Warcraft

So I just watched this, and honestly don't why it got the hate that it did. Not saying the movie was great, but it was enjoyable. The orcs themselves stole the movie. The only real weakness were the human characters and the lackluster romance between Garona and Lothar.
Other than that, it was pretty solid. So why did critics pan it so badly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3vHmU5oHs
youtube.com/watch?v=uriUPxg-YVo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Orc Kino?

It was the most miscast movie ever put into production

How so?

>So why did critics pan it so badly?

Duncan Jones (being a Warcraft fan himself) tried so hard to appease the fanboys that he lost the general audiences in the process.

There was so much unexplained shit in the movie (What are the Kirin Tor? What the fuck was that black cube and why did it light up again? Is the Guardian chosen by someone or is it just a title? just to give a few examples) and the pacing especially was a mess. I agree though, that the Orcs were the most likable characters by far.

They panned it because it just sucked ass. There weren't any redeeming features. The visuals were shit - the props/costumes looked like toys, the CGI sucked and the animation lacked the smoothness of previous Blizz FMVs. The actors clearly didn't give a shit and looked embarrassed to be in it, they should have picked unknown actors willing to ham it up a bit. It couldn't decide whether it was campy or serious and sat at an awkward medium. The pacing was terrible, they spend 20 minutes of talking exposition to explain that Gul'dan was bad when they could have achieved that in a 30 second scene of him frying a peon.

All of that could have been forgiven if there'd been good battle scenes, but it didn't even have that. That's what truly sank the film; there was a surprisingly small amount of time dedicated to battle scenes, and the battles themselves were flat, lifeless affairs with no sense of tension or impact. I went into the movie not having read a single review beforehand and was still bored.

I've played Warcraft games and WoW. Me and my friends have no idea what the black cube is supposed to be. We assumed it was a Naaru. Why it wasn't shown who knows. Was it a budget issue?

The black cube is supposed to be the contained spirit of Alodi, the first guardian.

>and the battles themselves were flat, lifeless affairs with no sense of tension or impact.

The battle between Lothar and Blackhand is the best example of this. It's a showdown between the human commander and arguably the most powerful orc, barring Gul'dan, and it ends in 5 seconds with Lothar cutting his dick in half.

They incorporated that scene of Alodi into the prepatch quests before Legion to give it some background I guess.

only autistic people will find this movie good

wat everyone sans the wizard was spot-on m8

if I didn't play the games there would be nothing of value for me in this movie

As a huge Warcraft fan(WoW, RTS, books) I have to say it was pretty good. It had some dumb decisions(casting for most humans, romance between Garona and Lothar) but overall I thought it was quite enjoyable. Favorite part was the Mak'gora, which was fucking awesome.

I played all of the games (admittedly not in recent years) and I still didn't like it, the best part was the first 15 minutes with the prologue and the tour of Azeroth, it was all downhill after that.

maybe it was pave the way for everquest

imagine what they could do with luclin and frogloks

>Orcs:

Dindu nuffin' wrong!

I think it would've been infinitely better if the humans were CG too. The orcs looked good but not good enough to stand next to real flesh and blood actors. And besides, Warcraft humans without Popeye forearms just don't feel right to me.

>you will never have your brittle bones broken by half orc rage filled snoo snoo

>tfw you never picked up EQ because the lady on the box had giant flat pancake tits.

The main dude hast watery eyes all the time, he looked like he just cried, or was completely wasted. every single scene. bad actor
The young wizard dude looked like some typical beta who plays these games
The king was a dork with no strong chin
his wife, or sister was mexican
the main bad wizard dude was okay, but he should have been older
there are a ton more

if vikings, and got can cast actors who look the part, why couldnt this movie?

it was full of modern haircuts, emotional males, whiney bitches, clean shaven business men, and too many minorties for the sake of being one

The OST was great

youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3vHmU5oHs

Who was the old woman?

I jam out to this all the fucking time. Such a fucking amazing piece, and absolutely feels like WarCraft. This dude nailed the OST, dude did such a good job.

youtube.com/watch?v=uriUPxg-YVo

Go to sleep bryant

If you're not familiar with the Warcraft series, you can easily get lost in it. There are so many scenes and shots in the movie that serves as fan service and has very little to relation to the story. Some exposition would be nice. Not in a ham fisted way of course. You should be able to understand the history and mechanics of the universe. The characters' motives and actions mean more to us that way.

And it's not like there weren't any opportunities to do that. All those opportunities were wasted to deliver exposition that we don't need at all.

There were moments where actors could deliver some powerful performances, but instead they were bogged down to explaining their characters and their relationships with other people, stuff that should have been implied.

The only thing I can say positive about this movie is the visuals. The orcs didn't make me want to vomit and the environments actually look pretty decent.

It was Alodi, the first guardian.
But for some reason they made him a chick.

there random player

dont you get it , thats the point

Its not great, but I thought it was okay. Entertaining enough as it was, but I think that in part it was so disliked because people who know nothing about warcraft will be completely and utterly confused. No movie is fun when you have no grasp of what the fuck is going on and why is someone doing what. I got that impression from the movie while watching it.
A movie that was dumb fun for people who are familiar with warcraft and played WoW at the time it came out, but a confusing mess for everyone else. Frankly, I think its better that way.