>huge ratings decline
>president steps down after a year

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XmSdTa9kaiQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Youtube for your music needs

It's mentality unstable as a channel, it doesn't know what it wants to be

Is it for rednecks with shit like Jackass? Is it for wiggers with most of shit it's been having? Is it for nerds with shit like RJ Berger?

Back when Beavis & Butthead returned, Mike Judge later said that they didn't renew it for more than the one season because MTV's target demographic is now "12-14 year old girls."

When you look at the schlock they put out these days, the Teen Moms, the Real World with the ex-partner twists, Teen Wolf & Scream, Catfish, Wild 'n Out, etc. ... well, it's not hard to believe him.

>Main format of the entire channel was playing music videos
>Internet made that concept obsolete
>Make a bunch of successful "reality" TV shows
>Those eventually come to an end and now have nothing to fall back on
>Start a video campaign about checking your white male privilege

MTV has no where left to go. Just watch it die from a distance

They literally could just make about as much money as fucking youtube channel playing music videos and whatnot.

Yup, youtube killed television, except for HBO and sports.

Supposedly MTV development execs were a train wreck to deal with and competition for viewers is now insanely high

They keep making shows targeted mainly towards black people, but don't realize that black people don't watch TV or own cable.

Jackass was mtvs rock bottom, only reason it hasn't disappeared is cause the name still has some cultural relevance.

the 90s are over

What the fuck is MTV?

Internet, which is why the jews are trying to kill it

Bring back TRL.

Actually, I'm not even sure that would work.

But, they really need to get back to being a music channel first-most.

WHEN IS SHANNARA CHRONICLES SEASON TWO SENPAI?

VICE ate their lunch.

>Internet made that concept obsolete
I disagree. I visited Canada and watched Much Music. The shit was so good that it brought a tear to my eye.

MTV hasn't had music in years though

who else has seem multiple seasons of the real world and the challenge here?

one of my favorite "reality" series

They sold out and got what they deserve for doing so
In TRLs last years they didn't even play the whole music video. Might be wrong about that.
They have shit ratings too, last I heard
read the books

>aim at demographic that is increasingly disinterested in television
>surprised when ratings plummet

>In TRLs last years they didn't even play the whole music video

More like, throughout its history.

Usually the bottom-half of the selection would get less air time, iirc.

Eitherway, they showed way more music when TRL was new than they were doing when it ended.

Do people saying YouTube killed it: back in the 90s when I was a teenager pople like me who were actually into music hate mtv because they didn't play music. Back then mtv2 was the only recourse or downloading mp3s over 28.8 dialup modem.

They could always launch more music news shows and maybe sign deals with record labels that let them air music videos weeks before they get released online.
Of course that's not going to stop anyone from recording them off their TV and posting them on YouTube, but I'd rather see MTV barely scraping by and still playing music than shit reality shows and bottom of the barrel stoner garbage.

>this was MTV in 1991

what went wrong?

Catfish is alright albeit insanely repetitive

All it took was Bowie calling them out on racial hypocrisy and that suddenly meant they had to pander to uppity negroes from Compton.

It was that Real World Road Rules garbage.

>Largest demographic is white people
>Make all your programming hostile towards them

They really overestimated the white guilt/cuck market.

It's mostly shit now too. They actually run the same trash as MTV but being a specialty channel they are required to run something like 50% music or programs related to music in order to keep their license

Just things coming full circle.
For the first few years of MTV, they wouldn't play any black artists except MJ and Prince.

Too left wing. The entire channel is basically reality shows about trannies and fags. They're tailoring their shit towards a market that is like 2% of the population, and a market that's already served by the Bravo network.

>it will never be the 80s or 90s again
youtube.com/watch?v=XmSdTa9kaiQ