Why did they have families on the Enterprise?

Why did they have families on the Enterprise?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporter_(Star_Trek)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

all of the crew were fucking 24/7. bound to happen. it was an interstellar orgy. good thing they had Data to run the ship.

It's purely a research vessel...until an alien race they meet becomes hostile...then they blow them up.

It's a TV entertainment fantasy show and thus it does not need to make sense.

>good thing they had Data to run the ship.
Even he got laid once (it was the 1st season, iirc).

they had the holodeck for that

Starfleet is not military (except it is) so the Flagships are research vessels.

Because the Final Frontier is actually hell.

You want normal and successful people to be your ambassadors to another species. A ship full of full grown successful people who don't have kids is completely un-fucking normal. Normal folks get married and shit out kids. This has always been so.

Also, they're very far away from Earth and have zero plans to come back regularly. No family can function like this.

There's two problems: 1. the best and brightest will have families. 2. No "good" people will leave their family in a lurch for their entire career or for even a several year stretch. The simple solution: bring the families with them.

Reminder: the Enterprise wasn't a war ship. When the Federation enters a war time footing, I imagine they'd drop all the kids off on Risa or some shit and/or have war type ships with war time compliments and without room for the family compliment.

Because Riker needed some teens and MILFs to smash.
And Data kids to take care of.

Star Trek doesnt really make much sense as a cohesive world if you think about it too much.

I mean hell; Picard was captain of the Stargazer for 22 years, What the fuck?

Never mind shit like the poor colonists toughing it out despite the existence of replicators.

>Picard was captain of the Stargazer for 22 years, What the fuck?

I think it's unspoken, but people probably just live longer in the federation. They've got science so good it might as well be magic, so they should be pulling Dumbledore years easy.

Easier than having crew transporting all over the place all the time

>I think it's unspoken

Not really, Bones was like 200 years old in the TNG pilot

I think it's criminal child endangerment to bring children on deep space mission filled with gazillions of unpredictable dangers.

they literally worship death. they disdain cryopreservation and mind uploading and feel righteous indignation when assassinating illegal clones. they routinely provoke and insult immortal races. starfleet loves death.

It wasn't a military ship, it was an exploration ship.

>they will never show you that female crew's ovary and uterus and male crew's testis are taken out and can only be asked for after their parental leaves are approved

>which ofc can only happen after one of the kids onboard gets killed or lost or gets off the ship and frees up a spot in the Kids Quota System

Bullshit. They sent their most powerful ships to "explore" and had kids on them so that if any were lost while expanding the empire they could demonetize the aliens for attacking them. It's some Starship Troopers level propaganda to say they had no military ships.

>they literally worship death.

You don't have to try to preserve life to wind up extending life. If you remove heart disease, have a pill that'll knock out cancer, and probably super-vitamins to keep you feeling good and active you're just going to live longer. Not only that, but your window of being worth a fuck will probably stretch quite a bit too.

>they could demonetize the aliens

>It's some Starship Troopers level propaganda to say they had no military ships.

This is not even remotely true. The fact is that the galaxy is a rough place and walking around without your phasers out is just asking to be mugged in some back nebula.

because roddenberry was an idiot

thankfully he died and the ENT-E, Defiant and Voyager didn't have families

inworld you could say there was an incredibly long peace when TNG started so starfleet was complacent, but that ended with the borg and dominion.

lol mobile is a bitch.

>it's a they accidentally detected a life sign inside the vent which turns out to be a blond little 10 yo girl who has never been to education programs or even eaten a proper food from the synthesizer because she was born secretly without permit

Because lonely virgins get discriminated even more in the future. Just ask Wesley, Geordie and Worf.

>the ENT-E, Defiant and Voyager didn't have families

Who the fuck is going to work for starfleet when it requires you to abandon any notion of having a family?

...episode

The same sort of people who work for the merchant navy or are scientists in Antarctica now

irl the elites put a cap on untermenschen life spans as a means of pest control. sure, bones as a decorated officer and proven useful person might have gotten to live to 150 but regular people? you're not even allowed to be born without modification if the seeds of criminal behavior are detected in your genome. i doubt section 31 is going to allow normal people or lower to overrun the earth or other colonized worlds without some sort of control being imposed, overtly or covertly. nope, starfleet loves death. it's proven fact.

(me)

With policies like this, starfleet will be entirely composed of robots. Not the Data kind, the r9k kind. We'll be known galactic pariahs in a matter of weeks.

>Hail Enterprise, we're from the planet Chad, welcome to our neck of the galaxy

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

same people who go career military now?

You can have a family but you'll spend a lot of time away from them

Defiant was a warship though.
It didn't go on voyages.

Yes, but it's not like you don't see them for years at a time.

