So we all know when an actor does this "I'm acting" thing to show his skills, how dicaprio always does...

so we all know when an actor does this "I'm acting" thing to show his skills, how dicaprio always does. what is the screenwriter equivalent of this "I'M WRITING"

unnecessarily killing off characters for shock / meme value

The thing that came into my mind was quoting scripture.

By attempting to subvert tropes

Everything tarantula writes is "guys look at me I'm writing"

leaving sweat and ketchup over scriptsheet

First post best post.

Everyone wants to be Tarantino now and have major characters drop like flies, really just a lazy way to come off as more clever writing.

Characters that try way too hard to sound smart when speaking and other characters playing along with it by way of banter, or are are left incapacitated by the character's crushint wit

>Aaron Sorkin
>Quentin Tarantino

>narrator lists a supposed quality of a character
>the opposite happens on screen
>narrator pauses for a second
>'he was/ did not'

They write a scene that consists entirely of two characters in a room having a conversation for 10 + minutes about something most would think trivial, but for a writer of high caliber, it becomes a symphony of the spoken word

Writing monologues, usually, this one was cut out of The Town (2010)

>"Dino the Dago." I like it. Subtle. You know, back a couple of years ago I put Marty O'Donnell and his guys away. Name rings a bell, yeah? He was a friend of your father's. Anyway, I got a letter from the widow of a guy they killed, thanking me for giving her some closure to that part of her life.

Sometimes when I'm depressed, Doug, I remember that letter and think to myself that if, God forbid, somebody decides to put a few rounds in my head while I'm taking a walk, or having dinner with my family or at the movies, I wouldn't regret one bit doing what I did and becoming the guy you and your piece of shit buddies hate. I sleep like a baby, because ultimately I know that some hard-working, kind, good person out there doesn't have to fear as much for their lives when they're standing in line at a bank at the end of the day, hoping some assclown doesn't break their head with the butt of a fucking gun.

"Dino the Dago"? I'm gonna tell the guys about that one, Doug. Shit, I'll wear it with pride tomorrow at work, 'cause I don't give a fuck how you or your scumbag, nappy-headed, cunt friends feel about what you think is "dishonorable" or "degenerate" and if you think I'm lying, Doug, you're even more stupid than you look.

>Screenplay: Ben Affleck
of course it is
you can just imagine Ben smiling to his ears while writing this, thinking "damn I'm good"

Exactly this.

Unnaturally long-winded monologues so the writer can make some "DEEP" or clever point, not unusually stunning his peers into silence because of how COMPELLING his speech is, is the hack writer's trademark . Bojack Horseman is full of them.

>scumbag, nappy-headed, cunt friends

Did Chris Terrio and Ben Affleck really write this?

characters speaking languages they have no idea how to

>referencing ultra obscure historical fact / event

Max Landis

my dinner with andre

The entire Juno script.

>written by a woman whose name is DIABLO

fucking devil works

Non linear plot.

>tfw I literally threw the acts of my script in the air, shot it in that order and received a fuckload of undue praise for an assignment.

>also wrote Jennifer's Body

this

especially when everyone in the room accepts it as widely taught and someone provides political commentary

Characters sitting silently for several seconds in between exchanges in dialogue, staring at each other as if their turn has come up and it's somehow acceptable to wait 20 seconds before responding. In general I hate unnatural dialogue, if you stay silent in a real conversation for more than 5 seconds the person will probably just repeat themselves or get angry that you're ignoring them.

my dinner with writing

true

i don't think it is particularly part if it is somehow got worked into a part of the plot or the story
but if it was a pass by mention for a cheap joke , or pun, or something in the vein of a show off line then it can fuck off

sounds more like a directors choice than writers

sopranos pulled that off pretty well

Aaron Sorkin is the only answer.

What's that script he wrote where the egomaniac character gives an off the cuff condescending speech to a person he deems below him?

>mfw the correct answer is ALL OF THEM

Good point. Nicolas Winding Refn does this all the time, like his movies take place in a different universe or something.

autisverse

His old films like the Pusher trilogy were realistic and natural, but his recent ones are like that, yeah.

The entirety of American Beauty is "I'm writing!"

It's all went down hill after drive

It can be both to be honest, writers will often write (long pause) in their screenplays, but stylistic choices are also possible by directors depending on who has more creative control

Based Refn

It's 'I'm writing!', 'I'm directing!', 'we're acting!' all at once. Literally the most pretentious, overrated film ever made

But Valhalla Rises introduced the nearly mute violent autist in his filmography

disagree. I feel like over the course of Refn's career, he started to approach movies as purely cinematic and expressionist rather than feeling the need to anchor them too deeply in imitation of reality. I don't think one approach is superior to the other, they're just formalist choices. Obviously the former is going to seem more pretentious because the jettisoning of realism makes it more obvious that the film is trying to express something, but I don't think it's necessarily a more obnoxious style as long as it's restrained to some degree

these

>tfw pissed the wife didn't get her comeuppance
>just kill the man that's trying to improve his life

This

Why is DiMemeo such a manlet with awkwardly shaped head and weird forehead structure? Why doesn't he wear the neck?

This desu. It's much easier to find examples of "I'm writing" than to pin down a definition, but Tarararatarungo is pretty on the money.

Character describing a minor problem they have for no reason which happens to mirror the main theme of the movie.
Repeating a memorable line from the beginning of the movie at the end of the movie where it has new significance.
Also my favourite:
>Character A asks question
>Character B doesn't answer
>Character A continues talking, digresses
>Character B makes abrupt, seemingly unrelated statement
>Oh wait it's the answer to character A's initial question :^)

Didn't an author do this?

