Is linux actually worth it or is it a meme?

is linux actually worth it or is it a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

fixubuntu.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Worth it. Less problems, more productive, got a great jib because if it

It's trash.

how long did it take you to get it completely day to day functional?

Depends on what you're doing.
Great for servers.
Not so much for games.

Everything's a tool. Use them for whatever you need.

depends on what you're doing and if you know how to do it.

Its pretty shit for gaming except for emulators, like an emulator I think its called desmune runs pretty well, its also great for programming, theres a lot of customization you can do, I can go on for days...

the only reason I use windows is for Steam.

install gentoo

not the guy you're replying to, but what do you mean? how long did it take for the operating system to run smoothly? with the main desktop distros, it isnt that hard to just pop in a USB stick and install the OS... you might need to install drivers, but once its installed, you're good.

specifically created to give uptight hipsters something to feel extra special about

I first used it back in 97. Not long

Falling for the Sup Forums meme 10 years ago is why I have a career today.
Install gentoo.
Be frustrated.

Linux is better

hahaha autists have trouble with it, true

Just dual boot, yo.

ditch winblow$ and fruitfairy bullshit like OS X, and learn how a computer works, faggot

linux is the best if you have a job that doesn't change often.
As a free software consultant I prefer osx. It has less problems to setup in a new company and has the best virtualization of all 3 OS.
For gaming and ONLY for gaming I use windows.

Is growing your own vegetables worth it, or is it a meme?

If you fucking hate learning how to do it right, it's not worth. Buy some shit instead. If you enjoy learning how to do it right... enjoy it, it's superior anyway.

/thread

You will definitely waste less time on gaming. Using OpenSUSE right now. Make a liveUSB or liveCD and try any of the distros.

Worth it.

It depends on what you're trying to do.

The big thing is that this isn't the early 90s anymore. Operating Systems have come so far now that a user experience of using Windows can be similar to Mac or Linux. I would say each has their strengths and weaknesses. Strengths of Linux are :

>It's free
>Whatever you're trying to do, there's a specific distro for it. They even have a distro for grad school students studying astronomy.
>If you're programming in something mainstream like Java, you don't have to deal with configuring environmental variables like you'd have to if you're using Windows.
>You can customize it a lot easier. Windows and Mac are proprietary software, meaning they restrict they user from making certain changes to the OS without doing a ton of BS first. Linux encourages you explore.
> Less likely to get viruses as the process of installing stuff on Linux is way more involved and people seldom write viruses for Linux (it does happen, but not often).
>Waaaaay more secure than Mac / Windows.
>Most of all, LINUX RESPECTS YOUR PRIVACY WAY MORE THAN MAC OR WINDOWS! HANDS DOWN.

Weaknesses of Linux:

> A lot of distros so you might not know where to start. (I suggest Ubuntu if you're a windows refugee)
> Not good for games.
> A lot of stuff isn't exactly plug and play. So like, for instance, you might have to manually install drivers through terminal for older hardware.
> Almost no support for popular programs like Word, paint, or Windows Movie Maker. (There are almost always better free linux alternatives).

I'll watch this thread but I switched to Linux years ago and haven't looked back.

>is linux actually worth it or is it a meme?
I use Linux for everything except GAYMAN!
At work, I have a dozen CentOS servers and 50 users on Linux thin clients.

casual computer users have no need for linux. If you're involved in a career that requires programming and using hardware efficiently, it's a better choice. Also vastly superior when it comes to privacy

Only use OS/2 Warp, everything else is a scam.

I also recommend Ubuntu. I switched from Windows and I'm not looking back.

Use FreeBSD if you don't want to be a linux nigger installing a different distro every 6 months.

>Ubuntu
yuck, use Arch like a man

>Ubuntu
>Arch
>Gentoo
See? Linux niggers.

It's worth it if you're programming or really just using your computer for day-to-day stuff. If you plan on trying out some of the steam games available for it, then I suggest using an AMD GPU because the nVidia drivers for linux suck ass. Get yourself familiar with some basic command lines, permissions, and the package manager for your distro.

