/prod/ - production general

should i try and experiment the Waves plugins, or im not losing anything using just the Slate ones

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/j4mivyk1?token=47eeef56ab98007c3234b4778b91dd5b
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria
clyp.it/mxusjfsv?token=86b5b5cb772b070c69e8a7b0ed2ef2f1
clyp.it/hmlxnn4z
clyp.it/oky5aysw
clyp.it/uy4sjvx2
clyp.it/i0lnulhh
youtu.be/Uu2hXlBqTzE
clyp.it/cur1ayzq
clyp.it/trdjncvj
clyp.it/1zbewa0j
clyp.it/sxo2v0cz
clyp.it/v2debrwy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

r8
clyp.it/j4mivyk1?token=47eeef56ab98007c3234b4778b91dd5b

How do I 'produce' these songs (mic placement, tricks, post production) etc to make them sound better quality? Using a blue yeti black model.

onlineband.bandcamp.com

please let me mix from the raw tracks

Email? You can mess around with them and see what you come up with.

samuel.cfaria at gmail

>How do I 'produce' these songs (mic placement, tricks, post production) etc to make them sound better quality?
are you going to re-record these songs?
id say mic it closely. track voice and guitar separately if you cant record two mics at once. experiment with double tracking

this isn't bad, you should probably consider leaving your house and linking up with someone who runs a studio. That feedback is cancer inducing

nevermind

what

please let me mix your stuff anyone itt

this is me

you kick feels a little too heady, maybe swap it out for another one with a little more punch and less foot noise. Also your snare/clap are pretty lost in the mix

Sent. I might, idk.

I think that will be a good idea when I get better on the guitar and singing.

youre solid at mixing instruments, sounds like the vocals sit a little too low though. How long you been making music?

>I think that will be a good idea when I get better on the guitar and singing.

sounds like an excuse to me f a m

been recording for exactly one year

don't you have any of your own stuff to mix, samuel?

It's not an excuse. I would be embarrassed asking someone to spend their time recording me when I can only play a couple of chords and can barely sing.

try waves they are pretty good but if you ever buy dont pay unless they are on sale

no and im tired of recording covers

also thanks
im finding it harder to get the vocals' volume right. on other song i left them too loud

Ambient track I'm working on, still very much in its early phase but would love to hear some thoughts
clyp.it/mxusjfsv?token=86b5b5cb772b070c69e8a7b0ed2ef2f1

>waves
>slate
why only the two worst plugin manufacturers out there?

then write something

Cool noises

who do you think is good

plugin alliance
fab filter
soundtoys
empirical labs
flux
dmg audio
sonnox

there's tons, mate. don't limit yourself by only looking at what sounds all 'analog' and distorted and puts ugliest user interface on codebase from 2002

Fabfilter or Izotope shit

thanks i have soundtoys and i really do like them

soundtoys is fine

whats the purpose of using external plugins if it doesnt emulate analog
the slate stuff are doing me good yet

I hope you guys are at least self aware. Give it up, you aren't going to be that one exception of Soundcloud musicians who make it big.

some stuff i just did with rhodes synth, this theme/any of these melodies worth building on?

clyp.it/hmlxnn4z

its just a hobby user

this desu

Just face it, you'll never be famous.

You aren't special, no matter what your mommy tells you when you finish showing her ur shitty track and she has to lie to stop you from killing yourself.

You will never be a rockstar, you will never pioneer into new genres, you will never get the cars, the money, the women, or the attention.

You will never have young girls getting wet when they are in your mere presence.

But it's not like you had a chance to begin with? Martin Garrix went to an elite school of musicianship and has been producing for over 10 years, and he's only 20. At 18 he was touring the world, fucking bitches and getting money for producing child's play, whilst you fail to produce a musically coherent 4 bar loop.

There are 1000's of producers like this, child prodigies just itching for a chance to show off their amazing work, and you honestly think you stood a chance? No, you don't even have the intellect required to be a producer, so even if you "grind"(cringe) you will get no where and will never finish anything.

By all means, keep feeding money to Native instruments and cymatics, but keep in mind your going to have to work 9-5 for the rest of your life, and probably put in a few extra hours a week to pay back your debts.

>inb4 Martin Garrix is bad.
No, as he gets more pussy than you and i'd prefer to listen to his shit over anything you have the courage to upload and call "music")

>inb4 "I just do it 4 fun xD"
You don't, stop lying to yourself. You secretly want to prove everyone wrong, but think people can't see through your facade.

