Okay guys. Ive been searching for a while and have seen or gotten a lot of mixed answers...

Okay guys. Ive been searching for a while and have seen or gotten a lot of mixed answers. I have a 2002 protege5 and the vapor cannister (evap) cannister is bad. Anytime i put gas in it, it trips the line every half gallon or so. Sometimes as often as 1/15 a gallon. I cant find the part anywhere so i was wondering what is interchangable. 626 vapor cannister or 2002 protege? What can i use?

Other urls found in this thread:

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8971360&cc=1387278&jsn=424
rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8971360&cc=1387267
rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5641899&cc=1387447
rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4692480&cc=1387447
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it s a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

4 cylinder, 1.6L i believe

Regardless of the cylinders:

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8971360&cc=1387278&jsn=424

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8971360&cc=1387267

It looks to be the same regardless of the motor.

Rockauto is my automatic go-to for parts. Super easy to search. All I did was plug in your year and did a minor search there. Plus, the deals they have on parts are the absolute best!

Incase it didn't load up correctly for you:

Standard Motor Parts: Part #: CP3552

hold the fuck up for a second. Is this a Protege or is it a 626? Those links I provided above are for a 626!

Thanks man, i really appreciate it. I was told the front is interchangable and it didnt make any sense. And the manufacturer doesnt make it anymore. Ive looked on a few sites and most of them dont even have a p5 option, like pullapart. I didnt evem think of rock auto

Oh lmao its a protege5, the waggon. Its really weird how they did it. Mazda says its based off the 626 which is weird that its not the based protege so its confusing as fuck

No worries. What I would do is call this number:
(301) 212-3000

Thsi is the number for rosenthal Mazda out of Maryland. They ship parts all over the USA and are extremely reputable among Mazda owners (I own 3 RX-7s and 2 Miatas) and they will be able to put you in the right direction no issue at all!

I don't want you to purchase the wrong part, so I would absolutely give Rosenthal a call and ask them real quick.

Yeah dude, i definitely will. I called my local mazda (like mazda atlanta or some shit) and they didnt give me a striaght answer, all they said was they didnt make the vapor cannister anymore

Make sure to ask for their parts department first though! Else the operator won't have any idea wtf is going on.

You're in Atlanta? I'm by Augusta! Small world.

I actually did a quick search again on rockauto and only these parts came up:

Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5641899&cc=1387447

Intermotor

rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4692480&cc=1387447

Both look to be vital parts for the car and evap system.

Youve been a great help user. I posted on /o/ but nobody seems to be responding over there

No worries. This is kind of my thing. I may not have been much help finding the correct part, but at least you know of the avenues in which to get it!

I'm currently looking real quick to see if I can actually find an evap canister from one of my local contacts who I can put you in touch with.

Ill have to actually take it out and look at it and see what part is actually bad on it. I figured replacing the whole thing would be easier but i was way wrong lmao and yeah, small world!

Called him up real quick and doesn't look like he has one. I'm checking another alternative real quick too.

Thanks for calling, seriously. Youre doing way more than you have to and i appreciate it. The closest i found was Mazmart in chambley that had used ones but they never got back to me

No worries there either!

BUT BUT BUT I did a quick search, and it looks like in the Augusta Pull-a-Part (junkyard, bunch in Atlanta and the Southeast) there is a Protege5 that came in on the 18th of December. It might still have the fuel canister on it! For ridiculously cheap too.

>Anytime i put gas in it, it trips the line every half gallon or so. Sometimes as often as 1/15 a gallon
I had this problem. You know the little flappy-doodle that covers your gas filler neck until you put the filler nozzle in? Well, the flappy part of the doodle broke off and was plugging the fill line. This caused gas to back up and shut off the pump. Could only fill gas at a slow trickle, which was quite irritating with my 32 gallon tank and 8.5 MPG. I took a chisel and broke apart the collar on the top of the fuel fill line, then used one of those bendy-grabby-reachy claw tools to pull out the misplaced flappy bit. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

These cars are so hard to find! The one you found and one near me (richards auto salvage) are the only places ive found that has them

Really?? I took the cannister out a few weeks ago and let it sit upside down all weekend and it helped for like 2 days but theb back to the same old. Im gonna look down this avenue too! Wow

Richard's Auto salvage? I know of that place too!

So I'm about to post a bunch of places. But here's what I wouldo do:

-Take the part off or take pictures and lots of them for comparison

-Go to a local junkyard (I looked up Pull a part and found TONS of Protege NOT protege5s)

- find the year closest to yours

-Pull off and compare!

Here's the first one screen shot

Here's an Atlanta-East one

Here's an Atlanta-North

Atlanta South

The car dealer don’t haz it?

Not OP but, sadly Mazda isn't the best for their economy cars and keeping up with their parts. They are also really not too good at making them home-mechanic friendly either!

Is this what yours looked like? I think it is...

Im gonna feel real bad my dude if its not the vaor cannister because youre doing so much

Haha, no worries. If it's not, I just provided a bunch of different avenues for you to find the answer!

I'm heading out to work on my own car (replacing head on '95 Miata M-Edition. I'll keep this thread up and check back in every now and then!

Good luck dude, mazda is a pain in the ass im learning and again, i appreciate all the help

I can't tell if this is a reverse troll or the first time I've ever seen helpful advice on Sup Forums.

OP here ans honestly, its my first time getting helpful advice on Sup Forums. Its a nice change to all the trolling amd shitposting