Listened to this for the first time today. It's good I guess...

Listened to this for the first time today. It's good I guess. What the fuck are so many of you so incredibly enamored with? Honestly found it totally unremarkable. Is it nostalgia for you? Is it a "good for it's time" thing? What's the deal?

Listen to it again
and again
and again

Maybe try listening again? Idk it just might not be your thing. It's probably my favorite album, because it tackles like all of my favorite genres (indie folk, noise rock, ambient/drone) and does them all so well and it's so cohesive and seamless despite being so varied. It's also extremely emotionally charged and even if I didn't understand a word Phil was saying I'd still feel the same sadness and intense emotion from it. The production is also incredible, and Phil does a great job working with what he has, and despite the album being so long I don't think a second was wasted and it keeps my attention throughout

>Listened to this for the first time today
That's the problem. You need to walk away from it for a while and come back to it later.

what's it like to not have feelings?

I intend to at least a couple times. We'll see I guess.

That's the thing. I like all the genres, stylistic elements, and moods that would lead me to believe I would like this album, but I found it pretty unmoving. I think I was put off by the lyrics being just kind of vague depressing theme lyrics. Made me feel like it was phoned in. I think it is something about the vocal. The album has everything I should like but I think I don't like the personality I'm getting from the vocal so I don't trust the music and can't take the emotions seriously.

I'm a big ol baby when it comes to music. Shed a tear regularly from a great track. Didn't feel much here. Don't know what to tell you.

A general rule I've learned; Listen to an album about 4 times.

If you don't like it after listen 4, then it's not for you.

Again, it's just something that has to sink in. The themes of nature, isolation, and depression are not really vague at all they're just not completely obvious.

Why did you even make this thread?

I've listened to it a dozen times over several years.
Like you I'm unmoved.
Maybe one day it will "click" (I know this happens with albums) but so far no good.
I'll try it again over the next week or so.

Probably my favorite album (and it's the best time of the year to listen to it)
Like other anons have said, it's how emotionally charged and varied the music is, along with some incredible acoustic arrangements and effects that have aged gracefully. I also feel that the lyrics on some of these songs is underappreciated (seriously, I Felt My SIze and My Roots Are Strong and Deep are amazing tracks)

it just never left an impression on me

this. almost all of my favorite albums didn't click at all until like the 2nd or 3rd full listen.

Before i had any context for this album i thought it was some kind of emo record, but after i listened over and over again and learned more about production and recording it became truly remarkable to me.

There's nothing like it, the way the guitars are recorded, the use of stereo field, the way the drum kit is recorded and the fuzzy overdrive and kind of honest clumsiness of the whole thing make it totally unique.

Honestly this album really clicked when I was outside in the rain for my job and I had ear buds in and noe it's probably one of my favorite albums

don't bother, it's really nothing special. It's not exactly a bad album, but to think it's the best thing out there isn't true. I can see why some people think it is since phil can properly convey his feelings into the music and i guess the combination of noise rock, drone and folk appeals to some people. But at the end of the day there's tons of albums that do this same combination but much better, and there's also a bunch of more emotional, much more devastating albums. Just don't feel bad about not liking an album that everyone likes

Unless you have low testosterone, it's never gonna click for you

what albums do the combination of noise rock, drone and folk better?

t. nu male

He's not going to answer you, yknow. It's all just pseud-babble which has been repeated ten thousand times for a thousand hours.

Well some japanese artists like Kengo Iuchi, Keiji Haino and make some very noisey folk music, and for drone and folk there's some of Earth's latest proyects and also the side proyect from the singer of Cukor Byla Smert. There's also Jim O'Rourke but he doesn't exactly make either drone or noise so idk. And there's also that one letov side project that's really cool. Go check this all

Yeah, I'm sure Earth's forgotten late career discography is better. You've essentially proven you have no idea what you're talking about.

>s it nostalgia for you
a lot of it is. i dont listen to a lot of overtly emotional stuff anymore like i did when i was 13-17 or whatever but i really related to it at the time. i think he does a great job of creating an atmosphere and aesthetic that feels organic and honest. some cool stereo mixing stuff and interesting song structures. i liked the lyrics too as a teen. but if i heard it for the first time now i probably wouldnt think much of it. so it is a lot nostalgia

natural snow buildings - the dance of the sun and the moon

that was my other favorite album when i was 15 along with glow pt 2

>The production is also incredible
>clipping drums