Thoughts on this show? I quite like it despite its flaws

Thoughts on this show? I quite like it despite its flaws.

But with season 2, why did they introduce the whole Crusaders plot? It doesn't make any sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fnIUWYx926Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first and only bump

objectively it's one of the worst netflix shows but it panders to me so I watched it and sort of enjoyed it

i just wish the romances in these types of things weren't always so lame

I don't think it's objectively terrible, there's definitely stuff it accomplishes quite well. I think plot wise they just include too many things; trying to mix political espionage, romance and wuxia into a setting hardly anyone really knows about. You can tell they wanted to compete with Game of Thrones, but they forgot people don't want to watch Asian movies

le ebul christians

I don't think the Mongol Christian was portrayed that bad. If anything the two main villains behind both seasons have been the Arabs, Yusuf and Ahmad.

kublai is the only reason i didnt stop watching after 2 episodes desu

Wasn't he literally a pedophile?

>trusting Jew writers to portray Christians positive

They don't outright say it but you can tell that's the sin he was trying to repent for.

MARCO
KUBLAI CAME INTO MY HOUSE
DISRESPECTED MY WHOLE FAMILY

the Crusaders are supernatural it's implied at least. They'll be the center of the next season.

>Are you going to be my white savior?
I literally laughed.

I think they only introduced the crusaders plot to 1: Justify knights versus mongols, which was cool and 2: To bring in Prester John, which should be interesting. Of course, it means they're going way more fictional/fantastic going forward.

Didn't they say they were focusing more on Hundred Eyes next season?

>Expecting the holy Roman Catholic Church to be portrayed as anything other than yet another power hungry political entity in a series set in the 13th century.

Oh fuck I forgot about Prester John, I realised that's who the guy at the end Marco's Dad finds.

well the Crusaders were clearly set up to be the next big antagonist I meant. Hundred Eyes might be a part of that story, but the prophet guy was already teased pretty heavily.

Yup.

nice

Not trying to bring that wewuz shit in here but I thought Prester John was based on the Ethiopian Coptic Kings?

well he wasn't real to begin with, but he was based on exiled romans that escaped through Parthia eastward

This show annoys me. The production values are great and the acting from some of the characters (Kublai especially) is fantastic, but it doesn't feel like there's a semblance of plot anywhere. It's just Mongol vs Chinese power politics

So fucking stupid. Plenty of interesting RL shit went down when Marco was in China. Including Kublai getting BTFO in Japan and Vietnam.

No one knows, it's a legend even more obscure than King Arthur

Prester John's a legend, so it doesn't really matter. The interesting thing is how he magically can vanquish entire armies and what the deal with that is revealed to be.

They'll save that for Season 4, where Polo and Hundred Eyes get shipwrecked on Japanese shores and have to find a way to get back to China.

At least S1 was great for Yellow Fever fetishes. Different Asian nipples and depicted sex.

Then S2 came around and the most we got was Kublai getting succ off screen by that Chinese whore assassin.

and Ahmad pounding his own Mother

I think that last scene implied the Mongols at that encampment fled, not that they were vanquished. That would be a fuck ton of major characters to kill off-scene.

>where Polo and Hundred Eyes get shipwrecked on Japanese shores and have to find a way to get back to China.

This... has so many possibilities.

agreed, the guy that plays Kublai single-handedly carries that show at times. He's so damn good in that role.

>those parts where he gets pegged by the whore assassin

Another show dragged down by its main character. Marco is the worst part of it.

He's only bad with the romantic parts

Which get a nauseating amount of screen time. Most of the time I'd rather see his side kick characters go on adventures together instead of having him involved at all when that shit's not happening.

Shang Tsung?

The show would be dead without based Kublai.
Marco has his moments when working with Kublai and 3eyes but sometimes feels weak with his romance plots as mentioned before.

Crusaders feel somewhat out of place especially after the first army is defeated and a second one shows up right after that.
Otherwise I like it since Mongolia is a nice setting for once and the production value and script are worthwhile.

>it's a karakorum episode
>throat singing starts playing

i guess to make christianity into a boogyman again

best intro I've ever seen

also the guy who plays marco is he related to someone important or what because why put someone so fresh in the lead role?

i mean, compare this guy to the dude who plays Da Vinci in Da Vincis demons

what is this the Kublai fan club?

you're right thou

Were people really this handsome in the medieval period/renaissance?

Maybe, their teeth weren't anywhere near as clean though

>people don't want to watch Asian movies
the sick japanese and korean shit of course not. but there isn't really any about mongols, so thats a different thing.

it would be better though, if it were more historycally correct

Was reading about Kutulun earlier today as I do every now and then and saw that she was in this show.
Didn't know about the netflix series before and now I think I may have to watch it.

I'm still hoping for that upcoming Kazakh Khanate show

Yusuf was the honest advisor/spymaster that died so Marco could find the real mastermind to the assassination. He's pretty based, the opposite of Ahmed.

I like how they worked around the >subtitles by having all the main cast made up of American or Anglicized Asians who represented their characters in English Drama, thought it worked quite well and didn't clash too hard with the extras, who you could tell were native Chinese/Mongols.

lel first thing I thought when I first saw him as Kaidu

isn't that haram?

Kublai and the Empress are the best part of the show. They're constantly swinging between despicable, conniving, scheming or downright villainous acts, but then their better side is revealed, and you see why they do these things. The Empress especially, I actually felt for her despite all the shady shit she was doing - you could tell it was only for her family and not out of some personal need for power.

I really like this show. I like to compare it to Game of Thrones but with a more focused story.

I also think that the crusaders plot makes sense because it will probably be the main plot of season 3.

This show had so many retarded but entertaining moments

youtube.com/watch?v=fnIUWYx926Y

Kuthuilun>Meilin>Chabi>>>killed merchan's daughter>>>>>>>>>>>Kokuchin