Fed Rate Hike in June

Is the bubble about to pop? Econbros help me out

Other urls found in this thread:

research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/AAA
data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000
zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-30/things-are-thriving-modern-hooker-economy
youtube.com/watch?v=n-cjqjvDJO0
zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-29/china-sends-yellen-another-warning-fixes-yuan-lowest-over-five-years
ssa.gov/oact/STATS/OASDIbenies.html
census.gov/quickfacts/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-23/chinese-buy-one-third-of-vancouver-homes-national-bank-estimate
reuters.com/article/us-oil-iran-exclusive-idUSKCN0VE21S
theguardian.com/business/2003/feb/16/iraq.theeuro
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-30/imf-backs-yuan-in-reserve-currency-club-after-rejection-in-2010
money.cnn.com/2015/10/14/news/economy/us-treasury-debt-selloff-2015/
money.cnn.com/2016/05/16/news/economy/us-debt-dump-treasury/
greaterfool.ca/2016/05/22/family-jewels/
businessinsider.com.au/map-china-produced-nearly-eight-times-more-steel-than-any-other-nation-in-2015-2016-5
nytimes.com/2015/12/17/business/economy/fed-interest-rates.html
reuters.com/article/us-economy-poll-usa-idUSKBN0GD18I20140813
theguardian.com/business/2016/may/18/uk-and-eu-urged-to-act-on-chinese-steel-dumping-after-us-hikes-duty-on-imports
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They can't hike the rates, they're just talking shit.

It's literally Depression 2.0 if they pull this shit, they're more likely to run NIRP

Yes, the stock market is in a big, juicy bubble.

Just when Obama is about to leave.

Clearly not biased at all.

They're holding it off, weaponizing the economic crash so they can drop it at the right moment to assume full control

Any chances of deflation if the bubble pops?

I'm heavy on cash at the moment and would love to buy up a bunch of shit at depressed prices.

Lets see, yeah it syncs up with China conquering the and the world back when in depressions, along with ISIS attacking in Ramadan before brexit, also Zika outbreak at the Olympics.

The columns of dates need to be moved to the right.

>inflation edging towards 2%
>unemployment literally the closest to the Fed's mandate in history

There's no excuse not to hike. And no it's not a conspiracy.

Not really, you'd only see sustained deflation in an economy facing a severe structural misalignment (Europe, Japan). The US doesn't have either shaky banks (Europe) or zombie corps/demographic issues(Japan).

>these made up numbers

Wait till after they announce the hike.

The most likely scenario is deflation, followed by a drop in gold and silver.

Buy it up after it reaches 1k to 1100, and silver at 13 to 15. The bubble will most likely have a delayed pop, which gives you time to bank some PM's before the crash and Weimar inflation.

Don't invest in energy or mining unless you can sit on it for a while.

Other than that, keep a diverse portfolio, including cash, and PM's.

Biotechnology might drop pretty quick when the free money runs out, when they hit bottom is the time to buy, if the companies exist without bankruptcy. I would sell biotechnology when they announce a hike.

>don't agree with it
>must be made up

Fuck I sold all my gold months ago. FUCK.

I'm not sure what part of the US you live in but even in top tier cities unemployment is everywhere.

Yes it's about to burst. When Trump is elected it's crash and International Jewry will be exterminated by Based Assad & Putin

so buy it back at the same price...

Obama isn't going to let it pop on his duration.

Buy food and guns you retard along with survival, medical, botanical books.

The problem is that if you follow the financial markets. The market is completely inflated based mostly on companies buying their own stock by getting loans at 0-.25%. The moment the hike continues the market will basically colapse just for the fact that has been running on cheap money for years.

Unemployment is tricky to define/measure (i.e. U3 vs U6), so it can be a bit misleading. But it's unlikely to be like 20%

No corporation is borrowing that low, research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/AAA

I agree though, a gradual rate normalization will inevitably constrain corporate buybacks and lead to a market correction. But maybe 10% not a complete collapse, if only because it'll happen everywhere.

>>unemployment

Yes, data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

I agree though that can understate things

I'm surprised you actually believe the official govt data. I'm pretty sure you believed the govt when they said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction too?

zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-30/things-are-thriving-modern-hooker-economy

No lol, expect them to double the money supply or something retarded when shit hits the fan, even negative rates won't save them

>jobs created are part-time low-paying jobs
>official unemployment rate doesn't count people who aren't looking for a job because they've given up

This.

