What did you make of it

what did you make of it

Those who weren't born beautiful will never understand it.

I thought it was a very beautiful movie. The colors and cinematography were very dramatic and I wish more movies did things like that to capture emotion.

With that said, I'm kind of iffy on the casting choice.

It was a good actor for the theme of "I'm a small town girl not knowing what I'm getting into" but she isn't really all that pretty

First 40 minutes, awesome
Everything after that, Refn should never be allowed to put ink to paper ever again

Elle fanning is not pretty enough justify the narrative

So far it's still the only movie I really liked of 2016. It's rare that I want to see a film more than once, and I saw this twice in theaters and got the Blu-Ray the day it came out. I understand everyones' gripe with the story, but I think that's one of the things that's going to make it so memorable, the completely undefinable plot...or lack of one. Beautiful film with a lot of great moments throughout.

That fucking opening and ending, too. Refn definitely understands genres really well, but he does his best to hide it.

I wish it kept the original ending in the script. Would have gotten a lot more praise

empty trash, I stopped watching 25 minutes in

MOTY, easily. Don't expect tocwatch anything better this year. I guess the only problem people have with the film is the not extreme enough Jessie's transformation. And not overly fluid structure and buildup. The film wasn't exactly what I expected, but I loved it and it gets better with multiple viewings. It's clear that the author had a clear vision for the movie and it's interesting to experience it.

Also, many people criticize the in your face, cheesy writing, but imo it's actually really good. The dialogues are snappy, simple, plot related and not too afraid to be cheesy. But most importantly, every single scene in this movie is memorable. The dialog doesn't do teenage philosophising(fuck you, Linklater) and it doesn't yik yak about plot unrelated bullshit (looking at you, Tarantino). So yeah, I loved it.

>Beauty is vicious
Jesus, that poster looks like a B movie. Did it seem tongue-in-cheek? Like, was Refn was going for the whole "Gotcha, I was just pretending to be retarded" thing?

I'm still debating on whether I should waste my time watching this or find a different way to waste my time.

>I wish it kept the original ending in the script. Would have gotten a lot more praise
What was the original ending? How was it supposed to end?

I was hyped as shit, from the trailer I expected much more "action" if you will, instead I got a movie that is more like an artsy slasher story that in the end leaves you unmoved.

I cant deny its fucking beautiful, the whole gold photo shoot almost made me cry from its beauty but then the movie slowed down instead of going somewhere.

Also Keanu reeves is there for like 3 minutes, FUCK YOU nwr dont tease me like that.

All in all I say this is the last chance NWR has to get his shit together and do a fucking heist movie set in LA before his career is officially over.

Tfw fat but have such a great face that it almost doesnt matter

It's fucking trash

>mfw I knew that feel

Bro I know its great but loose some weight and you'll be knee deep in pussy.

I didnt cared for years but recently I lost like half my weight and women actually flirt with me like in the movies.

go for it. NOW.

I interpreted her looks as from the view of the other models. When you think you are the most beautiful, although you can see beauty in others, you will highlight and distort their negatives so they no longer seem a threat to you. I also thought they did not literally eat her, they were only very cruel to her and she either committed suicide or keanu peso guy shipped her off to pimp out somewhere else or killed her. But her rise to glory and then death was to show how the industry is very shallow and relies solely on new novelty factor. Gigi can't hasndle this and ends up similar, dead to the fashion world. But Sarah ends up on top because she learns to hold her feelings and just push on regardless.

this

knew it was shit 30 minutes in

Its a great looking movie, and I loved it but I also love Elle so I feel like my opinion on this should just be thrown in the trash.
Still, aesthetically, like all refn's movies, its amazing. He knows how to frame his shots and put color into it and keep your eyes amused, he also somehow always picks the best soundtracks for his movies
Again, im an ellefag, so disregard me as much as you want. I'm aware of the weight this causes

REAL LOLITA SHIT

>they went to film school
>I made to kinoteatr
Was it that necessary?

Meh.

If you're a fan of surrealist films, you'll either appreciate it for the homage, or you'll think it falls short with its slow-slow-slow-slow-slow-slow-BATSHITCRAZY-end progression. I'm a bit of both, but more of the latter.

