Free Will is an illusion

Free Will is an illusion.

>discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook
youtu.be/JCXUU-i6Emg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Each person has predetermined actions based on the reward system within our brains?

It makes sense that Free Will is one of humanities final illusions to penetrate since it's probably the most convincing illusion about our world that we have.

*humanity's

The evolutionists think we came from monkeys. What a bunch of morans.

>morans

Bullshit, I saw it in theaters.

However what drives the notion of free will? Do we as humans simply act upon dopamine, and simple reward systems? Is this something we evolutionary develop, or is it a learned trait through societal conditioning etc?

umm...

determinist theory ftw- nothing makes me feel better about my failures then consoling notion that it could have panned out no other way

fucking lol

everything is a falling domino chain

Read the Ethics by this guy, he'll cheer you up.

Who's the author?

no. it's every particle in the universe, which includes all the chemicals in your brain.

Fuck, you're hitting the nostalgia again, back in school we had those books where you had the "choice" to determine the outcomes. Totally forgot what they were called...

filename dippy

lies fostered by religion. religions all want you to think that there is a way to be and they must tell you how to be when in reality, you can't actually change your destiny at all.

goosebumps had that shit- im sure a few others did as well

>tfw I've seen things during an acid trip that didn't happen for about 2 years

ama

Thanks brah

to add, that doesn't mean that there is no god. in fact, it means that there must be a god since we live in a recording but it has an entirely different purpose than what religions say.

Oh shiet, it was Goosebumps, thanks user

Choose your own adventure novels.

LSD is one helluva drug

more generally, this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook

i gotchu dawg

bookfairs were that jam back in the day

What is this image supposed to convey?

It is curious that the creation of the universe would mechanically lead itself to itself posting on image boards about whether or not it's pure mechanism that led to this situation. In other words, pray tell, OP, what led you to decide to post this?

It's true. Everything was determined at the moment of the big bang. With an infinitely powerful supercomputer, you could simulate the big bang, and extrapolate out to this exact moment.

It's like a seed in a procedurally generated game, but much more complex. Same seed, same world.

But even if it's true and you can't do anything about it, why bother worrying? Whether it's free will or predetermined, there's only one thing to do: try to live your life to the best according to your character.
If it's predetermined then there's nothing to discuss, and if there is free will, you did good.

fallout 4, an npc that could see the future if you gave her drugs

My programming.

existentialism in a nutshell

more or less had this epiphany when i was tripping 10 years ago

That man is a hack pseudo intellectual bullshitter who contradicts himself constantly.
And his pod cast? "Waking Up"? More like fucking "Dozing Off".

fuck man, had a similar epiphany shortly after my LSD trip, I find it strange that LSD has the common generalities in it's experiences.

You didn't play the game. You lost.

That's what it conveys, bring me some Jet.

If you're on Ben's side in the debate on Bill's show then you're a retard.

I have the choice to do drugs and throw my life away as much as I have the power to make the right decisions and have rich and fulfilling life. Is that not free will

So you're a passive observer of your own actions? Because uh that's usually considered a symptom of dissociative disorders.
I mean, I'll stop beating around the bush:
All people are doing in this thread is, taking their subjectivity for granted, and using it to learn theories of objectivity, which they then backfill to their subjectivity in order to deny that subjectivity, thereby refuting the very ground on which they attempted to refute free will. Nowadays, this is something that people do because they use computers but don't understand them, as you've shown by referring to your subjectivity as "programming."

No I'm not I just refuse to post pictures of Sam Harris because he's an idiot

it's the most amazing part of the hallucinogenic experience- literally being on the same wavelength of everyone who is tripping or has tripped before

i can't tell you how many times my friends and i have said one word and the other party finished their sentence while tripping. i don't even believe in shit like that.. it's incredible

He supports Hillary... Can't be that smart.

It seems like you're equivocating on subjectivity and experience, and that's why you think you're making sense.

Read what you wrote again and look for where you make the switch.

He's not an idiot. He has a PhD in neuroscience. You're just insecure when people are right and you are wrong. Grow up.

