ITT: Post albums you think are overrated and others explain to you why they think it's not

ITT: Post albums you think are overrated and others explain to you why they think it's not

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GBs3ived_Zw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>don't explain why you think they're overrated
>request people to retort to your groundless assessment

wut

Well for one, it's boring.

>inb4 not an argument
Most music can keep me interested, long songs aren't a problem either.

But everything on this is very easy to lose focus on.
20 seconds into a song and it just becomes a wall of noise going in one ear and out the other.

The only distinctive part to me is the drums.

Otherwise it just sounds overblown.

Daydream Nation makes more sense in the grand scheme of their discography than on its own. The first time I listened to it it was basically just 70 minutes of guitar noise but after a few more listens I started parsing out details and enjoying it more. I have no qualms about saying that songs like Hey Joni, Silver Rocket, Candle and 'Cross The Breeze are probably some of my favorite alt rock songs. In the grander scheme though this album marks the point where the band were able to cut through their artsy abstractions enough with catchy melodies and songwriting to actually make something resembling a conventionally enjoyable record. Still not a wholly accessible one but one that's definitely easier than Confusion is Sex or Bad Moon Rising. Sister was basically there but Daydream Nation ironed out the last few kinks and struck a still better balance, one that the band has arguably never struck since (though for my money Sonic Nurse gets close).

Do you like any other Sonic Youth album?
>But everything on this is very easy to lose focus on.
The same happens to me, but I find their no wave albums to be very compelling. Try their s/t.

I don't know what I could tell you, buddy. If you listen to tracks like The Sprawl, Candle or Cross the Breeze and still need someone to explain to you why Daydream Nation is a classic album, then it's just not for you.

Try Sister, Bad Moon Rising or Washing Machine if you still feel like giving SY a chance

play it louder

OK COMPUTER IS THE MOST OVERRATED ALBUM IVE EVER HEARD AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HUBBUB IS ABOUT. ID RATHER LISTEN TO THE BENDS OR IN RAINBOWS HONESTLY.

>would rather listen to the album before they went all dystopian paranoia and the album after they stopped being all about dystopian paranoia

I think I found your problem.

murray street is underrated

I think it's underrated. You don't really here anyone outside of Sup Forums talking about Pet Sounds or the Beach Boys in general. Also, it's a fantastic album, though I think Smile would've been better had it been finished in the 60's.

Just raw emotion and purity. Everything about this album radiates a purity that makes me feel warm inside. There's nothing musically complex about it , but there doesn't have to be any complexity in it. If you usually like yoru music to be super grand and complex then you may need to take a step back to truly appreciate this one.

>You don't really here anyone outside of Sup Forums talking about Pet Sounds

It's probably the most critically acclaimed album ever.

It's good, but not nearly as good as I thought it would be. I genuinely want to like it but i dont really enjoy alot of the songs.

>a wall of noise
I mean I would understand that criticism if this was something like Confusion is Sex or some other really noisy noise rock but this album is the beginning of their non-"wall of noise" period.

Thom was tired of the same structure on previous albums so he wanted to experiment with electronic music and that's what happened, for me its great because you can't compare it to Ok Computer (the previous masterpiece for a lot of people) they are way too different and good on their own style.

I don't agree, but I think Sister is better
My only argument about daydream nation would be that it doesn't exactly feel as raw as their eralier albums, but at least it's not Dirty

also any other anco album post debut

That baby album by nirvana

This

and most definitely this

Their earlier albums and ep's were bettter desu senpai

Loveless is 10/10 but their earlier stuff doesn't get the recognition is deserves.

Patrician opinion

Nevermind has always been overrated. Literally any other Nirvana album blew (pun not intended) Nevermind out of the water.

how can anyone dislike this? is it too happy or childish for you? I love the way they use fairly nonsense lyrics that somehow come together to actually make a meaning, as well as the god-tier production and synths

You have to have a thorough grasp of Hamlet, Henry IV, Henry V, Guenon Social Theory, and an ear for Bach to truly understand it.

>Nardonaya Volya literature

Agreed
EVOL>Goo=Murray Street=Sister>Dirty>DN=Confusion is Sex

One of my favorite albums, but I'm not much of a critic. I mean it's no Pink Floyd or anything, but the emotion is so raw and lyrics so relatable for some people. youtube.com/watch?v=GBs3ived_Zw

Kid A is the kind of album that you'll initially be on the fence about, but let some time pass, be familiar with the songs and pretty soon it will just fucking click. And when it does, it is crazy.

get your panties out of a wad. jeez.

Most overrated album ever. "When you sleep" is the only song that I liked.

