Rock is ded

Am I the only one that unironically thinks Rock and Roll is a dead genre? In the past 25 years since Nirvana's breakthrough to the mainstream, no new subgenres have been popularized and the new bands are all versions of Psychedelic, Progressive, Metal or Punk. All of those major subgenres came up in the previous 25 years going back to the release of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart's Club Band. You'd think if 4 popular rock categories could develop in one 25 year span then at least 1 would come into its own in the second but there aren't any. It's all based on the subgenres from the previous era so I say Rock and Roll is dead af.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=37oJqWp4rJM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mainstream popularity makes a genre dead
Fortunately the underground is the only place where you can find the better out of a genre, in most case.

>tfw no punk revival under trump yet

That would be the cringiest thing ever.
I'm not sure if I want it or not.

music is dead & even if something new does come along...thanks to the web it'll spread too fast & burn out before it makes any indelible cultural impact

>no new subgenres have been popularized
what is Djent

By and large, Rock and Roll shot all its bullets.

But I think there's a deeper problem regarding music consumption, the influence of radio and demographics. Where does Rock music really fit into contemporary society? It doesn't get radio play, it doesn't play at the clubs, it doesn't play at sport stadiums, the galleries, the fashion shows etc. It no longer really has a platform to succeed.

And this is why it's stuck between a rock and a hard place. It can never be as catchy and radio friendly as pop/hip-hop is, and it can't innovate as the attention span for sincere attempts at musical innovation largely don't exist either.

>muh underground
there was no innovation in "rock" music since the 90s. metal is still evolving though but it's too hardcore for normies to care about it

youtube.com/watch?v=37oJqWp4rJM

I've been seeing an upswing in extreme punk genres, a lot of crossover with free jazz/improvised music and hard electronic music.

>rock innovation in the 90's
Like what?

good film but he's wrong, boomers ruined rock music by becoming part of the establishment themselves, not gen x

you can literally go to a rock concert anyday
get a rock band together in a few weeks
tune through the radio and hear some rock music
go online and discuss rock music
check out dozens of rock music releases from the last few months

but yeah sure OP rock is dead don't even bother

As much as i enjoy punk and these new waves of psych rock drugheads, I have to agree with you. Also, reminder that punk was MEANT to die.

A sub genre of metal and prog minds coming together, I dig it but it's just the next step, not a ne staircase

Trash

>metal is still evolving though but it's too hardcore for normies to care about it
Normies love metal you clueless fuck

Where the fuck do you come from where normies like metal?

Normalfags hate contemporary metal. The farthest they go is power metal with a female vocalist.

Rock isn't dead, it's just not on the radio anymore in the Anglosphere because it's not what the consumers want right now.

>Rock is dead
fuck outta here with that gene simmons tier shit

rock / metal is growing thanks to the internet, just because they don't slap it on your face on every radio channel doesn't mean it's dead

i think he's referring to good metal, which normos despise

>innovative rock in the 90s
Like what? Grunge was just a way of remarketing hard rock and punk for the angsty MTV teens. Same goes for post-punk. Rock stopped being innovative when the 80s began. Everything afterwards in the genre was derivative. Not saying that is neccessarily a bad thing, though.

Same goes for pop-punk*

this

holy shit you are dense

"""Rock""" as a genre is a creative dead end. It morphed into two superior genres, Metal and Punk, which are are still making good music and innovating to this day. The problem with rock is that it has no good music beyond the mainstream. Obscure rock bands in the """underground""" from your local scene just sound like Nickleback tribute bands.

mallcore is not metal

>t. not obscure enough tastes or has a shit radio station that doesn't play da good shit