>Repeating a memorable line from the beginning of the movie at the end of the movie where it has new significance.
Bonus points if this is the movie's title

All these are true, but it can also be great, such as Glengarry Glen Ross, Metropolitan or Manhattan.

The whole snappy come-backs and one liners are in all the Film Noirs, but it works perfectly because of the genre.

I think so. I think I got the idea from some random trivia factoid. I feel like it was Catch 22 but can't be bothered to look it up.

In any case, it was the only time I tried my hand at writing. Wrote the most basic story requiring no effort from my actors, jumbled it up and had the shot list planned before the story was even complete.

>"10/10, risky move using non linear narrative pays off"

Tarentino is actually brilliant.
The problem is Tarantino imitators.

Millenials are unaware it was done decades ago by Hitchcock: The Post.

>i saw psycho once

The scenes in The Gambler when we are supposed to believe Wahlberg is an English Professor

I saw about 10 Hitchcock's films, but even if I only saw Psycho my point would still be 100% legit.

This happened during Bridge of Spies, people in the audience quietly chuckled in a self-congratulatory way for remembering it. Good movie though

>I'm writing

This guy's dialogue

Characters talk for several minutes about some "weird" shit like burgers and foot massages.

Obviously most well known because of Tarantino, who at least kind of makes it work, but made absolutely unbearable by the hordes of film students who wish they were Tarantino. Dude has the most wannabe impostors in school of any director/writer and they're all unwatchable garbage.

>characters start talking about hip bands, cult-but-not-so-popular films or challenging books.

>having an opinion that doesn't have cuck, faggot, or pseud in it is pretentious

no wonder people like that dude don't post more often on Sup Forums

When a character goes on about a horribly wrong popsci meme like using 10% of your brain. It puts this picture into my mind how the writer is typing on his macbook thinking he's so smart.

>not deliberately presenting urban myths and popsci shit as fact to piss people off

criminally underrated post

These were the two that instantly came into my mind. Also Joss Whedon.

>Millenials are unaware it was done decades ago by Hitchcock: The Post.

Nobody is doing it because they want to be like Hitchcock though, read the post.

>Repeating a memorable line from the beginning of the movie at the end of the movie where it has new significance.

Call me a pleb, I like this one.

A lot of these things, on paper, are not inherently bad.

The reason they're so popular is because they've been used to good effect before.

.....................................sure

Movies about a screenwriter

>being so uneducated that you can't understand historical references in mainstream films

Why would you admit that? Not the film's fault that you're an idiot

Holy fuck yes. It's so fucking full of itself

Referencing or quoting books everyone read when they were ten or learned about in high school
such as
>Alice in Wonderland
>The Odyssey
>Any nursery rhyme
>Moby Dick
>To kill a Mockingbird
>The Great Gatsby
>Lord of the Flies
>1984
>The Scarlet Letter
>Of Mice and Men
>Hamlet/Romeo and Juliet/ Midsummer Night's Dream
>Animal Farm
>Great Expectations
>Fahrenheit 451
>Canterbury Tales

If you watch any shitty "artsy" indie horror movie someone will always quote a famous author or philosopher or the bible. Or the writer will think they came up with some brilliant quote about life and death and throw that in.

>every character people are supposed to like has a quick comeback to everything.

movie dialogue was always stupid but god its getting ridicolous.

I felt that was done on purpose to create a nostalgia for the cheesiness of film in the 60s

I didn't read any of them, my school only asked me to watch the Fahrenheit 451 movie

i dont get this meme. what do leonardo do to show hes acting? by being a good fucking actor?
this board will never be pleased. a good actor comes along and people say theyre just trying to act. wtf?

Hitchcock did it to progress story. You're fucking ass crapping in your pants if you think he did it for shock value. They had shock value, sure, but it was part of the plot.

the implication is that he's in scenes where he shows his acting ability in a obvious way, not that he's not a good actor

he starts screaming usually

if its in context? he doesnt write the script. he shouts when hes meant to

writing smug female characters

allegorical monologues

see: tyrion talking about the kid who kills beetles in GOT.

I think it worked pretty well in the Steve Jobs film that Sorkin wrote and Danny Boyle directed.

It was almost presented like a stage play, and if I'm gonna listen to snappy witty dialogue then that's the kind of presentation you require. If you're trying to do a naturalistic style of film with that kind of dialogue then you can get tae fuck.

Not him, but in that scene in particular you can sort of see the cogs in his brain going "if I do this it will be great acting" rather than sort of it feeling natural.

Like at that moment I don't think "man this guy is insane" I think "Leo is acting in a movie and it's pretty good".

Charlie Kauffman.

why is it that it's always tarantino films get this kind of meme acting. like didn't kurt russell destroy an antique guitar in the hateful eight? wow such authentic acting bravo

What were some instances where things were wrirtten into movies SPECFICALLY because they were cool or exceptionally smart sounding, even though it might not exactly make sense with the rest of the movie

i actually don't mind this at all.

I was gonna say Tarantino but a lot of his "useless" dialog actually serves a point.

He sort of does the old "show don't tell" but in dialog form quite a bit.

This scene

say aufederzein to your nazi balls

I never seen so many unfuckable women at the same time

They're all Japanese too, so much for your perfect anime fantasies

Cigarrette ashes and coffee rings, liquor rings/spots. Maybe a drop of blood in there somewhere.

Literally The Brink. Fuck that propagandistic shitpile

I've searched far and wide, but I couldn't find a more pointless show. Fucking sitcoms have had more compelling story arcs. Gilmore Girls is like talking in an empty room. There's nothing.