Thoughts on A Love Supreme?

Thoughts on A Love Supreme?

Other urls found in this thread:

openculture.com/2017/04/the-tone-circle-john-coltrane-drew-to-illustrate-the-theory-behind-his-most-famous-compositions-1967.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I tried to listen, why is Coltrane considered a great sax player? its just noise.

That's what all music is you numfuck

#Not all music.

I like to listen to Elizabethan music, that is not noise like that love supreme is.
"honk honk squeal honk."

noise != sound

Timeless classic. Listened it on acid, don't even have words to describe what I felt (partly because I don't remember) but it was amazing.

amazing album. i wish i could pick up the bass a little more but the live recordings do it very well

Here's an illustration Coltrane did to explain the theory behind his solos.

>needing piles of paper to understand a solo

this is music for the brain, not for the heart. it's the distinct point in time when Jazz started to go downhill

Amazing album but a bit overrated, not even his best record.

Idk I just feel it out, I don't have close to the musical fluency to understand exactly what he does that makes him special. I just thought the pentagram was pretty.

What is his best record?

I love Bags & Trane.

meditations

>this is music for the brain, not for the heart
wrong but ok

but he more or less stopped doing that after Giant Steps and went more "music for the heart" direction?

sure, he ends up playing the little A Love Supreme -theme in all 12 keys, but it doesn't feel like a theoretic showcase like GIant Steps or Countdown were earlier and even those sound pleasant enough to the casual listener

The two are not mutually exclusive. It's a sign of a true pleb that you think it cannot be both at once.

Idiots like you have become a majority on Sup Forums now and this board is beyond saving. Do us all a favor and KYS yourself.

hey numbnuts, isn't music just organized sounds and noises.

>I'm 15 and I'm avant-garde as fuck

Fuck out of here, Meditations is nothing interesting compared to what Coleman and other guys were doing. If you're gonna spew shit about how A Love Supreme is overrated at least talk about My Favorite Things or Africa / Brass.

>>I'm 15 and I'm avant-garde as fuck
Generic memes are not an argument.
Not him. But Meditations is one of his best Free Jazz records. Personal favorite of mine.

I prefer Africa/Brass 2 more than the original, the one from the 70's that was included on sessions. Coltrane has a ton of great shit, it's a shame only certain records get the props they deserve.

Never see Soultrane mentioned; do you guys like it?

It's better than his debut. I will say that.
It's also comfy.

Ole is so fucking amazing, one of the best of his career, but side 2 is so disposable and boring. Shame.

That's just wrong. That has literally nothing to do with his music or his solos.

9/10

It's pretty good.

I guess I'm a victim of some clickbait article?

This. It's so strange how many people seem to think music can't be both technically complex and emotionally impactful.

'Friad so. That's just a 12 notes split up on to two circles with 6 notes on each and then drawn together to make a shape. It means nothing for music, but you might be able to remark on the math behind how that works. Coltrane was interested in mysticism and many religions. I'm very certain Coltrane never learned enough math to be interested in it beyond in how music and the mystic might be related.

Also as far as I know Coltrane was never super explicit on what was doing. He definitely said stuff and gave away some info, but I don't think he ever was explicit enough to make a diagram or something of that level about it.

No one says otherwise, it's very suspicious though that people who argue most vocally about emotional impact are ones that know nothing of technical complexities.

Coltrane studied with Dennis Sandole though for like 5 years. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he got into this kind of diagrams and mathematical patterns in music.

>Have no idea what the fuck this is

I'm confused

Here's the article either way
openculture.com/2017/04/the-tone-circle-john-coltrane-drew-to-illustrate-the-theory-behind-his-most-famous-compositions-1967.html