Conservatively I'd say double digits at least. Worst case scenario I'd say is about 25%. Especially when you take jnto account the retired, disabled, too young, or too old.

Wait, is my advice.

What we're about to see could very well rival Japan in the 90s (a roughly 20 year rollercoaster of plummeting share prices) or America in the great depression (~75% drop over 3 years), I'm inclined to think that it will be closer to the depression given that Japan had room to move it's interest rates down, which the fed can't really do and boomers are basically done with their borrowing while millenicucks can't afford to, and the fact that Japan had no insane private and public sector debt like USA. It seems logical that we're going to see a reversion to the historic mean price of the market, which happens all throughout history.

The best measure of an overvalued market is corporate equities to GDP, as as of August 2015 the US share market was at 129%. The 65 year mean is about 69%. There is no way the fed can keep this house of cards going forever, they only think they can, or they realize the nature of this giant ponzi scheme. You probably want your money more or less out of shares, listed property trusts and precious metals before the crash, then, ease back in when you feel like buying up, there'd be nothing worse than a fall turning from 50% to 75% when you think the worst is over.

True, but it would be mitigated as long as the dollar is still used as a reserve currency. We can literally print our way out of debt, making more debt, and pay off our debts.

The house of cards only topples when other countries stop buying dollars as a hedge against loss, or if oil is traded in less and less dollars.

Oh wait...

No

youtube.com/watch?v=n-cjqjvDJO0

Give it up Peter It's literally never happening

>inb4 Bill dies before general elections

Or as soon as sovereign defaults start happening, which is inevitable

I hate this uncharted territory.

A domino effect of defaults scare the shit out of me. Nobody wins.

Bumping. I'm not an expert but I read a lot of econ rumblings.

Ask me things.

The broadest definition of "unemployment" puts it at

>I'm inclined to think that it will be closer to the depression given that Japan had room to move it's interest rates down
Japan already has negative interest rates though, only the rate paid on some bank reserves is >0%

>which the fed can't really do
The Fed funds rate is >0, i.e. higher than Japan

>boomers are basically done with their borrowing while millenicucks can't afford to
Very possible, the millenials don't seem to be borrowing much

>and the fact that Japan had no insane private and public sector debt like USA
Japan's debt to GDP ratio is about 2x higher than the US

There is a worldwide real estate bubble fueled by low interest rates in FED funds since 2008

You can bet your ass there is a shitstorm coming

But the BoC has maintained slightly higher rates than rhe Fed, yet Canada has a much more overheated housing market.

It's because of foreign capital flows not overnight rates.

I should add that
Doesn't include people not in the labor force (retirees etc.), if you include them it's very possible to get 25% or greater.

Canada is so unbelievably fucked because of all the fucking gook investors that buy up properties in Canada. They're likely doing it to launder money. I love it; when that bubble pops it will show how much of a retarded cunt Trudeau and all the other leftists are.

zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-29/china-sends-yellen-another-warning-fixes-yuan-lowest-over-five-years

an important article

322 million population in the USA
10% (probable unemployment) is 32 million.
24% (population under 18) 77 million
14.5% (65 and over) 46 million
(Retired and collecting social security) 43 million
(Disabled and collecting social security) 10.8 million

Idk man, it really doesn't look good. Granted, some of those categories aren't exclusive to each other, and may share people.

Can you imagine the Healthcare or insurance sectors taking a hit? Most of these recipients will be on medicare or medicaid, or if too young, on state coverage.

A downturn could mean real trouble.

Negative rates are probably not going to be effective, you can bring a horse to well of cheap money, but you can't make it borrow.

And I was talking about Japan 20 years ago when they had wiggle room to deal with their collapse. Not now under abenomics and their fucked situation where their central bank is the issuer of almost all gov debt.

Yeah, my point is that you can borrow money in USD at lower rates and invest it on Canadian real estate

All sources were quick Google including:

ssa.gov/oact/STATS/OASDIbenies.html

census.gov/quickfacts/

You could yes, but people don't do USD carry trades in a substantial enough number to drive prices vs just directly buying property.

>Is the bubble about to pop? Econbros help me out

It will pop if trump wins, and the economy will turn to hell, they did this same shit in Egypt when the non kosher candidate won.

