Shot in 4:3

>shot in 4:3

What the fuck, Dankovsky? Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite films of all time, but I never understood the TV-like format. IIRC, just about every single one of his films had a normal cinematic aspect ratio, even Ivan's Childhood and Andrei Rublev, why was Stalker any different? I would've guess he was struggling with budget, but then again, the amount of complicated practical sets in the film would suggest otherwise.

there is literally nothing wrong with 4:3.

Maybe it suited the geometry of his shots better, or helped create a more claustrophobic feel.

4:3 is comf

Is stalker actually worth watching? Not just so you can say you've seen it but as something that deserves my time.

If you have any interest in understanding Russian cinema, this movie was something like their 2001 for how often it is invoked as a reference.

>After the loss of the film stock, the Soviet film boards wanted to shut the film down, officially writing it off. But Tarkovsky came up with a solution: he asked to make a two-part film, which meant additional deadlines and more funds. Tarkovsky ended up reshooting almost all of the film with a new cinematographer, Aleksandr Knyazhinsky. According to Safiullin, the finished version of Stalker is completely different from the one Tarkovsky originally shot.[8]

I guess this might have something to do with it.

I wouldn't say I'm into Russian films but I'm up for watching something different.

this 2bqhfml, 4:3 is my favorite ratio

But Russian 2OO1 is S O L A R I S.

>can't look past visual similarities to see what each film means culturally

Solaris is to Russia what, say Apocalypse Now was to the West.

2.76:1 is the only exciting ratio, by the time I start watching a 4:3, 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 film I just roll my fucking eyes, what a bore.

>Solaris is to Russia what, say Apocalypse Now was to the West.
Nobody outside of film buffs gave a shit about Solaris in Russia
source: russian

I'm Russian, AMA. Here if you ask random person if he even heard of Tarkovsky, 80% they will say no. If you ask someone who watches movies if they heard of Tarkovsky, 70% will say no. In Russia more people watched Apocalypse Now than Solaris. I'm one of these people.

>practical sets

Ahaha what?

Is the Sword and the Shield series worth a watch? Putin mentioned them in some interviews.

you forgot the true kino

This. Can you imagine how less impactful the meat grinder scene would've been if it was wide? Fuck that

Funnily, the only person I heard mentioning this film is my 65 years old coworker, I think it's his favorite film. But I also think he haven't seen more than 10 films from last several decades. Otherwise I don't know anything about it, it's nowhere to be seen on TSPDT so I'm not planning to watch it anytime soon. Also, it's not like we watch a lot of Russian films. Most of the time we hate our own modern cinema. But we do love our old soviet films, because they are shown on TV at least once a year, and we have been watching them since childhood. Mainly The Diamond Arm and Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession. Not that they are masterpieces, but they are to us what Home Alone for you.

maybe because it was flimed in 1979?

stupid faggot

this

Kys

Can you go to the scene in Mirror where his mother is floating above the bed and translate the whole scene for me. It's only a few lines. I don't trust the subs I got as they don't make very much sense.
Should be at 1:33:00

unless you got new tv

>Budget: $1,400 (estimated)
What am I in for?

It's nothing. Calm down. It's nothing. Everything will be fine.

It's sad I see you only when I feel really bad. Can you hear me?

Yes.

Finally I hop off.

What's up with you, Marusya? Do you feel bad?

Don't be surprised. It's so understandable. I love you.

Yea and by the way the film doesn't make much sense even if you speak Russian. It makes less sense than Lynch's Inland Empire.

>4 million tickets sold in 2 theaters
That's a p high per theater average innit

It was in 1973. Those who watched it in theaters at the age of 20 are now 63 years old.

>nobody about film buffs gave a shit
>gave
You seem to be moving goal posts, buddyboii

I'm not him. Just providing some facts. I agree with you that back in the day Tarkovsky was popular.

Fix'd

>TSPDT
>Sight & Sound
>Criterion
>rutracker
>MPC-HC
guess my age