Why do you do it though? To impress all those old high school peers? Just a hail mary that this will get you your own wikipedia page some day?

Take advice from someone whose been through it only to realize the truth. Give it up.

If you really think making music is about getting cars, money, women and attention I'm sorry to break it to you but I think you're legitimately a little bit retarded

Stop trying to force your poor justification for giving up something you love on other people dude, go be salty in a bar with the other old dudes who gave up

If you weren't retarded you would have realized you can't make music at this point. Real musicians don't browse /prod/ for advice on their Fruity Loops made uncompleted song made with pirated effects.

I'm trying to help you user. I want it to be easier on you when you realize that "salty old dude" was right.

I'm pretty comfortable with my abilities because I'm not an anxious fuckboi looking to prove myself, just thought I could help someone here out instead the thread is full of people who are dead inside lol.

I hope you have a nice day :)

what's the point in doing something if you aren't making other people's lives better? Martin Garrix may make shitty pop EDM, but millions of people relate to his music, and that is the only thing that matters.

-more/better features (linear phase, infinite bands, spectrograph, m/s processing, dynamic times that analog can't have, lookahead, trims, parallel blend, oversampling, ...) or even completely new concepts
-better user interface, better/more exact control. better metering, faster workflow
-lighter cpu usage, faster bounces, more instances

>that projection

You can strive to make the best music you can without having a big ego about it or aiming to be rich and famous.

This is a thoroughly retarded post, honestly. It's stupid in every possible way.

what is linear phase
reaeq has infinite bands
i dont need that my slate mix rack does all that

I sincerely doubt this thread is filled with people who simply want to be famous. Some people just want to make a living doing what they love to do. Most people are perfectly content being just OK

it's okay if you think slate is the be-all-end-all and you don't actually want to try something new and better
but then don't ask

linear phase is something you can only do with FIR filters; they don't delay the signal at any frequency, but they're acausal and hence introduce pre-echo, and some latency if they're implemented in real time. analog or IIR filters are minimum phase; they introduce a frequency-dependent delay but no pre-echo

ok i should have specified my question to analog plugins

>analog plugins
>analog
>plugin

ok ok I'll stop

in terms of modeling?
slate is probably the worst, hell empirical labs even got out of their way to break their contract with them so they can release their own distressor (arousor) plugin because they think slate's sucks
if you want really want something that models closely the order is UAD - PA maag/spl/elysia - waves - slate

there's a lot of stuff that still partially models analog behaviour but goes way past the restrictions of just what the analog device would do, almost all plugins do somehow

but steven slate looks like a chad and talks smart

hows this mix? any fucked up frequency?
clyp.it/oky5aysw

im really new is this a decent sounding hook, like is the comp and mix alright or nah

clyp.it/uy4sjvx2

Is there any particular reason mastered songs sound better than raw shits?

what's the fucking key?

yes because mastering is an effort to make it sound better

The only people who I'd say give up to is those with no musical talent. If you know the basics of a guitar or piano and love music, keep trying but if you don't, you have no business producing.

>clyp.it/hmlxnn4z

I like this, could be a solid track for sure. Very nostalgic feel for me.

clyp.it/i0lnulhh
Here's a track I just finished a few days ago, feedback on the mix?

Do real musicians make music? Because that's what most people in these threads do

Reminds me of HOME a bit

I want to start creating electronic music and i've got $500, what should I get?

This is such a tryhard post, everyone has to start somewhere you sperg. Maybe some people actually like fucking generating creative output without needing to make money off of it

Probably a MIDI controller that can hook up to a DAW. Maybe a MIDI interface as well unless the controller has USB support. Though, what kind of electronic music are you interested in? Playing synthesizers? Sampling?

pirate the daw and instruments and use the money to buy monitors interface and midi keyboard

or use reaper f a m

hit too close to home?

yea reaper is unlimited demo i tried it but i dont really like it

I love kraftwerk/YMO era synthpop and I'd want to try my hand at that but I've recently gotten into sampling/hip hop.
I guess i'll get a MIDI and maybe try reaper. I had no fucking clue what I was doing last time though.

