Music Production

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good production software for beat making on a Mac?

I was thinking of getting Ableton Live 9 Suit but I thought I'd ask here first.

I don't have much experience either so if its a complete and utter brain fuck to navigate maybe something a little more intermediate would be nice, thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/skmwqelg
clyp.it/j4mivyk1?token=47eeef56ab98007c3234b4778b91dd5b
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrVrWkq_dc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Self Bumpurru don't instakill my bread please.

Logic Pro? most of the people who produce on macs use that, it's a lot similiar to cubase/protools in terms of layout
there should be a version of fl studio for mac too
anyway don't bother too much with the daw just try them all and pick your favourite
if your beats ever land on some relevant record you won't even mix the actual track

I use Logic Pro 9 which has Ultrabeat included in stock. There are a number of tutorials online and I haven't even begun to fuck with the LFOs and intricate shit and it still sounds okay. I just use a sequencer and drag the pattern with looping or repeating with new sequences

Just get Ableton, but wait if you are planning on buying since there is a closed beta version for Ableton 10 out now. Just pirate the shit until the new version drops...

I Bought a bundle with Ableton Push 2 since i already have a studio setup in my livingroom.

You WILL need a audio interface and some nice headphones.

And for god sake don't be the idiot who thinks production has an intermediate level. You either learn or you suck so much that you give up.

Would recommend Ableton Live to beginners and experienced producers. There is no such thing as a beginners DAW

guys I'm moving from home studio to live performance and I'm wondering if its worth investing in a hardware sequencer for my synths and drum machines (MIDI)

the alternative is using my 8-track recorder on stage and playing backing tracks (audio) while playing a synth or two live.

what do you guys think?
are there any big benefits to either or is it just a matter of taste/playing style?

OP here, thanks for your contributions I'll read through them shortly, much appreciated.

I have like 5 daws and use them all since each one is flawed in its own way

Made a sketch some time ago:
clyp.it/skmwqelg

>And for god sake don't be the idiot who thinks production has an intermediate level. You either learn or you suck so much that you give up.

uh, so while you are learning, you are transitioning from a stage of sucking to a stage of not sucking, and during this time, you are better than your worst but not exactly good yet.

would this not be intermediate?

Please bring back /prod/

GarageBand

anyone know any bass vsts?

t. intermediate who thinks he is pro

spectrasonics trillian

Should I pay for an album artist? I'm basically some nobody, does it matter if I make my own album artwork with reference material, or should I be worried about copyright?

copyright for what? it depends on what you mean by reference material and "making"

was thinking of using something like this, but it might be too close to the source material.

well we'd need to know what the source material was and how much it was changed,if its just some stock photo on the internet or someones painting for instance makes a big difference aswell

This is the original frame I used. The background is from some painting I had sitting in my harddrive, but I can't remember who it's from. Then tried to blend the two together.

DAW isn't going to make you good keep in mind they all have different workflows. You wont know what you need until you put in a lot of hours

yea dude i dont think the creators of some old school anime would even care if they find out you took a picture of 1 of the frames edited it to look like your album cover,maybe just maybe if you we an actually big name producer or something but the only way anyone would even know that was a picture from an anime is if they were some kinda autistic savant and had an obsession about that anime.

I feel like ableton has a steeper learning curve, but once you know how to use it, it has the most creative potential of any daw

also r8
clyp.it/j4mivyk1?token=47eeef56ab98007c3234b4778b91dd5b

Here's a piece of advice: never take advice from a gearhead.

You can make a great album on GarageBand. It's about what you do with the program.

>you can make a great album on GarageBand
Vid-related
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrVrWkq_dc

Great engineers/producers will tell you that you never stop learning the craft. Of course there's a a level between not knowing shit and being a seasoned pro.