Souvlaki > this

Everything Kanye ever

are we really going to have this thread every day? anyone who doesn't like ddn is a pleb

It's because they melodies all come from the guitar, they're all very simple and the vocals just mimic the guitar melodies and the bass just plays the root notes most of the time. That's it.

>the vocals just mimic the guitar melodies

Once I noticed this Sonic Youth was ruined for me

That's the point of the thread, dumbass.

It's overrated, but still good.

Absolutely
you made me realise is the greatest ep of all time. It is essential noise pop. Isn't anything is a 10/10. Their other eps are essential as well

Normies listen to Wouldn't It Be Nice senpai

I'll say it the same way I always say it. The beauty of DDN is the multitude of emotions they use noise to express. You can look at Silver Rocket, where there's really nothing to frame the noise and it's pure aggression. You can look at The Sprawl where they use a lullaby riff to make the noise sound so heartbreaking. You can look at Total Trash where they make the noise sound like apathetic destruction. And you can look at Candle where they contrast it with the dissonant main riff to make it sound joyful. They make something so formless into something with so much form, and I haven't heard another band do that.

seconding this

opposite for me, I liked it at first but it got worse with repeat plays. Ironically, Amnesiac is my favorite RH album

its pretty neat fusion of shoegaze and glitch
I highly recommend you listen this with nice headphones or a sick stereo system. However, the album is odd because some of the tracks feel out of place.

everything about this album is saccharine without being corny, dreamy without being pretentious. production is layered and interesting, and simple moments like dsco stand out.

going to make a point to listen to that album tomorrow, actually, thanks for reminding me.

Most overrated to moderately overrated

Porter Robinson
1000 Hurts
M83's albums
Everything King Gizzard has put out this year
Neu!
Surfer Rosa
Anything by Beach House
You're Living All Over Me
Daydream Nation
Loveless

I love Amnesiac but Dollars and Cents just ruins the flow of the album for me. Remove that song, and everything else is a 11/10 from beginning to end. This is where Kid A shines in terms of a cohesive feel. It just sounds and feels strong as an album, even Treefingers sounds like it belongs. Amnesiac is a strong collection of songs from the same era which are not as cohesive as Kid A.

Just listen to Can.
Don't waste your time with Radiohead.

Damn, meant to reply to this

>Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors just ruins the flow of the album for me. Remove that song
fixed

COMPLETE pleb

National anthem is worse in that case

Plebus maximus

>Everything King Gizzard has put out this year
>Anything by Beach House
Seconded. Anything those bands do just flat out annoys me.

I'll give it another shot

>1000 Hurts
This album does feel show-offy to me. 1000 Hurts is one of those albums that sort of exists to experiment and influence. If you're a musician/recording artist or producer it's especially good for inspiration on how to play, produce, etc. The album just tries and creates so many styles but nothing lasts long which is an issue. But it's a really good album all in all, by that point most of the band members were playing at virtuoso level. Just listen to that fucking "solo" near the end of Shoe Song, I've never heard anything like it, not even in noise rock. Their other albums are more enjoyable though.

Always felt the same way about it. There are a few moments where their style feels distinguished, but the rest is audio chloroform.

(you) must be new here

THIS.
Loveless is still their most consistent work but their absolute best tracks are spread across their earlier work
>Never Say Goodbye
>You Made Me Realise
>Slow
>(When You Wake) You're Still In A Dream
>You Never Should (Most underrated song of theirs imo, probably my favorite overall)
>Nothing Much To Lose
>Off Your Face
>Honey Power (Best Kevin's guitar has ever sounded holy shit)

That's why I'll never agree with people who say MBV are overrated and only Loveless is worthwile..
Fuck no

Someone please tell me I'm wrong because I do want to like it. It just rubs me the wrong way.

dirty has some great tracks. but i think you're right about daydream nation/sister, summed my thoughts up exactly.

daydream nation is a more beautiful album than sister though - and the beauty on a sonic youth record is different to an album by leonard cohen or joanna newsom. its chaotic, asymmetrical, imperfect.. which allows it to be transcendent in a different way to a neat ballad. in the good parts of ddn the waves of sound really feel to me like they're summing up life completely.

Where the fuck is Drive it all over me?

Saturation 1 and 2
Everybody's acting like what they're doing is new and innovative, but it's honestly pretty shallow pop-rap. Not to say there isn't good pop music, it's just that these albums are painfully bland and forgettable, and even a bit obnoxious at times. I genuinely can't see why they're so praised.

The album cover is really cool, I guess? I dunno. I never really thought Merriweather Post Pavillion was anything particularly special.

Souvlaki is for peasants and basic bitches