youtu.be/lj-M57_6Dcg?t=1m51s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't die

I came up with a mnemonic device

シ wants to fuck ツ because シ is looking back at him

Good start to the day.

I remember ツ because it's the one weebs use for emoticons

^_^

How common are non jouyou kanji in writing? Seems like I just got introduced to 20 or so around the 2k mark in core.
I expected half of the words to say "usually written in kana" in Jisho but that doesn't seem to be the case.
喧嘩 for example

China>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Japan

Many are extremely common, more so than some jouyou kanji. There's no reason to care about whether a kanji is on the jouyou list. Once you hit about 3000 kanji through mining rather than following an arbitrary list it'll get rare-ish to find new ones.

Do I tell anki "again" or "hard" if i totally get a review vocab kanji wrong? What if I only get one syllable/hiragana wrong?

Personal preference. If it's considerably wrong hit again. If you say ka instead of ke on accident and don't think you'll make that mistake again then hit hard.

How do you get the kanji wrong in vocab review?

説明してください
なぜこのコメントはそんなに高いライクを持てるの

youtube.com/watch?v=ArC-zZSsj3U

Are onomatopoeia written in katakana?

What about laughter in general? Is hahaha written as ははは or ハハハ

youtu.be/lj-M57_6Dcg?t=1m51s
does he say here " ちょい と でも おれ にかなうとでま ありかなうと たか " " Choi to demo ore ni kanau to de ma ari kanau to taka "

>What about laughter in general?
(*´Д`)゜バクハツwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

What the fuck is wwwwwww anyway?
Just a bunch of tiny ハハハ together?

What's the verdict on that Duolingo course? Worth it for those 100 kanjis?

owo

Isn't that the deck that teaches you 2000 words in like 10,000 cards?

In 「夢にまで見た一家団欒」, how does にまで work?

Learned the kanas, now my problem is I can't learn kanji because I don't know grammar and I can't learn grammar because I don't know kanjis, what do I do

...what?
You don't need to know kanji to read a grammar guide.
Read through Tae Kim or something similar, also read the guide in the OP if you hadn't already.

its core2k

No idea. Perhaps some "So much win" meme equivalent.

Also what the fuck is wrong with these people, there is absolutely nothing funny in this video.

Have a crack at Tae Kim's Grammar Guide using Rikaisama as a crutch for unknown words.

The "step" Core2K from ankiweb is different from the Core2K/6K everyone else uses and extremely inefficient because of all the redundant cards.

dont worry if a brain already knows a word it doesnt have to relearn it

ちょいとでも おれに かなうとでも おもったか!
(ちょいとでも俺に敵うとでも思ったか!)
まぬけ がぁ!
(間抜けが!)

When should I memorize the radicals?

Er, I don't really know. What do you mean by memorize? I don't think I've ever really "learned" the radicals, but I can recognize them well enough to be able to search by them. I think it's something that you pick up with exposure, like seeing 豚, 腕, 脚, etc., realizing they have a common radical, and figuring out that it means "meat, flesh".

今日の語彙:
ロンドン
自傷癖
架け橋
轢く

What is the word for tail in Japanese? Is it 尾 or 尻尾

Both. Japanese is full of words that can be written as A, B and AB. Generally A and B are kun'yomi, and AB is on'yomi.

尻尾が普通

>tfw it took forever but just finished reading/translating the first chapter of yotsuba
i can learn japanese

Very common.

In everyday life you will need to be familiar with at least a few hundred more.

If you want to read actual book-ass books instead of young adult literature (like most of the retards ITT) you should know more.

3,000 is probably the minimal threshold for being considered literate, but genuinely smart people are probably closer to 4,000.

don't be a condescending prick, and 4,000 kanji is ridiculous
even 3,000 to be considered literate is a load of shit

Sub-3000 means only reading light novels and manga like a peasant.

It's like a Japanese person coming to America and only reading superhero comics and YA literature like the Hunger Games and the Great Gatsby, and thinking he understands American culture.

Maybe that's fine for 90% of DJT, but if you have a shred of dignity you'll strive to be smarter than that.

Also plenty of university professors are in the 4,000 kanji range.

>If you want to read actual book-ass books instead of young adult literature (like most of the retards ITT) you should know more.

Modern regular novels do not generally use more kanji than light novels, but I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing that since like most /lit/ tryhards you probably read 5 books a year.

>Modern regular novels
Aka shit.

Is there a based anki deck for kanji beyond jouyou?

The Great Gatsby is not, and was never, "Young Adult Literature."

