lot of classic Hollywood films on Criterion as it is.

I love it. I never miss Silent Sunday Nights.
Just saw Jaws and it was introduced by Ron Pearlman. I hope Osborne comes back.

Where did you hear that? They said it would have more Criterions than Hulu and I think Hulu has around 600.

500 and classics ARE the focus. Not just Hollywood, Arthouse and foreign film as well.

I watch films on the app like 2-3 times a week, it's terrific. Great channel.

They have some great films in their collection but unfortunately Golden Age Hollywood only makes up a small fraction of their library

There are so many Hollywood movies that desperately deserve a Criterion release it isn't even funny

>I love it. I never miss Silent Sunday Nights.
>tfw i used to do this with my grandfather till he died

The only other channel I really watch is Hannity on Fox.

Yeah I think they rotate the hosts depending on genre. Keith Carradine was around for all the Westerns and Sally Field spoke with Robert Osbourne about classic Hollywood and New Hollywood.

Yes, Filmstruck sounds great but as mentioned, doesnt sound like the TCM classics will be included

The last thread I saw about Filmstruck, with a link to a press release stating there would be little to no overlap with what you might see on TCM, and that a lot of the films would be Euro and Asian movies and indie films

Honestly I just want TCM but as a streaming service independent of cable/satellite and Filmstruck sounds completely different at this point

It's a shame, but I'm still hyped for Filmstruck. I wonder if eventually they'll branch into patrician original programming and put Netflix to shame.

>Honestly I just want TCM but as a streaming service independent of cable/satellite
HBO did it so hopefully TCM will as well

True. Those also seem to be the hardest to find on streaming services, since I assume none of their owning studios want to lease them when they know people will want to buy physical copies. Netflix occasionally has few good ones. Some Hawks movies pop up there from time to time.

I don't know what you all are talking about.
I guess I am supposed to like it but I never did.
The TCM I got has low picture quality. It's pixelated or laggy. And I never saw anything Asian on it. No Japanese.

And I don't like old movies that much. It's like maybe once a few weeks I would feel ready for some history lessons. But whenever I felt ready for it it was always on commercials or between movies.

Maybe we are not talking about the same channel, or that there is something wrong with my subscription plan. But the TCM I saw was never that good.

>I wonder if eventually they'll branch into patrician original programming and put Netflix to shame.
original programming is why netflixs catalog is so shitty

They could pick up Whit Stillman amazon show.

>pretty limited because it's just the stuff turner owns

That's a lot of fucking stuff. The entire pre-1950 Warner library and the entire MGM library up to the 80s, as well as some other stuff.

Filmstruck is supposed to be curated, right? I guarantee you they'll have Fred Astaire! Musicals! Vaudeville! Greta Garbo! themes and stuff like that.

My favorite of his. I recommend it to everyone I know.

They were showing 60s Japanese Sci-Fi horror movies the other day, so its pretty great

What's the cutoff date for movies that can be featured on TCM? I'm assuming nothing after 1980?

Are you American? American TCM is great but I've seen some of the schedules for the foreign ones and they aren't that good.

Not sure what you mean with the quality, maybe a service provider issue? Asian cinema isn't that impressive outside of a few obvious films in comparison to its european/American counterparts and tcm mainly focuses on classic American cinema. They only show any kind of commercials in between films, films are unedited and commercial free.

It sounds like you aren't a fan of older films to begin with so it probably was never for you.

They've shown No Country for Old Men before.

They've shown This is Spinal Tap before. I don't think there's a cut off date.

>I'm assuming nothing after 1980?
it's later than 80 jaws 3d is on tonight and that's 83 maybe it's 85.

Lotr was there during Oscar month.

They're still on the app. Also criterion versions are in Hulu. Goke the body snatcher from hell and the x from outer space.

They've shown the LOTR trilogy

bumping for this. TCM is GOAT, Sup Forums should be live streaming this regularly.

Oh, and also Ron Burgundy Anchorman was on last month.

fellowship a few weeks ago

Oh well, never mind I guess. Didn't see that post until after I just posted this My thinking was that if TCM were going to start their own streaming service, it would only make sense to populate it with the stuff they own. That makes it sound like it's going to be a bigger mubi. They'll still be padding out with more typical TCM fare, I suppose.

Either way, it'll probably still be a good service.

I just hope they'll include Euro-cult and midnight movies and things along those lines, like a TCM Underground category.

>Some Hawks movies pop up there from time to time.
I can't believe they haven't done Bringing Up Baby yet, it's his magnum opus and should have gotten a blu-ray release a decade ago

I would give up a kidney to see added to the Criterion Collection

There's no cutoff date, only a matter of emphasis

That was in conjunction with this class. I tried to get people to join up and we could talk about it here, but I don't think anybody was interested. I really enjoyed it.

Is Australian TCM different? I never see any Japanese horror movies coming up, or anything foreign.. The channel feels a bit bland to me. They don't show enough silent stuff for my liking. But they did recently do The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse though, that was awesome.

Oh. That hurts to know. I feel like I'm missing out when I see these threads.

>Oh. That hurts to know.
regional restrictions are a bitch

A godsend, the hero we need but don't deserve. So much forgotten greatness on that channel

Maybe you should give it another watch. I honestly hated it the first time, as in I thought it was a 0/10 piece of shit. Then after seeing a ton of other screwball comedies I gave it another try, liked it a lot more. Even then I couldn't get it out of my head and watched it a third time and realized it was the greatest movie I had ever scene

There's no other movie I've changed my opinion of more than Bringing Up Baby, and it's my #1 favorite film. Weird how much an opinion can change with a new perspective

>Pic related is my favorite Cary Grant comedy.
time to add it to my list.

American TCM has silent Sunday nights, TCM imports, the essentials, monthly themes like slapstick comedies for example. I don't think the foreign ones have the special themes like that.

Soooo comfy. I love catching an unknown flick to settle in for the night.

Do you remember when ifc was good?

>TCM in October
>all of those classic horror and thriller films to record on DVR and marathon on Halloween night

Australian TCM feels very unloved. But then so do all of our big movie channels. The one that feels closest to caring is 'World Movies' who occasionally get themes running and show cool stuff, but 90% of their catalog is still unknown trash about sex-addicted whores. They at least showed all of Gaspar Noe's stuff recently.

This country is so shit at everything.

member when sundance used to be good and uncensored?

>Choosing what to watch can get overwhelming
This is how I feel. There are so many movies/documentaries I would probably never chose myself if I didn't happen to stumble upon them on live tv.

On Memorial Day they played things like Saving Private Ryan and Glory

>tfw I remember watching Nights of Cabiria on IFC
>tfw it's all hipster original creations now

>tfw running out of space

if I don't watch or delet something it will delete it for me

Member when AMC had no commercials?

Remember when AMC played classic movies?

I enjoy both TCM and El Rey.
>TCM is good classic kino
>El Rey is good for schlocky B-movies

Oooh I member!

just watch that shit nigger

Sundance is censored now?

for a while now yes

really backlogged tho, watched Boss Nigger that I recorded in september yesterday

How does Brit version compare. Is it free?

make a list categorized by how much you want to watch them

the lowest films on your list just delete them, and keep the list for when you can get around to them

Once you do you can just download them or wait until they re-appear

I didn't grow up on TCM or anything but lately I've gotten into it. I've been watching the Universal monster movies, Hammer Horror movies and obscure 60s-70s schlock that has Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Which 20s-70s horror obscurities do you recommend, Sup Forums? TCM are showing a ton this month.