Living off the land

Would you live off the land Sup Forums ?
Might be fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Self bump.

I already supply approximately 40% of my diet with home grown produce and poultry.

I will, when civilization collapse

You good for winters?

How do you even produce this shit so it's sustainable?

Most vegetables/fruits rot in less than 1 month or 2, and it takes a whole lot more of time to grow them.

You'd be basically constrained to eat whatever you can allow yourself to grow Egbert now and then

Where do you slaughter the animals in that picture?

Christina Ricci used to be such a qt

Just keep stuff growing for as long as you can. Get a few chickens; eat the eggs. Maybe some pigs.

I dont know if youd be able to have a steady supply of meat from chickens and cows. One chicken probably takes one year or so before you can eat it, cows probably 2 years. And then a chicken is like 1 meal for the whole family, a whole cow is probably quite a few meals

Take them behind the house.

fermenting, pickling, canning. same things our ancestors did
although we can also easily freeze things

>Might be fun.
Monsanto will see to it that it won't be.

A friend of mine had about 6 chickens and they each had an egg a day.

You can't produce only enough for yourself these days because you still have to pay property taxes, you'll have to produce a surplus and sell it, which is commonly known as farming.

Canning, mostly.

Threadly Reminder: the person who made this image is a literal retard.

- No water source
- No way to support even one cow for dairy purposes
- A pig on that small a parcel of land would produce an ungodly smell
- And it's almost right by the house
- Lel the chickens take up a quarter of the property though
- No outbuildings for equipment or tools

the chickens are for eggs. the meat from old hens is just a bonus
the pigs are most likely the main source of meat

I know rabbits are pretty popular with modern homesteaders. surprised I don't see any in that image

only indoor farming

Raised chickens off and on and lived on a 22 acre farm before. If you get broiler chickens they go from chick to the size you see in the stores in about a month. I let a batch go for 2 months and they were almost as big as turkeys! 16 of them filled 2 1/2 fridge freezers right to the max after butchering. I raised heritage breeds after and they were pretty cool. They can feed themselves when let out and lay eggs every day or two. They take probably 2 months to get big enough to eat if I remember correctly. Barred roc's are ideal for shtf situations imo

Might be efficient not having to transport food. No profit for governments. No one else putting stupid shit in food to preserve it. Take responsibilty for yourself without having to give any power away to corporations.

Sounds fun? or just common sense.

Why wait for a collapse when the collapse is happening slowly every fucking day.

that doesn't seem like enough room to graze those cows

>Killing your chickens
Evil and retarded.

this

I want to build a self-sufficient commune and live there with extended family, friends, and likeminded

quick reminder that horizotal agriculture will be a thing of the past soon

This diagram was meant to represent self sufficient farming on a one acre of land. For something like this CLEARLY more would be easier to an extent.

>This diagram was meant to represent self sufficient farming on a one acre of land.
I know, and that's the problem because you actually can be self-sufficient or very close to it on one acre and that fucking pic isn't it.

>vertical farming

MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS

MAY

MAYS

MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS

may MAY xD

MAY MAYS MAY MAYS

MAY MAYS xD

MAY xD

MAY xD

MAY
A
Y

MAY
A
Y

XD
D

>moo moo moo moo

MAY MAYS MAY MAYS XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, because I realize how much fucking work it would take. Maybe with farming robots it would be cool. I wouldn't mind just being the robot maintenance guy.

>poopoos

MAY MAYS XD

MAY MAYS XD

MAYMAYS XD

MAYMAYSMAYMAYS xD

>pissing im pissing im pissing

MAY MAYS XD MAY MAYS XD MAY MAYS XD

MAY MAY

>civilization collapses
>find people who are self-sufficient
>kill them
>take their shit
>now I am self-sufficient

triggered

>pic

So how do you keep track of it all? Seems pretty overwhelming for someone without any experience.

How would you do it?

fuking easily

Seriously the robot shit on this board is getting out of hand. I can't be the only one noticing this.

>LEARN TO CODE
>truckdriver? Think again!
>They can't automate the maintenance crew! Checkmate!
>That'll be automated in 6 weeks, sorry bud.

Are you getting paid or just impressionable?

Where does the farming happen in Australia?

Being properly prepared and not picky about your meals, you could last at least the first winter just on dried grains and shit.

>So how do you keep track of it all? Seems pretty overwhelming for someone without any experience.

You can see how much shit you need and that is just enough to get by, not counting feed for the cow and other shit you need to buy.