I didn't mean to quote you, I was phone posting from a social event because the thought hit me and I didn't want to forget it. I am more curious if people here specifically study radicals or rather pick them up with an increased knowledge of kanji

クソ漫画転載

3 おわり

He's right, though, the 3000 mark barely contains all jouyou and jinmeiyou. Add in at least as many hyougai as there are jinmeiyou and there you go, 4000.

1. Not really understanding the も here considering that nobody else "lost" before this except her... maybe it means "I can't lose again/can't lose at this too" but I doubt it, because then it'd be これも; 私も has gotta mean "I also," right?

2. >負けてられない

Is this 負けていられない meaning "I can't continue to lose/keep losing" or something?

3. >同じ 浮き輪サーファー

Does this mean "Just like Yotsuba, I'm a lifebuoy surfer"?

4. >輪ーファー

I'm guessing she's just creating words here

>首を傾げながらも、封を切ってみる。
Without the も I understand what this sentence is saying but I don't get how it changes with the も

Yes it is. It's popular in America because kids were assigned it in high school. Same goes for 1984 and Catcher in the Rye.

That's why people who don't actually read always cite those as their favorite books. They haven't opened one since high school.

Unique kanji counts for a few classic authors:

Soseki
坊っちゃん 1748
こころ 1934

Kawabata
雪国 1,593

Mishima
金閣寺 2596

Abe
砂の女 1791
方舟さくら丸 2040

Dazai
人間失格 1785

I don't know what point you're trying to make. Just because an author uses less than 2,000 kanji doesn't mean that they're all magically joyo. Do I have to draw a venn diagram for you?

3,000 to be considered sufficiently literate is not a controversial figure at all.

It's a classic work of literature that is assigned in high school because it's a classic work of literature that all English speakers should read. Shakespeare is also assigned in high school, does that make it "Young Adult Literature"?

By definition, Young Adult Literature is literature created for audiences aged 15-20. The Great Gatsby, as well as 1984, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and other great works, were obviously never intentionally created for this audience.

Your logic is embarrassingly stupid.

I didn't disagree with the 3000 figure, just the claim that Real Books™ use more kanji than light novels.

You can read a very, VERY verbose novel about knights and never meet kanji related to planets, science and whatnot.
Having 2600 kanji in a single novel is impressive, but is not indicative of how much you'd have to know in order to read novels - other novels will have other niche subjects with niche kanji.

Although I believe your point was about LN x "real" Novels, so I guess you're proving his main argument right, while proving the particular thing about novel kanji count wrong.

Well Yotsuba has just successfully ridden the wave, so Fuuka is saying something to the effect of "I also cannot back down!" So like, I'm going to ride the wave, too. The も just seems like "too; as well" in this case. I'm not going to finish it off, but the として clause on the left most likely can attach to the 負けてられない clause for a kind of "complete" sentence.

You sound like an assmad brainlet desu.

Great Gatsby, 1984, and Huck Finn are YA lit because they're simple books for simple people, which is why American school children are assigned them so they don't have to wear out their fat little brains thinking too hard. The fact that they may have originally been written for adults is only further damning to your country's collective """intelligence.""" F. Scott Fitzgerald was basically the JK Rowling of his day. A lot of (dumb American) adults read Harry Potter, but it's still YA lit.

>assmad brainlet desu
>fat little brains thinking too hard
>""""intelligence""""

I can't even fathom hypocrisy more rich. Take a look in the mirror and look at your own words. You're the exact person you're describing.

Your entire post is completely belligerent and false. These books are not assigned because they are easy or hard, they're assigned because they're classic works of literature. And no, they're not "simple books."

>country's collective intelligence

Exit this website, turn off your internet, your computer, your smartphone, throw away your computer mouse, destroy your microwave, never ride an escalator again, never use a washing machine again, never use a telephone again... etc. These are all American inventions.

I'm pretty glad I live in a country that has 3 universities in my state alone ranked higher than the best university in Japan. You can, however, go to bad neighborhoods in the inner cities and laugh at minority children stuck in terrible schools because of a lack of school choice, and failed policies.

Would a dumb country have 40 universities in the top 50 global rankings? Innovate the most technologically? Somehow become the richest in the world? Cure polio? Pioneer space travel? Have an entertainment empire that has produced the vast majority of classic movies and continues to gross $10 billion a year? Invents baseball, basketball, volleyball, snowboarding, skateboarding, football?

If you're talking about literature, the United States has 11 Nobel laureates in Literature - the 2nd most, compared to Japan's 2. I could go on for hours about this.

If that's a dumb country, sign me fuck up.

Is there a Japanese equivalent of "fuck"? An all encompassing word that can be used as any part of speech?