The thing that gets me the most is the cliche atmosphere. The not-so-nice guy not-boyfriend who tries to talk her out of it. The "when I was a kid, I used to stare at the stars and metaphor metaphor metaphor" speech. The scene where the hotshot photographer strips her naked. Staring at a household texture (in this case wallpaper) and seeing it come alive. The stereotypical mean girls and the sudden lesbianism. And of course, the overly artsy shots of her walking toward neon triangles (the only real neon in the film by the way,) that mean absolutely nothing except to look sort of pretty.

Just wasn't that impressed. Felt like a lot of stuff I've seen before, only not as good, without a strong enough frame around it, and an ending that was way too sudden. A strong example of the "you just didn't get it" type of "art" film, that you should "experience" rather than understand.

I got it, it just could have been done better.

real high fashion models look weird without makeup

>The "when I was a kid, I used to stare at the stars and metaphor metaphor metaphor" speech.

I don't think there was a metaphor in that speech.

>A strong example of the "you just didn't get it" type of "art" film

This is just false. Nothing about the film is even trying to be subtle, everything is overt and in the viewer's face. There is nothing to "get" except some obvious symbolism.

this could have been such a great hookup movie if it wasn't for the necrophilia scene

Went and saw this with my conservative religious gf. Told her it was my favourite director beforehand.
She is not impressed.
>necrophilia
>paedophilia
>lesbian rape
>cannibalism

Why didn't anyone warn me?

>my conservative religious gf.
Why would you date someone like that who obviously hates unique art?

that's the genre

same with Light Between Oceans

refn films always get this dual response

Garbage

that's L.A.

It's 'Refn wishes to be the little girl: the movie'

I'm still mad that my local movie theater didn't screen it. It was the only flick i wanted to go watch this year. It feels like you really needed to see it on the big screen to fully appreciate it. That said, I still liked it.

>but she isn't really all that pretty
That's the point, you dumb fuck.

All style, no substance.

The core theme of the unattainability of success and talent frames through the fashion industry and beauty makes for a weak bottom line, with scenes that are too drawn out without really fulfilling any purpose and a resolution that's ultimately very dull once you realize it's a very basic and unimaginative story.

>what did you make of it

a hat
a brooch
a pterodactyl

Going to see it on Tuesday :D

I know I lost weight before but gained it back. At the time I was the "Edward Cullen" of my school when that was hot.

I liked it. I liked it a lot.
And I say this as someone who doesn't like B-Movies or Thrillers.

I think it was a huge improvement over Only God Forgives, which was a great movie ruined by the lack of an ending.
It's like watching Taxi Driver if they took out the climactic gunfight.
>Muh ambiguous ending

This one fixed that problem exponentially, it's visceral like a good ending should be, and it makes his view on the world dramatically rather than through some kind of verbose metaphor.

Too many people are looking into the symbolism of this film, yes it's there, but it's only gravy - you got to look at the plot which can be curtly described as:
>vain hot bitches will kill to be hotter
That's his statement on society, and I think he said it in the clearest way possible.

I can think of a few criticisms I have, an user above remarked about the "when I was a kid I looked at the start" boring philosophy scene.
I also don't like how extremely minimal the direction is -- I'm really talking about the silences between the dialogue. I know why he does it, it's the same reason Sophia Coppola does it: it makes you THINK about what you just heard, it gives importance to the words and makes you really interpret them. But I just felt it was awkward in this film, as in unnatural.
Compare to his last two films where both times Ryan Gosling was playing a character who is repressing something so silence and minimalism makes sense, it's organic.

Cinematography was fucking beautiful.
Loved the sound track
Title sequence was glorious.
I like the foreshadowing in the opening scene, you spend the whole film with a tense knot in your stomach knowing something terrible is going to happen to Elle Fanning: but the thing that DOES befall her is way more horrific than I anticipated, hilariously so maybe

Who is this Semen Demon?

Just like Refn's other flicks: literally film school tier.

Define "substance"

>without really fulfilling any purpose

Aesthetic enjoyment is the purpose.

who made this bogan a 'model'?

Because she's a Korean qt and [spoilers] was[/spoilers] a Virgin

It's a horror film

But it's not a book?