Why do people shit on this band?

Don't get it twisted, the band IS shit.

Fag music for dudeweedlmao college students.

I don't know. I think their lyrics are something like a 12 year old emo girl would write, but that's the appeal for me.

I'm considering listening to this album. Years later and people are still split down the middle when discussing it.

Who cares about the lyrics when it's literally just indecipherable wretching.

People shit on this bc they want to feel like they know anything about Music. Also bc is edgy af nigga

It's a good album. It just makes metal purists buttmad. It's really no more feminine than any given shoegaze album, but it gets marked as "nu-male" because, again, metal purists. Also, the lyrics are mostly about economic inequality, which doesn't gel with all the Sup Forums that's infested Sup Forums.

because it ain't trve metal you tourist

yeah

Literally the only metal album i can call "good"

Metal is shit

It's not really good. Marketed as black metal with shoegaze when it's really just screamo and post hardcore. Loma Prieta is better screamo but they still suck. Band is full of tourists. Black metal peaked in 93/94 nothing has topped or innovated without gimmicks of putting random genre in original sound

>black metal peaked in the 90s
Excuse me, sir? Could we acknowledge this album for a moment?

it's a fraudulent product

Good but not better than Darkthrone's and Burzum's best. I'll rephrase black metal peaked in 93/94 but there are still very very few quality albums that meet or come close to the quality of the classics

Hipster tourist alert get out of the metal hall

It's very boring.

You won't get any meaningful critique beyond the tourism meme here. Believe me, I've tried.

I just gave a critique it's not black metal at all. It's screamo yet it was marketed as black metal. I can go further if you'd like

I'm all ears, but can you tell me why exactly that's a bad thing?

>Black metal peaked in 93/94 nothing has topped or innovated without gimmicks of putting random genre in original sound
Black Metal peaked in 1985 with this album

There's better screamo (hence this band/album aren't good) although a vast majority sucks

That's up for debate. Although technically better than most classic Norwegian albums, I think Hvis is on par if not better and you can see clear innovation from that classic to the Norwegian classics. You can see this with less reliance on speed metal than Bathory. Deafheaven have no innovation so they slap together whatever. Most new black metal bands today do the same by slapping together influences to hide lack of originality

People are split on it because the band releases really good tracks and really bad ones on the same album. They have no consistency and it drives me crazy.

purists in the metal scene hate forward thinking genre blending stuff like this. there can be no grey area. this album fucking rules though and i recommend

i say it every thread with this album. I fucking love it. discovered it 3 months ago and have had it playing non stop since. Those drums shine through so clear and it actually does have a warm tone which is rare to see in black metal. The drum tracking is so fucking good, sunbather is probably one of my favorite songs ever written. I don't care about the lyrics.

do it. it's fucking golden

i really think its genuinely very very good. im not sure why it is hated so much. just dont let others opinions influence you , listen to it and see what you think

>if you're not #1 you're shit
Thanks, 70s dad.

"its a different genre than it is actually labeled as" amazing critique dude great job

>black metal peaked in the 90s
>Oathbreaker
>wolves in the throne room
>bölzer
>liturgy (fuck you i like it and gregg fox is a beast)
>peste noire
yeah ok go camp in the woods and listen to your tape recorder you tasteless cunt

>it's not black metal because they don't wear corpse paint and wahh why aren't they recording on grammophones
um sweetie maybe try again?

At least partly because of how much a bunch of faggots who don't listen to metal were heralding it as some kind of groundbreaking artistic achievement.

Because they aren't edgy trve kvlt enough for the larpers

As someone who loves genre fuckery and avant shit in metal, Deafheaven is just boring and overrated.

I don't know shit about metal in general, but I fucking love this album, is there any more like it?

example?

holy shit taste, i can tell you get your metal from noisey

As a dyed-in-the-wool metalhead I fucking love it. It's not the masterpiece some people will try to convince you it is but its quality is undeniable imo. It showed that the black metal format could support a lot more artistic variation than just imitating the Darkthrone template. As an album it works very well too, with that key change in the middle of Sunbather given enough build up to feel like a massive shift towards a darker tone that is sustained throughout the album. Just skip Please Remember and Windows - they would've been fine if they were (a lot) shorter but as it is they sap the album of momentum and aren't that interesting. I think part of what gives it legitimacy is the quality of the playing - the drumming is incredible. Overall, great album.

People love to shit on that record but I fucking love it. I don't even care anymore. I love that record. It's not perfect; the whole religious rant sample in that generic post-rock drug deal track smack in the middle of the album is kind of cringy, but otherwise those melodies are top and the energy is amazing.

It's legitimately fucking good. Metalheads fucking hate it.
Deafheaven and Liturgy are both good but derided by metalheads.

Love Sunbather but I don't like Liturgy. "Generation" is the only good song of theirs that I enjoy. All their other stuff is just boring.

black metal kids hate anything that doesn't conform to their narrow standards of what a black metal artist 'should' look like

despite the music being clearly better than 95% of the genre

>being this insecure about people liking things you don't like
what the fuck is a noisey?

>pretending this isn't trash

the entire blackgaze genre

Mediocre b8