/daily/ - "outsider house" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Clavietika/r0.5-5.0,ss.rd.dd
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/iglooghost/neo-wax-bloom/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda-mega-express-orchestra/vula/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/damien-dubrovnik/great-many-arrows/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/greg-fox/the-gradual-progression/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/giant-claw/soft-channel/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vijay-iyer-sextet/far-from-over/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sote/sacred-horror-in-design/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/claude-speeed/infinity-ultra/
youtube.com/watch?v=c9COdcj2bp0
youtube.com/watch?v=bcwYp0musC8
detritae.blogspot.co
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/brood-ma/daze-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince-of-denmark/8/
mega.nz/#!wVYHxDxZ!_VQRL75XpzG2WdxWGiInzqw-K6foiiCfxK7ZlYCnLqE
rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sampha - Process is the best album of this year

those big letters of daily are producing me a boner

fuck off

Make sure you play some Monk today!

name 1 better album

Hello /daily/

Recommend me something based on my 5s and 4,5 please!
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Clavietika/r0.5-5.0,ss.rd.dd

Fishmans

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/iglooghost/neo-wax-bloom/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andromeda-mega-express-orchestra/vula/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/damien-dubrovnik/great-many-arrows/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/greg-fox/the-gradual-progression/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/giant-claw/soft-channel/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vijay-iyer-sextet/far-from-over/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sote/sacred-horror-in-design/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/claude-speeed/infinity-ultra/

Just realized I posted in the old thread
>what forum?
Metalstorm.net
I can't even remember my old username but it kinda sucks looking back now

The site sucks, I mean

hi
maybe try iglooghost - neo wax bloom
its kinda spork and excessive i guess

cheer accident - life isn't like that

Hey daily! I've been listening to some stuff but don't have time to update the chart or write my thoughts on what I've heard, been busy with uni life
Listening to an old favorite, Gil Scott-Heron's Pieces Of A Man. It's nice to listen to something other than bleeps again

hey benji
ok nice

also outsider house is a meme right

it kinda is a meme but an appropriate and enjoyable response to mainstream hi-fi house

yeah definitely

youtube.com/watch?v=c9COdcj2bp0
hmmm

u tell me

youtube.com/watch?v=bcwYp0musC8
hmmmmmmm

lol this is really bad what is this?

looks like one of the few hundred mediocre synthwave albums from a synthwave musician

t. knows one of these guys

>go on reddit for first time to see carbon based lifeforms ama
>see this
>cringe immediately

fuck off

what accel said, but the music is a part of an alt-right EDM microgenre just because of song names that sound like Breitbart headlines and not necessarily because it "sounds" republican other than the fact that it's extremely basic/mediocre/abletoncore.

cool

why can't republicans make good music?

Punk singles today.

haha CRINGE XD what a fucken loser ahah right my fellow four-channers?? I only go on plebbit to screenshot CRINGE comments so I can post them to superior communities so we can get a few KEKS! WHat? yu don't knpw what a KEK is?ahahhhaaha forst day on the internet you reddit LOSER:@!! if I evhyr got te balls to ask a question to a band it would b . alot less cringe and probably funny unless its IRONIC then i can use that a s a SHIELD to hide my insecurities HAHAH KEK

>completely ignores the shitty joke
based carbon life forms

lmao never even noticed the titles

tribbered %]

cringe

f-fishmans

fucj drumpf ex-dee

haha yeah fuck reddit amirite

join us on voat my guys

no it's okay because it's ironic and posted on four chan dot org

This is the typical liberal brainwashed college student folks, this is what the mainstream media is doing to our youth. I feel sorry for these kids... but the media, they're satan worshipping, child raping interdimensional vampires that are SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF THIS COUNTRY AND I'M FUCKING SICK OF IT, YOU FUCKERS! Sorry.

join the daily threads on stormfront and the ben shapiro forums

pizzagate israel

made me think

whoa...........................................................

detritae.blogspot.co uk/2016/12/fig-1-reissue.html
Some pretty cool bagpipe drone shit. 3 tracks of piping overlayed. There doesn't seem to be much about the guy online. Got me wondering are there any cases where people were fooled by someone pretending to have uncovered some obscure piece of music when in reality they made it themselves?

Anyway it sounds good to me, check it out if you like Henry Flynt etc

of course
case in point: Dogwander is actually both Haino and Jandek

damn... just deleted all of my obama records

Thank you folks

I had the little grids ep of iglooghost so if i like it i will try with neo wax!
I also will check cheer accident!

Listening to this because transgod has it in 4 stars and i want some power pop, the secondary genres gave me some doubts but let's see

>owning obama music in the first place
>supporting globalism
-__-

sorry giys too busy figjting against fascism to give a hoot about my hygeine. im smelly boy smoke weed....

>dj with glasses
jesus christ i can't tell if that's an actual outsider house name or a joke

how's the dream life going?