Linux user for 15 years.
It's absolute trash, garbage.
It's free but you buy with your time.
Once you walk off the very, very narrow path set my most default installations, you're in a world of hurt.
If you want something good and usable, get something with macOS.

I just want an operating system that works well without tracking everything I do. I don't want to spend all my time trying to get it to work. Use the easier distros if you want an OS, not a new hobby.

THIS SO HARD
My gaming rig is new hardware on win 8.1 and it's constantly mad at me for not having win10 (had to delete a bunch of stuff they didn't want me to to get rid of pop-up ugrade shit)
My... TV (uh) is an ubuntu desktop, it holds files and internets great. It's free. I can use my brain to google, read, and then patch so I don't have issues. It isn't mad at me all the time...

It doesn't like games so hard though, a couple valve games and rocket league function.

yeah, as I remember every arch user I ever met they looked like real men.

fixubuntu.com/
Use Arch. Build it yourself.

You could try WINE. I personally don't game much anymore, so I didn't have that problem.

If all you're doing is gaming, Microsoft still owns that realm. Microsoft also has the best office suite imo.
Anything else, Linux is not only free, but is just about as user friendly for basic things, vastly more customizable, and the updates don't ever stop you from doing you. Also a pretty decent selection of free programs like image editors and science calculators.

So true!

Microsoft only "owns" because of DirectX, if it were ported to Linux like was rumored, Windows would die in the average consumer market. OpenGL is better, but not much is developed on it, because of the DX tradition

Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost.

>Build it yourself.
No time. Have to post memes.

How long does arch take to actually work?

I can get a distro up and running in about 20 minutes, but I know what I'm doing and have really good internet (for when installing all the packages I need/want) but I think someone who's never done it before could make it work in a couple hours if you follow along some youtube tutorials or shit like that.

Or be a cheap nig and use Antergos (basically noob-ified Arch installer, uses Cnchi)

Depends. Are you doing man work or gaming

its great for programming and hardcore computations. For mainstream computer use (watching movies, surfing the web, gaming, presentations/word processing, etc.), it kinda sucks.

It's great for watching movies, surfing the web and presentation/word processing too, only thing it sucks at is gaming, and who gives a shit about that

Sooo many idiots here its unbelivable.

Pic related is my system which I setup (including initial installation and update) in 30 minutes.

If a game runs on Windows it will (95%) run on Linux as well. Wine is a genius project it just "translates" Windows API calls into POSIX calls. I play LoL, Steam (Windows Native), Crysis and many more Windows games on my Linux machine.

Also for the people recomending MacOS: You are worse than Windows fags. Windows fags at least know and understand they are under surveillance. Mac fags think they are not. FYI: MAC USES LINUX UNDER THE HOOD.

If a game for Windows does not run under Linux you can be sure that either A the game is installing spyware (specifically rootkits) OR B the game is terribly programmed.

I literally haven't touched a Mac/Windows computer since 4 years and there was not a single thing that I would not find a (often way better AND free) alternative for/could not run under Wine.

Great for people who like having control over their OS. Less great for people who need Mac/Windows exclusive software.

WINE doesn't actually keep up with modern games, too much layered programming
E.G. a ton of anti-cheats don't work, a lot of social systems don't work (blizz social runs outside the game, but it's app doesn't run in the same wine instance... it's a mess)

been there, basically, and it doesn't work

vulkan in coming back en vogue, fingers crossed

OpenOffice is a complete piece of shit though. Theres almost always a driver issue that isnt self explanatory for things like video.

You listed a ton of non-intestive games there...
Show me a triple A shooter with good netcode (that valve didn't develop, good on them for CS running buttery smooth on linux) that doesn't suffer MASSIVE input lag from wine and I'll change my mind

But if you could even get, say, overwatch running in WINE it'd suffer like 100ms RTT from it

Please kill yourself so much lie.
Literally only games that are not runnable under Wine are the ones which make use of DX12. Which in and of itself is wrong.
Everything else works fluently at full FPS.

