Elrond is 6000 years old. His father is a "great seafarer" according to Wikipedia

Elrond is 6000 years old. His father is a "great seafarer" according to Wikipedia

In real human history, the time between the 3rd and 2nd millennia was known as the "Age of Sail" meaning that Elrond father would live around this time, meaning that Elrond lives in about the years 3000-4000 AD
how the fuck have they not even discovered gunpowder? Are the elves the Africans of Middle Earth?

what the fuck are you talking about

>discovered gunpowder

it doesnt grow on trees, it has to be invented.
now go take an autism pill and lie down.

>how the fuck have they not even discovered gunpowder?
The fire of orthanc was gunpowder, you goofy cuck.

Also, tolkien lived through both world wars, so he had the understandable position of "fuck gunpowder."

>what was the powder they used to blow up Helm's Deep

really makes you think

Really gets the noggin going

>not really gets the noggin joggin

Reminder that Tolkien's elfs can live up to 1 million years

Let's be fair here, humanity has been around for much longer and we still can't make magic rings.

really makes you think

It's less that Elves couldn't make gunpowder it's more about Elves would actively suppress gunpowder because they would try to prevent the world from becoming even more dangerous and lethal.

They probably haven't even invented the toilet paper.

also I'm not sure how heavily you'd even need gunpowder when your military involves giant eagles and a guy with a flying boat

Elves were higher beings who lived in harmony with nature. Gun powder was a tool that would work against nature, which is why it was only used by dark forces.

Gunpowder had been discovered, Elves just didn't use it.

If you knew anything about Tolkien you would know that machinery and anything modern is shunned by elves, who believe that the world should stay in a more pure, natural state. Hobbits only use technology for farming, and dwarves all use it for mining. The only ones who use it for war are sauron, sauruman and the orcs.

>The only ones who use it for war are sauron, sauruman and the orcs.

Men too.

Are they amish?

True, to a lesser extent.

Men are partially corrupted at the time of the war of the ring.

I'd say it's more about isolation. Races in middle earth are all like the Japanese basically. They do their own thing and don't care about anything else.

Explain Brendan Fraser then.

the world of arda is way older than that m8.

gunpowder / industrialization is reserved exclusively for the bad guys in tolkien's universe. it was his way of criticizing where england was headed. he was quite the environmentalist.

I feel like I would laugh but I don't get the joke

>be immortal elf
>can weild magics
>have knowledge of the gods and what is actually going on in the world
>giving a shit about gunpowder which is pleb tier compared to the REALITY of the world you live in
>have to spend your time making sure human shits that the true god favours over you from wiping themselves out

elrond still fucked up by letting the ring walk away

Brendran Fraser - Gollum
Allimony - ring

One of the things that most horrified Tolkien and is most clearly visible as an influence on his work is the heavy industrialization of the area he grew up in.

They have magic. Who the fuck needs trains when you can teleport.

he got his shit fucked up by a ring

read the fucking prologue lotr is not intended to be allegorical. you are probably right though desu friend, even if tolkien wouldnt admit it

I would never have made the connection, but it makes perfect sense

Actually hang on.

How did Gandalf end up meeting Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas after his fight with the Balrog? Did he walk there?

Why didn't they just teleport the ring into Mt Doom?

Not bad, worth a chuckle.

>teleport
we're talking about LotR here, not World of Warcraft mate

>How did Gandalf end up meeting Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas after his fight with the Balrog? Did he walk there?
Shadowfax

It's not allegory. It's clear Tolkien despised the destruction of nature in favour if industry, which was rampant in the UK during his formative years (he said as much in his letters, with much stronger words) and that's reflected in his work. That doesn't mean that Sauron is supposed to be Hitler and other such nonsense.

Except Sauron can teleport.

When did he teleport?

Every time he dies, for one.

Shadowfag... he is the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers

And please don't say the fall of Numenor.

Pssh

But we did, there are ring bearers among us

>have the ability to teleport
>but only if you die

brilliant

Do you think Tolkien and Varg would get along? They're both quasi-anarchist traditionalists who want to preserve things as they are/were before, but Varg hates Christianity.

