Ive been avoiding this for a while since everyone says its basic shit and youtube tier, but holy shit its good as fuck

ive been avoiding this for a while since everyone says its basic shit and youtube tier, but holy shit its good as fuck

it's straight garbo famalam

who calls it basic?

It's boring stock music, nothing of worth. We had this fucking thread countless times.

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about jazz.

I'd like to note that I started this thread meaning exactly that, that Ive been listening to jazz for a long while and avoided it specifically because people would say stuff like this

basically, dont listen to these people

it's okay to enjoy things

What makes it so good? Is it because it's Japanese? He's doing nothing Bill Evans didn't do before him. And Evans did a much better job too.

you're on Sup Forums, it's obviously not

What sets this album apart from any other jazz album? What makes it special?

>yet another bill evansposter
we get it

bill evans fanbase is literally one of the worst on Sup Forums

Bill Evans is my favorite pianist but these two have very little in common, what's your deal?

Not nearly as bad as Ryo Fukui's

That's the whole point. Evans is all about subtlety, nuance, and interplay, three things that Fukui doesn't seem to have any clue about.

fukui fans
>hey guys i admit i don't know much about jazz but i really enjoyed this music

evans fans
>Actually, as a classically trained Musician who played in a highly selective high school jazz band for over three years, I can tell you with utmost certainty that you do NOT enjoy this derivative TRIPE. It's hardly even modal for crying out loud, m'ladies. Try some classier and older records, 'tis a joy to hear the complex techniques.

I actually avoided this album for a long time too but unlike you I thought there was no way it could be that bad and it must just be Sup Forums exaggerating as usual, so I went in expecting it to be pretty good, if maybe not great.

I was wrong though, it's even worse than Sup Forums makes it out to be. I don't understand how anyone who considers themselves even a casual jazz listener can think this album is above average in any way. In fact I don't think I've ever even seen anyone talk about why it's good or above average at all. The reasons people like it are always
>he's Japanese!
>sweet A E S T H E T I C cover art bro
>self-taught at age 22!

Seriously, just go to a local jazz jam session and you are almost guaranteed to hear better jazz than this.

Evans fans
>wow, I can't imagine anybody would enjoy this unless they've never heard Bill Evans who is objectively better in every way.

Fukui fans
>EVERYONE WHO DOESNT LIKE EXACTLY WHAT I LIKE AND CAN TALK INTELLIGENTLY ABOUT WHY THEY LIKE IT IS A FEDORA! Haha M'LADY haha

Are you forgetting where you are? Being able to talk intelligently about music is a bad thing now. The most we are allowed to discuss music here is
>Its good because I like it
or
>its bad because I don't like it

Anything beyond that is just being complexist

What's everybody's favorite jazz album besides Scenery?

Here's mine. I'm pretty sure George Harrison is the greatest jazz guitarist of all time.

This is exactly the problem with most jazz musicians (or a certain breed of them that is way too common).
It's not about the music, i'ts about how difficult the jazz equations are.
The more jazzy masturbation one can fit into a bar, the better.
And before you ask, yes i studied music theory.

Pretty clever how you managed to avoid addressing the point of that post at all and went off on some unrelated tangent.

Still haven't seen one person give a single reason that this album is special or above average in any way.

>And before you ask, yes i studied music theory.
Ok mr theory expert. How would you analyze this progression?

It's comfy.
It's not necessarily a particularly advanced or well executed "jazz" album.
But this is music not a pissing contest.
I'm not doing your homework for you boyo.

lol let me guess, you learned a couple major scales and now you're highly trained in music theory, right?

>comfy
That's a description of your feelings when you listen to this. It's not a description of the music or why it's good.

this

I can see how you'd think this album was good if you've never heard another jazz album or if you've only heard Charlie Brown or whatever but if you've heard even 2 or 3 other jazz albums from an essentials chart or something it should be pretty obvious that this band and their style of playing is really mediocre

kek I always love it when someone claims to "know theory" and then gets called on their bluff

god i hate you

He's too complex bro. Too much wank. Pic related is the true greatest jazz guitarist. Only a complexist would disagree.

another one of these blatant shill threads, sage and report people

youtube recommending this album to a bunch of people at the exact same time a year or two ago wasn't a coincidence, his manager or label or whoever the fuck paid them to push his shit super hard to anyone that regularly searches for music beyond the most popular radio shit and OP and everyone else is a part of the same thing

the album itself isn't egregiously bad or anything but even considering how fucking awful and musically uneducated the average listener is there is no reason it should be past three and a half million views, it's uninspired derivative garbage at its core and the pianist plays like horseshit

nah man, he plays like a laid back tatum.
have you listened to it?

>Discussing music not deeply than "I like/don't like it" is complexist
>Posting on music dsicussion board

Would you prefer to just up or down vote things? Because I heard there's a plebsite for that

I can see the irony and sarcasm of that post sailed right over your head

See

Disliking things that I like and being able to give reasons why you dislike them is complexist

Disliking things that I like and recommending me things that are better is complexist.

Giving reasons why you think (thing you like) is better than (thing I like) is complexist.

2017 Sup Forums
best Sup Forums

>Some fuckin obscure Japanese jazz piano dude from the 70s deciding decades later to somehow convince Youtube massively push one his albums in hope that it will undergo an explosion in popularity through that one platform

>I'm not doing your homework for you
every fucking time

If you actually had studied even beginner theory this would take you about 30 seconds at most to analyze

As a dude who has a degree in jazz performance.....yes. I'm looking at you Ari Hoenig.
For the record though this is pretty much only the case with a certain style of modern jazz which is like less than 10% of the overall genre

Youtube probably shills this video because they don't have to pay for the rights for it. The dude is dead and probably never even made any money off his music.

Why does Japanese music get a free pass to derivative as fuck?

xDd