Wrong its just differently layouted then MS Office and you are accustomed to MS Office. And even if you just run MS Office through Wine without internet.

>Theres almost always a driver issue
Wrong. Only for Hardware that is REALLY REALLY new, old or uncommon.

OpenOffice is trash, yeah lmao, use LibreOffice, or WPS. And idk what kind of garbage computer you're using to have video driver issues, but just running VLC or SMplayer shouldn't cause any problems

This, if Wine wasn't such a nigger to work with at times, I would never touch another OS.

You could try WPS Office, not open source but it looks and functions like M$ Office (basically a carbon copy)

LO is better but OO is just fine

You could always try a virtual box.

>You listed a ton of non-intestive games there...
And you gave me reason enough to ignore you.
You are aware Crysis literally is one of the most demanding games ever? I can literally run the whole franchise 60fps (including fucking MSTER CONFIG FOR CRYSIS WHICH MANY MODERN WINDOWS PCS CANT RUN AT FULL SPEED)

The problem never is the OS in Linux. The problem ALWAYS is the end user. If you install shitty drivers/libs/os's its your own fault. If you configure Wine/OS/libs shitty thats your own fault.

I'm not a gamer but am an avid Linux guy. I learned a lot from you today.

This is totally wrong.
What you are talking about are common newbie problems having with wine. If you actually do programming yourself you can easily spot which libraries are causing failures and instantly replace/symlink them to use proper ones. Works in 99% of the cases.

Eh, it's probably just preference at this point. I used to hate LO when I was younger, cause it's a bit heavier so it took a while to launch on my garbage laptop, so I used to be an OO boi, but now that my laptop is actually one that was worth buying, I'm more on the Libre side of things. Also use LibreOffice Calc (Excel, basically) a LOT now to keep track of my crypto trading, and I dont find that OO's Excel copy is good enough for me

hipsters use macs

Yep. I installed it on my Mac and dick became 2 inches longer

What's the name of this distribution?

Woah, 2.5 inches now? Sick bro

Depends on your day I guess. Most people just get Mint Cinnamon and do
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get upgrade -y
Then you acquire third party software if needed, but generally it's not.

Arch Linux. But you are aware literally every Distro can look that way? That's a common newbie misconception as well. You can make every GNU/Linux distro look every way the distro itself has nothing to do with it. You can even make fucking shitty Ubuntu (which you should never use) look like my os.

Arch Linux with Gnome DE, and a nice carbon skin.

You can tell cause of the terminal window on the right, it's a script called Screenfetch that tells you about your OS

I used to be a Cinnamon fanboy, but fuck is it a broken DE, now I'm using Gnome, but really not that happy with it either

you know crysis doesn't care about input lag right?
cause it's not competitive PVP on high tick servers?

Dummy

Are there any other distros that are like crunchbang? I used to love #! but they stopped supporting it. Some computer science club in Poland picked it up or something but it's shit now.

ignore him, there is so much bullshit in his post it hurts.
He thinks Linux and Unix is the same, needs to copy the 'wine' explanation from the wine side to even know how it works.

this guy gets it

Actually its a fork, its neofetch but yea.
Its funny because I specifically grayed out identifiable information but still went unnoticed somehow. The skin is called "OSX-ARC-Shadow" and the Shell skin is "GNOME-OSX-Arc".

Also I use lots and lots and lots of Gnome Shell extensions. One of the reasons I will never move away from Gnome.

Well that's just enlightenment DE (I think nicknamed like e-17 or some shit). Maybe look into Bodhi, but one of their older releases, something 2.x, their 3.x is a shitshow now

You should try out FreeBSD

Gonna have to look into neofetch now lmao

Nope, now exactly 7,8 inches.

ew, eurofag lying about penis

there's a commercial version of it that allows the installation of most games and good 3rd party software!

> and learn how a computer works

Sure. Like you learn how an airplane works before boarding it. Or why a car does broom broom if you turn its key right?