Nah desu I I've been playing out in front of people for years and I can whenever I want. But I always choose my career over music because I don't want to be a poorfag and I'm not going to compromise the joy of making something I'm proud of for its own sake. Fuck off.

read the manual and watch the videos on the website reaper is a good daw but it is not for me

You can also give things a shot without a controller, but it'll help a lot. Basically, you will want to learn about placing notes and building patterns. With that too, you definitely want to look into both how to work with recordings (samples, wav files, etc) as well as virtual instruments. The former will be great for helping you to build rhythms and to incorporate recordings later on, but the latter will allow you to work with softsynths and the like, which will be where your melodies will come from

I even made a vid and shiet edition
youtu.be/Uu2hXlBqTzE

this is cool what did you use to make thsi

Ableton Live
The only sample is the hi hats. Everything else is made by tweaking some presents or making my own synthesis with Operator.
Tons of saturation + subtle automations of reverb and delay.
Many nights unable to sleep + most days lost by daydreaming without getting out of bed.

Here's a thing I'm doing where I'm really just trying to fuck around with the melody and harmony. Haven't mixed anything really, and it's not super polished. Just messing around with some ideas.

clyp.it/cur1ayzq

Welcome to ii-V-I hell, let me know if you have suggestions

Aw shit that's the old link, please ignore

clyp.it/trdjncvj

Thoughts on this /prod/ ?

clyp.it/1zbewa0j

Sounds kinda happy hardcore-y, similar to lone.
Around 0:41, you got out of key also.

Yeah I know, it's not the smoothest modulation. Honestly was intentional though.

So I tried searching for a MIDI controller but it's all so confusing.
Are there any decent non meme tier ones in that price range? Do I need a full/half sized keyboard?

Kick is too heavy for me, can try and dip around 200-300 hz and high pass it if you haven't already. Overall a lot of snazz but no real track or song here, I suppose that's house

Stop being a handkercheif and google it all

Oh sorry will do ):

lol what a spaz

Okay, here's a new version that I think is slightly better. I'm off to work now.
clyp.it/sxo2v0cz

lol this guy posts this pasta every time someone talks about 'making it'

there's hardly any money in music compared to what it used to be like so thinking about making it in the classic sense is not based in reality, if you listen to electronic music thats in any way alternative you can guarantee many of those artists don't make a lot of money and a lot of them have dayjobs

'making it' in electronic music is essentially the same as becoming a normie meme now which is incredibly rare

big studios suck, unless you record a classical orchestra

being a musician sucks nowadays

This is why I say do something new, you don't want to be looking back and see how you changed your style with the current trend. Ie don't make trap, make what trap could become or the opposite of it

People that only listen to trap and EDM are the cancer of /prod/ and probably underage. Like people who only listen to one genre and turn up their nose at everything else. They wouldn't even know what they're hearing if it went outside meme yoof genres so they shouldn't be offering 'advice'.

Bump, and its not trap btw.

I'm not saying this to be mean or elitist but you're taking the piss. Pease at least read a guide to basic audio concepts before you post something in a production thread

You've clearly just pushed up the faders on everything so it clips and haven't even used a limiter on the master buss. The level of the ride cymbal is silly and its clipping, sounds like a needle getting poked in your ear. It sounds like the drums are way louder than everything else and the vocals sound like a DJ interrupting music because you've made them so much louder than the rest of the music. There's reverb or a room sound on the other parts but the vocals are completely dry which makes them sound totally seperate.

everything here was mixed with Slate DigitalĀ® vsts and ReaperĀ® native plugins.

I'm extremely unsure about this. Do I drop it?
clyp.it/v2debrwy

why do you call yourself 'i make bad music'

are you a 14 year old girl or something

I go by a different name if I actually release anything. But I took everything down a few days ago so that doesn't matter I guess. And it's because I've never made anything good in my life.

>hows this mix? any fucked up frequency?
>clyp.it/oky5aysw

Sounds fine

>clyp.it/uy4sjvx2

Haha this is kinda odd. It doesn't really make sense theory-wise but
I don't think it's bad desu.

>clyp.it/1zbewa0j
Your balance is kinda off

>clyp.it/v2debrwy

Some key issues. The mix is solid though

post traps

that attitude isn't helping you to be a better artist

IMO the drums are too canned sounding, gated reverb snare paired with the NIN-esque elements makes it sound cheesy.

The rhythm of the kick at that tempo is plodding and lame. There's a boomy drone at about 230hz in the piano that you should cut also. In fact it sounds like there's a plastic pot sound in the snare around 230hz which makes me think you've boosted 230 on the master EQ so check that