It's always going to pop. With QE and rate hikes from near 0% interest, they get to pick when.

This is a good point! See You can of course include more people in the labor force (i.e. the denominator for calculating unemployment), and deciding where to draw the line is hard.

>Most of these recipients will be on medicare or medicaid, or if too young, on state coverage.
Yeah, any cuts to medicare/caid or social security would be very destabilizing, especially as they're almost directly passed through the system.

>A downturn could mean real trouble.
It could yeah, and any cuts would themselves be recessionary.

Only 1 post by OP....

>Negative rates are probably not going to be effective, you can bring a horse to well of cheap money, but you can't make it borrow.

100% agreed. It's a bad sign, and reflects very poorly on the future, when companies don't have any use for free money. This reflects either total unproductivity or future uncertainty, neither good.

>central bank is the issuer of almost all gov debt
I'm not sure it's quite that bad, but yeah Japan's weird. Check out how much of the stock market the BoJ now owns.

That's the problem though. We never make the cuts, and haven't paid on the principle in decades. We should have taken action when the debt started ballooning in relation to GDP.

If other nations lose faith in the dollar we won't have any choice but to cut.

Last year at the review they were talking about how it was inevitable to switch to negative interest rates. She was clearly dancing around it saying how they were focused on improving minority and female work force participation.

>It's because of foreign capital flows not overnight rates.
>Canada is so unbelievably fucked because of all the fucking gook investors that buy up properties in Canada. They're likely doing it to launder money. I love it; when that bubble pops it will show how much of a retarded cunt Trudeau and all the other leftists are.
no. there's data out there that's hard to fish out, but foreign money is about 3% of vancouver purchases.
it's canadians. we're literally this retarded.

we didn't get much of a correction in '08 because the gov't allowed 0% down, 40-year amortization mortgages after the crash.

we have the canadian mortgage and housing corp, which basically is publicly funded and provides banks insurance against mortgage default.
think fannie mae and freddie mac times 2.

>We should have taken action when the debt started ballooning in relation to GDP
Yeah we should've. Unfortunately we didn't and now there's a large underclass (blacks, hispanics etc) completely dependant.

The best way out is to accept a somewhat higher rate of inclation coupled with a freeze on spending growth.

>If other nations lose faith in the dollar
Won't happen, most other first-world countries are in a similar boat and aren't reserve currencies. USD is the last to go down.

>we won't have any choice but to cut
Yeah but at that point the financial system will be in chaos

Gonna happen sooner or later. Longer they delay it the worse it will be

>improving minority and female work force participation.
So tired of SJW trash
>dancing around it
Yeah next recession it's pretty likely

Hey look a kike

Oh interesting, I'd love to see the data! I don't have any hard evidence about foreign purchases desu. I've been looking for some evidence either way.

But yeah CMHC is fucked up, and worse is basically free money for the banks.

Does this mean I will be able to go to my bank, take out a $1000 loan and pay back $900?

>Hey look a kike
Nah, just work in the field. GTKRWN

Only if your bank is the Federal Reserve

>no. there's data out there that's hard to fish out, but foreign money is about 3% of Vancouver purchases.
WRONG
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-23/chinese-buy-one-third-of-vancouver-homes-national-bank-estimate

Fed will suddenly hike rates to make President Trump look bad.
Trump closes down Fed and arrests all the jews there.
Money printed at US Treasury only. Inflation stopped dead in its tracks.
America Becomes Great Again

>Does this mean I will be able to go to my bank, take out a $1000 loan and pay back $900?

Technically you take a loan out and the bank pays you interest on it. And you pay interest on any money you have in the bank.

But the first option will never happen

No, or at least not yet, but it means banks can over short periods of time. That lowers your borrowing cost, and if the overnight rate goes low enough than eventually yes.

read up on that estimate and the methodology
it was literally a couple guys writing on some napkins making up numbers
i'm as racist as they come, but you cucks will believe anything if it means you get to be racist

>Econbros help me out
We don't need a rate hike, in fact it's terrible for the economy. But we'll get one anyway, because Jews.

>"back of the envelope calculations" by National Bank of Canada.
lol i know some of those back-office guys personally
they're a shitshow

To be fair they want to get welfare recipients, aka minorities and single moms, on lower benefits and on full time so they get health benefits.