He doesn't support her, he just thinks Trump was the greater disaster of the two.

He was right.

Dude, no. He was a fucking real whale. CGI was fucking shit in 1993, faggot.

Not Opie, but I think Hilary's policy's would have completely worse.

Take away all the public media shaming that's being done to Trump, analyze his current increases to employment, and tax increases to the rich, he seems like a decent guy. Sure he may be a "Type A" personality, but his tax suggestions to have the lower-middle class not owe any income taxes is pretty sweet.

Subjectivity means first-personal experience. It's called that because it refers to there being a subject, someone that's active, a perspective that's being taken.

Actually, I never used any drugs, and I don't even know when exactly I came to this conclusion, I just did over time. But considering yours and these guys':
posts, maybe I should try tripping once myself. Might find even more truth to the world.

>> Does drugs
>> Guaranteed shit life
>> Doesn’t do drugs
>> Guaranteed “rich and fulfilling life”
Good luck with that.

I will say this, whatever you're searching for, you will find. If not, a door will open leading you to the "truth" you seek. It's one helluva adventure.

I also advocate that everyone try a psychedelic once in their life, with the right intent of course.

I was once in a similar position as you user, which then lead me to try psych's. Just by speaking about it makes me a bit excited to try again.

i would never advocate the use of any drug, except hallucinogens

it is beyond eye-opening. if you want to explore the power and mystery of your mind, take the plunge.

be warned though: i have felt no greater fear or discomfort than a trip gone wrong. still absolutely worth it- without a doubt tripping changed me as a person for the better

I've been entertaining the thought of trying good one in the right environment with the right people taking care of me. Maybe I'll have the chance one day.

From what the tiny (as I call them) whisper trolls believe, if I didn’t have free will the being which willed this would be either insane or a moron.
Praise the sun.

I stopped doing drugs and I have a ton of my money saved and don't have to worry about going to jail or really anything. So thanks faggot

youtu.be/JCXUU-i6Emg

I just suggest you either research a bit on other forums about people's experiences, just so you're not "surprised". Although, if it's your thing, then simply have a comfortable set, and setting. Clear any problems personally before tripping, and set anywhere from 72-48 hours. I say 72 as a day before tripping to completely be relaxed, and an entire day to trip itself, and an additional 24 to come down/internalize the trip. Also, bring some things to do if you're artistic, good positive music, anything which may comfort you.

After tripping, it could take anywhere from days to months to full internalize/integrate the trip. I'm currently still trying to integrate the lessons in everyday life. Also I suggest not doing any other substances, for me cannabis simply clouded the trip, but other's like using it.

Well you're either equivocating or your separating objectivity from experience for some reason.

I think in either case you're wrong.

Couldn't have said it any better, in all honesty there is nothing to fear after having gone through a "bad trip". I don't even like calling it that as it's a great learning experience in itself, no different than a "good trip", it's all one in my opinion.

I see. A good friend of mine knows a good deal about them and he suggested the same. Of course I would go for something that's okay to use and with proper precautions.
But thanks for the advice, anons!

I think you’re missing the point.
Have you ever considered someone did drugs and have a great life ?
Have you ever considered someone didn’t do drugs and had a shit life ?
Just because you had a favourable experience doesn’t mean everyone else has.

solid advice

though even reading through user experiences, there is no preparing yourself for what you will go through. it's inexplicable to people who have never tried it, and no explanation is necessary between those who have.

also, being outside makes it much more enjoyable. and on a personal note: so many people say don't trip alone, but all of my best trips have been far removed from the anxiety of interacting with other people. and i'm super extroverted

i nearly choked on pita bread

> Infinite
The word used by ignorants... Just because your brain can't catch up with, it does not mean that has no limit

ya man- my worst trips have taught me so much about myself and the people around me. hard lessons to learn but i am grateful i learned them all the same

he who learns must suffer occasionally

On the contrary: every single conceivable decision you can make has you then split off into a separate new universe. There is an infinite number of versions of you in an infinite number of universes... all making different decisions.

Believe in Christianity? Then that's what happens to you when you die. An atheist? You go to the worms or become stardust. Believe in reincarnation? Then a new incarnation is what's next for you.

