Whats the draw of these Dario Argento movies? I watched most of this last night. It was very stupid...

Whats the draw of these Dario Argento movies? I watched most of this last night. It was very stupid. I can see gay men liking it.

Is that what these movies are? Gay man horror movies?
I had a friend who's girlfriend was always going on about how cool these Argento movies are. He became gay. Coincidence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i6L9Cbs0m_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Whats the draw of these Dario Argento movies? I watched most of this last night. It was very stupid. I can see gay men liking it.

You're very stupid

numale

I guess that makes sense that they would be a thing for numales, they're hyped in artsy mags/articles.

I think the music is where black metal bands got their vocal ideas from, black metal is very numale too.

They are calling you a numale

I liked Suspiria. The music and the colourful sets were really cool. Plot was meh.

They're all about the sensual: music, costumes, sets, cinematography, etc. Think of Suspiria as a music video for its soundtrack, rather than as a conventional narrative film.

This is legit one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
I don't know how people think it's actually good. The whole thing is ADR'd with voice actors, the sets are cardboard, the plot is non-sensical.

You can only watch this movie to laugh at it.

Thats what everyone always says...

b-but its got really neat colors!

who the fuck gives a shit they put gels over some lights and sprinkled them through the sets

the first 15 minutes is cool and then its the dumbest movie ever

final boss is a witch sleeping in a bed

on no that qt3.14 has found me, im going to be invisible now! haha! but she can still see me kinda! Ill just sit here...
she stabs me in the neck! oh no! and all the witches die. the end.
we had such pretty colors in this movie 10/10

Same. For such a sparse plot, I found the movie quite engaging.

If this thread isn't bait then Sup Forums is truly dead. Faggots, numales & cucks have ruined everything.

If it is bait then 6/10 I had to reply.

Holy shit you're dumb

Something is wrong with you

its one of those movies that everyone says its amazing, but no one knows why, and no one actually thinks its very good, but loudmouths who get off on parroting artsy fartsy bullshit they read in the new yorker will go on about its 'neat colors' and how Justice sampled Goblin a lot.

truly a movie for numales.

it's really just the atmosphere that everyone likes, not the story

It's amazing because every murder is a masterpiece and because the film is insane in every single department and yet manages to stay coherent through the whole thing. If you watch that film for the story you're a huge tard for many reasons.

It's like you're critizising a Picasso painting because 'everyone who likes it just says it has nice colors and shapes!'

>watching films for the "plot"

When will this meme die and when will these people go back to where they came from?

I bet you couldn't describe one thing in any of argentos movies without googling them

argento movies are the equivalent of motorhead
a tshirt band that no one listens to but they say that they do, and just like to pretend because they have a cool logo that looks badass on a tshirt

argento movies are pure hipster hype trash

>give reasons why Suspiria is a masterpiece
>lol you googled that shit

It's not as if Suspiria has been sitting in my top 10 for more than a decade and I've seen it many times.

The posting quality on this board is lower than the usual yt comment.

>argento movies are pure hipster hype trash

You need to just shut up and die desu. Extermination.

Of all the Argento movies, I liked Opera the best.

Opera was great, but the ending sucked. That apartment scene was dope. I still think Suspiria and Profondo Rosso were his best though.

only fags like Dario Argento movies

All the Walking Dead plebs from Reddit are here to shit up the board.

Usually they have better taste

bAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(reddits top horror movies post)

While the giallo/slasher film had been around for a decade, Argento helped modernize the concept in the present day/big cities (Fulci, Bava tended to go rural with their giallo films while Argento was always big city lights setting-wise) as the destination, along with the idea that the kills are over the top and gruesome as far as murders being set pieces the rest of the film are built around.

His Animal Trilogy, plus Deep Red and to a lesser extent Suspiria, basically took the giallo/slasher formula and finalized the formula. Hollywood took note and then basically mass marketed the giallo in the US as the slasher, though replacing the idle rich characters that embodied the giallo, in favor of more relatable teen characters.

As for Suspiria, it's a gothic film with atmosphere and bright colors, back when such shit was not common in horror films. It also features some of the best kill sequences in Argento's filmography and the subsequent butchery it suffered in the US (the first murder sequence was HEAVILY cut) caused it to become legendary due to the fact that, for nearly 10-12 years, you could only see the uncut version of the opening kill via a Dario Argento documentary that was put out by fans in the US that was a "best of" reel of all of the cut scenes

>26 points

So 26 people liked it? Let's take a screencap of how many upvotes Walking Dead has on there right now.

As a big horror fan, I feel that I should have seen my fair share of Italian horror and gialli, but find 80-90% of them a waste of time. There are a precious few where the visuals, gore and music make slogging through the awful dialogue, acting and overdubbing with it.

I feel the same about every GdT film post Blade II. Crimson Peak was a bore.

>with it.
I meant
>worth it.

I like how he directed his own daughter through a sex scene. Truly kino.

I hope you die.

