Who here has taken the /criss cross/ pill...

Who here has taken the /criss cross/ pill? A good jazz musician only needs his instrument and a few hours in the studio to make a great album.

Favorite albums from the label?

Yes, their album covers are bad but the albums are all about the music.

based Lonnie Smith!

Lonnie Smith is awesome. Had no idea he recorded stuff for criss cross.

what are the essential criss cross albums?

>criss cross

JTG is the expert and I pretty much got into them from his recs but he made this which is kind of cool

Lonnie Smith and Lonnie Liston Smith are actually 2 different people

Both jazz organists lol

nice, thanks

Oh there's these ones too

just curious, anyone get into criss cross NOT because of JTG?

I don't have any problem with him but it's kinda disconcerting that everything he says gets taken as gospel because he's one of the few internet / rym / mu "personalities" that have an interest in contemporary jazz

I'm sure someone is but probably not on Sup Forums since JTG has basically been shilling their stuff for years. Personally I disagree with JTG on a lot when it comes to modern jazz but I do get why he likes criss cross as much as he does and I think theyre kind of underrated.

thank you! this kind of stuff is why I still come on Sup Forums

Too busy listening to Kamasi Washington! Haven't you heard? He's saving jazz.

I wonder if Kamasi could make a great album with just his instruments and a few hours in the studio

kek maybe if you consider blues scales and two chord vamps awesome

>it's bad because it's not complex

every time...

>it's good because I like it
every time...

Nobody said that you moron

still a better argument

see it was implied here

No it wasn't. You can't just decide that whatever stupid argument you think you can disprove is implied.

What was implied was that Kamasi uses a lot of blues solos and two chord vamps. Which is completely and objectively true.

What was further implied is that if you're entertained by that then you'd probably like what Kamasi would be able to do under minimalist studio circumstances.

If we stretch really far in what was implied you might also assume that people who are used to listening to jazz musicians who are capable of much more beyond those constraints might be unimpressed and bored with jazz that has such needless limits and restraints.

bump

I don't really follow jazz record labels so I don't think I've heard very many of theirs but Unseen Universe by Conrad Herwig is one of my favorite jazz albums of all time.

That is a good one.

Dr.Lonnie smith is legend

bump