Free will is everywhere.

Thanks Satre, but you're wrong.

Will is an illusion is a criminal coasting on his fame. Keep that bastard locked up

i love multi-verse theory and solipsistic approaches to existence, but in this context i can't agree with you

it's not as simple as just believing

If determinism is true then infinite universes? I don't know if that's necessary.

Why would what I believe affect what happens to my after I die? How can anything happen to me after I die?

Why does any of that let you say: "Free will is everywhere." ???

We know its true but we can't admit it because retards will use it as an excuse to not take responisibility for anything.

Except even in a deterministic world determinism is not a good excuse for anything.

You're an idiot
this guy actually knows what he's talking about

Alright faggots. I’ve been stewing over having a way to prove free will ever sense last summer and a long conversation I had with a friend where he questioned me believing in free will. I think I’ve come up with a way explain how we do have few will. It’s not an argument to its proof per day but an example of how it can be taken away.
Humans can be forced and coerced to do actions against their will. You can threaten future violence against someone to extort money from them as an example. You can not threaten a cow with violence to make it produce more milk for you. This is an absolute difference between mankind and pretty much all other animals and any other creatures and inorganic things in existence so far as we know. I personally believe this is proof of free will as best as we can understand it. Falling into predeterminism or solipsism are mental imbalances and corrupted views of the world also of you look into that in depth

who is will and why cant we free him

however you could argue that it's a predetermined thing with humans given you know the reaction which they will take...

Well if the universe is sold old that it forgot what the hell it even started for....this could happen

So why do people quit smoking?

Determinism means that I don't have regrets.

I doubt that. With enough trauma you could get some fathers to rape/kill their daughters as example. That’s not really a predictable reaction and you couldn’t ever guess what that’s persons reaction would be

"so old"

Or any personal responsibility for yourself or your actions. Try that excuse in court or any personal interaction

being self-aware is not proof of the existence of free will, it's just a more complicated mode of existence

Each action has a specific reaction. If each reaction is based solely on a something's physical body, his chemicals that signal stress, pain, and memory will cause a specific reaction.

You may threaten someone, but their reaction solely caused by your threat and their situation.
The argument is that there is no "will" in these situations, you are merely reacting to external forces which are also reacting.

I think if you think that you can make decisions, then you have free will

We all inherently understand people are responsible for their actions as I can’t see anyone accepting a predetermined action as an excuse for some sort of misdeed. Ask yourselves if someone tryed that excuse with you after doing something shitty if you would accept that. If people start buying into that I’m going on a rape and bank robbery spree and claim it was just destiny so deal with it lol

But what are those decisions based on? Factors outside of your control like your birth, your personality, your household, your morals, your situation, all of which are out of control.

well as long as you think you are making them. That would be the key

that's a very subjective way to approach the issue, and i agree with it to a certain extent- but if you were bound to the same course no matter what you thought, would that /really/ be free will?

for example if you get hit by a car and get knocked out you can't make descisions. So if you were to say, get hit by a car and then decide while you are knocked out to cut your own dick off....then i would say you aren't acting with free will. basically free will is the only way to think about it. people who think "oh well at least this is what was supposed to happen to me are just lazy

Yeah just because it's not my fault doesn't mean i shouldn't be prosecuted for a crime. Just because Frankenstein's monster killed a family because of the abuse humans gave to him, it doesn't mean that Frankenstein's monster still deserves to live.

Top kek

Illusions ARE free will

Well i have to poop but that doesn't mean i can't decide when i do it.

and yes it would be. If i give you a banana and tell you its a banana and you believe me and eat it. you are happy for the rest of your life knowing you ate a banana.

really the banana was just semen.

but you chose to eat the banana

Self aware is not the same as having free will that can be taken away. Moulds and plants are self aware in a very basic sense

Right hand wrong hand path. For every action there is a reaction

animals can definitely be coerced- they just operate on a more basic form of communication. territorial dominance and fighting over mates is a perfect example

basically op, if you are curious enough to ask this question....then you have free will