Fuck you and all you linux elitists. A PC is just a tool, and like any other tool, it should work for you, not you for it.

Also. Fun linux fact. Install now, realize most update repositories have moved or vanished in 6 months or less. In 1 year you'll have no other option than to install yet another new version. Great fun.

Also, most linux nerds claim how their machine does everything a windows box does. But when comparing software doing same tasks for both machines turns out the windows version has way more options 'n settings and it also doesnt look like causin franky programmed it overnight from his attic room.

Look. If you really care to find out how computing is done on a lower level, or if you plan to install a webserver somewhere, by all means, linux is your friend.

But for every jobs, where jane doe just wants a computer that works every day without all sorts of update not available nags, just get yourself a windows box.
Ofcourse, if you want to spend way too much many on a pc or laptop just for the sake of being the cool guy at starbucks, you buy an apple

In the first post I said "League of Legends runs fluent" on to which you said "its a non intensive game" then I said Crysis and now you say it isn't what LoL is what I specified in my first post. Are you mentally retarded or just trolling?

Fyi both Crysis (mster, online) and LoL run at 60fps (throttled down to 60).

Also what are you talkinga bout input lag? Do you even understand how Hardware works? The input lag (if you are talkingabout physical ones) is not caused by OS but by vendor. If anything Windows would have more lags since Linux is FOSS and everyone would instantly see bugs and instantly fix them.

If you are talking about pings, Linux is way way way ahead. There is a reason nearly all big Web servers are hosted on Linux. My ping on CSGO, Crysis, Lol (all through Wine) is a steady 15ms.

Arch Linux.

>He thinks Linux and Unix is the same
Clearly not but do you expect people here to know the difference between Unix, and GNU/Linux seeing those genius answers?

> needs to copy the 'wine' explanation from the wine side to even know how it works.
Because it is so hard to figure out how a programm called "PROGRAM IS NOT AN EMULATOR" works right?

99% of the time question is not whether it will run but rather whether you are able to fix the problems yourself. That is why Arch is so wonderful.

I mean, I'm sure I'll make some people really irritated, but isn't Cinnamon just a fancy KDE?

I was a huge fan of Solus (small independently developed, not based on anything) but the software support is absolutely aids since it's a new distro and does it's own thing

Not true.
MacBook ads 5 inches, 2 inches for Linux.

Holy shit, quads!

>Can't code for shit though so hey maybe wine is MEGA powerful if you ENTIRELY rewrite it lul
The most I wrote for wine was 2 scripts. Total of 20 letters. If that is too much for you then yes you should definetly stay away from anything remotely related to GNU or Unix.

would you use a hammer without knowing how it works? Would you turn the key in a bulldozer without knowing how it works?

No. Learn your tools before you use them, and you'll ALWAYS be more productive.

>LoL is coding intensive
>Crysis is netcode intensive

you're dumb. play overwatch on WINE at 200fps with 30 RTT and screencap and I'll shut up, otherwise you literally are just ignoring my point and cherrypicking games in which some aspect works really well translated

so, again, you're dumb

I use Xubuntu. Just do the initial updates and you're good. Most extra things you might need are in the apt repository, otherwise things are pretty easy to install. If you're missing a library, it will usually tell you and what they are called, and you just install them. Pretty straight forward.
I've not had a crash happen for no apparent reason at all ever since I switched, and companies can't see my every action.
Most ubuntu/deibian OS are as user-friendly as Windows.

For someone who has zero experience or interest programming or coding would you recommend mac or windows?

for what use case?

Windows or Linux, because OS X is overpriced shit.

I really hope you are trolling.
But seeing the responses so far you appearently are not.
Your problem is you want to find a flaw. You don't even want to objectively argue you want to find something and ignore every other agument. So sad.

>Coding intensive
>netcode intensive

seriously stop embarassing yourself. I will treat you from now on as the troll you are. You cant be that dumb.

Irrelevant either are made for noobs. Although obviously Macs are overrpiced af.