The country is running out of money so it makes sense to get the people on benefits on a private companies benefits. Even if the coverage and plans are garbage shit tier, it discredits them from govt benefits.

>If other nations lose faith in the dollar we won't have any choice but to cut.
>If
I've always heard this ominous warning, but no one has of yet explained to me what would actually prompt this to happen. If the multiple debt ceiling crises + Downgrading of the US's AAA rating over the past several years didn't do it just what the fuck actually would?

I have provided a source for my claim that I believe to be legitimate, but I can be convinced if you can provide a credible source for your claim. If you're unable to do so, then you're full of shit and can fuck off.

Is there any reliable data out there? It seems like there isn't enough to say either way.

To be fair thebarticle also cites an extrapolation of a survey.

Haha fair point, it's not all bad

AFAIK it would require the petrodollar to be replaced with another currency.

>To figure out what an equivalent purchase volume for buyers from China in Toronto and Vancouver might be, Routledge looked for “useful survey data from which we can draw reasonable hypotheses” and found it in a Financial Times multiple choice survey of 77 high net worth and affluent mainland Chinese individuals, “admittedly not a statistically significant sample size,” he acknowledged. The survey found that of those who purchased residential real estate outside China, 33.5 per cent had done so in the United States (mainly in New York, Los Angeles, and also San Francisco) while 11.7 per cent bought in Vancouver and 8.3 per cent in Toronto.

They admit that they can't even into statistics but the media runs with the story anyways because they're desperate to report something that people want to hear

Nothing would, USD's the currency of the largest economy, the world's reserve currency, and what the most important commodity (oil) is traded in.

Even if people wanted an alternative there's no orher currency that would fit the bill except maybe EUR

Agreed, except there has been recent news about competing reserve currencies being bought (euro, yuan, etc) and dollars being sold.

Not to mention the recent uptick in nations not falling for the petrodollar meme.

reuters.com/article/us-oil-iran-exclusive-idUSKCN0VE21S

theguardian.com/business/2003/feb/16/iraq.theeuro

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-30/imf-backs-yuan-in-reserve-currency-club-after-rejection-in-2010

money.cnn.com/2015/10/14/news/economy/us-treasury-debt-selloff-2015/

money.cnn.com/2016/05/16/news/economy/us-debt-dump-treasury/

You're a fucking idiot if you think they're gonna hike before the Presidential election

They've been talking hike for years now saying "I'm rly serious this time goys"

They won't fucking do it to risk going full Trumpsreich

If he wins they'll do it Q1 2017 so that dumb goyim blame Trump for an economic crash

If Clinton wins they'll do it Q2 2018 and cook up a boogerman to distract normie scum from Fed fuckery tanking the economy

Cap this

greaterfool.ca/2016/05/22/family-jewels/
and he's sourcing the vancouver real estate board who has plenty to gain from promoting the story that the chinese are buying everything

China produced nearly eight times more steel than any other nation in 2015
businessinsider.com.au/map-china-produced-nearly-eight-times-more-steel-than-any-other-nation-in-2015-2016-5

Why would anyone even bother having a personal savings or checking account if they go to negative interest rates?

I guess they could try to force the issue since so much banking is done online now. But so far prepaid cards are still a thing. I could just cash my check and buy one and pay my bills online with it. I can't see them outlawing or pushing out prepaid cards since the rumor is they get so much free money from them. People spend it and have like .38 cents left on it and just toss it in the trash since it's not worth it. All the people using them adds up. thats money the card managers get for free.

this has all been so that when the final blow comes, the system dies with no chance to reemerge.

you would be amazed how much effort went into seeing that this system dies and wealth dissolves with no hope to grow up again.

that only a new system can save us as the old one is failed and dead. the people never knowing it was engineered this way all along.

SDRs from the IMF aren't themselves reserves though. And yes some countries do sell (some) oil in other currencies, but not the largest producers.

As for treasuries, look how much those sellofs moved yields--practically none. No other country has anywhere near as liquid a market as the US, not even the Euro. And while that's not directly fx related you need something to park your money in while holding it (unless you're holding it at the fed)

>Nothing would, USD's the currency of the largest economy, the world's reserve currency, and what the most important commodity (oil) is traded in.

Careful with those words, its very much possible for the petrodollar to be replaced with something else. And there are countries out there right now trying.

>Why would anyone even bother having a personal savings or checking account if they go to negative interest rates?