I want to so bad. My grandparents left my parents 20 acres in their will with a request to transfer half to me when I turned 18. Parents sold the land to pay off our shitty McMansion's two mortgages. Put what's leftover (way less than half) in an account for my college. I didn't know about this until my uncle told me last week. My parents jewed me out of 10 acres of good land and gave me less than a year of college as a consolation prize. Upside is I'm getting a degree in Agricultural Science.

Sounds risky. Don't you think people who are prepared and resourceful enough to be self-sufficient after a collapse have probably thought about and trained for defense more than you?

All the things I mentioned? I'd change them. No cattle. That's just lunacy. I wouldn't even have dairy goats on 1 acre. Dairy animals are a community effort and a pain in the ass. Way too much work for so little payoff otherwise. No pigs. That's just fucking stupid. The only reason Americans keep illustrating them is muh garbage to bacon meme. I really WANT to force all these morons to live in that arrangement and not allow them to move. They'll be bald from tearing their hair out from the smell and mess of them. Chickens are the perfect farm animals because they're generally well behaved, reproduce easily, can be entertaining and nice to look at, eat insect pests (but also some of your crops if you're not careful) and shit out free, highly nutritious food for years in massive quantities. They're going to need at least a pond or reservoir and preferably something a bit more sophisticated for a water source. Need outbuildings and equipment for harvest. I'd also have as much space devoted to greenhouses as possible to maximize growing season.

Those come to mind off the top of my head.

>bacon meme
Every fucking time. I'm convinced hipster blogger faggots who live in the suburbs make these images.

>trying to farm everything you could need on your own land
What would literally end up happening is a community would build and everyone would use their land growing stuff the community would need. One guy growing wheat, another growing lettuce, etc.

Because that's how the fuck we did it originally. Trying to manage 20 different crops will lead to sub par yields. It just does since every crop will have different requirements and you're not going to get a 15 year old to respect them.

It's also easier on the soil if you just do simple larger plots.

They do, because you really only need an acre if you are buying flour and other minor stuff. Also who wants to eat eggs every morning?

>It's also easier on the soil if you just do simple larger plots.
No it isn't. You have to rotate crops or add a metric fuck load of fertilizer and other shit.

Well you can trade the excess. Chickens are like a small farm godsend. Except for the cleaning, of course.

Bacon is a meme. It's alright, but holy shit is it overhyped.

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea has never done even the slightest amount of farm work.

It's a fucking nightmare of never ending labor.

>who wants to eat eggs every morning?
I fucking love eggs, cuck.

But the whole thing is still a paper thin system. You get one bad disease, or bad weather, or forget a rotation, you're gunna starve.

I always said if I became wildly rich I would make a home that is self sustaining and live in a remote area away from the bullshit. The only downsides are that it takes a lot of work and there will always be unexpected problems like illness and weather destroying your crops or killing livestock, people coming onto your land and trying to steal your shit, etc.

In the end of the world shtf scenario it would be the best way to go about it. In that regard other people are the only thing you would have to worry about... and I imagine you would go crazy after a while if you lived remotely all alone for a long duration of time.

anyone thats ever worked with live stock knows that paddock in the top left is no way big enough for a cow.

Yes it is, dumbass. If Bill grows corn and Joe grows lettuce, then bill is a corn expert and joe is a lettuce expert.

But your assumption is that I don't know about crop rotation. You're a dumbass for assuming that's not an obvious consideration. this isn't Ireland.

For the happeningfags it's better than being attacked by scavenging poor people.

If shit happens and our mass farms fail then good luck starting a small farm.

If not then mass farms are still the way to go so theres no point in having a small one either.

>ITT - People who have never ever worked/lived/visited/seen a farm in their entire lives

This is why you get a few things ready beforehand.

>irrelevant reply
this is why leafs are bottom feeders

You can still get land because most people still think it's a good thing to live as close to all the bullshit as possible. Do your college and do it to learn and not to get a degree and a drinking problem. Agricultural science is good stuff, civil engineering here. I can already mix concrete and plan a well, real world stuff.

Tell us Mr. Corn. What do we need to know to sustain ourselves in the post happening world?

And that's why you build a reserve of grain.

Australia are you okay?

>But your assumption is that I don't know about crop rotation
I assume everyone is a fool until proven otherwise.

le edge master post

>Be NEET beta male Sup Forums poster
>Happening happens
>Survive initial days in mom's basement somehow
>Run out of food, attempt to kill someone who is self-sufficient
>Get killed by said person because they're a normal, healthy, functioning adult who is prepared to shrug off weak virgin betas like yourself

Even if you did somehow not shoot your eye out trying to steal from someone, you don't know how to farm or raise livestock, you'd just die when their supply ran out.

>fun

Necessity and survival are a little different.