I finally bumped this up to a 10. It's basically been on repeat since I've heard it. Not a weak track.

good is good

it blows any other uk bass out of the water
why is that jim

eh
it uses a very steady palette of sounds and the tracks gets really catchy at times, and it's kinda hip hoppy
and that makes it easy to get into even for someone not into club stuff, like coming straight from exai or something i think
cause it's not uk bass desu so what are you comparing it to exactly

I recognise the second track, wasn't it from Aphex's day for night setlist or something?

a 3 second google confirms

also you could check out Communion by Rabit, idk if you'll like it cause it's less immediate and catchy and beat-driven but it's connected to it in my mind somehow

actually maybe just the 3 first tracks from that haha

Try this too
Your biggest complaint might be the very consistent rhythm over the ENTIRE album, but I think it makes it more like a club mix
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/brood-ma/daze-1/

I don't remember any moments from this album at all so I should relisten

I don't know what happened to the person's post that just finished asking for minimal techno but if you're still lurking i think you'd enjoy James Blake's Order Pan EP. I used to be really into his solo stuff before Overgrown came out. He's since dropped in quality but i still recommend it because often his current stuff overshadows his small works

supposedly the king (prince) of minimal techno
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince-of-denmark/8/

wee i can fit more package goodies into the photo now that i have a better phone
tag: pig69

aye this one ain't bad
tag: pig69

So is this just a Have a Nice Life take on indie garbage or what?

Best outsider house music = Peter Gabriel

The other albums that are tagged as uk bass on rym that I've heard lmao
Yeah it's basically grime but pretty much everyone considers it to be uk bass

This looks exactly like That's Harakiri

Which is probably why everyone shat on it

you can tell I'm sad because my voice is high pitched and trembling

5-/10

Sup /daily/. I was at a strip mall today, and I found a CD-R nestled in with a stack of free newspapers. It was a 2 hour recording of Buddhist chanting, which makes sense since it was in a Chinese neighborhood, but it's still kind of weird.

>Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
A lot more run-of-the-mill (and thus disappointing) than I expected. Pearl is the sole standout in my eyes because the dance beat makes it sound like if Soon was full-on alt-rock. Everything else is pretty decent, but not very inspired. I bet even Pearl pales in comparison to its alternative dance/madchester contemporaries, but I haven't listened to any of those so it gets a pass.

>Jon Hopkins - Contact Note
I'm not sure what to make of this. A majority of the tracks are this kind of ambient downtempo with stereotypical "organic" arrangements. There's a lot of soft piano that sounds vaguely like Keith Kenniff, and gratuitous female choral parts that sound like they were ripped straight out of a new age album. Then there's a couple of more IDM influenced tracks that have this bouncy breakbeat percussion that sounds strangely "mainstream" (the song 100 even has some fidgety drops that made me think of the brostep formula for a second). Initially it seems like the two styles are incompatible, but they're both pretty inoffensive and sound like they could be in the soundtrack for some casual indie game. That sounds pretty harsh, but Eingya is one of my 5s so you know I like this kind of business.

you stole some old Chinese man's mixtape that he hid for his friend to pick up in the stack of newspapers that nobody takes
20 years of bad karma for you

Upload it

ngl just bought tickets for teen suicide

What are your top 5 best albums of 2017 so far?

oh fug

mega.nz/#!wVYHxDxZ!_VQRL75XpzG2WdxWGiInzqw-K6foiiCfxK7ZlYCnLqE

The writing on the CD says it's the Great Compassion Mantra.

mount eerie - a crow looked at me
batfinks - mosisac
jorge - true friendship
ema-bug-moubus-piano - mouse eats bug
brockhampton - saturation II

rateyourmusic.com/list/Accelerando_/2017-select-selects/

Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin' (1995)
>east coast hip hop, boom bap, hardcore hip hop

Something about this just seems very standard to me, I can't really put my finger on it. It does the dark, raw boom bap sound well, and the MCs are both great, it just lacks any real charm or pizzaz on the production front. The beats are definitely the lesser piece of the puzzle here, they're alright, and they get better the rawer and more frantic they get, they're just really standard and kinda underwhelming, especially when paired with the great MCs. I'll take Enta da Stage over this, any day.

2.5+

Billy Nicholls - Would You Believe (1968)
>psychedelic pop, baroque pop, singer/songwriter

Every RYM review of this mentions the usual suspects—The Beatles, Kinks, Beach Boys, Zombies, etc., etc. I'll have to agree with the general consensus here, this is a worthy addition to the pantheon of '60s psych pop that never really dinstinguishes itself from the crowd. Everything about this just screams nondescript, Nichols and co. don't do anything new or noteworthy with the arrangements, and Nichols himself isn't terribly great of a vocalist. What we're left with is a catchy, undeniably cool and pleasant album. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, and you'd probably be better off just listening Odessey and Oracle, but hey, it's rock solid.

