Just bought a midi keyboard and already have VSTs and want to learn how to play...

Just bought a midi keyboard and already have VSTs and want to learn how to play. is there a definitive playlist/site to learn from?

Other urls found in this thread:

sweetwater.com/store/detail/NP32BK
sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX160BK
thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons
bulletproofmusician.com/does-mental-practice-work/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there might be, just google it. but i'd recommend just messing around with it and seeing what sounds you can come up with, and slowly learning from there what everything does.

Bump also wondering about this. Is there a source for where to begin with this type of shit? For a novice what would be advised steps with learning solo? Do you need to learn all the technicals like music theory and shit before you begin?

you'll earn lot of time by learning composition n stuff, so this would be the easy way

Just curious, what midi keyboard do you have? I have an Alexis q88 and although it's the cheapest option with all the octaves I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. Keyboard action is terrible.

> where to start?
I would get books by Microcosmos (it may be microkosmos or mikrokosmos, sorry, I'm on my cellphone) they're pretty good for begginers. Then, there's a book from Bach that he wrote for his wife, Ana Magdalena. That book has very beautiful music and it's for beginners.

Also, I would get a teacher. He would know what technique exercises you need but for the most it's just learning how to learn songs, read music sheets and he would give you scores that are appropriate for your level.

You can use the Internet to get stuff but please, have somebody watch you when you play things that are hard for you. That's where bad habits start to develop and they'll make progress slower.

anyone have thoughts on the M-Audio keystation 49 II or the Alesis V49?
they're both really cheap so i guess they would work as a first midi keyboard.

Not that poster but I picked up one of these from a thrift shop. How would it rate?

No, you don't need to know scales, modes, harmony or any or the circles to start playing nor composing. But I believe you need good technique. There are books for that.

It's more important to have patience and realize it's gonna take time. So much time you won't notice your progress after a couple of years. Also, most people have back pain, wrist pain or pain in fingers when playing. This is bad technique. It has nothing to do with your fingers not getting used to playing the keys.

As I said above, get a teacher so he'll guide you to what you need to learn so you can practice without "annoyances"

I mean I guess you can get that Bartok book the faggot above me mentioned but ultimately you should know scales and how to finger them properly and then learn about triads, 7th chords, extensions, modes, circle of 5th, and listen to music and play it back. Just fucking figure it out honestly. There are 6 year olds who play gospel music all by ear and slay it. If they can do it what the fuck is your excuse. Their hand wasn't held step by step. You use your ear. I hate Sup Forums people like you desu
"What's the book or video that shows me exactly what to play"
Your fucking ear

>you don't need to know scales or modes
>to compose
You're retarded
Yeah just play random notes without know how they relate to one another. That'll work out reeeeeaaallllyy well

4 octaves is kind of tiny. Mt first keyboard had 5 and after a while I couldn't play certain songs because some parts where to high or too low...

I don't know the action of the keys but good keyboard action is the most expensive thing on a keyboard. A new keyboard can cost 500 dollars and still have "bad" keyboard action.

Anyway, I started with a Casio M - some number and the action was pretty terrible but of you're motivated, you can play a couple of years while you're saving for a better one.

He can just start by playing the whites notes only and he takes C as the "main" note, he's playing C major. A would be playing a minor tonality. D a second mode. You don't need to know those things...

At first you need to know basic coordination, because it's difficult to compose something that you can't play. Specially if you can barely read sheet music, let alone write it...

The only thing he may missed is changing from one tonality to another but he's just starting.

>No, you don't need to know scales, modes, harmony or any or the circles to start playing nor composing.
misleading advice

technically true, but its also technically true that you could spell a German word without knowing German by just stringing random letters together until it works.

it will take you hours of trial-and-error to come up with something that a German-speaker [competent musician] could come up with in less than a seconds

Look. That analogy fails because Germans are not inventing new words just like he is not gonna invent new sounds. He has to worry things way more important than tonalities but that doesn't he can't wack the keys and come up with a melody.

Just getting enough coordination to play chords in the left hand and a melody in the right, is enough for him to be busy for a couple of months. Meanwhile, just hit the notes and see what you can come up with

I figure it's worth asking in this thread rather than wasting a thread spot.

What's a good keyboard to get for a beginner? What number of keys should I be looking for? I played guitar but I'm really bored of it because none of the music I listen to regularly now has it and I'm really burned out from guitar.

Realistically if he wants to have a chance to compete in the market, it's going to take a lot more than "just playing the white notes" and haphazardly stumbling by by playing in a major key center to get ideas flowing. Why learn an instrument half assed? There are so many people today who are younger and who will play circles around you. Why are you going to just dip your toe in and expect to make something out of it? It doesn't make sense the bar is set so high you have to know what the fuck is what if you want to even have a chance at not being a laughing stock at a local bar playing your shitty synth wave music with god awful production making $50 plus tips. Do you want to be an artist or not?

It depends, do you want a synthesizer, a stage piano, a digital piano, a workstation?? All of them depend on what are you gonna use it for? Then, set a budget. Finally, people can give you options

And after that, you have to go to stores and play the keyboards that you're interested in. Some people like soft keys (if you're playing organ sounds), some people prefer hard keys (for piano sounds), some people want everything in one keyboard, some people want something as similar as a piano, or maybe for gigs.

It's really complicated

what is your goal

Well, it's a "just got this thing, now what?" kind of advice. He's not supposed to follow it for 20 years. It's just for starting. That's why I always recommend teachers and not the internet.