The reason is to force people to spend their money as quickly as they get it to keep our consumer economy going.

It's really hard because the Chinese are money laundering, and Canada/banks know about it but look the other way. I'd say look for all the property owners with the last names Yang/Wang/Dang/Dong/Dilddly/Fong, and figure out which ones are foreign nationals, but they probably have shell companies and other tricks to hide their criminal activity.

I didn't ask you to criticize the Bloomberg article. I asked you to provide a better source that supports your view. It seems you are unable to do that. How can you POSSIBLY say that it's only 3% foreign money when you have nothing that supports that? Because you're retarded, thats why.

an oldfag Sup Forumsack appears

top tier post lad

They did hike once to about 0.25% back in December (which was widely see as a blunder after the fact).
nytimes.com/2015/12/17/business/economy/fed-interest-rates.html

I think a rate hike is probably in the cards this summer, but I still don't understand the value of it. Growth is still abysmal and inflation is still pretty anemic.

Yeah, Saddam and Gaddafi both tried a gold-for-oil trade system. For some reason their attempts failed.

Very interesting, thanks!

They were small fish, the problem will be when either A. A strong nation pulls it off, or B. a bunch of nations all dump the dollar at the same time, we cant bomb everyone at the same time.

>inflation is pretty anemic
It's really not, once you exclude energy (i.e. core PCE)

Will the crash be soon enough to escape running up my credit cards?

While I agree about liquidity, I'm suggesting that the liquidity is entirely dependent on faith in the dollar. If the current trend is to sell more oil in Euros, it will eventually become less profitable to hold dollars. Speculation will inevitably cause selloffs if there's instability in the dollar.

I'm not suggesting it will happen, merely seeing a trend that could cause some real problems if it continues. If BRICS and OPEC decide on euro or yuan, it's ogre for the stable dollar.

>makes claim that chinese are buying vancouver and sources shit on a napkin
>i show him it's actually shit on a napkin
"hurr durr you need to prove it's NOT the chinese buying!"

Outside of the US(largest oil producer), Saudi Arabia is the only one that would have a material impact on petrodollars. Russia may switch to the ruble, but China and Canada won't.

In any case, even if the petrodollar were to be totally replaced, it would only have a moderate impact and wouldn't tangibly affect USD's reserve status.

No

They won't fucking do it m8

5 seconds in google reminds us how they've been talking about getting srs for literal years and fuck all has happened

reuters.com/article/us-economy-poll-usa-idUSKBN0GD18I20140813

Its at the very least not happening until after the election, the question becomes thereafter when it happens and how its framed after

neo/pol/ a shit

rarely find actual threads anymore, mostly teenagers other and underage bands memeing WOW MAKES U THINK WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS PRAISE KEK HOW CAN THEY EVEN COMPETE

UK and EU urged to act on Chinese steel dumping after US raises duty on imports

Unions say Britain and EU must ‘stop treading on egg shells’ and follow lead of US which has raised tariffs to 522%

Britain’s steel trade body and unions have called on the UK and the EU to take urgent action to stop Chinese steel dumping, after the US government increased tariffs to more than 500%.

In an escalation of the trade spat, the US has raised its tariffs on imports of cold rolled steel from China to 522% from 266%, citing a refusal to cooperate with anti-dumping investigations. By comparison, the EU has imposed provisional tariffs on China of 16% for cold rolled steel, which is used to manufacture cars and appliances and in construction.

The UK is one of 14 countries that have been blocking EU plans to impose tougher sanctions on cheap Chinese steel imports. Sajid Javid, the business secretary, has said it would not be right for the EU to scrap regulations known as the “lesser duty rule”, which some countries want to end in order to allow higher tariffs on Chinese steel.

Gareth Stace, director of UK Steel, welcomed the US move. He said: “The United States has quickly identified the problem with China dumping steel and imposed effective and robust trade barriers. The EU has been slower and the result is we’re still haggling over tariffs and action to prevent unfairly traded Chinese steel. Britain and the EU need to stop treading on egg shells and take decisive action following America’s impressive lead.”

A spokesman for the Community trade union said that unfairly traded Chinese steel was still hurting UK and European steel producers.

theguardian.com/business/2016/may/18/uk-and-eu-urged-to-act-on-chinese-steel-dumping-after-us-hikes-duty-on-imports

But its the current year...