2.5+

(1/2)

(2/2)

Tom Lehrer - An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer (1959)
>satire, musical comedy

58-year-old comedy record that is still shockingly funny and fresh, I am legitimately amazed. It's all about Lehrer's delivery, especially in the spoken word segments. Dude knows how to deliver a joke, and he /really/ knows how to let a joke linger to squeeze every last drop of humor out of it. This record starts off with Lehrer deadpanning "I’d like to take you now on wings of song as it were and try and help you forget, perhaps, for a while, your drab wretched lives", and it's absolutely perfect, he's got the style of Steve Martin twenty years before Steve Martin was even a thing. The musical elements are more hit and miss. There are more novelty songs like "The Elements" that grate rather than entertain, but god, some of these songs are insanely good, and legitimately hilarious. "Oedipus Rex", the genre-shifting "Clementine" (that Gilbert & Sullivan pastiche, dear lord), "The Masochism Tango", hit after hit after hit. Listen to this if you like to laugh, seriously.

3.0+

Kemistry & Storm - DJ Kicks (1999)
>drum and bass

Underwhelming. Drum and bass often suffers from being too static and that issue is in full force here. Over the course of an hour, this moves very little, staying in its mid-tempo comfort zone for an interminable amount of time. Both Kemistry and Storm are solid DJs, definitely, the core beats here are very good. A bit chiller and more laid-back than I like my d'n'b, but good nonetheless. It's both of the DJs' refusal to switch anything up that hurts this for me. There are some interesting production tricks towards the end of this mix, but they're a bit too little too late.

2.0+

i had to change some things around on this btw i couldn't find three of the albums anywhere

Various Artists - Ecstatic Music of the Jemaa El Fna (2010)
>gnawa

I honestly had no idea what to expect from this, but I sure as shit didn't expect what it actually sounds like. The cover art and the title had me thinking this would be folky, what I got what lo-fi, fuzzed-out, noisy psych rock jams, and they are absolutely badass. It's repetitive, and in a lot of ways it really does remind me of our favorite meme molam album, just with a lot more grit and raw, surging energy. This is what carries this album, it's one of the most straightforwardly raw and upfront albums I've ever heard, and it's amazing.

3.5-

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (1963)
>hard bop

I was gonna grill this for being super easy-listening, but then I accidentally let it play through nearly twice, so I think I'm really digging this. It's easy to listen to, but it's not easy listening, it's just one of the most effortlessly pleasing jazz albums I've ever heard. My original criticisms definitely still do stand, but Burrell's immaculate guitar work just melts together with every instrument so perfectly. It's a musical midnight snack, perfect comfort food.

i h8 work :< gotta play catch up now

Otomo Yoshihide & Junji Hirose -
> Junk Noise, Turntablism
breadth of sound sources, and the arrangement gives it justice - underneath the scattered buzzes and croaks, the turntable undulates. The sweetness of the abbreviated pop tunes stir the disparate sounds into a cohesive unit and manage the transition between ideas.

Will say the treble sometimes leans too hot for my tastes. Still, would be prime to burn the ears when going on a brisk/aimless walk thru the city

Greenpot Bluepot - Daymares and Nightdreams
>avant-folk, lo-fi
Much like Warraw, i think the songs get progressively better, progressively more interesting. Lyrically fun and there is a proclivity to allowing for more thickness to enter her voice - a good choice to cut through the lo-fi scuzz. Not to say the scuxzz isnt great - in fact the tracks with heavier usage of distortion are more interesting - adds some much needed texture to otherwise minimal arrangement. That's where the record falls a tad flat to me - at times theres not enough to furnish the minimal melodies, i think the light piano excursions on Mr. Selfish and Miss Sucker would have been a good template for pursuing more depth without sacrificing the minmal nature of main melodies.

Like going through a haunted house in the suburbs where the decorative choices lead one to admire the nonsensical nature of the idea of a haunted house more so than the fear the idea done right should inspire.

Bump + backlog update

ask for thoughts but yeah some decent stuff

what's that prine like? not listened to any later releases from him.

was pretty cruisey singer/songwriter country - a few good tracks and some filler but then maybe it's not my kind of country. it had a very pristine recording quality which to me kind of quashed any sense of authenticity. enjoyed listening but couldn't imagine a good reason to go back, is his earlier stuff good?

yeah, i like his first 2 quite a bit anyway, singer/songwriter man and his geetar stuff. Production was the thing I was worrying about with a later record, his early stuff has a bit of production but tends to let his songwriting do most of the talking.

Tourney update:

stick and accel advance, need a recc from you in the Single category
last call for Whitie and TranchWilliams; otherwise Blapp and jimjazz proceed (please provide live album recc's as a contingency plan)

Greetings daily, how is Autumn treating you? What's your essential autumn-core?

What bug is this?

how'd his face get burnt

So I just learned that Fishmans once opened for Pavement in Japan. And they only played Long Season.

neat.

Thank fuck it's a leaf, i though you posted a picture of a dogs face with it's skin peeled off.

Fuckin' tripfags

You sick fuck

just watched stranger things that was sum goodshit

borzoi is a long boy isnt it