He'll eventually need scales, of course. But right now, he needs to worry about more fundamental stuff, like basic rhythms and basic two hand coordination

Mostly just to learn how to play, get better at music theory, and make my own songs. I'm looking to spend $400 or less.

Is this any good?
sweetwater.com/store/detail/NP32BK

That's all a part of learning the instrument. You dumb fucks pour money into gear that you don't know how to use abs give up after a couple of months. These threads always come up and these people never get past "fiddling around" because of shit advice like "don't worry about learning anyithibf, just b urself and play"
You can't be yourself if you don't know how to work the god damned keyboard and how harmony functions and how that relates to tension and release. If you're going to spend money on instrument and actually want to learn how to play then fucking dedicate yourself to learning. It's not difficult but encouraging bullshittting is bullshit and just produces shitty musicians. I live in a city that is known as a "live music capitol" so I see these kinds how half assed fuck heads several times a week. It's dog shit and that only hurts the quality of musicians in the area. Look at dallas. Dallas Texas does not have as big of a music scene but the level of musician ship is so high because of the scarcity of gigs that you'll find people who say they play can actually fucking play their instrument.

what do you want to play, dude

for classical and jazz piano, for instance, you need 88 weighed keys
i recommend a cheap used casio privia

Jazz, classical, instrumental hiphop

get one of these, used or an older model
sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX160BK

Good luck. That's years and years of training you don't have. If you aren't a waste of space you'll practice your ass off for several years before making anything worth listening to.

>No, you don't need to know scales, modes, harmony or any or the circles to start playing nor composing

This is not good advice. At all.

>Jazz, classical,
come back in 10 years user.

Yeah I understand you don't instantly learn an instrument it takes years of practice, those genres are what I'm aiming for not the only thing that I want to play.

Noted, thanks

Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 1
Google that shit and read it if you know nothing about playing keyboard.

thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons
You probably don't give a shit about playing Jazz, but the videos and articles are pretty useful.

I'd personally recommend both studying theory/playing stuff you don't really care about while slowly learning how to play songs you actually like/improvising every once in a while, you can have all the goals in the world and an amazing musical taste, but that doesn't matter at all if you don't know how to move yourself around an instrument.
Starting can be frustrating and boring, but it's tolerable if you actually have passion for it and if you set short term goals.
Also focus on proper posture and stuff like that, you don't want to spend a hundred hours building up bad habits.

good luck, dude
patience is your best friend

Well, thank god I recommended a teacher and you didn't miss that part at all...

At o east read my other replies

You know you don't need a keyboard to practice that. If you're serious about what your say then you should already have tunes transcribed, know how to read, and have method books that you look at and mentally practice. Otherwise you're off to a really slow start

And you also said you don't need to know scales, modes, or the circle of 5ths. What self respecting teacher would agree with that bullshit? None

I've already been doing that but I can't really apply it without a keyboard can I.

I'm so sorry for you and your way of thinking.

>le art xD

Oh, music isn't art? Gee you really got my noggin joggin

This may sound weird but the fact that it has speakers really puts me off... also, those 10 sounds imply bad quality. Yes, you can use software and use the keyboard to play sounds in a computer, but having a keyboard with built in sounds that are good go such a long way.

You can have a 10 GB piano and it won't sound better than a mid price keyboard because they calibrate the sounds for the keyboard action.

I have a Casio Px-5s. It was $1000 (I know, way out of your budget) but it's a great, great run for your money. It's a stage piano. It has pianos, electric pianos, Synth sounds (like strings or sin/cos waveforms), and organ sounds. Also it has 4 fully customizable knows and 6 sliders to change parameters in the moment.

Actually you can.

bulletproofmusician.com/does-mental-practice-work/

I don't play keys often, but I keep my facility by fingering (correctly) all my scales on a table when I'm not behind a keyboard or doing something unrelated to music, and singing the notes as you play them also helps to reinforce that muscle memory and helps associate the tone with your fingers. same thing applies for percussion, guitar, wind instruments. All instrument really.

Art is an abstract expression. It's not a content but a vessel.
Anything can be art and anyone can be an artist, music in the way you see it is a science no different than Biochemistry or Astrophysics.
What I'm trying to say is that the value of art or what we consider good/bad is only a personal statement at the end.
Maybe this is why most people don't care about "arts" in more than an extremely superficial way.
I was just shitposting before but now you made me think about it and well, this is what I think about art I guess.

Any teacher whose student is just starting... you can play stuff in different tonalities without knowing a single scale for the first year and be totally fine about it...

Learning scales is more than just knowing that G mayor has F as sharp. Knowing a scale is naturally adjusting your fingers to always hit the sharps and flats and reading score without thinking much about it...

You must have had some really shitty teachers.

this is horrific advice please stop. i almost suspect youre just saying this to troll.

how can i learn piano while dealing with my arthritis
it herts

Kill yours elf

why did my elf ever do to hurt you

Was going to get one of those akai workstations, has anyone here had experience using them?

Talent not included.

Well then, make this kid learn all 12 tonalities before he tries anything worth your high tear ears...

Gove me a second, and I'll post a recording so you can continue to trash on me

I know only standard, E flat minor, E flat major, F minor, F major and D minor. I prefer to play in F minor because it most naturally concaves to your hand with your middle finger over g-sharp. I've been playing piano for six years. I have very little repertoire.