>replying to the english teacher venting out his stress of having to deal with Japanese kids and knowing hardly any Japanese

Literally babby's first university book.
That or Catcher in the Rye. Typical trash everyone in college reads, and then nothing else.

My understanding of it is that it's the East Asian equivalent of 'lol'.

Actually, more like high school shit now that I think about it.
Lord of the Flies comes to mind, too. Dorian Gray and Mark Twain trash also falls in this category.

I ain't trying to take a side here, but for the record, there's a difference between books that are written/assigned to make young adults happy (like The Hunger Games) and books that are assigned to make young adults suffer in school (The Great Gatsby, The Cather in the Rye, etc...). Generally the term "Young Adult," when used to describe a genre, refers only to works in the former category.

Calling the Great Gatsby a "young adult" novel is like calling filling income taxes a "popular hobby," because a lot of people do it in their spare time. Your logic isn't wrong, but...

Meanwhile, semi-related question: if I were interested in reading technical texts (like engineering journals), would that require significantly more kanji than general reading, or would the problem be mostly vocabulary?

The speaker is getting ready to leave a village, and is approaching the exit gate, on motorbike:
目の前に門が見えてきて、大きくなっていった。びゅうっ! と聞こえた時、門が私の頭の上を通り越していった。
"Right before I heard "Byuu!"", the gate had already passed over my head."

The speaker is trying to stop and dismount from a motorbike for the first time:
自転車だと地面につま先が軽くついたらそれでよかったのに、この時は足先に重みを感じて、あれっと思った時には、そのまま体が左に傾いてしまった。
"Right before I thought "Huh!?", my body immediately slanted to the left."

For literal translations, am I accurate? I am perceiving these "「sentence 1]時[sentence 2]" constructions as sentence 2 occurring in time before sentence 1.

Most mathematical terms are just a question of vocabulary as far as I can tell. I'm not an engineer so I can't help you too much.

But it's going to be easier than biology or humanities.

lol you wrote all those words

suck my cock nerd

斗「そんなに言うなら一人で行けよ。」
月「それはノーサンキュー。」
斗「何それ、欧米?」
月「いや、かなり簡単な英語だよ。」
斗「英語? 今は日本語喋れよ。すかしやがって。」

My understanding is most japanese scientific studies are written in English

Keep going my dude.
It only gets easier the more you do it.

フザケな

先、「声の形」を観た。すっごく美しくて、感情的な映画だった。二回泣いてさせちゃったぁ

「聲の形」だよ、バカ

ああ、何かがおかしいと思った、サンキュウ

>watch namasensei rant about シ, ツ, ソ, and ン
>worried i'll have trouble reading them
>get anxious as fuck
>end up never having any trouble recalling them, not even relying on a mnemonic
>can even distinguish ソ and ン fairly easily when the font isn't fucked up
Usually my brain is dumb but sometimes without warning it'll just click perfectly with things. So glad it was full latter mode for learning kana.

Can someone tell me what every one of these mean?

Thanks

Learn to use a dictionary nerd

>びゅうっ! と聞こえた時
~At the time I heard byuu~ ... so I'm not sure where you get the "right before" from

あれっと思った時には
I think the 時 is more like "at this particular time"

>そのまま
I don't know how to translate it correctly but it means "in this way" or "with this continuing sensation of heaviness" he slanted to the left

Post some shit writings.

>he
Looks like somebody hasn't read キノの旅

What does くず means here? Is it the negative form of 崩す or is it just 屑さん ?

Context: She just got her 髷 done and it's making her uncomfortable

Could it be 髷崩さないで入れました? "was able to enter without collapsing/ruining the 髷"

Is Japanese women could have the same wide hips?

Oh, so 入れました was refering to her getting herself in the bath. Gotcha
Thanks

I think they can fit a nanka pretty much anywhere, although the function of the word doesn't change. And it has no derogatory meaning.

They just use ヤる for "to fuck" right? And クソ for "Fuck!"

Yes but neither of these words are as ubiquitous as fuck is in the english language.

なんか seems at least a bit derogatory, or perhaps dismissive. Obviously you wouldn't expect to find something exactly the same, but it's an interesting comparison

Please help me make sense of this sentence.

>やめさせなければいけない
does that count as a single word?

well it's two words so no

yes, ignore the dumb german

Today I dreamed there was a better site than lang-8, full of nips and no phoneposting. Actually, since it was dream logic, all the nip people were face-to-face with me in a big room, chatting friendly and correcting my shit.

Now that's a neat site, too bad I didn't get the URL.

did you also have a dream where production was a useful and meaningful skill in your country