Anyone read Norm's memoir yet? Funniest stories I've ever read about SNL and Hollywood

Anyone read Norm's memoir yet? Funniest stories I've ever read about SNL and Hollywood.

The chapter about Don Rickles has me HOWLING.

who here /oldjack/

I've read it. I hope he writes more.

the old jack story was fucking scary, when he describes his eyes looking like the cat. i wonder if norm actually got abused

Is there a word for kino in book form?

I never knew how badly Rodney Dangerfield was treated by everyone, no wonder the guy coped with comedy.

Listened to the audiobook. He gives an excellent reading. Hardest I've laughed all year.

The make a wish kid story is awesome.

That sounds like it's worth the Audible credit.

But he told you in every act about the lack of respect he received.

I've listened to it twice and will probably listen again. It's really great.

I've never actually watched his standup, I've only seen his stage confessionals where he relays how people treat him. It's heartbreaking.

Yeah it gave me actual chills. I have no doubt it's a true story.

norm please go

its mandatory to read this whole book in norms voice, that prison rape chapter had me laffin, and I was on an overnight flight too.

>foreword by Louis Cuck

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

>ywn go to whiskey pete's and have fried bread and molasses with norm

>I've never actually watched his standup, I've only seen his stage confessionals where he relays how people treat him. It's heartbreaking.

lol, what? Why would you be interested in Rodney if you hadn't experienced his amazing stand-up?

>He said when he returned to Canada he felt apart from other men and felt closer to little children, who hadn't yet learned to hate.

This book was great. Left me thoroughly confused but I loved it. About to pick it up again.

It's not for lack of trying, but every video I find is just him on stage pouring his damn heart out. The worst part is some sick fuck usually adds in a laugh track to mock the man at his most vulnerable.

Then he raped him.

Watch his Carson sets. He worked clean just as well as blue, so his TV spots were great.

Yes, in 24 hrs couldnt put it down its brilliant.

It's not a laugh track, it's the same nervous laughter that escaped the shocked listeners as when Don Rickles abused, harassed and belittled those around him. Truly regrettable stuff what Don did to Norm.

Did anyone understand the last chapter? If the ghostwriter was murdered how and why did Norm get his writing?

I forgot.

As The Bard said, "If there be reason for these miseries, then into limits could I bind my woes, you gotta be kidding' me!"

t. asshole

Spoiler alert: the fat man w synthetic hair is Norm

dumb louisfan

He paints such a nice picture of this humble house hand and then sneaks it upon you. I had to reread the page a few times to see if I was comprehending that right.

But in all reality that story was the bs one to narrate through the past ones, right??

It's so confusing. In an early chapter Norm goes:

>“It’s like when a guy is telling a story and he’s way off and you know he is because the whole story is about you. But he’s changing it all around, leaving out important parts and making up others from whole cloth, doing whatever he has to do to turn the dead stuff of life into something worth telling. And you’d correct him, but the thing is, you’re not sure you remember it a hundred percent accurately yourself. It turns out your memory isn’t the precise court stenographer you think it is, getting every word down just so. It’s more like the sketch artist way at the back of the courtroom who is doing his level best to capture images that no longer are.

He also foreshadows it with the story of the cat who only knows one word: meow, who then decides to torture a mouse.

Favorite passages?

>Jokes should never elicit applause, Lori Jo insisted. A joke should catch people by surprise; it should never pander. Applause is voluntary, but laughter is involuntary.

The prison rape stuff had me howling.

>Jim told me I had to think up a line to introduce the segment every week. The two best anchors were Dennis Miller, who opened the segment with "I'm Dennis Miller and what can I tell you," and Chevy Chase, who opened his with "I'm Chevy Chase and you're not."

>I suggested, "I'm Norm Macdonald and here's a string of jokes." The group initially seemed amused but ultimately hated it.

>"I'm Chevy Chase and you're not."

Hard to believe the arrogant, smarmy wise-ass routine got laughs like it did. I'm a GenXer, and it was actually pretty funny at the time, because it was all tongue in cheek and self-deprecating at the same time. But still. Couldn't happen now.

I think the act was satire lampooning the authoritarian alpha-male American news anchor, like Ron Burgandy, but with Chevy Chase it was part reality, so it's confusing.

When?!

Yeah I initially saw it as a comedic line. I'm wondering if his unfortunate personality lead to that line or if that line kind of shaped his personality.

Letterman also confirmed he's going on

Fuck is this a great read?

I didn't end up picking it up bc I heard it's not really about Norm but him straying off to different shit but I guess that's just him.

A lot of it is exaggerated (on purpose). Regardless, it was one of the funniest thing's I've listened to. It's kind of a satire on these celebrity memoirs and telling insider stories about other famous people.

Although there is lots of exaggerations, I think what he wrote about Gambling is sincere.

>I've listened to

What?

I listened to the Audiobook, Read by Norm himself

I didn't understand the part in the book about the woman crying on the lift. Was there a joke in there?

Whats wrong with audible? :(

It's up on torrent sites

Yeah, I torrented the audiobook. Although I am planning on buying the book later this week, possibly a second copy as a gift for a friend.

comedy is drawn from real life experiences

sad to think about with some comedians

Literature.