I like gardening. But I know I can't survive off of the cherry tomatoes I plant. At best I can cut down my ingredient bill on salads.

Potatoes are more useful, as long as you diversify your crop you should be fine.

>The Celtic grazing lands of... Ireland had been used to pasture cows for centuries. The British colonised... the Irish, transforming much of their countryside into an extended grazing land to raise cattle for a hungry consumer market at home... The British taste for beef had a devastating impact on the impoverished and disenfranchised people of... Ireland... pushed off the best pasture land and forced to farm smaller plots of marginal land, the Irish turned to the potato, a crop that could be grown abundantly in less favorable soil. Eventually, cows took over much of Ireland, leaving the native population virtually dependent on the potato for survival.

Fuck yeah, Harvest Moon was comfy as hell

You can't be self-sufficient and be independent at the same time. If you want to work the land by yourself, great, you'll need a shit ton of machinery to be able to get good yields and not starve in the winter. But they need a lot of diesel - A fucking LOT of diesel. And unless you're going to be doing weekly runs to the gas-station with your 12 gauge (assuming this is a SHTF scenario) you're going to starve. Those machines are noisy as fuck as well, and are hard to operate. So while you're trying to harvest your corn, Jamal and his gang of raiders will shoot you up.
To be self-sufficient, you need a community of like-minded people to help grow crops and lighten the workload, or a humongous family like our ancestors.

Are you seriously denying the obvious fact that industries and agriculture get more and more automated over the years?

That's a neat idea

Can any anons recommend some sources about this kind of stuff that isn't hipster/happening meme tier? Don't really know shit about agriculture, seems pretty interesting

Damonfamilyreunion.jpg

it is
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

Don't solar powered versions exist?

No because I would be too busy growing potatoes to shitpost on a mongolian horsebreeding forum

Perhaps if you had enough land to grow a crop to make into bio diesel.

Thanks to new law in Poland I'm no longer eligible to buy agricultural land, and I wouldn't feel comfortable living off rented one with the owner able to kick me out at the moment's notice. So it may be a cool option, but no longer available for me.

I'm examining the insane timescale and magnitude set up by futurists on this board. Commercial flights have been automated for 20 yrs and we are still getting MORE commercial pilots. Yet somehow in 10 yrs we won't need truck drivers because there was a self-driving car on discovery channel? And farming robots, that depends on what you mean, anything near full automation is insane, certain automation we have already.

But why can't maintenance and coding be automated? There is no logical reason.

Automation is about as revolutionary as VR which is about as revolutionary as strapping a monitor to your head in an elegant way.

You can thank video game, they play their meme dayz clone and think collapse will be a free for all kill fest, they think growing crop, building shelter require just looking at something with the ressources required in your hand.
Chance are these blood hungry edgytard will go onto fetal position and piss themself pleading for life

It's a meme invented by professional class to basically say "be grateful we allow you to live at all and don't dare to complain, peasant".

I would
Gimmi the land.

Thanks for sharing! I liked reading about this

>I'm no longer eligible to buy agricultural land
Explain

Get fucked haha
Living of the land and gardening is ridiculously time and energy intensive.
You really have no idea how much weeding etc it takes if you dont have a tractor and dont spray your shit
Goodluck with working 8hours in the sun

What happens when it breaks? What happens when Jamal and his roving gang of dindu nuffins busts it in a shoot out?

>Need corn to make bio-diesel
>Need bio-diesel to fuel combine
>Need combine to harvest corn
>Need to plant more corn to fuel combine and for you to eat
>Need to use combine longer to harvest all the extra corn
>Need more fuel to be able to use the combine longer
>Need more corn to make more fuel
>Need more fuel to harvest more corn
>etc. etc. etc.

I would, but land is expensive.
I like gardening, but it's rather difficult in Northern Australia.

When I move down to Tasmania, I plan on growing my own crops similar to the pic in the OP. But I don't expect it to cut out all of my cost of living.

What about something that's run off running water?

Basically, the new government is obsessed with the notion of rich Germans (and people from other Western countries) buying up Polish land. Since EU's laws explicitly forbid discriminating against citizens of other member states, the government invented the law that also bars most Polish people from buying land - in effect Germans can no longer buy it, but so do most Poles, so no discrimination by citizenship and it's OK according to the EU.

I've never heard of a steam engine combine but it's plausible, I suppose. You'd need coal to make steam though, and a lot of water. That's water you could be drinking/watering your crops/etc. and coal is very, very hard to get. You could use straw, possibly.

This is sustainability, not trying to build a perpetually growing business.

Wow that is certainly...something

how do you pay the land tax, utility bills, gas, and feed for the animals.