>no family
>fair chance you will be killed or endure nightmarish scenarios
>7 years min service
>only accepts the best and brightest after years of studying
>promotion prospects are thin and based largely on the personality of your commander or him dying in aforementioned freak accidents
>the rest of the universe is apparently some kind of paradise with no need for currency
why? I guess its kind of like britbongs who choose to be doctors

It's not a warship.

You're not a warship.

autistic proles?

Well, you're not a family. That would go on the not-warship.

>scientists in Antarctica now

Yeah, over a 15 year span a scientist can spend a whole 4 years in Antarctica. That's not going away for 5 years and never seeing your wife again. The Enterprise doesn't come back to Earth very often and it's sure as hell not a planned event.

>people who work for the merchant navy

Again, those guys work a set schedule and *do* come home regularly. They can and do have families. If Starfleet does not take families with them then everyone on board will either have to abandon their families for years at a time or just go without.

That's less realistic than Q.

Your mom isn't a family.

They explained it multiple times.
>We want our people to be happy on these years long missions so we give them the opinion to have their families with them
>helps build a community and humans need a community
>people are gonna hook up on the ships
>allows people to fight even harder for the ship to survive because families are on the ship

its my theory that the rest of the rest of the federation is NOT a paradise that's propaganda

the only time we saw in depth examples of earth life were picards family and siskos family, both who lived practically 19th century lifestyles

sure they both said they don't like "newfangled" stuff like replicators but you sure that isn't just something they were indoctrinated to in school?

the perks of technology like replicators and holodecks are something only for the military elite, not to mention when you retire you have special status

>
The Naked Now

>same people who go career military now?

Again, they get a month of leave even when their at war, and when they're not at war they can live in a house with their family. I know, I was in the army. You guys are crazy if you think Scientists in Antarctica, guys who work freight boats or soldiers give up having a family.

That's never been even remotely true.

>transporters don't exist

>transporters work thousands light years apart

>wesley
>not a chad in the making after making fun of broccoli and getting the adults in on it too

Because you just KNOW 6 months into that voyage everybody was fucking off duty.

A better question would be how many abortions Dr. Crusher had to perfrom

You just use the transporter to beam the fetus into the replicator, where it's converted into energy like the dirty plates

>>transporters don't exist

Transporters have always been for short range travel. Until the JJ movies that is. There's never been any indication in any of the series that transporters work across interstellar distances.

Starfleet isn't just people on starship, there's Starbases, all those facilities orbiting Earth and within the solar system like Eutopia Planetia shipyards, Spacedock, Jupiter station etc, and planet-based facilities like research stations and Starfleet academy.

There's loads of places you could take your family, or be within commuting distance of them and still serve The Federation.

Contact your nearest Starfleet Officer for more information about how to join Starfleet, and explore the galaxy!

well there's no indication on star trek that people don't have vacations or rotate off the ship either

how many times do we have our main characters off the ship or coming back on shuttle from some holiday..

also its only the senior staff that seems to stay there for 8 years, because they are career driven (and they rarely had families even when they could. ex, it was just o'brien and sisko with kids out of all of the main characters in any show)

the lower ranks whenever you saw a guest star they usually "just rotated onboard" or whatever they probably had a lot more time back home too

So the crew is eating dead baby energy? Metal

they did in star trek 2009 and into darkness

why does star fleet not take the iconion tech so they can just use that to go home!!!?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transporter_(Star_Trek)

In TOS the range was 40,000 kilometers, in TNG, it was about the same:

"The 40,000-kilometer limit is also referenced in ENT: "Daedalus"."

Dirty dishes, aborted babies, that cum you left in the holodeck, memory fragments that get stuck in the transporter buffer

Replicators don't discriminate

I would have fugged Ro repeatedly.

alternate time line with 25th century tech reverse engineered from Neros and Spocks ship.

It's never explained if the contraceptions or abortions are performed out of the partners' personal choice or a direct military order to control the onboard population.

Every time they've found an Iconion portal they've been forced to destroy it to prevent their enemies using it before they had a chance to work out how it works.

non-cannon

*SMACKS LIPS*

SOOOO
YOU BE SAYINNNN
AY HOL UP
WE
BE

You are eating dead baby (matter not energy) right now since you are born on this planet.

>Hello aliens, can we interest you in trade? we don't have any money though, hey where you going?

>Starfleet isn't just people on starship, there's Starbases

ANd if the Enterprise was swinging in circles around a starbase then we could expect the crew to leave family on one of these star bases. This is a ship of exploration though. There's no place for the crew to leave their family to where they could see them on a regular basis. There's no telling where any Enterprise level ship is going to be this time next month and sure as hell not in six months.

>There's loads of places you could take your family, or be within commuting distance of them
The Enterprise is not a merchant vessel. It doesn't go in circles. It goes "Outwards". They aren't going to strange new places and finding strange civilizations and getting back to home base on a regular basis.

I'm sure there's plenty of rules around it

Remember Thomas asking Troi to come with him "after 6 months service I can bring family on board"

I bet if you have 5 kids or something they'll stick you on a starbase or discharge you.