Death is pretty insignificant if you're high up on the Tolkien power scale.

Daily reminder that Ungoliant did nothing wrong.

AYO HOLUP

This shit went down 14,000 years before our time

she did nothing right either

>When did he do X?
>AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE TIME HE DID X
>I am a good debater.

>she did nothing right either
Um she made it so that Earth had an actual day/night cycle and not retarded trees.

absolutely not, varg is too... critical, and stubborn. if tolkien was alive today i think he would be critical of brexit and anti-immigration folk.

Yeah based Tolkien would support /ourgirl/ too

he didnt teleport you dunce

WE

feanor>fingolfin desu

WUZ

>Sauron
>Sauronman
pottery
true kino

and then she went and literally ate herself

smooth

ISTARI

So it is speculated, however even if it were true Maiar cannot die.

she wasnt a maia

Retard alert

Gunpowder isn't "machinery". If anything it would be considered alchemy, which they have no problems with

>Who, what, or where Ungoliant came from is not clear; the Eldar and perhaps not even the Valar are certain. It is said by some that she came from the Darkness itself that lies about Arda.

I guess you just blow the gunpowder out your asshole then.

It's the same way the transporters from Star Trek work ;)

Eru created everything, but not this thing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

that doesnt make her a maia, just like it doesnt make tom bombadil one

t. CGPgrey

>In real human history
kill you'reself

>capitalizing Darkness

That used to piss me off as a kid

Hell it still pisses me off

And a gun is...

>Darkness, or "the Dark and the Shadow", is the ever-present evil in the universe beginning with the rebellion of Melkor in his conceit before Eä. It is generally used to refer to the evil of Morgoth and of Sauron over the Ages.

fucking hell

the Dark Powers are Evil

is this a daria meme?

They use far less technology than amish. But then again they use far more magic than amish so there's that.

In the books, the elves live at one with nature, not consuming more than is needed.

This is the basic concept behind elves. Perpetual, yet, stagnant.

Machinery

Fucking love Tolkien threads but hate faggot wikia shitlords like OP.

does this imply matrix was one of the most significant film in our century for he was trying to tell us somethng with it?

Can you point to a map of Middle-Earth and tell me where the gunpowder is?

How old even is Galadriel? She's probably the oldest Elf in Middle-earth and the age is sketchy since she was around before the Sun and the Moon and before time was really kept. The First Age was a long fucking time.

This is some okay bait, might use in the future.

Why didn't they invent an iphone? They couldn't even create a wifi hotspot no wonder these movies were trash

the plains of gorgoroth.

gorgoroth literally means "ash" in black speech.

about 8000 iirc

and yeah shes almost definitely the oldest elf in ME during lotr. the only one who could potentially be older is glorfindel and thats if you believe hes the same glorfindel from the first age.

also cirdan, forgot about him

well, elves don't go there. it might as well be at the bottom of the sea

Isn't he? Isn't there some note about select Elves being able to be sent back after chilling with Mandos for a bit?

agree

What is the oldest being on Middle Earth discount any Valar or Maiar

yeah

i believe he is and so do most people but what it says in canon writing is kind of conflicting since tolkien changed his mind on it several times

he intended to correct that and confirm that they're one and the same but died before he got around to it

Which was invented by Saruman, who was literally the only one interested in inventing things.

>tfw my thread is successful
Feels good lads

isn't celeborn old as fuck too? but yeh, galadriel has been around for a long time for sure - her calling gandalf "mithrandir" is proof enough.

Is that why the other wizards shunned him? Because he dared to invent, instead of living in the woods getting high?

Cirdan at the Havens was literally an Elf of The Great March, so he would be the oldest Elf whose name we know. It's often implied that there are still really old Teleri around, but they don't really do anything so they don't come into the stories.
Galadriel was born in the Age of the Trees, which was far longer than the age of the sun and moon. She could be the equivalent of 8000 or 300,000.
Tolkien purposely left a lot of things abstract I think.

tom bombadil, from the beings we know of

some of the shit living in the depths of the world might be as old as him, but they're never mentioned by name