>black metal
>nu male
kek

when you dont get a criticaly acclaimed film like this. wait a day and watch it again after a few large glasses of red wine. and pay close attention....you'll get it

argento films are masterworks of atmosphere and subdued surrealism(barring the gore ofc)
the disjointed plots and awkward dialogue just further accentuate their dreamlike nature
inferno is a masterpiece

Argento is Bava with absolutely none of the capability to occasionally poke fun at himself. Where Bava and Fulci are interested in the mechanics of the venus fly trap, it is Argento's absolute obsession, to the point that he doesn't have enough perspective to-- as Bava and Fulci could-- step back and remember that the characters are why you give a shit. He's Italy's Cronenberg, too ensconced in Fellini to know shit from shinola. Suspiria, a clockwork movie, builds to the revelation that for all intents and purposes the film is a clock. I'm sorry, but if I want to watch a clock, I can sit at home in a comfortable chair and enjoy the rhythm of the second hand. It's good literature, a good mystery, but as a giallo it is piss-poor, as a horror film a bore, and as a thriller too few and far between.

>Whats the draw of these Dario Argento movies?

literally everything you fucking pleb

now fuck off back to plebbit

It's an interesting film and the visuals are top-tier, but the overdubbing almost makes it unwatchable for me. Fuckin Italians and their shit overdubbing.

>the characters are why you give a shit
They aren't, the visuals are why you give a shit.

OMG this. Go read fuckin drama novels if you want plot

>implying I'm not watching The House By The Cemetery for the full combination of Ed Hopper-gone-bizarre paintings, neo-Bach electronic soundtrack, Freudian underplay of characters, the full-on dreamlike exploitation of ADR'd diagetics, textbook-setting combinations of each, and a general non-reliance on building set-pieces with preference to using, for the most part, what's native to the room already
>being such a pure visual aesthete you can't into complete package
go back to the It Follows IMDb board, pleb

>he doesn't appreciate the filone of work suspiria is a part of

>i dislike it
>therefore it is bad
when will this meme die

>del taco is for the intelligent types
is that the bizarro world?

Hello Sup Forumseddit

no, it's the gaming generation

>Del Taco is friend with Kojima
>Kojima is for smart people
>Del Taco is for smart people too

the only people that listens to black metal is hipsters aka numales

I disagree with that assessment that Argento can't poke fun at himself.

The main male lead in Opera is a stand-in for Argento and the film is a meta joke about his own failed experience making an opera (he was approached after doing the Animal trilogy about putting together a production for one of Italy's top opera houses, who pulled the offer when Argeno sent them an outline for a modernized production of a piece; the opera house wanted a traditional/retro opera not a new fangled modernization style piece from Argento).

Similarly, Tenebre was him satirizing himself and the giallo genre via the plot point of the detective who mocks the idea of letting a mystery writer solve the case as well as him calling out/mocking SJWs and trendysexuals who upon discovering feminism find everything evil and who end up in loveless same sex relationships with daddy's money lesbians

The dub of Suspiria is actually decent. Especially when it comes to the dubbers using less silly dialogue for the Black Queen at the end (the Italian dialogue is pretty silly and kill the mood)

Suspiria was the only decent one of the three sisters, but even then only because of the atmosphere. I don't really understand the appeal of the Giallo movement in general.

That's true. Picasso is garbage.

Giallo films are basically edgier slasher films, mythologized to be better than they actually are, by horror fans who grew up only knowing the censored versions that were released during the age of VHS. Or from Fangoria, who hyped a lot of films that did not get US release at all (Don't Torture a Duckling, Lisa and the Devil, or Inferno, which was released in 1980 but didn't see a US release until around 1987).

>criticizing a storytelling medium for having bad story

This.

Giallo fans and European horror fags, are horror fans from the 1980s and 1990s who grew up reading Fangoria and other horror mags, who hyped up Argento, Bava, Fulci and other European horror directors and their works as the horror world's version of Citizen Kane.

A lot of giallo films were heavily censored for US release and many fell out of print and never got re-released. Case in point, Opera had a super low production run for it's US release on home video; which led to the urban legend that spread for ages online, that the film never had a US release at all. Similarly, The Beyond's original US release (Seven Doors of Death) had two production runs that sold out, making the film impossible to find.

The censorship and lack of availability made a lot of these films gain legendary status amongst horror hounds as far as being "lost masterpieces".

Suspiria arguably isn't really a giallo, it's got the black gloved killer but it's more of a full on supernatural horror film. Stuff like Deep Red and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage are better examples of gialli. Gialli are basically just Italian psychological thrillers.

Bava legit is a master director, his films are hardly perfect - no amount of directorial skill can make low budget Italian actors better but his technical abilities are unfucking believable. He only could afford a dolly on his FIRST film and used a red wagon for all his tracking shots afterwards and despite that they're masterfully composed.

Kill Baby Kill basically had the budget of a student film but it's surrealist sequences are a marvel of cinematography and editing.

His biographer is the first to admit issues with his screenwriting and acting direction but the guy can shoot a film like no one else. There's a reason Scorsese considers him a legend.

people like you are the reason we're getting a trash remake

what the fuck mate

>argento's new movie has the Silent Hill producer working on it

youtube.com/watch?v=i6L9Cbs0m_U

I don't think I've ever seen a more fucked up genre of film than Giallo. Fulci is even worse.

>final boss
Nice try Sup Forums

Movie did suck, but that nail scene is GOAT