DS9 talks about this.

They say Earth is paradise. A spreading paradise and its easy to forget that outside it people are still starving to death.

>40,000-kilometer
9 trillion kilometres =1 light year
short range is relative.

They keep stores of gold-pressed Latinum to use when trading with less sophisticated cultures. Riker even gambles with it against Ferengi

Not even disintegrated fetus, I love eggs.

I love fried baby fetus in just about every food I eat.

>well there's no indication on star trek that people don't have vacations or rotate off the ship either

How are they going to do that? There's no telling where the Enterprise is going to be at any given time and leave is something you plan in advance.

>Hey ensign homesick, I hear you've got leave to see your baby girl this month. Well, how in the fuck are you going to get to Jupiter Station and back in the 3 weeks you've been allowed to take off?

>Er...

Just reviewed my posts from the fidonet trek echo that I made when I was 12 and apparently I'm still posting the exact same things that I post today.

This made me legitimately sad.

>i have never watched the show and just know the no money meme
>also my views of trade are very limited

40000 kilometers in space is nothing

ok but how do you have gold-pressed latinum into an arcade machine bro

Ok, nobody starves (if that's even true)

but nobody probably live with the perks that Starfleet Officers do

and there's no free market way for them to earn it either

all ways to get ahead are dictated by the government like any good commie system

Federation is big. They can meet in the middle

Not if you are of a species whose childhood is five times shorter than humans

if you've never watched the show why are you here? I'm sorry to hear about your trade views

6 months probation at your current station an then you can bring your family. There seem to be exceptions like galaxy class ships and if you have been in service for a long time or high rank.

>short range is relative.

And? My argument is that they can't transport home cause they're so short ranged. I was replying to myself. Which I forgot to put the (me) on top.

Starfleet is a massive organisation, the ship doesn't have to go to Earth to rotate crewmembers, they put them on other vessels which are sent to rendezvous with the Enterprise, this happens a few times in the series, like when Wesley, his mother and Dr. Pulaski come and go. And in addition to that, the 1701-D went back to Earth 7 times during the series.

>40000 kilometers in space is nothing

No shit. That's why I replied to my post that they've always been short range with proof that they're short ranged.

you know air travel and the concept of servicemen getting home in 48 hours on leave are new right?

it used to take two weeks just to cross the atlantic

in ww2 soldiers were away from their families for years..

in space 40 000 km is licking range

>Federation is big. They can meet in the middle

It'd be a lot easier if they just brought the families along though. Their quarters are huge and they don't have to lug around food for them. They have replicators for that.

ITT: people who don't want to admit that Star Trek is a communist utopia, and not a libertarian one.

Sorry fellas, but communism gives us Star Trek, right wing ideologies give us Mad Max.

>you know air travel and the concept of servicemen getting home in 48 hours on leave are new right?

And you know that getting someone from one side o Earth to the other is nothing compared to getting them from one part of space to another, right?

The Enterprise is often months of fast travel (as fast as the Enterprise can travel to boot) away from Earth. Not all ships can go even half that fast. These are just facts.

The theme of the show is that they respect personal choice and the person always make reasonable choice.

They don't force you to abort kids but you don't get pregnant when there is no room for kids.

Which is the current attitude of the church on the matter.

that is one of the things i love about DS9.
it is star fleet characters put outside of their safe space. it breaks them down after a while.

6 months stationed on that particular ship Thomas Riker could bring a wife

It never said he can bring 5 kids and 2 dogs too or something

I'm sure its all relative to the ship capacity, how far away its posted, etc..

>Sorry fellas, but communism gives us Star Trek, right wing ideologies give us Mad Max.
lol I remember that reddit pic from ten years ago too, redditfriend lol

lol 'member
lol

kys asap

Well it seems holosuites and personal replicators are a luxury.

From what we do see of earth people seem to be able to do what they want. Run restaurants, run vineyards, never work and they seem to live just fine.

From what we have seen it seems starfleet people have a drive to work, spread humanity or explore science and space. Neets and normies don't get that much screen time, but they seem to want for nothing.

#
The theme of the show is that they respect personal choice and the person always makes RESPONSIBLE choice.

They don't force you to abort kids but you don't get pregnant when there is no room for kids.

Which is the current attitude of the church on the matter.

stealth nomadic dispersal

>it used to take two weeks just to cross the atlantic

In canon the Enterprise is often known to be *months* of travel, and remember that it's one of the fastest ships around, away from Earth.

You guys are acting like they're going to rotate crews out when it's going to take the crew six months on a warp seven transport, if they can find it, to get back to wherever they stashed their kids and shit. lol

>The Enterprise is often months of fast travel (as fast as the Enterprise can travel to boot) away from Earth.

when did they ever say this?

Enterprise isn't really a deep space explorer, it operates inside the federation and on it's frontiers